• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Mens Transfer Tracker 2021-2022

Griz til I die said:
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1508555246624251916?s=20&t=cBTf7FbujgFPWld5j4gB1w
Huge loss for UNC to the portal today. He was the only starter set to return for UNC according to Brett Hein who covers Weber hoops.

Sweet, let's get him. He's a solid rebounder and interior defender.

Now UNC’s young promising bench player Treshon Smoots has entered the portal. 2 huge blows for the bears in the portal today. Tough!

mtgrizrule said:
Griz til I die said:
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1508555246624251916?s=20&t=cBTf7FbujgFPWld5j4gB1w
Huge loss for UNC to the portal today. He was the only starter set to return for UNC according to Brett Hein who covers Weber hoops.

I wasn't that impressed with him. Coach Smiley probably has someone lined up who is better. The Smoots kid. IDK, I didn't see enough of him to say. I suspect that a great many teams are waiting to see what shakes out of the portal over the next three months. I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of teams leave at least one grant open through July. There is still a lot of transferring to come and there are always high level guys available in the summer. The ones who thought they were sure bets for high major, wait for that, don't get picked up, and are scrambling to find a home. Take my word, it will happen again this year. Recruiting has totally changed.

BTW, Idaho State is quietly upgrading their roster. Look for them to be improved next year.

oldrunner said:
mtgrizrule said:
I wasn't that impressed with him. Coach Smiley probably has someone lined up who is better. The Smoots kid. IDK, I didn't see enough of him to say. I suspect that a great many teams are waiting to see what shakes out of the portal over the next three months. I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of teams leave at least one grant open through July. There is still a lot of transferring to come and there are always high level guys available in the summer. The ones who thought they were sure bets for high major, wait for that, don't get picked up, and are scrambling to find a home. Take my word, it will happen again this year. Recruiting has totally changed.

BTW, Idaho State is quietly upgrading their roster. Look for them to be improved next year.

Considering, Mack Anderson and Bannan are our only true interior players returning. We absolutely need to add 2 paint players. I doubt a true Freshman from a small Montana school will be much of a contributor. Can Solomon be a key player next season? I doubt, DCH will grow another few inches. Bannan is great inside on offense. He too doesn't have the size to be a true paint defender.

We need a lot of help inside.

Couple of names off the board. Air Force G Joseph Octave commits to Holy Cross, and Alaska Anchorage G Tobin Karlberg commits to Point Loma. Guessing we didn't show very strong of interest in either of them.

AllWeatherFan said:
Somehow I think Travis knows we need bigs. He must have read it on eGriz. :)

Ten bucks says he brings in at least one and he never sees the court.

Ten bucks says he brings in more guards than anything else.

Commentary during the “Dance” games got me to wondering about Villanova, which is now in the Final Four. They were invariably described as “totally guard oriented,” or words to that effect. So, I looked at their roster … and the physical numbers are fascinating. The average listed height for the Villanova starters is just 0.6-inch more than the Griz starters (6’ 5.8 vs 6’ 5.2). The UM starting “big” is actually an inch taller than theirs. What jumps out is the average weight: 222 pounds for ‘Nova, versus 208 for the Griz. That surely follows from the fact that UM started three sophomores and only one senior, while Villanova starts four seniors and one sophomore.

Thus, it is possible for a smaller team to rise to the highest level. You “just” need quality players and time for them to gain experience … and bulk up.

IdaGriz01 said:
Commentary during the “Dance” games got me to wondering about Villanova, which is now in the Final Four. They were invariably described as “totally guard oriented,” or words to that effect. So, I looked at their roster … and the physical numbers are fascinating. The average listed height for the Villanova starters is just 0.6-inch more than the Griz starters (6’ 5.8 vs 6’ 5.2). The UM starting “big” is actually an inch taller than theirs. What jumps out is the average weight: 222 pounds for ‘Nova, versus 208 for the Griz. That surely follows from the fact that UM started three sophomores and only one senior, while Villanova starts four seniors and one sophomore.

Thus, it is possible for a smaller team to rise to the highest level. You “just” need quality players and time for them to gain experience … and bulk up.

A big part of why TD has had success is he usually has a couple very good rebounding guards...but that hasn't been the case the last couple years. This has magnified the lacks of bigs even more so.

https://twitter.com/dariusbrownii/status/1508908656527519744?s=20&t=iAaXoLbYXpTgxJ_fc-fj5A
Cats get their first portal pickup out of Cal State Northridge. Brown averaged 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists for the matadors. 6'2 192 grad transfer guard. I wonder if this means Sprinkle is not going to San Diego.

https://twitter.com/HoopScoopMedia/status/1508881249796034562?s=20&t=n0lifHOFIhlewz0yxqsskg
Also a transfer pickup for NAU from South Dakota. Give credit where credit is due, Shane Burcar is a hell of a recruiter, he's just not a very good coach.

GrizWhiz said:
mtgrizrule said:
I'm really hoping, Travis has a big surprise for Griz Nation soon. Key word, big.

Just hoping, or something more tangible?

The wife saw two really tall guys with TD last night at the Depot (although at 5'1" it's a perspective thing)
said they looked like brothers.

fanofzoo said:
GrizWhiz said:
Just hoping, or something more tangible?

The wife saw two really tall guys with TD last night at the Depot (although at 5'1" it's a perspective thing)
Thanks for the info zoo. If they were brothers, I wonder if they are the Mitchell brothers from Rhode Island that GF 24 mentioned a few days ago. Could you help boil it down for us zoo? Not trying to be racist, just trying to see if we can narrow it down but are they african american or white? Excited to see what happens.

Griz til I die said:
fanofzoo said:
Thanks for the info zoo. If they were brothers, I wonder if they are the Mitchell brothers from Rhode Island that GF 24 mentioned a few days ago. Could you help boil it down for us zoo? Not trying to be racist, just trying to see if we can narrow it down but are they african american or white? Excited to see what happens.

Black but at 6'10'' who cares.

fanofzoo said:
Griz til I die said:

Good point! I'm just trying to narrow down the field here a little bit.

Griz til I die said:
fanofzoo said:
Good point! I'm just trying to narrow down the field here a little bit.

Generally speaking people that declare for the NBA draft wouldn’t visit a Big Sky school on the same day or look to the Big Sky as a destination. But you never know . . .

https://twitter.com/aniekan_okon_/status/1508546641888006157?s=21&t=maqjEYaCWdQ3k-7xFdqwtQ

Back