• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Game Concerns

PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
True story, a couple of years back when UM got beat by UNC in Greeley, I was at the game with my wife and remember leaving disgusted with the coaching staff. During the 4th quarter, while they were losing to the big sky cellar dweller bears, I witnessed players laughing and joking with one another on the sideline. No sense of urgency whatsoever. They just weren’t dialed into the game at all, and everyone in the Griz section could tell. Fast forward to today, and try to imagine that type of behavior in that situation with this coaching staff. Yeah, never would that ever happen. We’ve com a LONG way!

Oh, BS. Not true.

greenie's probably right. stitt's teams never quit, never gave up. last year it looked like the team gave up at least once, against i'm thinking portland state(?), which was a real surprise with a hauck team. never saw that this year, though.

kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
True story, a couple of years back when UM got beat by UNC in Greeley, I was at the game with my wife and remember leaving disgusted with the coaching staff. During the 4th quarter, while they were losing to the big sky cellar dweller bears, I witnessed players laughing and joking with one another on the sideline. No sense of urgency whatsoever. They just weren’t dialed into the game at all, and everyone in the Griz section could tell. Fast forward to today, and try to imagine that type of behavior in that situation with this coaching staff. Yeah, never would that ever happen. We’ve com a LONG way!
True; I was there; saw the same.

As was I. And I witnessed the same as well...I think they thought they could just roll the ball out there and beat UNC....which they did, in every aspect except the one that counts.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

As was I. And I witnessed the same as well...I think they thought they could just roll the ball out there and beat UNC....which they did, in every aspect except the one that counts.

can you name a game during which a stitt team appeared to quit on the playing field? i can't, but i suppose i may have missed one.

PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
uofmman1122 said:
Man, some fans act like we didn't miss the playoffs three years in a row.

This season was a huge success, especially given the challenge of the schedule.

We'll all look back in a year or two saying that this season was the turning point where the flashes started to shine through. Still a lot to work on, but it was never going to be an overnight success.

For real. How soon we forget that a stitt coached team loses to Weber by 20+ all while the players are laughing and joking on the sideline lol. We’ve come a long ways since his departure and Hauck being reunited with the UM. We are in good hands and great things are on the horizon for sure!

Oh, BS. Not true.

I can't speak for the laughing and not caring part, but I do remember Caleb Kidder (team captain, #37) getting a stupid, undisciplined personal foul against UNC with the game (and playoffs) on the line.

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

can you name a game during which a stitt team appeared to quit on the playing field? i can't, but i suppose i may have missed one.

Well, they didn’t seem too concerned that day.

And I heard a story about Gustafson’s behavior on the team plane back from an NAU blowout that would certainly raise concerns to me about how emotionally invested they were at all.

Also heard rumors about what players did during their off week (with full knowledge of the coach) despite very clear orders NOT to....which shows just how much they (in general) respected the man. Can’t imagine any players doing that to a BH coached team, certainly.

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

And I heard a story about Gustafson’s behavior on the team plane back from an NAU blowout that would certainly raise concerns to me about how emotionally invested they were at all.

Also heard rumors about what players did during their off week (with full knowledge of the coach) despite very clear orders NOT to....which shows just how much they (in general) respected the man. Can’t imagine any players doing that to a BH coached team, certainly.

you don't remember the alleged behavior of players on hauck's first team? b.s.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
Oh, BS. Not true.

Completely true, witnessed it.

Still don't believe you. What were they laughing at?

Hell if I know what they were laughing at, I just remember that they were mostly offensive players laughing and joking around the bench well behind the coaches. Call me a liar, I really don’t give a shit, I witnessed it.

A former player who was on the sideline for the Cat-Griz game that ended Stitt's time at Montana said he witnessed the same thing from players during that game. Said he was embarrassed for the program to see it

kyle_sample said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Completely true, witnessed it.

Still don't believe you. What were they laughing at?

Hell if I know what they were laughing at, I just remember that they were mostly offensive players laughing and joking around the bench well behind the coaches. Call me a liar, I really don’t give a shit, I witnessed it.

A former player who was on the sideline for the Cat-Griz game that ended Stitt's time at Montana said he witnessed the same thing from players during that game. Said he was embarrassed for the program to see it

I was there too and know of which you speak that day. However, I was on the sidelines again in Bozeman last month, and that same former player, was indeed using some of the same words to describe the 2019 Griz against the Cats, and was another former All-American under Hauck. I can promise you they weren't giving this coaching staff a pass for that performance either.

kemajic said:
MTGRZ said:
The team played flat and didn't look energized for the game. Is that all on the coaches? No. Is some of that the coaches fault? Yes
Tell that to the defense. Covering for 5 ints, they gave up 10 points, 8 1st downs and 113 yards total offense to the #3 seed. That is so flat! Get a life.

Yeah I was talking about the cat game. Griz D played great against Weber. Team was fired up and ready to play, too.

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

I'm not talking about that kind of behavior. In this instance players were specifically told NOT to leave town during the off week, and many (including Jensen) did, with the knowledge of the coach, with no punishment of any kind. They basically had zero respect for him.

MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
MTGRZ said:
The team played flat and didn't look energized for the game. Is that all on the coaches? No. Is some of that the coaches fault? Yes
Tell that to the defense. Covering for 5 ints, they gave up 10 points, 8 1st downs and 113 yards total offense to the #3 seed. That is so flat! Get a life.

