• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Baer and Sacks Retire

kemajic said:
griz71 said:
Xactly! Not where we need the biggest changes. Couple quality guys who will be missed. Good for them though
Hard to forget the age-est venom from AZ when these two guys were appointed. For a five year period, the best UM defense I can recall.
I never had issue with Sacks. And it had ZERO to do with Baer’s age and way more to do with his career arc. But you do you, Mr. Wokey wokemeister.

Best defense ever? Sure against average teams. Not so “best” against above average or great teams.

uofmman1122 said:
uptopgriz said:
6th place. The results speak for themself.
Why are you like this?

Because he gets replies. Just like my 9 year old acts out until we stop paying attention to her. He’s just a douche that thinks he’s important.

I’ve known Sacks for about 10 or 11 years. Seriously an awesome dude. Funny as shit too.

Congratulations to both Coach Baer and Coach Sacks on their long and extraordinarily successful careers! And, for the years of service they have given to UM.

Here is wishing them both as fulfilling and successful a retirement as they had while working. A long life to both of you!

uofmman1122 said:
uptopgriz said:
Why are you like this?

Because he’s a Bobcat troll pretending to be a Griz fan. High probability it’s WestCoast IMO, but not 100% sure.
He was emulating Growler for awhile.

Congrats to both coaches for fantastic careers.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
Hard to forget the age-est venom from AZ when these two guys were appointed. For a five year period, the best UM defense I can recall.
I never had issue with Sacks. And it had ZERO to do with Baer’s age and way more to do with his career arc. But you do you, Mr. Wokey wokemeister.

Best defense ever? Sure against average teams. Not so “best” against above average or great teams.
Your words. Mine were, BEST I CAN RECALL. Hmmm. So MSU wasn't above average or great when they made it to the NC game in '01, but could only muster 204 yards total offense, 82 of which came in a meaningless drive and their only TD with 48 seconds left in the game. Totally shut out. You are so stubborn in supporting your narrative that you sometimes dig a very deep hole.

uptopgriz said:
kemajic said:
Thanks for that insight; totally consistent with what we saw here. And just a fun guy, full of energy.

Playoffs and playoff win (in very exciting game). Ranked 14th in nation. All despite not having the very good qb healthy for multiple games. Otherwise a semi-final team. Speaks for itself.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Your words. Mine were, BEST I CAN RECALL. Hmmm. So MSU wasn't above average or great when they made it to the NC game in '01, but could only muster 204 yards total offense, 82 of which came in a meaningless drive and their only TD with 48 seconds left in the game. Totally shut out. You are so stubborn in supporting your narrative that you sometimes dig a very deep hole.

I agree that the D has been the best. Strong every year. And the D against SS and Weber this year, when UM had little offense? It is very difficult physically and mentally to keep coming back onto the field after 3 and outs. Those who have played the game or been very close to it, would know this first hand.

The talk of the narrative posters get old in a hurry and they use some of the dumbest things to support the narrative.

Sabin could come to UM and AZ would complain about his "arc". His definition of a bad arc is to coach at good programs and then come to UM.

Woke? Where is that coming from?

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:

Playoffs and playoff win (in very exciting game). Ranked 14th in nation. All despite not having the very good qb healthy for multiple games. Otherwise a semi-final team. Speaks for itself.

I get the logic that where you finish in the conference sort of doesn't really matter if you still make the playoffs, but the winner of the BSC is often seeded, and given a much easier path tot he title game as apposed to getting an at large bid and having to player someone like NDSU in the second round. Winning the conference is also good for recruiting, coaching incentives, and just general bragging rights over the neighbors. While getting to and winning in the playoffs is the ultimate goal, so should be winning the conference. Telling yourself we shouldn't care about winning our own conference is a losers mentality, when winning every game, and achievable milestone should be the goal, because the summation of it all is a championship. Can you win a National Championship without winning your conference? Yes. Should that be the path you strive for? Definitely not.

GrizRealist said:
mthoopsfan said:

I get the logic that where you finish in the conference sort of doesn't really matter if you still make the playoffs, but the winner of the BSC is often seeded, and given a much easier path tot he title game as apposed to getting an at large bid and having to player someone like NDSU in the second round. Winning the conference is also good for recruiting, coaching incentives, and just general bragging rights over the neighbors. While getting to and winning in the playoffs is the ultimate goal, so should be winning the conference. Telling yourself we shouldn't care about winning our own conference is a losers mentality, when winning every game, and achievable milestone should be the goal, because the summation of it all is a championship. Can you win a National Championship without winning your conference? Yes. Should that be the path you strive for? Definitely not.

Vince Lombardi said it best.
0ef988ce2a3778874a398ba895318633.jpg

Or if you like Big Herm.
eutawiisp9jkji5czmnm

GrizRealist said:
mthoopsfan said:

As I have said all along, if Johnson is healthy for SS and Weber, UM wins those games and gets seeded. And the things you mentioned help propel them to at least the semis, in my view. I don't think recruits care much about winning the conference. (I'd like to see the expression on the coaches' faces if a recruit asked where UM finished in the conference. I wonder if the coaches even know.) Fan bragging rights have little or nothing to do with the team. I'm all for winning the conference and having it as a goal, but if the team goes into the playoffs, I couldn't care less about conference ranking. Do you think teams that win the Super Bowl, or go deep in the playoffs, look back at their post-season rank and record? I don't.

