• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Issues Coming for College Football

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Since when is a job that pays you $30,000 to $50,000 grand a year exploiting you? Guess I need to start making demands to my employer too. I’m sure it’ll go over well. I’m definitely one of the most sympathetic white persons I know towards the BLM movement but this one is very hard to swallow.

When those “jobs” are making billions every year on your talents and likeness.

I don’t know what you do, but if you’re making $30,000 a year but your boss is making hundreds of millions solely on what you bring to the table, I most certainly would talk to them about getting better compensated. Doesn’t mean they will, but it sure as hell wouldn’t be crazy to think you deserve a little bit bigger piece of the pie.

Well the U of Oregon lead the PAC 12 grossing about 50 mil off football last year and I work at LG making about 50k and they grossed over 50 bil last year so I guess I need to get my fellow coworkers united.

alabamagrizzly said:
ilovethecats said:

I don’t know what you do, but if you’re making $30,000 a year but your boss is making hundreds of millions solely on what you bring to the table, I most certainly would talk to them about getting better compensated. Doesn’t mean they will, but it sure as hell wouldn’t be crazy to think you deserve a little bit bigger piece of the pie.

Well the U of Oregon lead the PAC 12 grossing about 50 mil off football last year and I work at LG making about 50k and they grossed over 50 bil last year so I guess I need to get my fellow coworkers united.

If you were responsible for the majority of your companies success than absolutely.

This is like suggesting that if you deliver Coke products you should get whatever you want because Coke makes a billion. That’s asinine.

However, what if you were high up the Coke ladder and came up with a new product that became one of their top sellers. A product that made millions and hundreds of millions every year. Would you be a jerk for wanting either more money or other benefits? Seems you’d be completely in the right for that.

But you likely already know this....

OrgonGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
Yes but nothing ever gets fixed with this mentality. If you don’t like it just leave. What does that accomplish? Do you really think the NCAA is perfect? You don’t think there are things we could change to benefit student athletes? You think it’s ok that schools and outside companies can make tons of money selling hats, jerseys, memorabilia, video games, pictures, cards, autographs etc. and the actual players aren’t allowed compensation?

Do you think it’s a bad thing that players are starting to speak up about racial injustices and otherwise? The fact that they got that Iowa strength coach fired after years of improper treatment of players? I don’t know how any of that is bad. Should those kids have just left the program if they didn’t like the treatment? Or were they ok to speak up?

Cats,
Do you think college athletes have it worse than other kids attending college? It’s there choice to play sports and they benefit from it in some fashion and in general are treated much better than your average student. As a whole.
Look factory workers at GM and Ford get paid pretty well. But just because an SUV sell for 60k and thousands sell per year that doesn’t mean the people building the cars are being exploited. If they don’t like the job they can look for a different one they feel treats them better.
To me it just seems some want everything for nothing.

Some probably do want everything for nothing. I’d assume they are the minority. You usually don’t become a college athlete, let alone a great one, with that kind of mindset. I think most just want it to be fair.

As I just pointed out in another post, I would never suggest that just because you work for a billion dollar company you should be entitled to millions of dollars and whatever else you want. But do you really believe this is what these athletes are asking for? I don’t.

What if one of those factory workers invented a new product in a vehicle that revolutionized it. The vehicle became the number one vehicle in the nation. They put that workers face on the back of the car and used his story and likeness to make hundreds of millions. But he wasn’t allowed to make a dollar more for his service, and in fact was called out for even suggesting he should get a piece of the pie. Wouldn’t that be crazy? That’s the NCAA.

I don’t necessarily think college athletes have it “worse” than other students. But they’re obviously not the same. Why are you on this message board for college football? Are you a part of a message board community for any of your arts students or your law students? Not likely. We want athletes to be “just a regular student” when it fits our narrative. But we know they’re not. We know they’re names, friends and families, where they’re from, when they get in trouble, who they’re dating, where they eat, etc. So while I wouldn’t say there situation is worse, it is most definitely different.

Again, I’m not thinking these players will get everything they’re asking for. And some most definitely are risking their playing days. People will fill their spots. But as important as fans are, imagine if every FCS and FBS player banded together and sat out. The product would be way worse, and millions of dollars would be lost. I don’t see why it’s a bad thing for these kids to have a voice and not expect things to be the same in 2020 as they were in 1980 just because that’s how it’s always been. I prefer change if it’s for a greater good and benefits everyone and not just the rich elite and billion dollar companies.

Crazy to think 18-19 yr old kids are making demands to professionals. They're caught up in the extremism of the current times. I like Roloviche's response. The kid shouldn't be allowed to work out with the program if he is not going to play.

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:

If you were responsible for the majority of your companies success than absolutely.

This is like suggesting that if you deliver Coke products you should get whatever you want because Coke makes a billion. That’s asinine.

However, what if you were high up the Coke ladder and came up with a new product that became one of their top sellers. A product that made millions and hundreds of millions every year. Would you be a jerk for wanting either more money or other benefits? Seems you’d be completely in the right for that.