Yeah I was talking about the cat game. Griz D played great against Weber. Team was fired up and ready to play, too.

I think we got caught flat footed, literally and figuratively, against the cats. And, in case you haven't noticed, they're in the semifinals. It's not like it was against some shitter team like a few of the losses from previous seasons.

Htowngriz said:
MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
MTGRZ said:

I think we got caught flat footed, literally and figuratively, against the cats. And, in case you haven't noticed, they're in the semifinals. It's not like it was against some shitter team like a few of the losses from previous seasons.

That's true. And you have to give the cats credit. They played well against the Griz and have a great defense and a really good run game. If you don't play well against good teams you get beat bad. I'm not saying the Griz would beat the cats if they were to have a re-match this year, but I don't think it would have been as ugly as earlier this year.

My view is that if you don't know what was said and weren't standing in the group, and don't know the senses of humor of the particular players, it's virtually impossible to judge the situation.

I don't think players should be running around and goofing off on the sidelines during a game or in a loss, unless perhaps if your team is up 4 TD's and it's the 4th quarter. But I don't feel it's illegal to laugh during a game or on the sidelines. It's not even illegal to laugh at a funeral. Maybe someone farted. Maybe someone on the other team had a big hole in his pants. Maybe a player describing the odd sounds an opposing player made when he got hit hard. If some on the team are laughing multiple times during a loss or goofing around and not paying enough attention, then I agree.

As for ex-players complaining about things or Cat-Griz, I sometimes hear some saying or complaining about one thing, and then others complaining about almost the opposite. Everyone has their views, something right and sometimes wrong.

If someone wants to describe how their player-son, or say even an assistant coach, says that the particular team, or a segment of the team, is not dedicated enough to the program, I would note or listen to that. But, sorry, I just don't think drawing conclusions from what someone supposedly saw (players laughing) from the stands or even from the sidelines downfield in the pass holder area, is very meaningful.

I tend to view things like this as 5th hand or 10th hand comments, with no context, or extensions of a narrative that someone already has in his head. But if a coach has seen or heard specifics, then I think a coach can judge the situation. That's different.

I put this one lower on credibility scale than some fan on the internet saying a qb stares down his receivers, or only looks at one receiver.

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

What does that have to do with their behavior during his second stint? I think it was made very clear to him that the leash was going to be very short this time around.

It just really warms my heart, especially this time of year, to be able to get to read posts of such perfect people on this board. I just don't know how I can be so fortunate....Man I'm happy...

Htowngriz said:
argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:

What does that have to do with their behavior during his second stint? I think it was made very clear to him that the leash was going to be very short this time around.

so hauck's teams the first time around don't count as 'bh coached teams'? you need to get over me.

argh! said:
Htowngriz said:
argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

so hauck's teams the first time around don't count as 'bh coached teams'? you need to get over me.

The off-field issues during that time are well documented, and even if they weren't, this discussion is about play on the field and players' attitudes towards the team's success.

PlayerRep said:
My view is that if you don't know what was said and weren't standing in the group, and don't know the senses of humor of the particular players, it's virtually impossible to judge the situation.

I don't think players should be running around and goofing off on the sidelines during a game or in a loss, unless perhaps if your team is up 4 TD's and it's the 4th quarter. But I don't feel it's illegal to laugh during a game or on the sidelines. It's not even illegal to laugh at a funeral. Maybe someone farted. Maybe someone on the other team had a big hole in his pants. Maybe a player describing the odd sounds an opposing player made when he got hit hard. If some on the team are laughing multiple times during a loss or goofing around and not paying enough attention, then I agree.

As for ex-players complaining about things or Cat-Griz, I sometimes hear some saying or complaining about one thing, and then others complaining about almost the opposite. Everyone has their views, something right and sometimes wrong.

If someone wants to describe how their player-son, or say even an assistant coach, says that the particular team, or a segment of the team, is not dedicated enough to the program, I would note or listen to that. But, sorry, I just don't think drawing conclusions from what someone supposedly saw (players laughing) from the stands or even from the sidelines downfield in the pass holder area, is very meaningful.

I tend to view things like this as 5th hand or 10th hand comments, with no context, or extensions of a narrative that someone already has in his head. But if a coach has seen or heard specifics, then I think a coach can judge the situation. That's different.

I put this one lower on credibility scale than some fan on the internet saying a qb stares down his receivers, or only looks at one receiver.

What context do you need when you’re getting beat by the conference door mat?

And this whole post is pretty rich coming from a guy who regularly posts what “ex players” say to him like it’s the gospel because they’re ex-players. Suddenly it’s 5th or 10th hand info because it wasn’t YOU it was told to?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

What context do you need when you’re getting beat by the conference door mat?

And this whole post is pretty rich coming from a guy who regularly posts what “ex players” say to him like it’s the gospel because they’re ex-players. Suddenly it’s 5th or 10th hand info because it wasn’t YOU it was told to?

Hey man...whats said in the Griz shaped Hottub up at the lake house...stays in the griz shaped hottub up at the lake house. -PR 101

MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
MTGRZ said:

Man..thats what hurts so bad about this playoff loss....if our borderline all-american QB just remotely shows up...not even plays good...he could have still played pretty poorly...we win that game

Back