• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Mens Transfer Tracker 2021-2022

Mousegriz said:
UncleRico said:
Kinda like the leader in the disgruntled parent section during high school games.

Griz may have been the worst team in the Big Sky Conference to end the season. You guys okay with that?

Nope, I'd hoped for a better outcome. It didn't happen. I also understand that no amount of bitching and moaning about it, on a fan board, will make a bit of difference. I appreciate seeing reasonable ideas; got any to share?

So with:
Mac Anderson, Josh Bannan, Lonnell Martin, Brandon Whitney, Derrick Carter-Hollinger and Robbie Beasley returning:

This is the worst team in the conference?

Moreover they have a highly regarded wing in Jaxon Nap coming in, along with more size on the perimeter and in the post and this is the worst team in the conference? I get that people are pessimistic, but good gravy get a grip.

We need some help and maybe a bit of a recalibration, but this team is hardly the least talented team in the conference.

Mousegriz said:
grizindabox said:
And more walk-on kids from Montana sitting on the end of the bench improves this how?

Probably not much but what did Wetzel add this year? Maybe a few more fans for every home game...maybe a higher ceiling for skill improvement during their careers...maybe more donation dollars from fans that like to see Montana kids on the Montana roster.

This year's "roster" just posted one of the most miserable unenthused endings to a season in the past 40+ I've followed. How do more out of state walk ons that contribute nothing and leave after a season improve things?

Making a mountain out of an ant mound. There are multiple things to question, but a couple out-of-state walkons isn't one.

tgreseth said:
Mousegriz said:
Griz may have been the worst team in the Big Sky Conference to end the season. You guys okay with that?

Nope, I'd hoped for a better outcome. It didn't happen. I also understand that no amount of bitching and moaning about it, on a fan board, will make a bit of difference. I appreciate seeing reasonable ideas; got any to share?

Tried wading through all your posts with "reasonable ideas you've shared"....appeared bitching and moaning at others bitching and moaning is what you're best at.

Here you go!

1) Recruit "bigger" at every position.
2) Don't be afraid to give Montana kids a chance
3) Recruit at least two more bigs before next year starts
4) Take a good look inward and try to answer the question lack of about player development DURING a career
5) Don't give up on bigs so quick!
6) If you refuse to recruit bigger at every position.....work on an offense that's not dribble drive with a small guard into the middle often with no shot or pass option.
7) Run the damn ball once in a while....assuming an occasional rebound. This supposedly quick guard centric team walks the damn ball up the court! That leads to #6 situations (nowhere to go......late shot clock forced shots)
8) Don't make your 6'5" guys play power forward.
9) Don't let other teams' 6'5" guards post up your guards so much.
10) Work on less fouling.....you've "trained" several foul machines the past few years.
11) "Coach" a little less late in games. Watching this year's team call late TO's then inevitably lose the lead late or turn it over right after the TO was almost embarrassing.
12) Win a game in the conference tourney!
13) Don't let Danny Sprinkle show you up too much more over the next couple years!

Mousegriz said:
Tried wading through all your posts with "reasonable ideas you've shared"....appeared bitching and moaning at others bitching and moaning is what you're best at.

Here you go!

4) Take a good look inward and try to answer the question lack of about player development DURING a career
6) If you refuse to recruit bigger at every position.....work on an offense that's not dribble drive with a small guard into the middle often with no shot or pass option.
7) Run the damn ball once in a while....assuming an occasional rebound. This supposedly quick guard centric team walks the damn ball up the court! That leads to #6 situations (nowhere to go......late shot clock forced shots)
10) Work on less fouling.....you've "trained" several foul machines the past few years.
11) "Coach" a little less late in games. Watching this year's team call late TO's then inevitably lose the lead late or turn it over right after the TO was almost embarrassing.
13) Don't let Danny Sprinkle show you up too much more over the next couple years!

Something here isn't like the others.

Games against bigger schools like Washington, Oregon or even Mississippi State expose your weaknesses. I think some of the upheaval on the team results from the fact that DeCuire is addressing these issues. He doesn’t have as much patience as, say, Coach Ron Ash.

Also, even the Dukes and North Carolinas of the world have down seasons.

Grizfan-24 said:
So with:
Mac Anderson, Josh Bannan, Lonnell Martin, Brandon Whitney, Derrick Carter-Hollinger and Robbie Beasley returning:

Moreover they have a highly regarded wing in Jaxon Nap coming in, along with more size on the perimeter and in the post and this is the worst team in the conference? I get that people are pessimistic, but good gravy get a grip.

We need some help and maybe a bit of a recalibration, but this team is hardly the least talented team in the conference.

3-10 in their last 13. Lost to four bottom feeders during that stretch. Only real "win" was in the brawl. So yeah, I'd say they played exactly like the worst team in the conference once the calendar turned to 2022.

AZGrizFan said:
Grizfan-24 said:
So with:

3-10 in their last 13. Lost to four bottom feeders during that stretch. Only real "win" was in the brawl. So yeah, I'd say they played exactly like the worst team in the conference once the calendar turned to 2022.
Pretty amazing from the outside looking in. Only saw a couple gris games besides the Brawl; but they looked amazing against the Cats. :?

ilovethecats said:
AZGrizFan said:
Pretty amazing from the outside looking in. Only saw a couple gris games besides the Brawl; but they looked amazing against the Cats. :?

