• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Camp Updates

https://twitter.com/Amie_Just/status/1029920957639606273

QUOTE:
On the first day of camp, Montana head coach Bobby Hauck talked about how he knew the Grizzlies were short in the secondary, but it was time for people to step up.
Ahead of the seventh practice, Hauck had a different take on his defensive backs.
"That group has a chance to be a strength. If you'd have asked me that a week ago, that was an unknown," Hauck said Wednesday. "But those guys have done a good job. They're working against good players in practice every day, which makes them better. Early reviews would be I think we'll be able to hold up there."

QUOTE:
"Communication. Playing hard. Taking shots. Great eyes. Good technique. Gavin (Robertson) and Robby (Hauck) and Reid (Miller) and Sandry, those guys are really throwing it up in there and I love that," cornerbacks coach C.J. Cox said about what he likes from the safeties. "They're aggressive kids and great kids, too. It's great working with those guys."

QUOTE:
"He's a natural corner," Baer said of Calhoun. "I think he's going to be good. He's got a lot to learn, but it seems like he wants to do it. That's the key. Not everybody can do that. Not every receiver can move over and be a corner. I think it was the right move."

QUOTE about Calhoun:
Cox added: "He's a bright kid. Smart kid, he gets it. He's played receiver. He knows exactly how they're trying to attack the corner. Does he know exactly what he's doing just yet? No, but that's the beauty of it all. He's making plays and he doesn't know what he's doing yet. He's only been with us for a week and half. He also brings maturity to the room. He's asking the right questions in meetings. He's competing his tail off. We just need to get him running to the ball."

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/with-blend-of-old-new-personnel-montana-defensive-backs-have/article_db0c2ce6-4058-592c-bf8f-291e8da9209d.html

Paytonlives said:
https://twitter.com/Amie_Just/status/1029920957639606273

QUOTE:
On the first day of camp, Montana head coach Bobby Hauck talked about how he knew the Grizzlies were short in the secondary, but it was time for people to step up.
Ahead of the seventh practice, Hauck had a different take on his defensive backs.
"That group has a chance to be a strength. If you'd have asked me that a week ago, that was an unknown," Hauck said Wednesday. "But those guys have done a good job. They're working against good players in practice every day, which makes them better. Early reviews would be I think we'll be able to hold up there."

QUOTE:
"Communication. Playing hard. Taking shots. Great eyes. Good technique. Gavin (Robertson) and Robby (Hauck) and Reid (Miller) and Sandry, those guys are really throwing it up in there and I love that," cornerbacks coach C.J. Cox said about what he likes from the safeties. "They're aggressive kids and great kids, too. It's great working with those guys."

QUOTE:
"He's a natural corner," Baer said of Calhoun. "I think he's going to be good. He's got a lot to learn, but it seems like he wants to do it. That's the key. Not everybody can do that. Not every receiver can move over and be a corner. I think it was the right move."

QUOTE about Calhoun:
Cox added: "He's a bright kid. Smart kid, he gets it. He's played receiver. He knows exactly how they're trying to attack the corner. Does he know exactly what he's doing just yet? No, but that's the beauty of it all. He's making plays and he doesn't know what he's doing yet. He's only been with us for a week and half. He also brings maturity to the room. He's asking the right questions in meetings. He's competing his tail off. We just need to get him running to the ball."

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/with-blend-of-old-new-personnel-montana-defensive-backs-have/article_db0c2ce6-4058-592c-bf8f-291e8da9209d.html
And some of you were worried..... :coffee:

https://gogriz.com/news/2018/8/15/football-grizcamp-practice-six-battling-through-the-dog-days.aspx

So is Calhoun gonna lose his spot running the ball? I know Moses has been impressing. Eastwood is gonna get carries, Lee is gonna be a power option for us and Green has had a great camp. Calhoun has a lot of talent to not see the field.

mtgrizfankb said:
So is Calhoun gonna lose his spot running the ball? I know Moses has been impressing. Eastwood is gonna get carries, Lee is gonna be a power option for us and Green has had a great camp. Calhoun has a lot of talent to not see the field.

My guess he will be limited.

mtgrizfankb said:

I hope he can find the field. I don't think we've really seem him at best. Don't think stitt's offense helped him at all. Even with all of the depth, I wouldn't be surprised if he has an awesome year.

I also won't be surprised if he never really sees the field. Sounds like all of our 5 deep could be starting at any BSC team...

Toff said:
mtgrizfankb said:

I hope he can find the field. I don't think we've really seem him at best. Don't think stitt's offense helped him at all. Even with all of the depth, I wouldn't be surprised if he has an awesome year.

