• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Early EGriz BSC Poll

thirdandlong said:
uofmman1122 said:
If you think putting us at #1 is stupid, but putting us anywhere but #1 is cowardly, where are we supposed to put our team, according to you?

You put them where you believe they will finish. And, if you predict they win the Sky, and they don't, what then? Another "wait-till-next-year"?
I don't think we're going to win the conference because we don't have the easiest schedule, which is what almost always determines who wins it.

mthoopsfan said:
No FCS coach would ever be fired, or put on the hot seat, for being 8-5, making the playoffs, winning a playoff game, and losing only to 5 playoff teams, 3 of which were seeded. Whether the qb was healthy or not.

Wrong. NDSU EXPECTS to win the national championship every year. Last year they made it there but took second, and a lot of folks are NOT happy about that. My how things have changed. I remember with the entire country expected Montana to make it to the chipper every year. They were that good. Not anymore.

thirdandlong said:
uofmman1122 said:
If you think putting us at #1 is stupid, but putting us anywhere but #1 is cowardly, where are we supposed to put our team, according to you?

You put them where you believe they will finish. And, if you predict they win the Sky, and they don't, what then? Another "wait-till-next-year"?

No. It depends on how far the team advances in the playoffs. That's the measurement of success, along with post-season poll ranking. Those are two are obviously related. Games won and lost affect seeding, but are otherwise largely irrelevant if the the team has made the playoffs.

uofmman1122 said:
thirdandlong said:
I don't think we're going to win the conference because we don't have the easiest schedule, which is what almost always determines who wins it.

So, you're saying our schedule is not easy? Outside of Idaho on the road, what other game troubles you? And, my question is........... did our teams from Dennehy, Glenn, & Hauck 1.0 worry about the toughness of our schedule? We dominated every schedule, winning the conference over and over again. How things have changed, huh?

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
No FCS coach would ever be fired, or put on the hot seat, for being 8-5, making the playoffs, winning a playoff game, and losing only to 5 playoff teams, 3 of which were seeded. Whether the qb was healthy or not.

Wrong. NDSU EXPECTS to win the national championship every year. Last year they made it there but took second, and a lot of folks are NOT happy about that. My how things have changed. I remember with the entire country expected Montana to make it to the chipper every year. They were that good. Not anymore.

I thought the topic was firing the coach, not fans being unhappy? I'm unaware that NDSU is getting ready to fire its coach. As for Montana, yes, that's what Returning to Dominance means. It's a road and process. It doesn't happen overnight. It takes years. How long did it take NDSU, SDS, Georgia So. and App St? The Cats are have never been there.

thirdandlong said:
uofmman1122 said:

So, you're saying our schedule is not easy? Outside of Idaho on the road, what other game troubles you? And, my question is........... did our teams from Dennehy, Glenn, & Hauck 1.0 worry about the toughness of our schedule? We dominated every schedule, winning the conference over and over again. How things have changed, huh?

Yes, things have changed. The conference is much stronger than it used to be. That's why 6 Big Sky teams sometimes go to the playoffs.

The coaches and team aren't worried about the schedule. These are fans on a message board.

thirdandlong said:
uofmman1122 said:

I think our schedule is easier than it was last year, but this isn't about toughness and grit and dominating. Since 2012, with the exception of like 2 or 3 times, the team that won the conference or shared the title didn't play the other top teams. That's what changed. Dennehy, Glenn and Hauck 1.0 played in a conference where you played every other team, so that never happened. They played in a conference where you could slip up and still mostly control your own destiny. That's not the case anymore.

As I pointed out in my earlier post in this thread, I think Weber and UC Davis have the best shot at winning it because they have the easiest schedules (on paper).

uofmman1122 said:
thirdandlong said:
I think our schedule is easier than it was last year, but this isn't about toughness and grit and dominating. Since 2012, with the exception of like 2 or 3 times, the team that won the conference or shared the title didn't play the other top teams. That's what changed. Dennehy, Glenn and Hauck 1.0 played in a conference where you played every other team, so that never happened. They played in a conference where you could slip up and still mostly control your own destiny. That's not the case anymore.

As I pointed out in my earlier post in this thread, I think Weber and UC Davis have the best shot at winning it because they have the easiest schedules (on paper).

