• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BSC Mens Transfer Information 2020-21

Grizfan-24 said:
UMFan12 said:
I’m just curious to see if any of the California dudes “callithowiseeit” claimed would leave actually end up leaving.

I don't know. I think there are a couple that could, considering the situation I'd understand. Less to do with Travis and more to do with Covid and being isolated from everyone for six months. Lots of chatter but I don't know enough to state one way or the other as to who is leaving.

For me if there were five scholarships available for next year, that wouldn't surprise me. Heck UAB had 5 guys put their name into the portal today. Those end of year meetings are happening and players are getting an analysis of where they'll stand with the program next year.

A couple of thoughts:

1. We haven’t even seen the domino effect yet. Meaning (for example) everyone on Montana may be comfortable with their roles going into next year. But what happens if they get a P5 forward and a P5 guard? That changes just about everyone’s equation. And this will replay its self at just about every D-1 school - even the P5 schools.

2. It is rumored that the NCAA will vote on a free one-time transfer (without having to sit out a year) for everyone at the Final Four meetings. If this happens, a lot of people on the transfer fence will likely leave knowing they don’t have to sit out a year. That forced redshirt year has been a deterrent to transferring.

This year is a mess and I wouldn't put it all on coaches if players leave. Most programs, Montana's included' had some really strict protocols to get through the season without many cancellations. Wouldn't surprise me if one or two more guys departed in the least and that Travis would have 4-5 scholarships available for use this spring.

I think the 550-600 players in the portal is decidedly abnormal and I think it has to do with the log-jam of players on rosters that will occur next year paired with the free transfer that is likely coming down the road. TDC will have to be active in that market, but I do wonder after this year how active he'll be. He's has one or two clear needs (PF/C and a SF) and already has a combo guard verballed, I could see him working the class of 2022 circut harder than the transfer one.

there are so many players out there that I'd be interested in seeing where they end up. Ira Lee (PF/C-Arizona), Taeshon Cherry (SF-Arizona State) and a couple of those Utah guys. I could Travis interested in guys like that as well as Blakney and Avdanovic from NAU as well.

Grizfan-24 said:
This year is a mess and I wouldn't put it all on coaches if players leave. Most programs, Montana's included' had some really strict protocols to get through the season without many cancellations. Wouldn't surprise me if one or two more guys departed in the least and that Travis would have 4-5 scholarships available for use this spring.

I think the 550-600 players in the portal is decidedly abnormal and I think it has to do with the log-jam of players on rosters that will occur next year paired with the free transfer that is likely coming down the road. TDC will have to be active in that market, but I do wonder after this year how active he'll be. He's has one or two clear needs (PF/C and a SF) and already has a combo guard verballed, I could see him working the class of 2022 circut harder than the transfer one.

there are so many players out there that I'd be interested in seeing where they end up. Ira Lee (PF/C-Arizona), Taeshon Cherry (SF-Arizona State) and a couple of those Utah guys. I could Travis interested in guys like that as well as Blakney and Avdanovic from NAU as well.

Agreed. Terrell Brown, a guard from Seattle announced he is leaving Arizona looking for a bigger role. He actually played well at Arizona and was All-WAC at Seattle U. a couple of years back.

Griz have offered Blakney. 3 known offers so far of PSU, UM, and Hofstra
https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1372269187658178563?s=20

On top of Blakney (who I really hope we get), the Griz have also expressed initerest in Long Beach State SG Chance Hunter. 6’6, 190 averaged 12.3 ppg and 5.8 rpg. Also has interest from Fresno State and Southern.

Griz til I die said:
Couple of big names into the portal this morning. UNC’s Sam Masten and NAU’s Luke Avdalovic both entered the portal this morning.

Griz til I die -

I saw the notice on Masten but I can't find the announcement on Avdalovic. Do you have a link? He's still listed on NAU's roster and his Twitter page didn't have any updates.

MT Jack said:
Griz til I die said:
Couple of big names into the portal this morning. UNC’s Sam Masten and NAU’s Luke Avdalovic both entered the portal this morning.

Griz til I die -

I saw the notice on Masten but I can't find the announcement on Avdalovic. Do you have a link? He's still listed on NAU's roster and his Twitter page didn't have any updates.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/luke-avdalovic

Thanks, tgreseth. Gonna be another rough year for Lumberjacks hoops unless they get some transfers in who decide to stay/provide some depth and put players on the court who can score.

Added:
Jackson Larsen (Northern Arizona),
Finn Fluete (Montana State), and
Babacar Thiombane (Idaho)

Grizfan-24 said:
FWIW,

Idaho might have the most sought after transfer of Big Sky Conference types. Blakney is going to get a ton of interest, including Montana. Idaho who had one win all year is seeing an exodus of players, and some of it related to its putridness but also is an effort by the staff to revamp and improve the roster.

Quick question: what’s a “P” vs “C”? Post vs Center? Is there a difference?

AZGrizFan said:
Grizfan-24 said:
FWIW,

Idaho might have the most sought after transfer of Big Sky Conference types. Blakney is going to get a ton of interest, including Montana. Idaho who had one win all year is seeing an exodus of players, and some of it related to its putridness but also is an effort by the staff to revamp and improve the roster.

Quick question: what’s a “P” vs “C”? Post vs Center? Is there a difference?

"Power Forward" maybe?

I intermix them and sorry for the confusion...

Traditionally you'd see the PG,SG,SF,PF or C identification, but there are programs that use Guard-Wing-Post (G-W-P) identification.

To me post guys are swing guys that can play or have played both traditional post positions, but here I haven't stuck to a consistent identification process.

https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1372364546526965761?s=21

Alonzo Sule - 6’7 200lbs forward from Texas State.

7.8ppg/3.3rpg

Honest question regarding Idaho transfers. If you are a player leaving a 1-win team, outside of Blakney, do they even get a sniff by another D1 program? Or will most of these guys wind up D2 or lower?

PeauxRouge said:
Honest question regarding Idaho transfers. If you are a player leaving a 1-win team, outside of Blakney, do they even get a sniff by another D1 program? Or will most of these guys wind up D2 or lower?
Considering that Cam Tyson was able to transfer to Houston from a terrible Idaho team a few years ago, I’d assume at the very least Thacker will get some D1 looks.

Grizfan-24 said:
I intermix them and sorry for the confusion...

Traditionally you'd see the PG,SG,SF,PF or C identification, but there are programs that use Guard-Wing-Post (G-W-P) identification.

To me post guys are swing guys that can play or have played both traditional post positions, but here I haven't stuck to a consistent identification process.

No worries. That makes sense...just trying to keep straight who we’re going for and what actual positions they play.

UMFan12 said:
PeauxRouge said:
Considering that Cam Tyson was able to transfer to Houston from a terrible Idaho team a few years ago, I’d assume at the very least Thacker will get some D1 looks.

I was just about the say the same thing about Thacker.

I think Tyson is a different story. He shot almost 40% from 3 on approximately 8 attempts a game and was only a freshman. That is an elite skill and the reason he was picked up by one of the best programs in the country.

Also worth pointing out that there are 32 D-1 conferences and the Big Sky was ranked 21st. So I think it depends on how badly they want to play D-1 basketball. I think Christmas and Robinson could have a shot, but would you rather play at D-1 at Mississippi Valley State or a nice D-2 in SoCal?

Back