Sorta yes and sorta no. Yes, I’m a grunt worker and only do my small part to help LG make those billions. On the other hand though, just like I’m easily replaceable, so are any one of those kids. It’s the brand that makes most of the money. People support Oregon cus they love Oregon football and probably are connected to the school in someway by either attending or living in close proximity. They don’t fully support Oregon or any other school just because their favorite student is the QB. Well maybe the kids parents but other then that, the rest are fans of the school.

BigSkyBears said:
Crazy to think 18-19 yr old kids are making demands to professionals. They're caught up in the extremism of the current times. I like Roloviche's response. The kid shouldn't be allowed to work out with the program if he is not going to play.

I agree, if the kid is concerned for his health, the last thing he needs is daily interaction with 100 plus individuals on the field and in the locker room. On a side note, he may find himself in a bit of hot water if he’s behind the recording that was leaked to local news. Pretty sure Washington is a two party consent state when it comes to wiretapping and recording phone calls/conversations.

kemajic said:
Good for Wazzu; play the kids that want to play and let the others pack the portal. Booster/donors are not going to be held hostage by BLM, irrespective of what left universities want to do.

Holy Crap kem - not afraid to tell it like is is. I Like! :clap:

Seems like an easy solution. You offer a scholarship that might be a full ride. Kid considers the scholarship, thinks he's worth more than the benefits offered by the scholarship and he declines it. He is then free to seek other opportunities, like the XFL, Arena league football, junior college, etc.

alabamagrizzly said:
ilovethecats said:

Sorta yes and sorta no. Yes, I’m a grunt worker and only do my small part to help LG make those billions. On the other hand though, just like I’m easily replaceable, so are any one of those kids. It’s the brand that makes most of the money. People support Oregon cus they love Oregon football and probably are connected to the school in someway by either attending or living in close proximity. They don’t fully support Oregon or any other school just because their favorite student is the QB. Well maybe the kids parents but other then that, the rest are fans of the school.

Joe Burrows, Tua, Marcus Mariota, are not replaceable (or at least not very easy to replace).
How many Tua jerseys, posters, and other memorabilia was sold. It easily cover the cost of his tuition AND More. (i would guess that Alabama made a nice profit on Tua) should Tua get a little compensation for the extra money that he created for Alabama?
It boils down to which way you believe, is it the college that make the player desirable? or is it the player that make that college more desireable?
Colleges make more money when the teams are performing great, and less money when they don't perform. So should the Colleges give more money to get the better players?
Did Joe Burrows play better cause he was at LSU or did LSU win the championship cause Burrows was there? You can argue the coaches made Burrows better, or can say the talent that Burrows has was the reason they won. Would he have won a championship at Tennessee? Would LSU have won the championship without him? How much would LSU spend to get that last piece of the puzzle?
It a classic which came first the chicken or the egg....

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Since when is a job that pays you $30,000 to $50,000 grand a year exploiting you? Guess I need to start making demands to my employer too. I’m sure it’ll go over well. I’m definitely one of the most sympathetic white persons I know towards the BLM movement but this one is very hard to swallow.

There are only about 12 athletic departments in the country that actually make a profit when all is said and done. I’m really surprised you think every athletic department profits millions of dollars. Most have to use state funds plus donations to even stay alive

Colleges should make their offer of a free education, room and board, meals, access to trainers facilities other students don’t have access too etc. to potential recruits, which in my mind is a pretty good deal. If certain players think they should be paid and go pro they should be able to. The NCAA is not stopping them from doing this, the NFL is. Looks like the XFL is going to make a another run. That seems like a good option for those players if they think that’s a better deal, and a better path to the NFL than playing major college football.

WaGriz4life said:
ilovethecats said:

There are only about 12 athletic departments in the country that actually make a profit when all is said and done. I’m really surprised you think every athletic department profits millions of dollars. Most have to use state funds plus donations to even stay alive
I don't think that. I was speaking generally. The NCAA makes boatloads every year. I'll always advocate for the kids that are largely responsible for making that money.

As your last post alludes to, if these kids had other options then I wouldn't care what the NCAA does. And you're correct, the NFL is currently largely to blame for this. If there was some sort of G-League or something besides college where these kids could still prepare for the NFL and make a little money I'm all for it.

As I stated, I'm not suggesting these players should be making millions. I'm suggesting that if the school is selling your jersey, it's not crazy to think a portion of that money could go to you?

You and 'Bama are correct that if a player doesn't like it, they can just go somewhere else. I'm saying, what if ALL players join forces and don't play. Suddenly Alabama is getting FCS talent, FCS is getting NAIA talent and NAIA is basically high school. I think people are kind of underestimating the talent of these college athletes, and grossly underestimating what the elite superstars do for a school. Winning is hard to do with average talent. And if you're not winning games, the schools are not making the same money. Does anyone think Alabama would still be as successful nationally and financially if they were winning 1-2 games every year?

