• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Another Griz opts for Carroll

Agree with much of Ponezone's latest and I'm glad for the clarification.....but I'll be dammned if I know what the political scholarship is all about?

It just seems like the Bd can't avoid criticism of Griz who leave even in this case where a real good kid (by all accounts) leaves in just the right way. Suppose it's human nature but I note we don't seem to need to affix the same negativity to players leaving other progrms and coming to us....i.e. Perry from USC, the Notre Dame kid and Carrigar from USU.

Helena paper says they passed on Hartman because they signed a good Utah player.

Of course I have heard of Judge Molloy. Are you and Ponezone saying that the Griz scholarshipped the kid because his uncle is a judge?

If that is the reassoning, it strikes me as assinine. What does the Staff get back for having a Judge's relative on the team? If this is how it works why didn't UM scholarship the Judge's son who was a very good player at Helllgate a couple of years ago? Wouldn't that be even better "politics"?

If I've got your theory right, it's assinine, and it's stupid and it's pointlessly hurtful of young Molloy.

I wouldnt want to be in your loop.

You don't think the fact that John Edwards' dad was a bigshot lawyer/donor kept him from getting benched in 2002? Not that I have anything against the Molloy clan, but I do think politics gets mixed up in athletics at the U.

Yep... not just Uncle as judge.... father Jim attorney in Helena and former Griz player and mother Casey former Sugar Bear. Both are very vocal parents too. :roll:

Not sure what facts I should chek or where one would find such facts.

More assinine,stupid nut case conspiracy theorists on the Bd than I thought.

Lemme see. Is anybody in the kid's family a Judge? Was anybody a Sugar Bear? Are the kid's parrents "vocal"? Key considerations for Griz recruiters.

Edwars had his problems but he was also one of the NCAA's alltime winningest starting qb and his daddy's turf didn't buy that. Bet too that he's a better player posters above.

What's the deal, guys? Seamus was a great athlete coming out of high school, a blue chipper by Montana standards. He didn't have bad size. He had good speed. He was a proven winner. If you followed Montana AA football the year Seamus' team won the state championship, you'd wouldn't suggest he needed a respected last name to receive a scholarship. He kicked ass on offense and defense.

The kid goes to UM where he's mixed in with a boat load of kids with similar athletic backgrounds and suddenly he's not at the forefront. Seamus is still weighing in at sub 210, which is light when the kids behind him, Ryan and Utterback in particular, are bulking up.

How insulting to suggest he received a scholarship because of who his family is. Here's hoping your accomplishments in life are attributed to who your folks are, assuming bad breeding hasn't already been your crutch.

Hey Griz4Life:

Thanks for saying with more clarity what I have been trying to say.

Griz fb is a great diversion and this bd is usually fun. It just always hacks me off when gratuitous swipes at our players show up and esp on this one where nutty and baseless speculation accomplishes nothing other than to hurt the kid who by every account is a fine young man.

Great job!

Dont want to get into your arguement here boys, but Seamus Molloy didnt win a state championship in football. Helena High was trounced in the championship game by a Justin Hartman led CMR Rustlers squad.

Just the facts... :lol:

Grizzle:

Appreicate your effort to mediate but there aren't any "facts". Your offer to teach me the error of my ways off the board wouldn't contain "facts". It would be more of the rumoring and third hand bs that resulted in the unfortunate insuations about Moloy in the first place

A "fact" would be contained in a sworn statement by Griz HC Glenn or Hauck which said that name, booster donations, sugar bear alumni status, relatives in high office and so on are factors considerred in the awarding of valuable scholarships. Short of that the assertions are baseless and unprovable and serve only to hurt and diminish the kid and no amount of chest thumping by bd experrts pretending to know the inside "facts" changes that.

Griz4life had it figured out, re-read his.

A lot of people questioned Jake Dennehy as a starting free safety for the Grizzlies. He wasn't overly quick, not a very tough hitter, but unless there was an unproven frosh, he was the only one. Of course unproven frosh have turned out fairly well, but I'm sure you all remember that people wondered about Mick's son.

Or if you want to fight the battle, how about Don Read and son Bruce? Bruce has turned himself into a very good special teams coach, but Bruce didn't necessarily have credentials for a college coaching job more than anyone else, and he would admit (and has admitted) that he didn't want to be a football coach. He wouldn't be where he is now had Don not been the head coach, and now it's his love and has allowed him success.

It may not always seem fair, but to me it's just a bigger scale of parents who do science projects "with" their kids, take little league candy to the office so their child can be the top seller, etc. If you want to complain about lineage determining status, then it should be a grassroots movement.

There may be a difference between an athletic scholarship and winning a medal for selling the most candy bars, but not to the kid who has to sell all his own candy bars.

Actually the Championship was led by the defense, Murphy, Ramstead,Lovell,Kain,ETC::::: If you followed that year Brady Leaf won most of those games and it was his team, he could have took them all the way, more class than Hartman by far. Hartman played because of his name.

Drouge, you have got to be kidding. I'm not going to argue that CMR's defense was very good, because they were. But to say that a Leaf has more class than Hartman, by far, is one of the most ridiculous statements I have read on this board. To say that Hartman played because of his name is even more absurd, especially when comparing Hartman to a kid whose brother played in the NFL. I don't remember Hartman doing anything "unclassy" per se while he was in high school. Sure, people may not have liked him, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that Brady Leaf had way more class than Hartman. I don't recall Brady Leaf being the most popular kid in GF either.

I'll guarantee you that you can ask the kids who played with hartman and brady what they thought about the two you'd be singing a different tune.
Actually my kid played on that team . Its not ubsurd at all.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying about Hartman. He seems to not be too popular in GF, even before this whole mess at UM. What I disagree with is your assessment of Leaf. By all accounts, he is growing in the same mold as his older brother, hopefully not quite as bad. Everyone I have talked to says that he is a cocky, egotistical prima-donna, just like Ryan. I went to GFHS, so I do know a lot of people in GF.

I also disagree that Hartman got his position because of his name. That just doesn't make any sense. If anyone was going to get the position because of his name, it would be Leaf. I also don't think Justin did too poor of a job while he was in high school. In fact, he was very, very highly regarded coming out of high school.

I guess what I want to say is that I am not trying to defend either person. I do think you are being a bit unfair to Hartman, though, perhaps because of this mess at the UM which had nothing to do with his play in high school.

Actually I am from Great Falls and do personally know about the football situation. My son played with both . I have seen both in action. I disagree Brady is like his brother. Actually Brady was pretty down to earth. :lol:

Back