I would like to read your ranking of the overall talent level of each conference team (just the top 4-5). This takes-out any scheduling bias. Here is mine:

1) Bobcats
2) Davis
3) Idaho
4) Weber- tie
5) Griz- tie

thirdandlong said:
uofmman1122 said:

I would like to read your ranking of the overall talent level of each conference team (just the top 4-5). This takes-out any scheduling bias. Here is mine:

1) Bobcats
2) Davis
3) Idaho
4) Weber- tie
5) Griz- tie
1 cats
- gap
2 Davis
3 Griz
4 Idaho
- gap
5 Weber
6 Sac

Cats play all of their hardest conference games on the road, and they were a pretty terrible road team last year.

uofmman1122 said:
thirdandlong said:

1) Bobcats
2) Davis
3) Idaho
4) Weber- tie
5) Griz- tie
1 cats
- gap
2 Davis
3 Griz
4 Idaho
- gap
5 Weber
6 Sac

Cats play all of their hardest conference games on the road, and they were a pretty terrible road team last year.

Exactly why I did not have them winning the conference. I'd like to draw you out further on this. If you think that the Cats have by far the best talent in the Sky, with a gap between them and the #2 team, what does that say about Bobby's recruiting, versus the Cats, after being here 5 years?

thirdandlong said:
uofmman1122 said:

Count me as one of those "idiots" that thinks the Griz are capable of a real special season next year. First of all the entire starting O Line is coming back. Nothing matters more than time together as a group. Besides the fact they are a year bigger and stronger. So big improvement there. WR group is athletic and deep. Have people completely forgot about Jr and Fontes? RB group is as deep and talented as I can remember. And young! Griz lost a couple close ones last year because of depth issues at QB. That has been addressed with addition of two guys that are legit starters. And an absolute stud at TE. So that being said with the addition of new play caller the Griz will be better in terms of depth and talent at every position on offense. On defense the addition Hayden Harris and Ramos coming off his redshirt gives the D Line more depth when you take in consideration the rest returning. The LB crew is loaded! Jancaro, Hill and Flink are all solid but watch out for the two redshirt frosh in Genatone and Walton along with a couple other transfers. Safety group with Jackson, Cotton, Graves and Fouch (who I think is highly underrated) will be exceptional. CB group is good but thin. I would think Griz may add some in portal here. I'm excited to see Bradford and Tim Hauck work with this group (look at these two guys resumes). I guarantee they will stop the run better this year. Punter is a big question. The Griz are as capable as anyone to win the Big Sky next year. Go Griz!

UncleRico said:
thirdandlong said:

Count me as one of those "idiots" that thinks the Griz are capable of a real special season next year. First of all the entire starting O Line is coming back. Nothing matters more than time together as a group. Besides the fact they are a year bigger and stronger. So big improvement there. WR group is athletic and deep. Have people completely forgot about Jr and Fontes? RB group is as deep and talented as I can remember. And young! Griz lost a couple close ones last year because of depth issues at QB. That has been addressed with addition of two guys that are legit starters. And an absolute stud at TE. So that being said with the addition of new play caller the Griz will be better in terms of depth and talent at every position on offense. On defense the addition Hayden Harris and Ramos coming off his redshirt gives the D Line more depth when you take in consideration the rest returning. The LB crew is loaded! Jancaro, Hill and Flink are all solid but watch out for the two redshirt frosh in Genatone and Walton along with a couple other transfers. Safety group with Jackson, Cotton, Graves and Fouch (who I think is highly underrated) will be exceptional. CB group is good but thin. I would think Griz may add some in portal here. I'm excited to see Bradford and Tim Hauck work with this group (look at these two guys resumes). I guarantee they will stop the run better this year. Punter is a big question. The Griz are as capable as anyone to win the Big Sky next year. Go Griz!

Some validity in your post. By the way, nobody in this thread has called you an "idiot".

