• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Calhoun’s status

Thanks for the update I was pretty worried about that kid. He has had a run of bad luck with concussions. Hope like hell he can get through the year without another one.

grizaremoregooder said:
Thanks for the update I was pretty worried about that kid. He has had a run of bad luck with concussions. Hope like hell he can get through the year without another one.

Amen to that. He sure looked terrific running the ball this weekend. :thumb:

Watched 55 target Calhoun on the Root rebroadcast today. That hit was brutal and avoidable. Only the Big Sky Conference would do nothing about that blown call.

Like a boxing ref these officials have a responsibility to protect the players. Haven't seen the replays but live they both looked like penalties. I think those refs shirked their responsibilities pretty shamefully.

I’ve seen the replay a couple of times and if the league had any integrity at all,after reviewing the play, they would inform sac state that the player involved is suspended for the first half of the next game. Brutal and in called for imo.... Happy Calhoun is ok.

nzone said:
I’ve seen the replay a couple of times and if the league had any integrity at all,after reviewing the play, they would inform sac state that the player involved is suspended for the first half of the next game. Brutal and in called for imo.... Happy Calhoun is ok.

Watched it multiple times...it wasnt one of those bang bang plays either....the kid saw him coming and made the decision to go for the head....it was the definition of an ear hole.

He had plenty of time and ability to his Calhoun in the shoulder..he chose head.

nzone said:
We watched our recording of the game. Great stuff!

I came away with two thoughts re the officials. First, surely the conference has the ability to impose a suspension on that player after reviewing the game records ... and they should. Second, that team of officials should also be suspended. If player safety is a priority (like they claim), then those guys need to sit out at least a week to think about it and get their priorities straight. The two "big" plays we've talked about -- the triple hanky that was picked up and Calhoun's -- were not the only things those guys missed. There were a number of late hits (yes, including some by the Griz), a blatant facemask grab, and some other questionable non-calls. (Let's not even get started on the Holding non-calls ... that's kinda about player safety, but less directly so.)

SaskGriz said:
Like a boxing ref these officials have a responsibility to protect the players. Haven't seen the replays but live they both looked like penalties. I think those refs shirked their responsibilities pretty shamefully.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ulebook-helmet-crown-head-to-head-defenselessm

Both calls were targeting. The hit on Deming was a defenseless player & defender launching @ him and striking him in the head or neck area. The miss of the Calhoun play was the angle & bang-bang nature of the play. I’m not giving the line judge a pass, he was running up the line & had a pretty unobstructed view of the whole thing. The TV guys reviewed it again in the timeout & called them out for not calling it. Someone already mentioned it but the easiest thing to do is throw the flag & get it reviewed.

I thought the review official could call targeting even IF a penalty was not called? How do they not stop the refs and tell them they're reviewing that? It was so freaking obvious...

I want Jeremy to be healthy the entire season but I would like to start with him being healthy for One game! Once he gets it going, he will love this offense and he will feast on other Big Sky opponents. Plus, he is the relief that Sneed needs for running the ball. He will save Sneed from possible bad injury.

Does anyone have video of the hit? Cats SS had a tackle reviewed for targeting in the PSU game. There was no flag on the play, they just said that they were reviewing it. They looked at the play, and he clearly tackled him in the middle of the back with his shoulder. They said there was no targeting, which was clear, but they at least looked at it...Big Sky refs are the worst...

SACCAT66 said:
Does anyone have video of the hit? Cats SS had a tackle reviewed for targeting in the PSU game. There was no flag on the play, they just said that they were reviewing it. They looked at the play, and he clearly tackled him in the middle of the back with his shoulder. They said there was no targeting, which was clear, but they at least looked at it...Big Sky refs are the worst...

https://www.facebook.com/GrizDen/videos/684118305278132/

HookedonGriz said:
Another angle here. It was bad and blatant

https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/1043901284917510144

Wow....I know it is bang-bang, But how is that not even reviewed. Should be a suspension for sure.

The more I watch that, the angrier I get.

Those refs should be suspended at the very least. Clearly not doing their job.

uofmman1122 said:

Agreed. What really blew my mind was that they reviewed the hit on Deming and waved it off. It clearly met two of the criteria for targeting (launching and shoulder to the head) and in order for it to be a penalty it only needed to meet one of the criteria. Horrible officiating.

Da Boyz Mom said:
uofmman1122 said:

Agreed. What really blew my mind was that they reviewed the hit on Deming and waved it off. It clearly met two of the criteria for targeting (launching and shoulder to the head) and in order for it to be a penalty it only needed to meet one of the criteria. Horrible officiating.

it looked to me like his shoulder hit under deming's arm first. the launching part i think you are right about.

SACCAT66 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Another angle here. It was bad and blatant

https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/1043901284917510144

Wow....I know it is bang-bang, But how is that not even reviewed. Should be a suspension for sure.

That is a blatant and horrible targeting. It isn't even a close call. It was easily visible in real time, let alone replay. What were the officials thinking?

That is total BS no targeting call. You can see it in real time. Don’t even need to replay it to see it. Reficulous that it wasn’t called.

Back