• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Baer and Sacks Retire

uofmman1122 said:
uptopgriz said:
The Cats played Weber and Davis and won both of them. We played all of the teams above us except Davis and lost to all of them.
The cats also didn't play Idaho or, most importantly, Sac State.
Let me blow your mind here for a minute. Did you know that since Bobby has been back we've played the Vandy's, SAC, and the cats every year since 2018? In that same time, did you know that the cats have only played the Vandy's twice and SAC once? All of which occurred in Bozeman. They have not played at Sac State since 2016 and have never played at Idaho since the Vandy's re-joined the conference. In fact, they never saw the Sac State 2 QB system. The last time they played each other was in 2019 when Kevin Thompson was still the QB. Tell me that's not crazy.

Griz til I die said:
uofmman1122 said:
Let me blow your mind here for a minute. Did you know that since Bobby has been back we've played the Vandy's, SAC, and the cats every year since 2018? In that same time, did you know that the cats have only played the Vandy's twice and SAC once? All of which occurred in Bozeman. They have not played at Sac State since 2016 and have never played at Idaho since the Vandy's re-joined the conference. In fact, they never saw the Sac State 2 QB system. The last time they played each other was in 2019 when Kevin Thompson was still the QB. Tell me that's not crazy.
I think there are a few teams recently that got the shaft over others, but who those teams are doesn’t really matter to me. We’ve seen every conference champion since 2015 with the exception of the two in 2019 where they dodged playing one or two of the other top teams. Sac State won the conference in 2021 because they didn’t play MSU or EWU. We had co-champions this year because they didn’t play each other.

If you’re a good team in the Big Sky, you’re likely going to be in the top of the conference, but if you want to win it, based on recent results, you have to get a favorable schedule.

That’s an incredibly shitty system that undermines the value of winning the conference title, IMO.

MTOutsider said:
Beer and Snacks retire, Holy crap, guess I will have to drink gin.
Beers retired (actually went back to NFL souting) when Pflu was fired. Best OL coach we ever had. A really good LB, figure.

Griz til I die said:
uofmman1122 said:

In fairness...Idaho was terrible most of that time...

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Still though, they’ve been in the conference 5 years now and they’ve never been to Moscow

Griz til I die said:
uofmman1122 said:

Additionally, the last time the Cats played in Moscow they lost. The last time they played Idaho, 2021, they needed a score in the final minutes to pull ahead, in Bozeman. The last time the Cats played Sac St. they got beat by double digits, in Bozeman no less.

Griz til I die said:
uofmman1122 said:

It’s not crazy. It’s the Big Sky.

Griz til I die said:
SoldierGriz said:
Still though, they’ve been in the conference 5 years now and they’ve never been to Moscow

Sac State played every team in the top 6 in the conference except the Cats and beat them. We played everyone except Davis and lost to all of them. At some point, you need to stop making excuses for failing.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Griz were 6th in conference. That is an undeniable fact. The losses that led to that standing cost them multiple home playoff games. So yes, while they backed into the playoffs, their regular season performance cost them a deep run into the playoffs by having to go on the road. Anyone who doesn't see that is a dumbass or a troll.
If you switched us playing MSU and Weber for NAU and UNC, do you think we would've still gone 4-4 in conference? Give us MSU or Idaho's conference schedule, and we finish at least one game better, if not two, depending on how we do against UC Davis.

This is why I don't give a poop about where we finish in the conference standings, unless we win it, which nowadays is much more a function of who you play than necessarily being the best team. 2019 was the only year since 2015 where the conference winners played each other or the 2nd place team(s).

You guys focus on that 6th place finish way too much.

