• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

37 Legacy

MikeyGriz said:
"...From Kraig Paulson to now, the expectations at Montana haven’t changed. It’s beat the neighbors, win a Big Sky championship, win a national title. You got to work every year. The tradition’s not going anywhere..." :thumb:

Interesting that Kraig was coaching in Bozeman this weekend...He's doing a good job with the defensive line.

CrunchGriz said:
Proud Griz Man said:
It would make a great story (uncle, nephew) but it has been debated if he is technically a San Diegan or Montanan.
grizfan95 said:
Filthy McGrizzly said:
Who gets it from Simms?

Gotta be Hauck.

Born and raised in Montana.

I moved away from Montana at some point, too, but I've always considered myself to be a Montanan. I vote yes, he’s definitely Montanan, and the odds-on (and sentimental) favorite to be the next 37.

Robby is Montanan. Through and through.

Hauck
Lewis
McGinnis
Deming
O’Connell??? Gotta be a dark horse after his play this year...

If it’s an offensive player, probably Roberts but I highly doubt it leaves the defensive side of the ball.

AZGrizFan said:
grizfan95 said:
Proud Griz Man said:
It would make a great story (uncle, nephew) but it has been debated if he is technically a San Diegan or Montanan.
grizfan95 said:
Gotta be Hauck.

Well, he was born in Missoula and lived there until he was 12, so there's no debate.

:lol: Nope...I’d say not.

Fellas, I like your optimism, but Robby wasn't born in Montana. He claims Missoula as his home town as he was pretty much raised here since he was two. He was born in the Seattle area when Bobby was coaching at UW.

CrunchGriz said:
Proud Griz Man said:
grizfan95 said:
Filthy McGrizzly said:
Who gets it from Simms?

Gotta be Hauck.

I moved away from Montana at some point, too, but I've always considered myself to be a Montanan. I vote yes, he’s definitely Montanan, and the odds-on (and sentimental) favorite to be the next 37.

The only issue I have with Robby is that he chose NAU over being a Griz out of high school. To be honest, I don’t know why, but he did go to NAU. IMHO, #37 should go to a kid who always wanted to be a Griz. Thoughts?

go4two said:
CrunchGriz said:
Proud Griz Man said:
grizfan95 said:
Gotta be Hauck.

The only issue I have with Robby is that he chose NAU over being a Griz out of high school. To be honest, I don’t know why, but he did go to NAU. IMHO, #37 should go to a kid who always wanted to be a Griz. Thoughts?

Did we even offer him?

Htowngriz said:
go4two said:
CrunchGriz said:
Proud Griz Man said:

Did we even offer him?

I’m gonna bet Stitt didn’t go after him too hard, for obvious reasons.

go4two said:
CrunchGriz said:
Proud Griz Man said:
grizfan95 said:
Gotta be Hauck.

He didn't choose them over the Griz. Stitt didn't recruit Robby. Jerome did.

Again, if it really does matter if you were "Montana Born," Robby was born in the Seattle area. Didn't live in Montana until he was two.

PeauxRouge said:
go4two said:
CrunchGriz said:
Proud Griz Man said:

Again, if it really does matter if you were "Montana Born," Robby was born in the Seattle area. Didn't live in Montana until he was two.

Still could have walked on if he really wanted to be #37.

go4two said:
PeauxRouge said:
go4two said:
CrunchGriz said:

Sure, if he was actually born in Montana.

PeauxRouge said:
go4two said:
PeauxRouge said:
go4two said:

Don’t have to be born in MT. You just have to be a Montanan. Robby lived the majority of his life in MT. He qualifies in my book. It’s just he chose to go to NAU that disqualifies him for me. Great player though.

go4two said:
PeauxRouge said:
go4two said:
PeauxRouge said:

Don’t have to be born in MT. You just have to be a Montanan. Robby lived the majority of his life in MT. He qualifies in my book. It’s just he chose to go to NAU that disqualifies him for me. Great player though.

I think it depends on how you interpret the "rules." Some have said montana-born and others have just said Montanan. I would have no problem with Robby getting the number. I think he embodies everything that goes along with the legacy. But does that muddle up the Montanan caveat to the number? What about someone who moves here when he's 7, 10, or 13?

Regarding his going to NAU, I doubt it was much of a choice. I know a guy can walk on, but it's not like it's an open process. A coach has to agree to allow a kid to walk on and maybe Stitt wasn't receptive to that. I do know Robby was not highly recruited out of HS at this level. I think the only FCS schools to show any interest were Cal Poly and NAU. Otherwise it was lower division schools. Part of what played into that was his HS team really wasn't all that good. He was an exceptional player on an average team.

I think it would be fun to be a fly on the wall to hear Bobby and Robby talk about what was going on with Griz recruiting when Robby was a senior, though.

go4two said:
PeauxRouge said:
go4two said:
PeauxRouge said:

Going to another school first didn’t disqualify Tim Hauck.

PlayerRep said:
go4two said:
PeauxRouge said:
go4two said:

Going to another school first didn’t disqualify Tim Hauck.

Good point, but that was in the tradition’s inception. Now, and this is just me, the legend of #37 should be in every kids’ dreams since they were a pup. Robby is a stud, and in my book a Montana kid. In the end, I guess I would be happy for him to be #37. I wish I could have been a fly on that wall too!

PeauxRouge said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan95 said:
Proud Griz Man said:

Well, he was born in Missoula and lived there until he was 12, so there's no debate.

Fellas, I like your optimism, but Robby wasn't born in Montana. He claims Missoula as his home town as he was pretty much raised here since he was two. He was born in the Seattle area when Bobby was coaching at UW.

I had always heard he was born in Missoula and this Skyline article implies that when it says, "By the time he was 12, Hauck had to move away, leaving the place he was born."

https://skylinesportsmt.com/homecoming-robby-hauck-returns-to-his-roots-with-the-griz/

grizfan95 said:
PeauxRouge said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan95 said:

I had always heard he was born in Missoula and this Skyline article implies that when it says, "By the time he was 12, Hauck had to move away, leaving the place he was born."

https://skylinesportsmt.com/homecoming-robby-hauck-returns-to-his-roots-with-the-griz/

Yeah, Colter got that wrong. He was born in Washington.

Back