• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Adam Eastwood Article

SACCAT66 said:
cclarkblues said:
daGrizJ said:
There is a beer at one of the Bozeman breweries called "Fumble One The One".

Was "Fumble On The One" already taken?

Name of the beer is "Fumble on the One", and it is made by a brewery in Missoula (..It is a bet between MAP brewing and some brewery in Missoula, can't remember name). The loser of the bet has to make a beer for the winner...

A similar thing might explain Bobcat Batter.

PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:
grizindabox said:
tourist said:
He will go down in Griz-cat lore as the guy who fumbled the ball to the cats and lost the game in '18, in WGS. They call it 'The Stuff.' Not matter what else he accomplished last year, or whatever he will accomplish in his next three years, he will be known for the fumble. 30 years from now nobody will know who the guard was, but the name Eastwood will live on. If he ever manages to fumble again, (god, I hope that never happens)I would predict an audible groan wherever the game is played.

Geoff Groschelle, kicker for the cats got credit for the last second Griz victory in '97, in Bozeman, by kicking the ball out of bounds. Totally on him, no guard to share the blame with. Doesn't matter how many field goals, extra points, or deep and no return kickoffs he managed to accomplish in his years. He is well thought of on BN, but is and will forever be known as the guy who set up the last second heroics.

Eastwood has three years to chisel his legacy, Rushmore-esque I hope. He has certainly put up a large obstacle in his path.

True. I only remember Chase Reynolds for "the fumble" too.

You can't even compare the reynolds fumble and eastwoods.two different scenarios entirely, for one Reynolds fumbled in the 3rd quarter and Montana had plenty of opportunities to win after it .with the Eastwood one it was Montana's last offensive play and all msu had to do was take an obligatory kneel down and the game was over. Big, big differences.

Don't understand why a critical late fumble is so different or worse than a critical early fumble. I can understand why some people would remember it better.

To your statement that that Montana had plenty of opportunities to win after an early fumble, I would say that Montana had plenty of opportunities to win before a late fumble.

I am going to disagree with you on one point and it has nothing to do with Eastwood.

First, hats off to him for owning it. There were several things that went sideways on the play that contributed to the out come.

Where I disagree is that in every game and in every sport the stakes and pressure become substantially higher as any game winds down, particularly a close game winding down. Great players are called “Great players” more for what they do in the final minutes and seconds of a game win it then what they do leading up to that point.

Again this is not shot at Eastwood in any way.
As I said there were several things that went wrong on that play and even if a fumble didn’t occur he would have been tackled in the back field.

CDAGRIZ said:
SACCAT66 said:
cclarkblues said:
daGrizJ said:
There is a beer at one of the Bozeman breweries called "Fumble One The One".

Was "Fumble On The One" already taken?

Name of the beer is "Fumble on the One", and it is made by a brewery in Missoula (..It is a bet between MAP brewing and some brewery in Missoula, can't remember name). The loser of the bet has to make a beer for the winner...

A similar thing might explain Bobcat Batter.

I don't think anything can explain that (and if something can, I don't want to hear it)

tourist said:
OK, AZ, what is your view of the fumble?

Sorry bud...normally I’m pretty in-line with your takes, but that one is just off the mark.

First off, there’s not too many players who get leveled by an entire side of the D-line that are going to hang onto that ball.
Second, Eastwood wasn’t the moron who called the exact same play twice in a row nor was he the guy(s) who completely go blown up on the play.
Third, if the Griz hadn’t pissed away a 21 point lead in the 4th quarter it would all have been a moot point.
Fourth, he’s a freshman. He’s got 3 years to redeem himself (assuming some think he needs “redemption”). His “Griz lore” is waaaaay yet to be determined.

Three straight victories against the Scats with Eastwood playing a key role will go a long ways to rehabilitating his image in the eyes of Griz fans who seem to think his image is somehow tarnished because of that one play.

