• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Congrats to Cats, but How Bad Were Those Refs?

Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:
Great win for Cats. Played hard. Never gave up. Made some key plays. Anderson is very good and a gamer.

But, the refs were just horrible. I have never seen a game with so many blatant penalties that weren't called. Most of which had a huge impact on the game and its outcome.

The hit on our receiver who was 4 steps out of bounds, without the ball, and knocked flying. Sorry, that's a late hit 100% of the time. UM had to punt, and Cats then scored a TD.

The missed pass interference on the slant in front of the UM bench. Blatant. 3d down. How could some ref not have seen that? The defender hit our receiver well before the pass arrived. UM had to punt. Cats then scored another TD.

The non-call after the Cat took off and threw down his helmet. Every ref on the field had to have seen that. That's a penalty. Griz should have had a first down. And would likely have scored.

A missed holding against the UM corner in front of Cat bench, when he hold was clearly able to be seen as the defender tried to pull away. Missed calls like this happen, but it was obvious.

The late called timeout on the play before Eastwood fumbled. I call BS on that late call. No one on the field, including the 2 side judges who signaled a TD for Eastwood, knew there had been a TO. At least, the side judge on Cat side of the field should have known or heard a while. That play was very deflating too, as the Griz team celebrated the TD and their win, only to have to undue their excitement and run another play.

This team of refs should be permanently suspended from reffing in the Big Sky.

I agree that the late hit out of bounds was beyond inexcusable. That was a terrible (non) call. That is the only blatant call I would point to. To whine about the MSU late Time-Out is just sour grapes. It doesn't matter if all the other refs didn't see the time-out call. if one ref sees it, it is his job to stop the play and call the time-out. All last-second time-outs happen the same way. One ref hears/sees the call and blows the play dead even if the play has already proceded.

Also, the MSu's players helmet came off inadvertantly while celebrating. he did not intentionally rip off his helmet. The ref made him go to the bench for a play because of his helmet coming off, but I believe was called apropriately.

Quit whining! We fumbled on the 1 fricking yard line. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

I have a friend who is a white hat for the NAIA. I wanted to believe him that the player didnt take his helmet off, but I truly cant see how his helmet came off his head during a no contact play and no other player within 2 yards of him. Watching the replay of him taking it off himself to celebrate makes it even harder to believe. Simple solution to all of this though, dont put yourself in a position where an officials call questions the outcome of game more than you as a team does.

Zirg said:
BigPapa406 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
The officiating was typical for the Sky, which is to say not good, but we should all be used to it by now. Somehow the game did not record for me so I can't go back and look - Can anyone tell me what happened on the punt return that looked to be a safety but they ruled him down at the one yard line? In real time he appeared to go backwards under his own power (which would negate forward progress) and then was tackled in the end zone. It sure looked like a safety to me so that call was a head scratcher.

It happened in front of us. But I thought it was the right call. He did run back into the endzone but as he was going down he reached out the ball past the line when he was tackled.

100% right call. Even Gurnsey agreed in the post-game. Kassis kept the ball outside the End-zone. It only matters where the ball is.

Thanks for the explanation guys. I didn't realize that the ball itself was outside the end zone but that makes sense now.

The.Real.2506 said:
I love this, from PR no less :thumb:

No kidding. Making excuses for the current coach because we just fired the last coach for having a season like this.

dupuyer griz said:
I didn’t read any of this, I just wanted to say quit making f***[*] excuses
Then you are living in denial. PR was respectful to the cats, but the fact is everything he said was true and in somne cases was validated by the commentators. The cats dont score before end of first half if the refs were doing their job especially when Nash got called for PF when the cat started it.
I don't even think Dalton fumbled. If you could show a simultaneous view from side and front, I feel there is no question his knee was down before ball came out. Like the one commentator said, it is probably not a fumble, but not enough to overturn. Regardless if not enough to overturn, it is still a bad call by ref.
I give cats a lot of credit for hanging in there for win, they showed a lot of guts and played hard when down by 22, but they also got a lot of help.

Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:
Great win for Cats. Played hard. Never gave up. Made some key plays. Anderson is very good and a gamer.

But, the refs were just horrible. I have never seen a game with so many blatant penalties that weren't called. Most of which had a huge impact on the game and its outcome.

The hit on our receiver who was 4 steps out of bounds, without the ball, and knocked flying. Sorry, that's a late hit 100% of the time. UM had to punt, and Cats then scored a TD.

The missed pass interference on the slant in front of the UM bench. Blatant. 3d down. How could some ref not have seen that? The defender hit our receiver well before the pass arrived. UM had to punt. Cats then scored another TD.

The non-call after the Cat took off and threw down his helmet. Every ref on the field had to have seen that. That's a penalty. Griz should have had a first down. And would likely have scored.