Every good team strives to win every game. If they lose a game, they try to win the next one. If they lose a bunch and still get into the playoffs, they try to win the playoff games. No team looks back and says, "Oh my god, we didn't win the conference. We're doomed and should just give up. What will they say about us on egriz?"

And I think that anyone who keeps bringing up that the Griz were 6th in the conference is a total dumbass and/or troll.

GrizRealist said:
mthoopsfan said:

He’s only saying that because griz didn’t win the conference. If they would have, damn sure he’d be bragging about it and talking about how important it is.

alabamagrizzly said:
GrizRealist said:

Or if you like Big Herm.
eutawiisp9jkji5czmnm

I’ve never understood the first one. If it’s the only thing, it is, by default, everything. If I make fun of the only Bobcat fan in my neighborhood, I make fun of every Bobcat fan in my neighborhood.

(Just want to say: I typed ‘Nobcat’ by accident, and I wanted to leave it. I think Nobcat is now a thing for me)

CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Or if you like Big Herm.
eutawiisp9jkji5czmnm

I’ve never understood the first one. If it’s the only thing, it is, by default, everything. If I make fun of the only Bobcat fan in my neighborhood, I make fun of every Bobcat fan in my neighborhood.

(Just want to say: I typed ‘Nobcat’ by accident, and I wanted to leave it. I think Nobcat is now a thing for me)

Bob-on-the-knob-cat has always been one of my favs. Maybe the quote was mis typed from what Vince said. Maybe he said every thing as in plural or in many things winning is what’s important except that it’s the one singular thing to strive for. I don’t know, grasping at straws here I guess.

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Bob-on-the-knob-cat has always been one of my favs. Maybe the quote was mis typed from what Vince said. Maybe he said every thing as in plural or in many things winning is what’s important except that it’s the one singular thing to strive for. I don’t know, grasping at straws here I guess.

Nah, it's a famous quote. I just wanted an excuse to type Nobcat. Should it be with a "K", though? "Knobcat"?

poorgriz said:
GrizRealist said:

He’s only saying that because griz didn’t win the conference. If they would have, damn sure he’d be bragging about it and talking about how important it is.

I have never bragged about UM winning the conference in the over 30 years I've been a Griz fan. I have probably mentioned, in the past, that Bobby won or shared the conference every year in his prior stint. The conference was different then. At the end of any season, I have never said, "Wow, the Griz won the conference." I have always focused on the playoffs. Could you be a bigger liar?

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

well I was referring more to how they performed THIS year in big games...understanding that it's not always on the defense when the offense can't move the ball.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizRealist said:

As I have said all along, if Johnson is healthy for SS and Weber, UM wins those games and gets seeded. And the things you mentioned help propel them to at least the semis, in my view. I don't think recruits care much about winning the conference. (I'd like to see the expression on the coaches' faces if a recruit asked where UM finished in the conference. I wonder if the coaches even know.) Fan bragging rights have little or nothing to do with the team. I'm all for winning the conference and having it as a goal, but if the team goes into the playoffs, I couldn't care less about conference ranking. Do you think teams that win the Super Bowl, or go deep in the playoffs, look back at their post-season rank and record? I don't.

Every good team strives to win every game. If they lose a game, they try to win the next one. If they lose a bunch and still get into the playoffs, they try to win the playoff games. No team looks back and says, "Oh my god, we didn't win the conference. We're doomed and should just give up. What will they say about us on egriz?"

And I think that anyone who keeps bringing up that the Griz were 6th in the conference is a total dumbass and/or troll.

Griz were 6th in conference. That is an undeniable fact. The losses that led to that standing cost them multiple home playoff games. So yes, while they backed into the playoffs, their regular season performance cost them a deep run into the playoffs by having to go on the road. Anyone who doesn't see that is a dumbass or a troll.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizRealist said:

All I am saying is that winning the the BSC should be one of the top goals for UM football on an annual basis whether its truly matters or not. Its arguably the strongest conference in the FCS, and to conquer is no small deal. It shows you are the best of the best, and likely gives you one of the easiest paths through the playoffs. I realize in hindsight, especially in a year like this one, it doesnt seem like a big deal, but the winning mentality is to achieve all of the things that are out there to achieve. Be the best team in the conference by winning it. Beat the cats. Win in the playoffs. Win the national championship. Those are all achievable goals that are in reach, and completing all of them should be the goal. Again, I realize there are multiple paths the ultimate goal of a championship, but completing them all should be the mindset.

I also think you're downplaying it in regards to recruiting. Kids want to play for winning teams in a winning environment. Being middle of the pack (.500) in our own conference is not the greatest look when a prep player has the opportunity to also go to a place like MSU who is basically selling the same stuff UM is but they win more.

I also don't love playing the shoulda coulda woulda game in terms of injuries. Every team has key players get injuries, but the best teams have developed depth that can come in and win games when that stuff happens. Saying "oh well we would have done this and that if LJ wouldn't have got hurt" is just an excuse in my book.

Back