Living proof you throw out the records with Griz and 'Scats meet.

AZGrizFan said:
Grizfan-24 said:
So with:

Some on here didn't seem to see it! I've watched pretty close for 40 +years. That was the worst end to a season that I recall.

Grizfan-24 said:
So with:

I agree with your position. We will improve through attrition, growth and graduation. That being said this roster does need a serious talent infusion.

Also do we know jaxon is highly regarded? I've looked quite a bit. I don't see a lot of coverage around him, local reporting. 1 d1 offer according to VC. Which probably isn't accurate but still notable in todays climate. As of now he is the perimeter size coming in. Kerr and Braggs are 6'3" ish?

Mousegriz said:
tgreseth said:

Here you go!

Thanks, this is a good list of suggestions (for the coaching staff). I feel better. Do you?

MtTarheel said:
Grizfan-24 said:
So with:

I agree with your position. We will improve through attrition, growth and graduation. That being said this roster does need a serious talent infusion.

Also do we know jaxon is highly regarded? I've looked quite a bit. I don't see a lot of coverage around him, local reporting. 1 d1 offer according to VC. Which probably isn't accurate but still notable in todays climate. As of now he is the perimeter size coming in. Kerr and Braggs are 6'3" ish?

He was the KingCo 3A MVP for 21-22; averaged 22 points, 15 reb, and 3.9 assists per game. #9 of Top 200 Seattle area bball players. Here's a profile by Brooks Sports: https://brooksports.com/news-feed/I...e_top_15_prospects_regardless_of_class_vol._3

tgreseth said:
MtTarheel said:

He was the KingCo 3A MVP for 21-22; averaged 22 points, 15 reb, and 3.9 assists per game. #9 of Top 200 Seattle area bball players. Here's a profile by Brooks Sports: https://brooksports.com/news-feed/I...e_top_15_prospects_regardless_of_class_vol._3

I've read that and watched what I could find. He's got a skill set that we should be excited about. We also shouldn't expect him to walk in and solve that issue.

So far UM is in the lead here. However, you are going to have some stiff competition from NAU. They have 20 players on grants or signed, with just one senior. They also have three offers out to JC kids. They will have to cut between 6 and 9 players by July 1st. Looks to me like the only safe players for the Jacks are Cone and Mains.

ISU will be cutting more as well.

At Weber, we haven't heard of any transfers yet, but it is still early in the process. I expect us to bring in 2 or 3 transfers, maybe more. Depends on who we can get. We will also be hitting the HS/Prep ranks. We have at least 5 spots to fill.

UI has retained their coach. I have no idea if that means more or less transfers.

PSU always seems to have a few.

Probably not a lot of transferring going on at UNCo, MSU, or EWU. However, never say never.

Montana has been in contact with 4S Isaiah Cottrell (West Virginia- Las Vegas native) since he's entered the portal. He's a freshman with 3 years of eligibility left.

He checks a lot of boxes for Montana's off-season shopping list. I think it is a long shot, because I think he ends up at a MWC or Pac 12 school, but lets just say it is nice Montana is in fact shopping in the big and tall section of the portal store. Would be Christmas in spring time if DeCuire somehow landed him.

Here is his Verbal Commits page: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/isaiah-cottrell

Grizfan-24 said:
Montana has been in contact with 4S Isaiah Cottrell (West Virginia- Las Vegas native) since he's entered the portal. He's a freshman with 3 years of eligibility left.

He checks a lot of boxes for Montana's off-season shopping list. I think it is a long shot, because I think he ends up at a MWC or Pac 12 school, but lets just say it is nice Montana is in fact shopping in the big and tall section of the portal store. Would be Christmas in spring time if DeCuire somehow landed him.

Here is his Verbal Commits page: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/isaiah-cottrell
It’s gonna be really tough. Somebody posted in the recruiting thread all the schools that have reached out to him and they’re all major schools. But I agree it is nice to see us going after bigs.

Three Portland State players Paris Dawson, Kiimani Holt and Alexis Angeles have hit the portal. Holt held a Montana offer out of HS.

Holt only played in 2 games all season and did not play at all during conference season. Don't think he's at all on Montana's radar.

Most notably is Dawson who was sixth on the team in minutes is transferring out as well. My guess of the BSC transfers that we have seen so far, aside from Parker or Owens, he is going to attract a lot of interest. Held offers from Southern Utah, Sacramento State out of high school. Was a solid contributor as a freshman this year for PSU.

Griz til I die said:
Grizfan-24 said:

It’s gonna be really tough. Somebody posted in the recruiting thread all the schools that have reached out to him and they’re all major schools. But I agree it is nice to see us going after bigs.

Once again, TD going after polished bigs, with the inability to land them, and the demonstrated inability to develop projects. There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell he comes to Montana.

Added a couple potential regional big man targets in Lahat Thioune (Utah) and Keenan Fitzsimmons (Stanford).

Also added the departure of Phillip Peeples Jr of Idaho. Big man who should garner some regional interest.

Back