A missed holding against the UM corner in front of Cat bench, when he hold was clearly able to be seen as the defender tried to pull away. Missed calls like this happen, but it was obvious.

The late called timeout on the play before Eastwood fumbled. I call BS on that late call. No one on the field, including the 2 side judges who signaled a TD for Eastwood, knew there had been a TO. At least, the side judge on Cat side of the field should have known or heard a while. That play was very deflating too, as the Griz team celebrated the TD and their win, only to have to undue their excitement and run another play.

This team of refs should be permanently suspended from reffing in the Big Sky.

I agree that the late hit out of bounds was beyond inexcusable. That was a terrible (non) call. That is the only blatant call I would point to. To whine about the MSU late Time-Out is just sour grapes. It doesn't matter if all the other refs didn't see the time-out call. if one ref sees it, it is his job to stop the play and call the time-out. All last-second time-outs happen the same way. One ref hears/sees the call and blows the play dead even if the play has already proceded.

Also, the MSu's players helmet came off inadvertantly while celebrating. he did not intentionally rip off his helmet. The ref made him go to the bench for a play because of his helmet coming off, but I believe was called apropriately.

Quit whining! We fumbled on the 1 fricking yard line. We have no one to blame but ourselves.
I have not idea what made you think the player was celebrating. He ripped his own helmet off because he was upset that he missed an easy pick. That 15 yarder would have given us a first down inside the 20. That call was unquestionable every bit as much as the two late hits out of bounds....all 15 yarders. All not called. All as PR pointed out could have had a signficant affect on how the game played out. Excuse or not, it is flat out fact. See article 9 on player removing helmet.

PlayerRep said:
bigsky33 said:
The bad refs on the BIg Sky impact every team. Cannot blame a loss on refs. Sorry

I didn't blame the loss on the refs. It was the fumbles. It was good play by the Cats.

Let's see you comment on non-calls. Blatant out of bounds hit. Helmet taken off and thrown down. No-call on the slant.

Also what's your view on the late call on the TO?

Are you able to make substantive posts, or are you just a troll who doesn't understand the game and never played it?

I’ll take the bait. The non call on the out of bounds play was surprising, even to us Bobcat fans. But it went both ways. You failed to mention the phantom face mask call on Logan Jones on the first drive, likely taking points off the board.the late call TO is pretty typical, and if you disagree, you haven’t watched much football. How many times on last second field goals do opposing coaches call time out just before the ball is snapped? The play happens, but doesn’t count. It’s as common as egrizzers disagreeing with you.
For someone who “played the game” I’m surprised by your constant bitch sessions on here. There are two things you can’t control in football, the weather and the refs. You adjust as needed and play the fucking game.

I was wondering how Jones got called for a facemask penalty on that kick return. When I got home from the game last night, watched the replay and it was very clear Jones got his hand into the defender's face mask and pulled him to the ground by the facemask.

NativeGriz said:
dupuyer griz said:
I didn’t read any of this, I just wanted to say quit making f***[*] excuses
Then you are living in denial. PR was respectful to the cats, but the fact is everything he said was true and in somne cases was validated by the commentators. The cats dont score before end of first half if the refs were doing their job especially when Nash got called for PF when the cat started it.
I don't even think Dalton fumbled. If you could show a simultaneous view from side and front, I feel there is no question his knee was down before ball came out. Like the one commentator said, it is probably not a fumble, but not enough to overturn. Regardless if not enough to overturn, it is still a bad call by ref.
I give cats a lot of credit for hanging in there for win, they showed a lot of guts and played hard when down by 22, but they also got a lot of help.

Bad calls go both ways. Yes big sky officials are bad but no one team gets singled out.

PhxGriz said:
The.Real.2506 said:

No kidding. Making excuses for the current coach because we just fired the last coach for having a season like this.

For the sake of accuracy, last season was better because we went 7-4 with a loss to #7 Washington. This year was 6-5 with Drake.

So my question is - when do the refs get called out on all these terrible calls? I assume they get graded the following week!

BigPapa406 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
The officiating was typical for the Sky, which is to say not good, but we should all be used to it by now. Somehow the game did not record for me so I can't go back and look - Can anyone tell me what happened on the punt return that looked to be a safety but they ruled him down at the one yard line? In real time he appeared to go backwards under his own power (which would negate forward progress) and then was tackled in the end zone. It sure looked like a safety to me so that call was a head scratcher.

It happened in front of us. But I thought it was the right call. He did run back into the endzone but as he was going down he reached out the ball past the line when he was tackled.

The call was right, but the spot was bad. The ball was slightly out of the end zone when the returner went down. Before he went down, he reached the ball forward (like one might do at the end zone going in to break the plain for a TD). However, he then immediately pulled the ball back to and under his body. There is no way he was down, and I don't think his knees were down or even close to being down, when he had extended the ball forward, and there is no "plain" concept in that situation. The ball was spotted almost at the one. It's should have just been out of the end zone.

