• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

cat Griz Round Two

EverettGriz said:
Walkon79 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Frey didn't have both feet set on that charge call.

Not part of the rule BTW. Just have to be in legal guarding position and not initiate contact to draw the offensive foul.

Technically, you’re correct. And far be it for me to put words in Rule’s mouth. But after seeing the plays I’m guessing what he typed was shorthand for “Frey stepped in and hadn’t established legal defensive guarding position and still got the incorrect charge call”. See, you don’t need your feet set, but you also can’t step in late in front of an offensive player on the move and flop to get a call. When that happens, nearly everyone who covers basketball says “the defender wasn’t set” or “didn’t have his feet set”.

So, LEARN THE TERMINOLOGY!!! As both were bad calls.
I know the terminology AssHat cause I did this for 30 years! GFY! I was there live and both were legit calls.

Walkon79 said:
EverettGriz said:
Walkon79 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Frey didn't have both feet set on that charge call.

Not part of the rule BTW. Just have to be in legal guarding position and not initiate contact to draw the offensive foul.

Technically, you’re correct. And far be it for me to put words in Rule’s mouth. But after seeing the plays I’m guessing what he typed was shorthand for “Frey stepped in and hadn’t established legal defensive guarding position and still got the incorrect charge call”. See, you don’t need your feet set, but you also can’t step in late in front of an offensive player on the move and flop to get a call. When that happens, nearly everyone who covers basketball says “the defender wasn’t set” or “didn’t have his feet set”.

I know the terminology AssHat cause I did this for 30 years! GFY! I was there live and both were legit calls.

So - isn't the rule that the defender has to be "in place" before the offensive player starts his move, or am I thinking NBA? I feel like seeing it live on the court (without benefit of slower replay) it's probably a close call (and potentially correct).

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Walkon79 said:
EverettGriz said:
Walkon79 said:

So - isn't the rule that the defender has to be "in place" before the offensive player starts his move, or am I thinking NBA? I feel like seeing it live on the court (without benefit of slower replay) it's probably a close call (and potentially correct).
As I was taught, legal guarding position means that you have to have your torso facing the defender with two feet on the floor, initially. There is no expectation in relation to time and distance to an offensive player in possession of the ball. After you obtain legal gaurding position you can jump up, back-peddle or even duck for cover and still draw a charge so long as you didn't initiate contact.
What you are refering to above is the airbourne shooter rule. If for instance the player in control is driving the lane and is airbourne to shoot, then the defender can't get to the spot even if he or she doesn't initiate the contact. That needs to be called a block every time, and that's at all levels of basketball.
On I side note I've watched Harry play in person all four years now and I can count on one hand the times I think he actually flopped. Harry most often draws significant contact in those situations and has the bruises to prove it. Now Sam Neuman on the other hand got away with it often which pissed off opposing coaches much to my delight.

Walkon79 said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Walkon79 said:
EverettGriz said:

As I was taught, legal guarding position means that you have to have your torso facing the defender with two feet on the floor, initially. There is no expectation in relation to time and distance to an offensive player in possession of the ball. After you obtain legal gaurding position you can jump up, back-peddle or even duck for cover and still draw a charge so long as you didn't initiate contact.
What you are refering to above is the airbourne shooter rule. If for instance the player in control is driving the lane and is airbourne to shoot, then the defender can't get to the spot even if he or she doesn't initiate the contact. That needs to be called a block every time, and that's at all levels of basketball.
On I side note I've watched Harry play in person all four years now and I can count on one hand the times I think he actually flopped. Harry most often draws significant contact in those situations and has the bruises to prove it. Now Sam Neuman on the other hand got away with it often which pissed off opposing coaches much to my delight.
Thanks for the clarification. Too bad offensive charging only seems to get called if the defender is planted and doesn’t move. It is infuriating watching offensive players (in general, not necessarily Frey), just put their head down and barrel into a defender and get the call.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Walkon79 said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Walkon79 said:

Thanks for the clarification. Too bad offensive charging only seems to get called if the defender is planted and doesn’t move. It is infuriating watching offensive players (in general, not necessarily Frey), just put their head down and barrel into a defender and get the call.

Agreed

Back