• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL Big Sky Champs a Play-In Team?

Obviously I'm excited to get to watch the Cats play at least one more game. But we are right where we should be in this years tourney. We were a middle of road BSC team who got hot and won. If the Griz or Eagles handled business they'd be a 14-15 seed most likely.

Obviously I'm happy this year because it was the Cats that advanced. But this right here is the reason I've been banging my drum that the Big Sky needs to go back to the regular season champ hosting the tourney. In a one bid league, in a low-mid conference, we need to what we can to make sure we're at least represented by the best team. Obviously upsets can still happen, but it's no secret homecourt advantage is nice to have. I'd like our regular season champs getting rewarded, and give them games in their own gyms with their own fans.

But like I said; selfishly I'm ok with how it played out this year!

Am I the only one that thinks this is a good thing? BSC teams simply aren't good enough to win as a 13+ seed. The last team to win a game was the Griz as a 12 and that was 18 years ago. At least with the play in game the conference has a shot to finally win one and get rid of this epic losing streak. BSC basketball gets no respect because they don't deserve any.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a good thing? BSC teams simply aren't good enough to win as a 13+ seed. The last team to win a game was the Griz as a 12 and that was 18 years ago. At least with the play in game the conference has a shot to finally win one and get rid of this epic losing streak. BSC basketball gets no respect because they don't deserve any.
Don't quote on my this, but I also thought that winning one game (even in the Play-In) gets the conference a bigger financial share of the March Madness pie than losing as a 13 seed (for example). Playing two games is worth more to the conference than playing one.

Yes, the cats in a play-in game is where they belong. Yes, they embarrassed the Griz and earned the right to go to said game. Yes, I hope Grambling beats them like a rented mule. Will msu hang a banner if they win? Also yes.

Obviously I'm excited to get to watch the Cats play at least one more game. But we are right where we should be in this years tourney. We were a middle of road BSC team who got hot and won. If the Griz or Eagles handled business they'd be a 14-15 seed most likely.

Obviously I'm happy this year because it was the Cats that advanced. But this right here is the reason I've been banging my drum that the Big Sky needs to go back to the regular season champ hosting the tourney. In a one bid league, in a low-mid conference, we need to what we can to make sure we're at least represented by the best team. Obviously upsets can still happen, but it's no secret homecourt advantage is nice to have. I'd like our regular season champs getting rewarded, and give them games in their own gyms with their own fans.

I agree 100% on what I consider just one of many disastrous, short-sighted policies by the Big Sky Conference (I know, I know, we need the Big Sky because... FCS). This tourney alignment is designed for the Big Sky admin only, and NOT players or fans.

It's notable that NO attendance numbers were posted in the box scores of any of the men's or women's Big Sky tourney games in Boise (if they're posted somewhere, please inform me). There are numerous better post-season strategies and locations, but most should at least start with first or second round games being hosted by the higher seed. Had that been done this year, my hunch is that post-season attendance numbers would have been 4-5 times higher than this season's mysteriously absent gate statistics.

I agree 100% on what I consider just one of many disastrous, short-sighted policies by the Big Sky Conference (I know, I know, we need the Big Sky because... FCS). This tourney alignment is designed for the Big Sky admin only, and NOT players or fans.

It's notable that NO attendance numbers were posted in the box scores of any of the men's or women's Big Sky tourney games in Boise (if they're posted somewhere, please inform me). There are numerous better post-season strategies and locations, but most should at least start with first or second round games being hosted by the higher seed. Had that been done this year, my hunch is that post-season attendance numbers would have been 4-5 times higher than this season's mysteriously absent gate statistics.
For what it's worth, the Box scores for the Lady Griz games did have attendance figures for both tourney games. Attendance for both games were 551. Doesn't appear to be too accurate though.

But this right here is the reason I've been banging my drum that the Big Sky needs to go back to the regular season champ hosting the tourney. In a one bid league, in a low-mid conference, we need to what we can to make sure we're at least represented by the best team. Obviously upsets can still happen, but it's no secret homecourt advantage is nice to have. I'd like our regular season champs getting rewarded, and give them games in their own gyms with their own fans.

On the other hand, playing and winning at a neutral court, in a tournament setting, does give some tourny experience for the winning team before they head to the NCAA. Rather than winning from the comfort of their own stadium and then being blown away when they don't have the crowd/refs on their side.

Also I think the play in game is a good thing. Win this and the conference gets some credibility and a bit of extra money. Also it can help a team get into their groove for a potential upset and not be stunned by the bright lights of the tournament.

Just when this thread started to put a good spin on the scats winning, they get smeared like scat on the bottom of a shoe.

Back