• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Damian Lillard

Every time I watch him in the NBA it blows my mind that he couldn't win a Big Sky title, especially with some solid teams around him. It really was a treat to watch him at Weber though.

Excellent post-game where Damian does self-analysis. Not really emphasized, (but mentioned in Monday's Portland Oregonian newspaper) Damian practices his shooting immediately AFTER every NBA game, regardless of where. That personal dedication illustrates that he had prepared two nights previous... for this shot.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVJibanIHM8[/media]

AZGrizFan said:
Am I correct in recalling that Krysto offered Lilliard AND Steph Curry?
Never offered either. I don't think we recruited Lillard at all. Krysto said that he knows Dell from the NBA and that he sent him Steph's tape in HS and Krysto said no thanks. Called it his biggest recruiting miss. We probably wouldn't have got him anyway but it is fun to think about.

Here's Damian's last-shot, called by 4-5 different announcers (I think the last one is Japanese...), compiled by NBC Sports Northwest. The third one has the arena sound up, which really adds to the atmosphere. The second is the Blazers long-time radio announcer, Brian Wheeler (who has been ill of & on this season). Rare stuff.

[media]https://twitter.com/NBCSNorthwest/status/1120983775226355712[/media]

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
Never offered either. I don't think we recruited Lillard at all. Krysto said that he knows Dell from the NBA and that he sent him Steph's tape in HS and Krysto said no thanks. Called it his biggest recruiting miss. We probably wouldn't have got him anyway but it is fun to think about.

Huh. Could have sworn I read that here on egriz once...

AZGrizFan said:
WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:

And of course, 100% of what is posted on eGriz is factual

dbackjon said:
AZGrizFan said:
WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:

And of course, 100% of what is posted on eGriz is factual

:thumb: :thumb:

Taking nothing away from Damian, Michel Ray still has a better overall stats line. Michel Ray could not shoot as well, but he did everything else better. MRR was and still is the best to come out of the BSC.

Gaeilge1 said:
Taking nothing away from Damian, Michel Ray still has a better overall stats line. Michel Ray could not shoot as well, but he did everything else better. MRR was and still is the best to come out of the BSC.

There is the debate I was looking for :thumb:

dbackjon said:
Gaeilge1 said:

There is the debate I was looking for :thumb:

Nope

No comparison in their NBA careers. Lillard is the greatest NBA player to come out of Big Sky. Just a great guy also.

UncleRico said:
No comparison in their NBA careers. Lillard is the greatest NBA player to come out of Big Sky. Just a great guy also.

m7OMHT.gif

Gaeilge1 said:
No chance. You will have a hard time finding anyone who agrees with that outside of UM

UncleRico said:

I think there are plenty of comparisons. If you are talking shooting, especially 3-point shooting, it's no contest. 3-point shooting barely existed in MRR's era. They didn't practice it much.

1. They've played almost the exact number of games
2. Both are/were 4x all-stars
3. MRR led the NBA 3 times in steals, Lillard 0 (Lillard has never led the NBA in stat). MRR averaged 2.6 steals/gm, Lillard 1.0
4. MRR led the NBA in assists/gm once, Lillard 0, MRR averaged 7/gm,Lillard 6.3
5. MRR was all-NBA defense team twice, Lillard 0
6. I can't find Triple doubles stats, but MRR had 18 as a rookie, and nearly a quad-double-38 pts,11 reb,11 assists,9 steals which only 4 players have ever done. He was a force in all aspects of the game, besides long-range shooting.

Lillard is slightly better on offense (remember it was a very different style of game), but MRR dominates defensively. Lillard will likely play many more years and will be the correct answer to this question eventually, but as of right now, it's almost dead even,IMO. I don't care what a "great guy" Lillard is either. What does that have to do with anything? They are/were both equally elite point guards in their era.

WaGriz4life said:
Best player to ever play in the Big Sky. Not close. Best player to ever play in Dahlberg, not close.

0-2 on this post.

1. Lillard was only a 2x League MVP, and Krysko was 3x if we are talking just college production. Arceneaux was more dominant for Weber, IMO. Nobody could stop him in the the BSC and led Weber to their best NCAA run while, as we all know, Will Cherry shut-down Lillard when it mattered.

2. and uh, just from the top of my head Paul George played here for Fresno. He's better than Lillard or darn close at least.

Paul George is not better than Lillard. Did you watch the first round? Did you see the last shot? I love how PG tried to say that was a bad shot and DL pointed out how bad his defense was.

And anyone comparing Lillard to a crackhead is..... well, wrong. I’ll just leave it at that.

So almost exact same number of years. Lillard averages 23.5 ppg, 6.3 assists, 4.2 rpg. Michael Ray 14.8 ppg, 7.0 assists, 5.5 rpg. Michael Ray unfortunately sabotaged his own career. And let us be honest the NBA today has much superior athletes to 1970s NBA. It really isn't even close. As far as being a good guy..it is commonly known in Portland and throughout the NBA what a generous and humble guy he is. Her is an example.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/5/7/15572228/nba-damian-lillard-trail-blazers-teammate-donate-playoff-bonuses-support-staff

All NBA teams mean much more to me than All Star selections. Lillard has 3 All NBA team selections in his first six seasons. He was 3rd team in 2014, 2nd team in 2016, and 1st team in 2018. A 1st team selection says a lot, in my opinion. 1st team means a top 5 player that season, or a top 5 player in the world. Also, it's a safe assumption he will be All NBA again this season, possibly another 1st team. That will make 4 All NBA team selections in seven seasons. Richardson was never selected All NBA. To be fair, there was only two teams (10 players) selected until 1989. There has been 3 teams (15 players) since. I'm not old enough to remember Richardson. Maybe he would have been a 3rd teamer if they had had one, I don't know. Still, to me there's no question Lillard is the best NBA player to ever come out of the Big Sky. To be honest, I was really surprised someone actually questioned that.

Back