The exception I take is your evaluation of our QB position. Neither of these two QBs have accomplished anything in a regular season football game. In my opinion, we have more questions at the starting QB position than in any year in recent memory. Vidlak may well be the second coming of Craig Ochs. But, until he tees-it-up as the starting QB for an FCS game, every prediction for him is just conjecture based upon a spring game and "potential"

thirdandlong said:
uofmman1122 said:
1 cats
- gap
2 Davis
3 Griz
4 Idaho
- gap
5 Weber
6 Sac

Exactly why I did not have them winning the conference. I'd like to draw you out further on this. If you think that the Cats have by far the best talent in the Sky, with a gap between them and the #2 team, what does that say about Bobby's recruiting, versus the Cats, after being here 5 years?
I'm just basing this on what I know right now. The cats have done a good job recruiting for their system. I actually think our coaches have recruited a much better defense (although the CB situation right now is very concerning).

If Vidlak (or McDowell or both) hit their ceiling here, we're gonna close that gap real quick. I just have to see how they play before putting them on the same tier as the cats, who I know are very good on O.

thirdandlong said:
UncleRico said:

Some validity in your post. By the way, nobody in this thread has called you an "idiot".

The exception I take is your evaluation of our QB position. Neither of these two QBs have accomplished anything in a regular season football game. In my opinion, we have more questions at the starting QB position than in any year in recent memory. Vidlak may well be the second coming of Craig Ochs. But, until he tees-it-up as the starting QB for an FCS game, every prediction for him is just conjecture based upon a spring game and "potential"

I would say predicting a season June 1 without seeing them play the first few weeks is always tough and nothing more than "potential." I'm saying the potential is there for both of these former 3 star QB's who were stuck behind really good young QB's at their last stops. I would say the potential for a few young guys like Gilman and Racanelli (if healthy) on offense and Ramos, Walton and Genatone on defense to be significant game and season changers is there. Genatone is going to be the next legendary Griz defensive player in my opinion. So yea I think they can beat anyone on the schedule next year. So I'm going out on a limb to say Cats-Griz tie for first and tie breaker to Griz after winning the head to head. I'm on record!

Of note is the continued refusal for even ONE egriz poster to go on record and answer my question as to how many additional seasons will you be willing to give Bobby to Return To Dominance, as he promised. This will be season six. If he continues to finish 3rd or worse in the conference, lose again to the Cats, and fail to go deep in the playoffs, will you support him for a seventh season? And remember that most of you are predicting a finish lower than 2nd in the Sky.

Alright I’ll bite

1. Idaho. For those of you doubting the Vandys this season, I just wanna remind you all that their QB won the Jerry Rice award last season and they also have probably the best Receiver in the FCS as well. That alone sets them up tremendously. I have some questions about their Defense but they’ll be very strong offensively, and they get the Griz, cats and Sac State in Moscow. Don’t doubt the Vandys. They could very well win both of their FBS games this year (Nevada, CAL)

So what you are saying is that Idaho is going to beat more FBS opponents this year than it did in most years in the Sun belt?

UncleRico said:
thirdandlong said:

I would say predicting a season June 1 without seeing them play the first few weeks is always tough and nothing more than "potential." I'm saying the potential is there for both of these former 3 star QB's who were stuck behind really good young QB's at their last stops. I would say the potential for a few young guys like Gilman and Racanelli (if healthy) on offense and Ramos, Walton and Genatone on defense to be significant game and season changers is there. Genatone is going to be the next legendary Griz defensive player in my opinion. So yea I think they can beat anyone on the schedule next year. So I'm going out on a limb to say Cats-Griz tie for first and tie breaker to Griz after winning the head to head. I'm on record!

Thank you for putting your Johnson on the record. Anyone else?

thirdandlong said:
Of note is the continued refusal for even ONE egriz poster to go on record and answer my question as to how many additional seasons will you be willing to give Bobby to Return To Dominance, as he promised. This will be season six. If he continues to finish 3rd or worse in the conference, lose again to the Cats, and fail to go deep in the playoffs, will you support him for a seventh season? And remember that most of you are predicting a finish lower than 2nd in the Sky.
Only you would count 2020 as a "season."

I will go on record to say I will give BH two more weeks plus 14 years to RTD. We'll see if the Administration listens to me or if they will continue to ignore the opinions expressed on a fan board where people just talk past each other.

kemajic said:
thirdandlong said:
Only you would count 2020 as a "season."

Nice deflection. Answer the question.

Back