I don't understand why so many people, especially all of us that are obviously college football fans, would be so against players getting what they think they're worth? Or probably not even that; mainly just feeling like they have a voice. :?

ilovethecats said:
Some probably do want everything for nothing. I’d assume they are the minority. You usually don’t become a college athlete, let alone a great one, with that kind of mindset. I think most just want it to be fair.
Getting really, really tired of "fair."

kemajic said:
ilovethecats said:

I guess it depends on the context Kem. Everyone getting a ribbon and whining about playing time and crap like that I totally agree with. There are most definitely those that will whine to whine and always complain they're not getting a fair shake.

However, there are some things that I most definitely don't think being fair is a bad thing. Is it fair for a player to put up with racist coaches? Should they just shut up and play? Or leave? More and more college athletes are coming out about crappy treatment from coaches and staff. Women are coming out about sexual harassment. I don't think it's a bad thing to want that cleaned up and everyone being treated equally.

I don't think the "demands" of the Pac12 kids were that crazy. I don't think they'll get everything. Some of them most definitely will move on, and that's ok too. I just don't see college athletes having a voice, albeit a small voice, is that terrible generally speaking.

ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:

I guess it depends on the context Kem. Everyone getting a ribbon and whining about playing time and crap like that I totally agree with. There are most definitely those that will whine to whine and always complain they're not getting a fair shake.

However, there are some things that I most definitely don't think being fair is a bad thing. Is it fair for a player to put up with racist coaches? Should they just shut up and play? Or leave? More and more college athletes are coming out about crappy treatment from coaches and staff. Women are coming out about sexual harassment. I don't think it's a bad thing to want that cleaned up and everyone being treated equally.

I don't think the "demands" of the Pac12 kids were that crazy. I don't think they'll get everything. Some of them most definitely will move on, and that's ok too. I just don't see college athletes having a voice, albeit a small voice, is that terrible generally speaking.
You don’t think the demands are that crazy? They want 52% of all football revenue lol. Which is illegal by the way.

College athletes are being “exploited” by the NFL and NBA by having barriers of entry, not the NCAA. The NCAA needs to come out and say we are not negotiating with players. Here is our offer, those who want to accept will have these scholarships. These players can try to sue the NFL if they choose but good luck with that.

grizfnz said:
BigSkyBears said:

I agree, if the kid is concerned for his health, the last thing he needs is daily interaction with 100 plus individuals on the field and in the locker room. On a side note, he may find himself in a bit of hot water if he’s behind the recording that was leaked to local news. Pretty sure Washington is a two party consent state when it comes to wiretapping and recording phone calls/conversations.

Pretty sure the kid is in Texas.

WaGriz4life said:
ilovethecats said:

You don’t think the demands are that crazy? They want 52% of all football revenue lol. Which is illegal by the way.

College athletes are being “exploited” by the NFL and NBA by having barriers of entry, not the NCAA. The NCAA needs to come out and say we are not negotiating with players. Here is our offer, those who want to accept will have these scholarships. These players can try to sue the NFL if they choose but good luck with that.

I read 50% but that's neither here nor there. It won't happen and as you said, wouldn't be legal to do so. I was speaking more to what they're asking as far as Covid goes, racial justice, and just overall treatment of student athletes. Some athletes have a great experience in college. But others do not, for some of the reasons they mentioned. I think the financial requests were not as important as the other ones.

Protecting the players as much as we protect and take care of the coaches seems like a no-brainer to me.

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:

b7ej2v5av7t41.png

ilovethecats said:
WaGriz4life said:

I read 50% but that's neither here nor there. It won't happen and as you said, wouldn't be legal to do so. I was speaking more to what they're asking as far as Covid goes, racial justice, and just overall treatment of student athletes. Some athletes have a great experience in college. But others do not, for some of the reasons they mentioned. I think the financial requests were not as important as the other ones.

Protecting the players as much as we protect and take care of the coaches seems like a no-brainer to me.
This guy is like a broken clock being right twice a day. But he is certainly right in this case to anyone who isn't a tool for the NCAA. These coaches make obscene amounts of money putting these athletes through way more than what a scholarship is worth. A div I football player would be money ahead if he were to wash dishes in a Chinese restaurant for minimum wage as opposed to what they do do become legit players college football today. A very small percentage will ever cash in. The vast majority will work their balls off as young men and will leave the sport with a lifelong injury. I am all for what the athletea are proposing. It's a long time coming.

indian-outlaw said:
ilovethecats said:

This guy is like a broken clock being right twice a day. But he is certainly right in this case to anyone who isn't a tool for the NCAA. These coaches make obscene amounts of money putting these athletes through way more than what a scholarship is worth. A div I football player would be money ahead if he were to wash dishes in a Chinese restaurant for minimum wage as opposed to what they do do become legit players college football today. A very small percentage will ever cash in. The vast majority will work their balls off as young men and will leave the sport with a lifelong injury. I am all for what the athletea are proposing. It's a long time coming.
You act like they are indentured servants with no choices. Are they forced into these scholarships?

Back