• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

East Coast Arrogance

GrizPony said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
But is it best in space????

Kessman's year playing for the Phoenix didn't burn his Covid year so rumor is he's coming back next fall. BOOM!

It would make for a hell of an opening day. As long as Dae Dae, Pantera & Ron Ash are in the stands.

As an example, they call them MASSHOLES for a reason.

East cost arrogance and condescension is definitely a thing. But then again, I got people from Maryland, Staten Island, Maine, PA, etc, who are all wonderful people. Hence, I won't make the claim at this point that everything from VA and north needs to drop into the Atlantic, never to be seen again.

But, it's definitely a thing in my experience.

Montanabear777 said:

East cost arrogance and condescension is definitely a thing. But then again, I got people from Maryland, Staten Island, Maine, PA, etc, who are all wonderful people. Hence, I won't make the claim at this point that everything from VA and north needs to drop into the Atlantic, never to be seen again.

You've pretty much provided the definition of a stereotype. Lots of folks from the east coast are arrogant, but not all of us. I'm sure it applies to a portion of the JMU fan base. You could use the same argument for Montana stereotypes: that you're all poorly educated inbred hillbillies from a fly-over state. I'm certain that doesn't apply to all of you, but I'm sure you all know a few Montanans that would fit that description. :D

ChicagoDuke said:
Montanabear777 said:

You've pretty much provided the definition of a stereotype. Lots of folks from the east coast are arrogant, but not all of us. I'm sure it applies to a portion of the JMU fan base. You could use the same argument for Montana stereotypes: that you're all poorly educated inbred hillbillies from a fly-over state. I'm certain that doesn't apply to all of you, but I'm sure you all know a few Montanans that would fit that description. :D

Virginia has the best of both worlds. :lol:

ChicagoDuke said:
Montanabear777 said:

Oh, without a doubt!! I agree with you 100%. Let's not forget, I think the most oft used stereotype for us has to do with us and sheep... No idea where it came from, but apparently, it is assumed far and wide. :D :D :D :D

Montanabear777 said:
ChicagoDuke said:

Oh, without a doubt!! I agree with you 100%. Let's not forget, I think the most oft used stereotype for us has to do with us and sheep... No idea where it came from, but apparently, it is assumed far and wide. :D :D :D :D

Damned sheep. Always runnin’ their mouths…. :evil: :evil:

AZGrizFan said:
Montanabear777 said:

Damned sheep. Always runnin’ their mouths…. :evil: :evil:

My brother had a joke once, that the secret to keeping them quiet and compliant was to utilize a cliff side.....

I almost vomited in my own mouth.

I love most every one of CD's posts, but this is an Immediate classic. He comes here to eGriz and perfectly describes the North Dakota State fan, and does not seem to recognize it. :shock: :shock: :shock:

ChicagoDuke said:
You could use the same argument for Montana stereotypes: that you're all poorly educated inbred hillbillies from a fly-over state. I'm certain that doesn't apply to all of you, but I'm sure you all know a few Montanans that would fit that description. :D

Proud Griz Man said:
I love most every one of CD's posts, but this is an Immediate classic. He comes here to eGriz and perfectly describes the North Dakota State fan, and does not seem to recognize it. :shock: :shock: :shock:

ChicagoDuke said:
You could use the same argument for Montana stereotypes: that you're all poorly educated inbred hillbillies from a fly-over state. I'm certain that doesn't apply to all of you, but I'm sure you all know a few Montanans that would fit that description. :D

My thoughts exactly 😄

And Montana as a “flyover” state? Lol dude has clearly never been ...

1983 Griz said:
Long time reader, first time poster.

I am a firm believer that a key component of success is a healthy respect for your adversary - whether in business or sports. Over the years, I have experienced first-hand, business professionals from parts east of the Mississippi display a condescending attitude toward me and my Montana colleagues. It is like they thought they were dealing with Jed Clampett.

Since Saturday, I have received texts from current and former east coast residents feeling the need to explain the superiority of the CAA and the weakness of the Big Sky. They use the first game losses of Davis and Sac State to illustrate their point. They do not believe the Grizzlies belong on the same field as JMU and that the Dukes are going "destroy" the Griz.

Let me be clear, I have the utmost admiration for JMU and their football team. This not about the team or the majority of their fans. This is about an arrogance that has proven ineffective against Bobby and this group of Grizzlies. Just ask Talolo Limu-Jones how it worked out for the Eagles on Friday night. As Bobbie said in the post-game press conference - "Don't poke the Bear".

Up with Montana Boys!
This bias towards Montanans and the Midwest comes from both coasts. No to blow my own horn too much, but I studied under 2 of the 5 top researchers in my area of study during graduate school. One day, we hosted a famous researcher from UCLA at their home because the researcher was giving a talk at our university.

The famous researcher preceded to go from graduate student to graduate student asking them where they earned their undergraduate degree and then asking them what their graduate work was about.

When this famous researcher got to me, I answered that I graduated from the University of Montana. He immediately turned and walked away, never another question.

Anyway--screw the bias.

Yes, JMU is a pretty smug fanbase, and they'll be that way win or lose. The key is, don't lose, they are much better to deal with if you hang an L on them.

I don't think it's an east coast thing necessarily. Upity universities folks are smug, JMU meets that criteria. Big city folks out east on the other hand like NY, Boston, DC . . . are intentional about putting down anyone in a flyover state, it's just their nature. They are not as dumb as they try to come off, it is intentional to put others down. Don't know where Montana is? Come on I don't buy that, it's just their way to be superior.

Herd said:
Yes, JMU is a pretty smug fanbase, and they'll be that way win or lose. The key is, don't lose, they are much better to deal with if you hang an L on them.

I don't think it's an east coast thing necessarily. Upity universities folks are smug, JMU meets that criteria. Big city folks out east on the other hand like NY, Boston, DC . . . are intentional about putting down anyone in a flyover state, it's just their nature. They are not as dumb as they try to come off, it is intentional to put others down. Don't know where Montana is? Come on I don't buy that, it's just their way to be superior.

So true. When the subject of undergrad comes up with an east coaster, and he says, “I couldn’t even point to Montana on a map” or something of the like, I want to say, “Oh, I didn’t know you were stupid.” What was it? Fifth grade?

Proud Griz Man said:

ChicagoDuke said:

I went to the other side of the continental divide to Bozeman one time and I thought they were arrogant and obsessive about a certain team & loud, then I told my brother in-law to shut the hell up! :lol:

...fortunately arrogance is treatable...
...you just smack it in the mouth...
...it works 100% of the time...

...fjmu...

zengriz said:

...fjmu...
As Hank, Jr. would say - an attitude adjustment

kemajic said:
zengriz said:

...fjmu...
As Hank, Jr. would say - an attitude adjustment

Night_Football_Hank_Williams.JPG.jpg

Ursa Major said:
GrizPony said:
Kessman's year playing for the Phoenix didn't burn his Covid year so rumor is he's coming back next fall. BOOM!

It would make for a hell of an opening day. As long as Dae Dae, Pantera & Ron Ash are in the stands.

POTY

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back