• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2021-22 University of Montana Mens Basketball Recruiting

Zirg said:
Mousegriz said:
Watched him vs. Missoula Sentinel last night. Very unimpressed. Think he got to three points all in final quarter and maybe 3 or 4 rebounds. Big Sky blocked off on FT's and shot them like a 5th grade girls YMCA team!

...and to think the Griz didn't recruit Andy Garland!

no D1 school recruited Andy Garland, nor should they have. There's only been, what 3? legit D1 boys b-baller out of Montana in the last 10 years?- Tres Tinkle, Kendal Samuel and Rollie Worster. Maybe I am missing one, but Montana has to be ranked in the bottom 4 or 5 states in America for D1 b-ball recruits. You can't convince me that Worster is better than Beasley or Whitney or Parker anyways. I miss the days of the Griz starting 4 native Montanans (1991?), but that will never happen again. There will be a Montana-native (Jake Sanderson) in the NHL before there is another NBA-er from Montana.

Evans and Huestis.

Hoping he meant to put just Montana and not Montana state
[media]https://twitter.com/TheCircuitAlex/status/1504130445176360961?s=20&t=RsRb1CYjdbZmqoMPL89mZg[/media]

flatheadgriz406 said:
Hoping he meant to put just Montana and not Montana state
[media]https://twitter.com/TheCircuitAlex/status/1504130445176360961?s=20&t=RsRb1CYjdbZmqoMPL89mZg[/media]

The least we can do is make an offer. Then again, he's another guard. But a very highly rated guard. I wouldn't be upset about offering him.

mtgrizrule said:
Zirg said:
no D1 school recruited Andy Garland, nor should they have. There's only been, what 3? legit D1 boys b-baller out of Montana in the last 10 years?- Tres Tinkle, Kendal Samuel and Rollie Worster. Maybe I am missing one, but Montana has to be ranked in the bottom 4 or 5 states in America for D1 b-ball recruits. You can't convince me that Worster is better than Beasley or Whitney or Parker anyways. I miss the days of the Griz starting 4 native Montanans (1991?), but that will never happen again. There will be a Montana-native (Jake Sanderson) in the NHL before there is another NBA-er from Montana.

Evans and Huestis.

...Kendall Manuel...he played here on a conference champ NCAA team and was the last true shooter the Griz have had on their roster..... get his name right! Jared Samuelson played here as true frosh, went to Rocky and came back......and was better than any 6"7"+ guy Griz have on their roster today. Zaccheus Darko Kelly was NAIA All American (like Garland).

Kind of interesting to me that of these few Montanans...Tinkle, Darko Kelly, Manuel are all playing pro ball today. Evans played big role at Florida State for three years (may get a pro chance) and Huestis made the NBA. Montana's "legit d1 boys bballers" have proven to be pretty legit even after D1 ball! Wonder where Whitney and Beasley will play their pro ball?

… on Garland:

Former Carroll College coach Gary Turcott: “He was a guy that could play anywhere on the basketball court. He was 6-foot-6, 220 pounds and could play inside or outside. … Andy was the best player that I ever recruited. Four-year starter once again. All-American. He just did it all. He could score anywhere, that was the thing. He could shoot 3s, he could get down in the block and score. He was a really good defender and tremendous rebounder. He was a leader. He just did it all and more than anything he was just a great person and student. He was the kind of person that everybody loved to be around and say that they knew Andy Garland and got a chance to watch him play.”

flatheadgriz406 said:
[media]https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/status/1504814573735583752?s=20&t=7pMjMAYmGOPZElQibkGfQg[/media]

At least,we can honestly tell him, you'll be #1 option for a big.

flatheadgriz406 said:
[media]https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1507007660683456528?t=wyi5O3XIAoZ4VyhV88a8kw&s=19[/media]

NO, NO, NO!!! Not another 6' guard!! We've got young starting guards, redshirt guards, incoming guards. Puh-lease! No more guards! We should focus all our attention on some quality bigs.

I can hear Mouse and Wyoming saying, "I thought you were the three-point guy?" Yeah, but even bigs today shoot trey's. Karl Anthony Towns won the N.B.A. three-point contest. Jokic shoots three's. Chet Holmgren of the Zags shoots three's. It's no longer about small guards shooting from deep. We gotta get some heft, height and bulk on this team.

Looks like TD is searching for PG depth, which believe it or not, they need because with all those guards on the roster, there isn't much in terms of a PG.

Back in the 90s I was told by the Auburn basketball coach Tommy Joe Eagles that the hardest position to recruit was a true point guard. That position was in his opinion way harder to recruit than a big man. Whether that’s true today or not I don’t know.

Griz1 said:
Back in the 90s I was told by the Auburn basketball coach Tommy Joe Eagles that the hardest position to recruit was a true point guard. That position was in his opinion way harder to recruit than a big man. Whether that’s true today or not I don’t know.

I think it's still true. You should recruit one point guard every year.

But remember, we were promised that Vazquez was that point guard. The guy to break DeCuire's assist record. Remember? Isn't Whitney a point guard? If we're that short of point guards, it's yet another recruiting deficiency--from a staff that should know point guards.

citay said:
Griz1 said:

I think it's still true. You should recruit one point guard every year.

But remember, we were promised that Vazquez was that point guard. The guy to break DeCuire's assist record. Remember? Isn't Whitney a point guard? If we're that short of point guards, it's yet another recruiting deficiency--from a staff that should know point guards.

Also, Isaiah Kerr is listed as a pg on verbalcommits.

Mousegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
Evans and Huestis.

...Kendall Manuel...he played here on a conference champ NCAA team and was the last true shooter the Griz have had on their roster..... get his name right! Jared Samuelson played here as true frosh, went to Rocky and came back......and was better than any 6"7"+ guy Griz have on their roster today. Zaccheus Darko Kelly was NAIA All American (like Garland).

Kind of interesting to me that of these few Montanans...Tinkle, Darko Kelly, Manuel are all playing pro ball today. Evans played big role at Florida State for three years (may get a pro chance) and Huestis made the NBA. Montana's "legit d1 boys bballers" have proven to be pretty legit even after D1 ball! Wonder where Whitney and Beasley will play their pro ball?

My bad about getting Manuel wrong.

[media]https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1509233729830416386?s=20&t=AmTGa9SqRYEajJM1V7BV-w[/media]

[media]https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1504121851697639428?s=20&t=AmTGa9SqRYEajJM1V7BV-w[/media]

fanofzoo said:
flatheadgriz406 said:
[media]https://twitter.com/skylineprepmbb/status/1509188378201255937?t=rNNj6VupxLxCZCPgJaCaFA&s=19[/media]

Too tall to play guard here.

I think Braggs is 6'4". He's also 200 lbs. DeCuire is going after bigger guards. Unfortunately, the talented bigger guards go high mid major to power 5 usually. Ditto 3 star and better bigs.

The GRIZ best odds at adding quality bigger players, would be by developing projects, with high upside.

We fans seem to forget, how difficult it is to land the kind of players you're wanting.

Back