Edit: Wanna mention, certainly not downplaying losing those 4 games. It sucks and wasn't good enough. I just don't give a poop how it compares to Idaho going 6-2 in conference when they didn't play Weber or MSU.

true dat

uptopgriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Sac State played every team in the top 6 in the conference except the Cats and beat them. We played everyone except Davis and lost to all of them. At some point, you need to stop making excuses for failing.
SacSt has been the cream of the BSC for three years running, 23-1 conf. record and 3 conf championships. That could change with Taylor's departure and with key player losses. I don't understand how the point that MSU is getting by without their share of SacSt and Idaho games is making excuses for UM failing. Unique uptop interpretation to say the least.

kemajic said:
uptopgriz said:
SacSt has been the cream of the BSC for three years running, 23-1 conf. record and 3 conf championships. That could change with Taylor's departure and with key player losses. I don't understand how the point that MSU is getting by without their share of SacSt and Idaho games is making excuses for UM failing. Unique uptop interpretation to say the least.

Are you making the claim that Idaho has been competitive outside of last year?

uptopgriz said:
Griz til I die said:

You need to stop holding up SS as some great team and stop making excuses for them. SS has recently won the conference multiple times, but won only one playoff game. Was seeded twice, lost out immediately and won one game. That is pathetic and an embarrassment to the school and the conference.

With one correct call by the refs late in the game, or a healthy Johnson, UM would have beaten SS this year.

You said conference championships were the biggest predictor of getting into the national championship game. SS has won the conference in recent times, and not gotten close to the national championship. UM has won playoff games in each of the last 3 seasons.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:

You need to stop holding up SS as some great team and stop making excuses for them. SS has recently won the conference multiple times, but won only one playoff game. Was seeded twice, lost out immediately and won one game. That is pathetic and an embarrassment to the school and the conference.

With one correct call by the refs late in the game, or a healthy Johnson, UM would have beaten SS this year.

You said conference championships were the biggest predictor of getting into the national championship game. SS has won the conference in recent times, and not gotten close to the national championship. UM has won playoff games in each of the last 3 seasons.

I believe he said it was a predictor for THE GRIZ.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

I don't care what he said. The egriz way is to just make up what someone might have said, and attack it. It's happens to me everyday.

uptopgriz said:
kemajic said:

Are you making the claim that Idaho has been competitive outside of last year?

Against your bobcats, yes, the Vandals have been more than competitive in recent meetings. Look at the results.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

I don't care what he said. The egriz way is to just make up what someone might have said, and attack it. It's happens to me everyday.

Typical Hoops. He's liar. Griz have never played for a national title without winning the conference. Has UM ever won more then I playoff game when they haven't won the big sky conference? Has Bobby only won one road playoff game in his career?

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Typical Hoops. He's liar. Griz have never played for a national title without winning the conference. Has UM ever won more then I playoff game when they haven't won the big sky conference? Has Bobby only won one road playoff game in his career?

JMU, ranked no. 1, was certainly a win on the road. I was there.

Sac St has only won the conference once and even won one playoff game, even tho they have won the conference and been seeded several times recently.

How many teams have won their conferences without winning the national championship game? I'll make it easy. Last 15 years. So that mean that scores of teams have won their conferences and not won the national championship game.

How many times have the Griz won the conference and not the national championship game? Answer: lots of times.

Playing a D-II team in the season is probably a better predictor of a national championship than winning the conference, using your dumb predictors.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:

JMU, ranked no. 1, was certainly a win on the road. I was there.

Sac St has only won the conference once and even won one playoff game, even tho they have won the conference and been seeded several times recently.

How many teams have won their conferences without winning the national championship game? I'll make it easy. Last 15 years. So that mean that scores of teams have won their conferences and not won the national championship game.

How many times have the Griz won the conference and not the national championship game? Answer: lots of times.

Playing a D-II team in the season is probably a better predictor of a national championship than winning the conference, using your dumb predictors.

Are staying that the Griz teams that won the conference underachieved line you claim about Sac State. Again, how many time have Griz played for the national title without winning the conference? How many road playoff wins does Bobby have in his career? How many regular season. road wins does Bobby have against teams with a winning record.

Back