I also won't be surprised if he never really sees the field. Sounds like all of our 5 deep could be starting at any BSC team...

ya know there is a lot of teams that would love to have our issues. No doubt we have ?s in the OL and LB. really though we are very deep and talented at RB, WR, S, ST and dare I say QB. It's funny, teams like Sac or PSU or half the FCS teams of the world would be starting many players on our 2 deep or 3 deep. When Sac has one or two good groups then "they are up and coming, might challenge for a bigsky title" In all reality though, Montana has a much more talent that 75% of the FCS and sometimes we forget how lucky we are. Now NDSU and the top 10ish have a much more rounded program than us right now. I might get blasted for this but its true. How many FCS teams would start a Cam or Wheeler or Wilson even? quite a few. How many would start Green or Eastwood or Moses? quite a few. Damn it's good to be a grizzly

mtgrizfankb said:
Toff said:
mtgrizfankb said:

ya know there is a lot of teams that would love to have our issues. No doubt we have ?s in the OL and LB. really though we are very deep and talented at RB, WR, S, ST and dare I say QB. It's funny, teams like Sac or PSU or half the FCS teams of the world would be starting many players on our 2 deep or 3 deep. When Sac has one or two good groups then "they are up and coming, might challenge for a bigsky title" In all reality though, Montana has a much more talent that 75% of the FCS and sometimes we forget how lucky we are. Now NDSU and the top 10ish have a much more rounded program than us right now. I might get blasted for this but its true. How many FCS teams would start a Cam or Wheeler or Wilson even? quite a few. How many would start Green or Eastwood or Moses? quite a few. Damn it's good to be a grizzly

Yet you had exactly one player make the All Big Sky Team (Buss) and it appears he might be injured. I'm not saying the griz don't have talent, but griz fans tend to live in the past and way overstate just how talented you are. I remember when you guys used to have several players graduate every year with a legitimate shot at making the NFL.

poorgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Toff said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Yet you had exactly one player make the All Big Sky Team (Buss) and it appears he might be injured. I'm not saying the griz don't have talent, but griz fans tend to live in the past and way overstate just how talented you are. I remember when you guys used to have several players graduate every year with a legitimate shot at making the NFL.

Spoken like a fan of the preseason champs 4 years running! :lol: :lol: :lol:

poorgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Toff said:
mtgrizfankb said:

We had several last year have a chance at the NFL...year after years 2,3,4 guys go to nfl training camps and compete for nfl jobs. The difference is that there is more talent across fcs than there used to be.

poorgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Toff said:
mtgrizfankb said:

I know my comments will elicit "bad fan" and "glass half full" allegations from the Griz faithful, but I go on record as agreeing with you. Too many want to poo-poo the absence of Griz players on the 1st and 2nd pre-season All-Big Sky teams, but it is a reality and we need to own it. Plus, unless all of the other Big Sky coaches who picked us 8th in the conference are idiots, then we have a long ways to go to even be put in the same sentence as our previous Hauck teams. Too many fans allow hope to foster hyperbole and unrealistic expectations.

We mock the Cat fans for their rosy pre-season predictions. Let's not be like them. I will be ecstatic if we go 7-4 this season.

4theluvofgriz said:
I know my comments will elicit "bad fan" and "glass half full" allegations from the Griz faithful, but I go on record as agreeing with you. Too many want to poo-poo the absence of Griz players on the 1st and 2nd pre-season All-Big Sky teams, but it is a reality and we need to own it. Plus, unless all of the other Big Sky coaches who picked us 8th in the conference are idiots, then we have a long ways to go to even be put in the same sentence as our previous Hauck teams. Too many fans allow hope to foster hyperbole and unrealistic expectations.

We mock the Cat fans for their rosy pre-season predictions. Let's not be like them. I will be ecstatic if we go 7-4 this season.

Steve, aren't you a cat fan? My bad if I got that wrong...

poorgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Toff said:
mtgrizfankb said:

I don't feel All Conference or All American lists make a team. Sure does help, but I'd take a well coached team with a lot of desire over a stud filled C.F. of a team any day.

I do agree on our lack of NFL production but we're doing as well as anyone in the BSC. TRU and Brock Coyle are both projected to be starters next year, and half dozen guys in other spots. I guess what I'm trying to say is........
**************************GO GRIZ**************************

Love the numerous daily reports of Sneed impressing in fall camp!

https://gogriz.com/news/2018/8/16/football-grizcamp-day-8-honing-the-details.aspx

4theluvofgriz said:
poorgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Toff said:

Well, I would say you need to pull your head out then and come up for some air. This team will be better coached and the attitude already appears to be far better than 2017. Players will be much more intense than last year, physical and prepared. There have been some losses on the team and that is ok. The players that are left want to be on the field and competing. Will the Griz dominate this year, probably not but they will contend. I don't think too many coaches will be eager to see the Grizzlies on their schedules.

Back