• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2021 offense discussion, strengths / concerns

BWahlberg said:
hunt-ducks said:
If Cam Humphrey reads my posts critical of his decision-making ability...... hopefully he takes it as a challenge to prove me wrong. And, I hope he does prove me wrong. I am just as much a Griz fan as any of you. But I am not immune to making critical observations about the team, or individual players, like some of you.

Personally I'm not worried about his decision making ability, it's the actual throw. From what I've seen in some cases the read/decision is correct but the throw is late or off-target. Seems to me more of trusting the read right away and going with it. He also seems to kind of nicely ease into it and get more comfortable as games go. In both PSU games (2019 and 2021) we saw that, as well as the other spring 2021 game.

In the spring PSU game his short to medium passes were very good but his longer passes were more likely to be off target. On the interception in the end zone, he just needed to put more air under it and get it over the DB and into the corner where only the receiver could catch it. Hopefully we will see him improving over the course of the season.

Da Boyz Mom said:
BWahlberg said:
Personally I'm not worried about his decision making ability, it's the actual throw. From what I've seen in some cases the read/decision is correct but the throw is late or off-target. Seems to me more of trusting the read right away and going with it. He also seems to kind of nicely ease into it and get more comfortable as games go. In both PSU games (2019 and 2021) we saw that, as well as the other spring 2021 game.

In the spring PSU game his short to medium passes were very good but his longer passes were more likely to be off target. On the interception in the end zone, he just needed to put more air under it and get it over the DB and into the corner where only the receiver could catch it. Hopefully we will see him improving over the course of the season.

Yep, and even his TD pass to Sulser was late, but got through the defense. I think it goes back to trusting the right read and acting on it.

Proud Griz Man said:
is there a recent/ impending transfer OL? Are there any Frosh or RS-Frosh OL ready to play/ move up depth?

- Starting OL is stacked, experienced, and mean AF. Backups are coming along, I had to take some guesses at a few spots on depth, lots of rotation in the spring but the group looked good regardless

- Stable of RBs provide a great trio that should soften the loss of Knight

Is Knight out all of 2021, or is there a chance we see him before MSU game?

Thanks BW - good thread. :clap:
His father has tweeted he will be back in 2022.

fanofzoo said:
kemajic said:
You don't even seem to recognize that it has nothing to do with math. It's simple English. Math has to do with calculus and differential equations. You may have to Google those.

Well I did goggle it and no problem with all that, it's the phrase "some is more than none" when were talking points. Simple math too hard for you? Thats ok I used to teach remedial math, I understand your problems, well some of them anyway, some you need professional help.
Actually, I am the professional; you are in way over your head. How much advanced math do you suppose it takes to get a PhD in Chemistry and spend a career doing and managing research? When the point was your insane shade thrown on our offense.

kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:
Well I did goggle it and no problem with all that, it's the phrase "some is more than none" when were talking points. Simple math too hard for you? Thats ok I used to teach remedial math, I understand your problems, well some of them anyway, some you need professional help.
Actually, I am the professional; you are in way over your head. How much advanced math do you suppose it takes to get a PhD in Chemistry and spend a career doing and managing research? When the point was your insane shade thrown on our offense.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

As someone who can barely read, and whose certificates of achievement can only be explained by miracles and clerical errors, this last page has been educational. Thanks, everyone!

CDAGRIZ said:
As someone who can barely read, and whose certificates of achievement can only be explained by miracles and clerical errors, this last page has been educational. Thanks, everyone!

:lol: :clap:

BWahlberg said:
hunt-ducks said:
If Cam Humphrey reads my posts critical of his decision-making ability...... hopefully he takes it as a challenge to prove me wrong. And, I hope he does prove me wrong. I am just as much a Griz fan as any of you. But I am not immune to making critical observations about the team, or individual players, like some of you.

See, to me, throwing late is actually linked to decision making ability. The great QBs would not make a throw late, knowing that it could be defended, or even worse, intercepted. As for a comment about Cam being good on the short throws, I would totally disagree with this statement. One of his weaknesses IMO, is a lack of touch on the swing passes and shorter throws. Having a big arm, which Cam has, can be a detriment if he can not take something off so his passes are easily catchable by the receiver. To me, Cam is one of those QBs who dazzles you on many throws, but predictably cause you to scratch your head on several throws a game, leading to inaccuracy, poor decisions, or interceptions. The #1 attribute for a great college QB is to manage the game, and avoid turnovers. Not sure Cam is that guy.

If any of you remember Jeff George, the quintessential under-performing NFL QB who had a penchant for head-scratching throws, while always being lauded as having one of the best arms in the game. I think Cam is that type of guy.

hunt-ducks said:
BWahlberg said:

See, to me, throwing late is actually linked to decision making ability. The great QBs would not make a throw late, knowing that it could be defended, or even worse, intercepted. As for a comment about Cam being good on the short throws, I would totally disagree with this statement. One of his weaknesses IMO, is a lack of touch on the swing passes and shorter throws. Having a big arm, which Cam has, can be a detriment if he can not take something off so his passes are easily catchable by the receiver. To me, Cam is one of those QBs who dazzles you on many throws, but predictably cause you to scratch your head on several throws a game, leading to inaccuracy, poor decisions, or interceptions. The #1 attribute for a great college QB is to manage the game, and avoid turnovers. Not sure Cam is that guy.