The refs on the Cats side of the field were horrible at spotting the ball. And it was going in the Cats favor at various times. Don't recall these having any impact on the situation, tho.

CDAGRIZ said:
PhxGriz said:
The.Real.2506 said:

For the sake of accuracy, last season was better because we went 7-4 with a loss to #7 Washington. This year was 6-5 with Drake.

Okay, but last year UM played 2 other total cupcake teams (Valparaiso and Savannah St), instead of UNI and WI. Big difference. The comparison is not UW to Drake. I say that UNI, WI and Drake (7-3 this year) are tougher than the 3 last year, as a whole.

Da Boyz Mom said:
They gave him forward progess.

The.Real.2506 said:
grizd said:
What's interesting to me is Choate's quote that he told the line judge that he was going to call a timeout. Yet the line judge came running in signaling a TD. Would love to know what ref stopped the play before the snap. I suspect it must've been someone in the back but haven't watched the game on TV.

Watch the line judge again, it's a signal to stop the clock, not a td signal. It's obvious that he was stopping play.

I don't understand why this is an issue. I had no problem hearing the whistles blow on my TV.

FlyCastingCat said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

See my above post. It is not forward progress to extend the ball forward and then bring the ball back before the player goes down. The ball should be spotted at where it is at the time of the tackle. This was not a forward progress situation. It was a case of where the ball was when he was tackled and went down. Agree that the ball was slightly outside of the end zone.

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PhxGriz said:
The.Real.2506 said:

Okay, but last year UM played 2 other total cupcake teams (Valparaiso and Savannah St), instead of UNI and WI. Big difference. The comparison is not UW to Drake. I say that UNI, WI and Drake (7-3 this year) are tougher than the 3 last year, as a whole.

I can get on board with that. I can get on board with almost anything that tells me we didn't go backwards when the record says we did.

PlayerRep said:
FlyCastingCat said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

See my above post. It is not forward progress to extend the ball forward and then bring the ball back before the player goes down. The ball should be spotted at where it is at the time of the tackle. This was not a forward progress situation. It was a case of where the ball was when he was tackled and went down. Agree that the ball was slightly outside of the end zone.

When a defensive player gets pushed back it is at the point of first contact. so where was the ball when he was first touched by a fizz player. If you knew anything about the game you would know that.

The officiating was shitty. But certainly no shittier than in any other bsc game. And for this sour grapes thread to come from one of the few who actually support this ridiculous conference would be laughable if it weren’t just downright sad.

#bsc

And this game wasn’t lost because of officiating. It was lost due to being out coached and because the two guys brought in by the current staff failed miserably in crunch time.

CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PhxGriz said:

I can get on board with that. I can get on board with almost anything that tells me we didn't go backwards when the record says we did.

I'm fine with saying UM went backward with the record, but UM went forward in terms of how hard the team played, improvement in tackling, more physical play, the attitude of the team, the improvement at the qb position, defensive scheme (I think), etc. The team is in a much better position to improve next year, and RTD. Some of these things I observed and discussed with others; some I was told by people involved in the program.

Learning to hold 4th quarter leads is correctable. Part of that will come with more experience and confidence. Yesterday, UM started 1 senior on offense (Curran), and had only 2 on the 2-deep (Lee). On D, UM started 3 on the defense (Buss, Shaw, Tilleman). Can't imagine that there is any other playoff or top 25 team with that few seniors.

While a win over the Cats yesterday and a shot at the playoffs would have been awesome, and was oh so close, I was quite pleased with the team/season this year, starting from what I saw the first game.

MTCowpoke said:
PlayerRep said:
bigsky33 said:
The bad refs on the BIg Sky impact every team. Cannot blame a loss on refs. Sorry

I didn't blame the loss on the refs. It was the fumbles. It was good play by the Cats.

Let's see you comment on non-calls. Blatant out of bounds hit. Helmet taken off and thrown down. No-call on the slant.

Also what's your view on the late call on the TO?

Are you able to make substantive posts, or are you just a troll who doesn't understand the game and never played it?

I’ll take the bait. The non call on the out of bounds play was surprising, even to us Bobcat fans. But it went both ways. You failed to mention the phantom face mask call on Logan Jones on the first drive, likely taking points off the board.the late call TO is pretty typical, and if you disagree, you haven’t watched much football. How many times on last second field goals do opposing coaches call time out just before the ball is snapped? The play happens, but doesn’t count. It’s as common as egrizzers disagreeing with you.
For someone who “played the game” I’m surprised by your constant bitch sessions on here. There are two things you can’t control in football, the weather and the refs. You adjust as needed and play the f***[*] game.

Not getting into the whole blame the refs thing, but if the call you're talking about is the kick return Jones did have his hand wrapped up in the facemask pretty good, the camera had a good view of that for once.

Back