AZGrizFan said:
Agree with most of your reply, but semantics may have clouded my post. I used the MSU kicker as an example, not of a poor performer overall, but noted for ONE SPECIFIC PLAY.
"First off, there’s not too many players who get leveled by an entire side of the D-line that are going to hang onto that ball." AGREE. Even I couldn't have pulled that one off.
"Second, Eastwood wasn’t the moron who called the exact same play twice in a row nor was he the guy(s) who completely go blown up on the play." AGREED ON BOTH POINTS. Was it Rosie or Bobby who made the call?
"Third, if the Griz hadn’t pissed away a 21 point lead in the 4th quarter it would all have been a moot point." AGREE. Unbelievable. And, it happened many times during the season.
"Fourth, he’s a freshman. He’s got 3 years to redeem himself (assuming some think he needs “redemption”)." AGREE, and said so earlier. He admitted his shortcomings, and is working to eliminate them.
"His “Griz lore” is waaaaay yet to be determined." DISAGREE. Do you have "The Divide War: Montana's Golden Treasure," by Pat Kearney? Great book about the Griz-scat rivalry from 1-102. Each year has its own special moments, good and bad, depending on which side of the divide you support. What's done is done, and is historical fact. Not buffered by anything yet to come. What else Eastwood accomplishes in his remaining time will determine if, at the end of his playing days, he is seen as just the guy who fumbled in '18, or if he will be known for superlatives yet to be seen. Hopefully, the latter. Whomever writes the next volume of the Brawl series, will note this fumble as just a game changing fact. The next three chapters will determine Eastwood's legacy.
Chase Reynolds has been mentioned as a fumbler. At least once, but that was after he had carved out his legacy. One fumble at the end of his college career hardly defines him, Griz-scat game or not. Eastwood is just starting, and has something to live down, not build upon. I think that in three years, this one play will be a small footnote in a very bright college career.
"Three straight victories against the Scats with Eastwood playing a key role will go a long ways to rehabilitating his image in the eyes of Griz fans who seem to think his image is somehow tarnished because of that one play." HEARTILY AGREE with three scat victories erasing this one play. He don't need no rehab.

PlayerRep said:
PeauxRouge said:
Copper Griz said:
reinell30 said:
I don't believe any poster on here has been as critical of Eastwood as I. However, I want the young man to become a superstar more than anyone. To say his fumble is worse than any other fumble last season is just plain wrong! A turnover is turnover no matter when it happens!
Let last years learning season be just what it was and move on to bigger and better this season!
Let's just all hope we have a running game this year again...

Go Griz!

This. Last years learning season will also be a major motivator. Losing is painful. Losing to a team who you should have beat is even more painful. If the Griz have a running game this year - they will be damn tough to beat. Very few people talk about the receiving corps. In a word. LOADED. Fumbles hurt in several games last year. Hope they learned their lesson and move on.

Great to have a loaded receiving crew, but will Sneed hit the open man?

Why wouldn't Sneed hit the open man? He was second in the conference in completion percentage last year, at 62.8%. That was 11th in the nation.

He was tied for the fewest interceptions of any qb in the conference, excluding those who threw under 90 times. He was 2d in conference in interceptions per throw of any qb in the conference, excluding qb's with under 90 throws.

Maier was first in both of those categories.

I have to go with Player on this one. The O line was not a strength last year and I criticized Sneed for not checking off and hitting his first option on a very frequent basis. If he did in fact do that, it may account for the low interception percentage somewhat, but lets give the kid a break. He had a swiss cheese O line that was hobbled together. I wonder why he did not check off more? Maybe he was afraid of his blind side and getting absolutely obliterated. I sure hope he gets more time and that the Griz have a serviceable run game this year. I think they will be better than expected. I am actually interested to watch Eastwood and Knight compete for the job. I would enjoy seeing both be successful and have fresh legs when rotating in.

Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
PeauxRouge said:
Copper Griz said:
This. Last years learning season will also be a major motivator. Losing is painful. Losing to a team who you should have beat is even more painful. If the Griz have a running game this year - they will be damn tough to beat. Very few people talk about the receiving corps. In a word. LOADED. Fumbles hurt in several games last year. Hope they learned their lesson and move on.

Great to have a loaded receiving crew, but will Sneed hit the open man?