If any of you remember Jeff George, the quintessential under-performing NFL QB who had a penchant for head-scratching throws, while always being lauded as having one of the best arms in the game. I think Cam is that type of guy.

I can agree with a lot of this. He has all the arm talent in the world, high caliber actually for FCS talent, but he does seem to make some poor decisions or force some throws thinking his arm will make up for it. He threw 2 picks yesterday in 11 on 11, granted Robby Hauck made outstanding plays on both. I think Cam can win us a lot of games but I do think he will have a number of head scratching moments. The question is, how many will Bobby allow.

HookedonGriz said:
hunt-ducks said:

I can agree with a lot of this. He has all the arm talent in the world, high caliber actually for FCS talent, but he does seem to make some poor decisions or force some throws thinking his arm will make up for it. He threw 2 picks yesterday in 11 on 11, granted Robby Hauck made outstanding plays on both. I think Cam can win us a lot of games but I do think he will have a number of head scratching moments. The question is, how many will Bobby allow.

I agree with hunt's basic premise as well. Making the read quickly and being able to pull the trigger accurately are all part of that innate decision-making ability.

But are you telling me the guy who is supposed to be pulled out on third downs made TWO INT's yesterday? I thought he sucked at pass coverage? :D :D :D :D

HookedonGriz said:
hunt-ducks said:

Good point. Bobby hates turnovers more than anything.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

I agree with hunt's basic premise as well. Making the read quickly and being able to pull the trigger accurately are all part of that innate decision-making ability.

But are you telling me the guy who is supposed to be pulled out on third downs made TWO INT's yesterday? I thought he sucked at pass coverage? :D :D :D :D

So predictable. I knew you would pounce on any opportunity to embellish some training camp drill performance. We'll see how he defends the pass when it really counts.

hunt-ducks said:
BWahlberg said:

Do we think the touch throws are things that can be learned via experience and coaching, or are QBs just unable to add anything to the toolkit after a certain point? I ask because I know much more about BB than FB, and BB players routinely add dimensions to their games in college. I remember Kelly Olynyk being a one-dimensional back to the basket guy when he came to GU, and by the time he left he was able to handle the ball and bury open 3s. Hoping Cam has added some skill to the big arm.

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:

So predictable. I knew you would pounce on any opportunity to embellish some training camp drill performance. We'll see how he defends the pass when it really counts.

hey, numbnuts....see that :D :D :D :D :D

That implies sarcasm. Humor. Look it up if you don't comprehend.

And you're so triggered by me that you completely ignored the part of the post where I agreed with your analysis. Livin' rent free in your head.....you should get that checked out by a professional.

HookedonGriz said:
hunt-ducks said:

You do know he's only out there because his father is the HC, right? :roll: :wink:

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:

And you're so triggered by me that you completely ignored the part of the post where I agreed with your analysis. Livin' rent free in your head.....you should get that checked out by a professional.

"triggered to you???" Hardly, my short-peckered buddy. I own you. You are king of the obvious. You couldn't make a valid observation of a fart contest in a bean factory, let alone about a football conversation. Might wanna take a break and purchase some Preparation H.

CDAGRIZ said:
hunt-ducks said:

Do we think the touch throws are things that can be learned via experience and coaching, or are QBs just unable to add anything to the toolkit after a certain point? I ask because I know much more about BB than FB, and BB players routinely add dimensions to their games in college. I remember Kelly Olynyk being a one-dimensional back to the basket guy when he came to GU, and by the time he left he was able to handle the ball and bury open 3s. Hoping Cam has added some skill to the big arm.

Refreshing to see you make a post talking football for a change. Cam is a sixth-year-senior. One would think that he would have enough experience and coaching to be able to make touch throws by now, right? This gets back to the old discussion about whether passing accuracy can be taught to a QB. I maintain that accuracy is either there, or is not, and can't be taught. Throwing mechanics can improve accuracy, and can be taught. IMO, Cam's biggest problem is his decision-making. If he consistently makes the correct read, and delivers the ball on-time, he looks like a great QB. Unfortunately, he doesn't do that consistently. As for the touch aspect on short passes, there have been NFL QBs who never seem to be able to throw those with touch. Kyler Murray had problems last season throwing the short passes and swing passes with touch. My opinion is that QBs either have that skill, or they don't.

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:

"triggered to you???" Hardly, my short-peckered buddy. I own you. You are king of the obvious. If the consensus is there, you jump on it like a frog on a June bug. Robby is pre-season All-Conference, so he MUST be great in pass coverage, right? Yet, watch the tape of our games, and you will see him often committing to the run much too early, and getting beat deep by a WR. It happened many times. How do you think a free safety makes so many tackles??? And his recovery speed is just not there after getting beat. I love his passion, nose for the football, ability to deliver a blow on tackles, etc. But his pass coverage skills are not equal to other great safeties that have played here. You couldn't make a valid observation of a fart contest in a bean factory, let alone about a football conversation. Stick with the popular posters. You'll feel better about your self. Might wanna take a break and purchase some Preparation H.

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:

"triggered to you???" Hardly, my short-peckered buddy. I own you. You are king of the obvious. You couldn't make a valid observation of a fart contest in a bean factory, let alone about a football conversation. Might wanna take a break and purchase some Preparation H.

Christ on a crutch you're delusional. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:

Christ on a crutch you're delusional. :lol: :lol: :lol:

His zingers must kill it at the Del Webb clubhouse in Peoria, AZ.

Back