• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Calhoun’s status

Again, why are we acting surprised and outraged?

This IS what the bsc is, people. They've proven to us each and every game of each and every year. If we're happy and satisfied being in the bsc, we've got to be happy and satisfied with this.

That Sac player should sit out next week's game with this video evidence! Big Sky officer better do the right thing here! So pissed!

argh! said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
uofmman1122 said:
The more I watch that, the angrier I get.

Those refs should be suspended at the very least. Clearly not doing their job.

Agreed. What really blew my mind was that they reviewed the hit on Deming and waved it off. It clearly met two of the criteria for targeting (launching and shoulder to the head) and in order for it to be a penalty it only needed to meet one of the criteria. Horrible officiating.

it looked to me like his shoulder hit under deming's arm first. the launching part i think you are right about.
Still a defenseless player. Could have hit him in the foot.

EverettGriz said:

This IS what the bsc is, people. They've proven to us each and every game of each and every year. If we're happy and satisfied being in the bsc, we've got to be happy and satisfied with this.

Go on any team's message board. Anywhere. I dare you to find one, in any conference, at any level, that doesn't believe their league has the worst refs in the land.

AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

Go on any team's message board. Anywhere. I dare you to find one, in any conference, at any level, that doesn't believe their league has the worst refs in the land.

Probably. The difference, of course, is the bsc absolutely does.

And officiating is just the tip of a massive iceberg when it comes to the shitness in this conference.

The conference coordinator of officials, or one of them, was shown the Calhoun hit on Saturday, by someone in the conference office. Not sure of what the feedback is or has been.

PlayerRep said:
The conference coordinator of officials, or one of them, was shown the Calhoun hit on Saturday, by someone in the conference office. Not sure of what the feedback is or has been.

I can't imagine that coach wouldn't have sent that in. Glad to hear this! Better be some sort of repercussions.

EverettGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

Probably. The difference, of course, is the bsc absolutely does.

And officiating is just the tip of a massive iceberg when it comes to the shitness in this conference.

They all suck. I've sat through enough Texas Tech games to know there's not a whole lot of difference...its brutal everywhere.

Yukon said:
argh! said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
uofmman1122 said:
The more I watch that, the angrier I get.

Those refs should be suspended at the very least. Clearly not doing their job.

Agreed. What really blew my mind was that they reviewed the hit on Deming and waved it off. It clearly met two of the criteria for targeting (launching and shoulder to the head) and in order for it to be a penalty it only needed to meet one of the criteria. Horrible officiating.

it looked to me like his shoulder hit under deming's arm first. the launching part i think you are right about.
Still a defenseless player. Could have hit him in the foot.

i agreed with that part in my post. he launched into a defenseless player.

HookedonGriz said:
Another angle here. It was bad and blatant

https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/1043901284917510144

Jeez, talk about leading with the helmet. When you look at it from the angle of this video the Sac State player basically has a running start and head butts / lauches his helmet right into the side of Jeremy's helmet. Basically right into the ear hole. He made no attempt to wrap him up with his arms so he knew what he was doing. It is the definition of targeting helmet to helmet when you watch the slow motion version at the end.

84GRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:
Another angle here. It was bad and blatant

https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/1043901284917510144

Jeez, talk about leading with the helmet. When you look at it from the back the Sac State player basically has a running start and head butts Jeremy right in the ear hole. He made no attempt to wrap him up with his arms so he knew what he was doing.
Not only helmet to helmet but he clearly launched himself. Both feet are well off the ground (pause the video at the 16 second mark). If this doesn't result in some kind of action then forget about the idea of player protection. It will effectively become just a sound bite and nothing more.

Grisly Fan said:
... Not only helmet to helmet but he clearly launched himself. Both feet are well off the ground (pause the video at the 16 second mark). If this doesn't result in some kind of action then forget about the idea of player protection. It will effectively become just a sound bite and nothing more.
That's the part that drove us crazy. If anyone needed a video clip to illustrate the concept of "launching," that would be it.

Yukon said:
what sucks is Hauck says it was a clean hit. I disagree.

I don’t know Bobby from Adam, but something tells me what he’s said or is going to say to the BSC out of sight of all of us is significantly different. Publically calling out the refs isn’t going to win friends or influence anyone. He’s doing the right thing.

IdaGriz01 said:
Grisly Fan said:
... Not only helmet to helmet but he clearly launched himself. Both feet are well off the ground (pause the video at the 16 second mark). If this doesn't result in some kind of action then forget about the idea of player protection. It will effectively become just a sound bite and nothing more.
That's the part that drove us crazy. If anyone needed a video clip to illustrate the concept of "launching," that would be it.

Maybe the distinction is that he launched himself "after" contact, not before...His feet are on the ground as he makes contact then in the air during and through contact....nit picking I know but there has to be a real definition somewhere.

VictorG said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Grisly Fan said:
Maybe the distinction is that he launched himself "after" contact, not before...His feet are on the ground as he makes contact then in the air during and through contact....nit picking I know but there has to be a real definition somewhere.
The camera angle in the posted clip doesn't show it, but one from the other side was played and replayed on the broadcast. That, IMO, showed pretty clearly that he was in the air before he made contact. Perhaps someone could find the other angle video and post it too.

PlayerRep said:
The defender launched himself. Incredibly blatant.

Hauck said it was a clean hit today in the presser, and that Jeremy is fine. Watching it, you can tell that Hauck is just doing what a coach often does, take it and move on. He knows it was targeting but he also knows he can’t publicly call out Big Sky officials, the same ones who will probably ref many more of our games.

I think Hauck’s right. The difference between the two hits is the “defenseless” part. I do not believe you are defenseless when toting the rock. Otherwise it would be nearly impossible to tackle without ever touching helmets.
For the Demming call, he was defenseless but it wasn’t helmet to helmet.
I think both calls were correct, I just did not realize they could pick up the flag.

Back