• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS playoff system needs to be overhauled

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
TheRealJacks said:
Firm believer if schedule better non conference games with your record right now, you are in or highly considered. Your schedule this year did not do you justice. EWU did get screwed. Nicholls should not be in

The thing about EWU is even though they had a difficult schedule, they didn't beat any of the best teams. They had to hang their hat on beating Montana, which I don't think was very impressive.

Yet NAU couldnt’ even do that, and there they are.

We can go around and around forever, but from my perspective SUU and Weber are the only BSC team that deserved to be in the playoffs. The expansion from 16 to 24 has done nothing but water down the playoffs and make it a big deal about which 7-4 team should they decide on for the last couple spots. From my perspective, who cares.

YSU would not have been in the playoffs last year in a 16 team playoff....and they made the championship game.

AZGrizFan said:
TheRealJacks said:
bhumble said:
SoldierGriz said:
Here's the "perfect" system for the Griz. Win the BSC. Remember? Used to be pretty automatic....three home playoff games. That's the perfect system.

next year.

Firm believer if schedule better non conference games with your record right now, you are in or highly considered. Your schedule this year did not do you justice. EWU did get screwed. Nicholls should not be in

Funny thing about that....we HAD a better non-conference game scheduled.... :roll:
Whew! That would have made for another 6-5.

2011BisonAlumni said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
The thing about EWU is even though they had a difficult schedule, they didn't beat any of the best teams. They had to hang their hat on beating Montana, which I don't think was very impressive.

We can go around and around forever, but from my perspective SUU and Weber are the only BSC team that deserved to be in the playoffs. The expansion from 16 to 24 has done nothing but water down the playoffs and make it a big deal about which 7-4 team should they decide on for the last couple spots. From my perspective, who cares.
YSU would not have been in the playoffs last year in a 16 team playoff....and they made the championship game.
So what? Someone else could have been JMU's patsy.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
TheRealJacks said:
bhumble said:
next year.

Funny thing about that....we HAD a better non-conference game scheduled.... :roll:
Whew! That would have made for another 6-5.

Yet that 9-2 team couldn’t make the round of 24.

kemajic said:
Back when they further expanded to 24 teams and moved the NC game to January, I did some research and found that a team ranked less the top 12 had never won it. Participation ribbons for several more than needed.

Exactly. Overhaul the system by narrowing it down to 16. Can't win? Don't deserve to get in.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Here is your fix. Go back to 20 teams and only take the top 2 finishers in each Conference. No more selection committee.

+1000000 infinity.

Which would be just peachy except everybody doesn’t play everybody. Until THAT day this won’t work.

WIN YOUR f***[*] LEAGUE. PERIOD. I KNOW you're not from the f***[*] participation trophy generation.
Eat a snickers! And then tell us your master plan for a shared title or 3 way tie for 2nd place.

Igotgoodsources said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
+1000000 infinity.

Which would be just peachy except everybody doesn’t play everybody. Until THAT day this won’t work.

WIN YOUR f***[*] LEAGUE. PERIOD. I KNOW you're not from the f***[*] participation trophy generation.
Eat a snickers! And then tell us your master plan for a shared title or 3 way tie for 2nd place.

Tiebreakers. Ever hear of them.

AZGrizFan said:
So USD gets in despite losing 4 of it’s last 5.

NAU gets a “pass” on the Montana loss, apparently, otherwise the obvious choice would have been EWU...

NAU finished .500 in the MVFC - any team that does that gets in.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
TheRealJacks said:

Compared to Nicholls, Monmouth, UNH - BSC should have had at least 4 in.

I've got a buddy who's going to school out in Delaware and we're both staying at our campus over thanksgiving rather than dealing with Bison fans back in North Dakota. Not been a fun year.

grizare#1 said:
Not that the griz deserve to be in but way to many teams left out with better win/loss records than ones that did. The MVC bias is out of control.
It's not only about record, many things are taken into context.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kemajic said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

So what? Someone else could have been JMU's patsy.

It’s pretty simple. Once the Big Sky actually becomes a good conference, top to bottom, again, you’ll be clamoring for an 8-3 Griz team to get in over a 2 loss OVC team who played nobody. I prefer to see the best teams play in the tournament. Sometimes that means one conference carries the weight of having the best teams. So be it.

Do you advocate for letting more undeserving mid major teams into the NCAA basketball tournament over 20 win ACC teams who played a brutal schedule?

HelenaHandBasket said:
Igotgoodsources said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

How you plan to do that when everyone doesnt play everyone?

Igotgoodsources said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Igotgoodsources said:
SoldierGriz said:

How you plan to do that when everyone doesnt play everyone?

Head-to-head isn't the only tiebreaker? How do you think they do it now?

More visibility on what lead to deciding at large selections would be nice. I thought there were some documented criteria/considerations like playoff history, hot/cold streak, SoS, etc. but apparently it's not followed, or perhaps it's just a myth.

Not that EWU is entitled to get in. They had their chance to beat the top the two in the Big Sky and didn't do it - one of them at home. But taking NAU over EWU? Just leave off the third Big Sky team and only take SUU/WSU in that case.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
TheRealJacks said:
bhumble said:
next year.

Under the circumstances of that game and that we beat MVFC Illinois State is a better win than Fordham

Back