• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Game Concerns

kemajic said:
MTGRZ said:
The team played flat and didn't look energized for the game. Is that all on the coaches? No. Is some of that the coaches fault? Yes
Tell that to the defense. Covering for 5 ints, they gave up 10 points, 8 1st downs and 113 yards total offense to the #3 seed. That is so flat! Get a life.

I believe that was in reference to the msu game

Missoula223 said:
mule said:
I believe there is a lot of improvement that needs to done to be a Champion contender. The problem I see in the last 5 years plus is we don't have the will to win meaningful important games. Till we can and know how to do that, I don't see to many championships in the future.
It comes down to coaching in many of the areas that we need that attitude and demeanor to win as a program.

It was a good year of football and fun to see some progress.

Was the Davis game not a “big game” when they were #4 in the nation?

What about the EWU game? Weren’t they in the national championship last year?

What about the first time we played Weber? They were #3 in the nation at the time right?

How about playoff game #1? How long had it been since the Griz had advanced to the quarters?

Seems like those are all big games, and this is a very ignorant post.

Man. Couldnt’ agree more.

BozAngelesGriz said:
kemajic said:
MTGRZ said:
The team played flat and didn't look energized for the game. Is that all on the coaches? No. Is some of that the coaches fault? Yes
Tell that to the defense. Covering for 5 ints, they gave up 10 points, 8 1st downs and 113 yards total offense to the #3 seed. That is so flat! Get a life.

I believe that was in reference to the msu game
That makes more sense; my bad.

uofmman1122 said:
Man, some fans act like we didn't miss the playoffs three years in a row.

This season was a huge success, especially given the challenge of the schedule.

We'll all look back in a year or two saying that this season was the turning point where the flashes started to shine through. Still a lot to work on, but it was never going to be an overnight success.

For real. How soon we forget that a stitt coached team loses to Weber by 20+ all while the players are laughing and joking on the sideline lol. We’ve come a long ways since his departure and Hauck being reunited with the UM. We are in good hands and great things are on the horizon for sure!

True story, a couple of years back when UM got beat by UNC in Greeley, I was at the game with my wife and remember leaving disgusted with the coaching staff. During the 4th quarter, while they were losing to the big sky cellar dweller bears, I witnessed players laughing and joking with one another on the sideline. No sense of urgency whatsoever. They just weren’t dialed into the game at all, and everyone in the Griz section could tell. Fast forward to today, and try to imagine that type of behavior in that situation with this coaching staff. Yeah, never would that ever happen. We’ve com a LONG way!

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
uofmman1122 said:
Man, some fans act like we didn't miss the playoffs three years in a row.

This season was a huge success, especially given the challenge of the schedule.

We'll all look back in a year or two saying that this season was the turning point where the flashes started to shine through. Still a lot to work on, but it was never going to be an overnight success.

For real. How soon we forget that a stitt coached team loses to Weber by 20+ all while the players are laughing and joking on the sideline lol. We’ve come a long ways since his departure and Hauck being reunited with the UM. We are in good hands and great things are on the horizon for sure!

Oh, BS. Not true.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
True story, a couple of years back when UM got beat by UNC in Greeley, I was at the game with my wife and remember leaving disgusted with the coaching staff. During the 4th quarter, while they were losing to the big sky cellar dweller bears, I witnessed players laughing and joking with one another on the sideline. No sense of urgency whatsoever. They just weren’t dialed into the game at all, and everyone in the Griz section could tell. Fast forward to today, and try to imagine that type of behavior in that situation with this coaching staff. Yeah, never would that ever happen. We’ve com a LONG way!

Oh, BS. Not true.

PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Oh, BS. Not true.

Completely true, witnessed it.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Oh, BS. Not true.

Still don't believe you. What were they laughing at?

PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Oh, BS. Not true.

Hell if I know what they were laughing at, I just remember that they were mostly offensive players laughing and joking around the bench well behind the coaches. Call me a liar, I really don’t give a shit, I witnessed it.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
True; I was there; saw the same.

kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

What were they laughing about?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
Oh, BS. Not true.

Hell if I know what they were laughing at, I just remember that they were mostly offensive players laughing and joking around the bench well behind the coaches. Call me a liar, I really don’t give a shit, I witnessed it.

Why would you post someone was laughing if you didn't have a point or didn't know what they were laughing about? People often laugh, and laugh about lots of things. What's wrong with laughing?

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

How could anyone other than those standing right beside them know what they were laughing about? It’s just a fact that it happened, 100% fact!

PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Why would you post someone was laughing if you didn't have a point or didn't know what they were laughing about? People often laugh, and laugh about lots of things. What's wrong with laughing?

Dude, it was well into the fourth quarter, and the Griz we’re losing. The offense had be shut down yet again and had returned to the bench. Some of the linemen and receivers were all hanging by the bench looking nonplussed, and having a good laugh. What could possibly be funny in a time like that, getting the ball run down your throat by the conference punching bag and being stifled on offense by an inept defense? I don’t care to argue about it, but I can see the difference in sideline behavior. Disagree with me, call me a liar, I don’t care, I was there and can tell you that as the players we’re losing that game there were more than a few that didn’t look or act like they really gave a shit ok. There were plenty of other Griz fans around me who saw the same freaking thing. Point is that the demeanor of the team is 100% different with the new staff

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

How could anyone other than those standing right beside them know what they were laughing about? It’s just a fact that it happened, 100% fact!

Okay, my bad. Players on the field laughed. I get that. I thought you were trying to make some other point.

Yes, I've seen players on the field laugh. Have seen coaches laugh. Have seen people in the stands laugh. Have seen refs laugh. Just never thought it was worth mentioning it on the internet that I saw someone at a game laugh. Again, my apologies.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:

Dude, it was well into the fourth quarter, and the Griz we’re losing. The offense had be shut down yet again and had returned to the bench. Some of the linemen and receivers were all hanging by the bench looking nonplussed, and having a good laugh. What could possibly be funny in a time like that, getting the ball run down your throat by the conference punching bag and being stifled on offense by an inept defense? I don’t care to argue about it, but I can see the difference in sideline behavior. Disagree with me, call me a liar, I don’t care, I was there and can tell you that as the players we’re losing that game there were more than a few that didn’t look or act like they really gave a shit ok. There were plenty of other Griz fans around me who saw the same freaking thing. Point is that the demeanor of the team is 100% different with the new staff

Okay, I understand. I saw some Griz players laugh on the sidelines on Friday night too.

It’s obvious that there is was a decline in the mentality from Pflugrad to Delaney. The players were about as into it as he was. Ready to retire and move onto the offseason. With Stitt, there was no mentality or identity. The NDSU game was something that any program should have been able to build on and that was purely the night point for those players and that staff.

It’s apparent this year that the fight is back. The attention to detail and the little things is back. It is quite obvious on the sidelines. All those players are involved. Cheering and supporting those on the field. Knowing they are next man up. That 3rd to 4th quarter transition and the finish them mentality is something that has been greatly missed. The ship is heading in the right direction. Pretty soon those big game concerns will be a thing of the past, and when we lose it will be due to facing a better team and not our own mistakes.

Didn’t want to start another thread and this one reflects my concern.

I have a concern about coaching in big games, in particular about the Weber game. I am glad in Bobby’s return. He is respected amongst his peers, is a great recruiter, and his attention to detail is brought out by those who played for him.
How can Rosie, Pease, and Hauck not be honest to basic good or solid football foundations in needed personnel changes and in game adjustments. First, ball security is job security, how many INTs is not too many, five wasn’t with at least two or more passes that were bad, but not intercepted. Individual players can have a bad game, at what point, for the sake of the team is a well respected senior captain QB to be spelled for a series or two or benched? I can see the danger in the MSU game in having a negative influence on Sneed’s confidence with the playoffs in view. However an elimination game is different.
Second injuries that hamper a player’s ability to perform. It was clear Sneed was gutting it out, cold damp conditions affect negatively on mobility injuries, slippery field adds to stability problems of a person with ankle or knee injury. When a player displays inability to perform at needed level due to conditions and injuries the coaches are responsible to protect them. The player will not volunteer to come out.

Lightning in a bottle comes around once in a great while, this isn’t peewee football it is a business. When you have players like JLM, Sims, Olson and the rest of the seniors including Sneed there are no more collegiate opportunities to play football. There were some that are the best of their positions in the country. They deserved for the coaches to make the right decisions. As, per it is a business, UM puts butts in the seats when they win big games. Weber wasn’t the best team Friday and coaches said post game you can’t win with five turnovers, it is not a mysterious phenomenon that occurred. Why can’t experienced coaches do the right thing and make the difficult decision for the betterment of the program?
Until Bobby can stick to his own fundamentals and make good decisions in big games this program will not be a national championship contender. Hats off to the faties at NDSU they stay true to their fundamentals.

Back