Why wouldn't Sneed hit the open man? He was second in the conference in completion percentage last year, at 62.8%. That was 11th in the nation.

He was tied for the fewest interceptions of any qb in the conference, excluding those who threw under 90 times. He was 2d in conference in interceptions per throw of any qb in the conference, excluding qb's with under 90 throws.

Maier was first in both of those categories.

I have to go with Player on this one. The O line was not a strength last year and I criticized Sneed for not checking off and hitting his first option on a very frequent basis. If he did in fact do that, it may account for the low interception percentage somewhat, but lets give the kid a break. He had a swiss cheese O line that was hobbled together. I wonder why he did not check off more? Maybe he was afraid of his blind side and getting absolutely obliterated. I sure hope he gets more time and that the Griz have a serviceable run game this year. I think they will be better than expected. I am actually interested to watch Eastwood and Knight compete for the job. I would enjoy seeing both be successful and have fresh legs when rotating in.

I think the RB's will primarily be Graves, Knight and then Eastwood. Possibly Janacaro getting quite a few carries too.

tourist said:
AZGrizFan said:
Agree with most of your reply, but semantics may have clouded my post. I used the MSU kicker as an example, not of a poor performer overall, but noted for ONE SPECIFIC PLAY.
"First off, there’s not too many players who get leveled by an entire side of the D-line that are going to hang onto that ball." AGREE. Even I couldn't have pulled that one off.
"Second, Eastwood wasn’t the moron who called the exact same play twice in a row nor was he the guy(s) who completely go blown up on the play." AGREED ON BOTH POINTS. Was it Rosie or Bobby who made the call?
"Third, if the Griz hadn’t pissed away a 21 point lead in the 4th quarter it would all have been a moot point." AGREE. Unbelievable. And, it happened many times during the season.
"Fourth, he’s a freshman. He’s got 3 years to redeem himself (assuming some think he needs “redemption”)." AGREE, and said so earlier. He admitted his shortcomings, and is working to eliminate them.
"His “Griz lore” is waaaaay yet to be determined." DISAGREE. Do you have "The Divide War: Montana's Golden Treasure," by Pat Kearney? Great book about the Griz-scat rivalry from 1-102. Each year has its own special moments, good and bad, depending on which side of the divide you support. What's done is done, and is historical fact. Not buffered by anything yet to come.
What else Eastwood accomplishes in his remaining time will determine if, at the end of his playing days, he is seen as just the guy who fumbled in '18, or if he will be known for superlatives yet to be seen. Hopefully, the latter. Whomever writes the next volume of the Brawl series, will note this fumble as just a game changing fact. The next three chapters will determine Eastwood's legacy.
Chase Reynolds has been mentioned as a fumbler. At least once, but that was after he had carved out his legacy. One fumble at the end of his college career hardly defines him, Griz-scat game or not. Eastwood is just starting, and has something to live down, not build upon. I think that in three years, this one play will be a small footnote in a very bright college career.
"Three straight victories against the Scats with Eastwood playing a key role will go a long ways to rehabilitating his image in the eyes of Griz fans who seem to think his image is somehow tarnished because of that one play." HEARTILY AGREE with three scat victories erasing this one play. He don't need no rehab.

You say you disagree, yet you then go on to prove my point exactly. The next three chapters will determine Eastwood’s legacy. If he flames out and quits the team in a year or two then you’d be right. If he turns out to be a good to above average back and a great teammate then I think he’ll be fine. Either way, his legacy is yet to be determined.

No doubt, everyone who posts on Egriz would never have fumbled that ball in the 4th quarter, like Eastwood did. They would have all been dead after their first play. This guy deserves a break. He's working his ass off to be on the field, and I sure hope he makes all of us dopes eat our words.

rocklobster said:
No doubt, everyone who posts on Egriz would never have fumbled that ball in the 4th quarter, like Eastwood did. They would have all been dead after their first play. This guy deserves a break. He's working his ass off to be on the field, and I sure hope he makes all of us dopes eat our words.

Your first 2 sentences gave me a chuckle. Very true.

Back