• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Classic Game Thread (Includes 95 Championship). Make sure you have at least 3 hours.

PeauxRouge said:
They've also posted the 2002 game Vs PSU. Sorry, missed that earlier.

https://youtu.be/_cpMpRGJidg

I really miss seeing the Griz at (now named) Providence Park.
Great location and setting, nothing like the podunk stadium out in Hillsboro.

Some epic battles there: 99, 02, 06 come to mind.

Those Tim Walsh Viking teams were athletic headaches.

I attended the 1995 NC game in Huntington. I remember being on an elevator at our hotel the night before the game, and there were 3-4 Marshall players on that elevator. My wife and I had full Griz regalia on. I asked one of the Marshall players how they planned to stop Montana's great offense? They all laughed, and said, your QB has never faced a real defense like ours.

I think they knew who Dave Dickinson was after the game.

hunt-ducks said:
I attended the 1995 NC game in Huntington. I remember being on an elevator at our hotel the night before the game, and there were 3-4 Marshall players on that elevator. My wife and I had full Griz regalia on. I asked one of the Marshall players how they planned to stop Montana's great offense? They all laughed, and said, your QB has never faced a real defense like ours.

Interesting bit of history for that year, FWIW. On September 16, Georgia Southern traveled to Marshall and lost 37-7. Until the playoffs, that was the most points the Eagles gave up ... they held their other opponents to 15.2 ppg. Then they came to UM during the playoffs and the Griz thumped them 45-0 ... thirty points over their season average. Yeah, the Griz had seen some good defenses – including a damn good defense for Boise State (trounced 54-28) – and still put up big numbers.

Huntington, WV made the top 50 list of the worst toilets in the U.S. Just one of those pop ups on this site. I've never been there, so I really don't know.

hunt-ducks said:

DD was sacked 10 times in that game. Game winning FG drive aside, it was our defense that won that game. That's why Marshall knew they had to reinforce their offense in '96.

kemajic said:
hunt-ducks said:

DD was sacked 10 times in that game. Game winning FG drive aside, it was our defense that won that game. That's why Marshall knew they had to reinforce their offense in '96.
Yep. The final point differential was, in fact, the safety the Griz defense "scored" in the 3rd quarter. Those of us in the stands screaming ourselves voiceless, have always liked to take some credit for that. Of course, it was actually all those Griz defenders crashing in everywhere that caused Pennington to ground the ball in the EZ.

IdaGriz01 said:
kemajic said:
Yep. The final point differential was, in fact, the safety the Griz defense "scored" in the 3rd quarter. Those of us in the stands screaming ourselves voiceless, have always liked to take some credit for that. Of course, it was actually all those Griz defenders crashing in everywhere that caused Pennington to ground the ball in the EZ.

And don't forget that game-changing goal line stand. Our LB play was just unbelievable that day. We talked to a lot of Marshall fans after the game. They respected our offense but figured they could score on us at will.

3-7-77 said:
Huntington, WV made the top 50 list of the worst toilets in the U.S. Just one of those pop ups on this site. I've never been there, so I really don't know.

Sure that wasn’t a top 5 list? :lol: :lol:

hunt-ducks said:

OK, why were the Marshall players at your hotel when it was effectively a home game for them?

PeauxRouge said:
hunt-ducks said:

OK, why were the Marshall players at your hotel when it was effectively a home game for them?
Your best Gibbs impression....

PeauxRouge said:
hunt-ducks said:

As I learned from an Irishman from Butte; never let the truth ruin a good story.

PeauxRouge said:
hunt-ducks said:

Oh I know this one!! Pick me! Pick me!

Because 3-7-77 has never been to Huntington. He says so a few posts above.

PeauxRouge said:
hunt-ducks said:

Just a FYI: If this alleged event took place in Huntington, then the "witness" made his/her own travel arrangements. The 1995 fan charter flight (we were on it) landed in Charleston, WV -- a bit over 40 miles to the east -- and we all stayed in hotels there. (Lot's of great stories from that trip!)

EverettGriz said:
Oh I know this one!! Pick me! Pick me!

Because 3-7-77 has never been to Huntington. He says so a few posts above.

EG, you are a clever sleuth. Or, maybe I'm just one clever SOB, like a chess master toying with you beginners. The problem with lies is keeping track of them. I don't need to keep track of anything.

Back