• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2011 Griz Football Recruiting List

According to Scout we've got a JC transfer named Kevin Frank with an offer; only shows Montana as a school of interest...here's his profile http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5182240

Okay I'm over my initial excitement and on my third edit...he originally committed to Boise, changed his mind and decided to go to Washington State...ultimately ended up at Sierra so this kid is a bit of a wildcard.

payton, maybe you or someone else can comment on this question,,,in coach pflu's radio show he advised he had 12 scholarships available for the coming recruiting year and hoped that he could give several partials out of that dozen...my question is, wouldn't that put the griz at a disadvantage of other programs that will offer the these recruits a full ride???? how do you compete for that athlete??? why does he think this will fly??? just curious as to your answer....maybe, that the u of montana and griz carry alot more weight, although that would be pretty presumptive on our part, i would think....

krammer said:
payton, maybe you or someone else can comment on this question,,,in coach pflu's radio show he advised he had 12 scholarships available for the coming recruiting year and hoped that he could give several partials out of that dozen...my question is, wouldn't that put the griz at a disadvantage of other programs that will offer the these recruits a full ride???? how do you compete for that athlete??? why does he think this will fly??? just curious as to your answer....maybe, that the u of montana and griz carry alot more weight, although that would be pretty presumptive on our part, i would think....

Partials are a fact of life in FCS level. We typically use them for Montana kids and are really only a disadvantage if MSU offers more than we do. We have lost kids to this and so has MSU.

Some players receive academic scholarships so that plus half a football scholarsip is what happens in some cases I think. That is one of the reasons coaches all across the country value academics when choosing who to offer.

WaGriz4life said:
Some players receive academic scholarships so that plus half a football scholarsip is what happens in some cases I think. That is one of the reasons coaches all across the country value academics when choosing who to offer.

Not the case. Academic scholarships get counted toward the athletic scholarships. This keeps schools from creating fake "academic scholarships" to offer more than the 63 full scholarships allowed. FBS schools do not have partial scholarships. They are all full scholarships. That is why you see a full roster of players, but we only have 63 full scholarships. Many are partial and they often become full as the go through the program and earn it.

How can Pflu only have 12 schollies?

There are at least 20 players on the team that should have their scholarship cut right now, partial or otherwise.

krammer said:

If you look at the incredible disproportionate number of seniors on our team next year, it will be scary how young we will be in 2012! I have no idea how our mix of classes became so skewed, but just check out the number of juniors on this year's team. We will have about 30-35 schollies to give in next year's recruiting class!

maroonandsilver said:
If I was a recruit, and checked out what is being spouted on e-Griz, I'd be going anywhere but UM.

Oh yeah, a kid is going to base his decision on a fan message board. for certain! :roll: :roll: :roll: Nobody could make this stuff up....

Getting Roderick would be huge. The kid is a stud and seems to run the offense that Pfru is trying to install. Fast, a strong, accurate passer and makes good decisions on the option. He also was kicker/punter for Bozeman. I know it's just high school competition, but he dominated Class AA teams.

Growler1 said:
I have no idea how our mix of classes became so skewed, but just check out the number of juniors on this year's team.

A number of them were drop downs and transfers this year. They came in as a junior. I expect about the same to happen this coming year.

Growler1 said:
maroonandsilver said:
If I was a recruit, and checked out what is being spouted on e-Griz, I'd be going anywhere but UM.

Oh yeah, a kid is going to base his decision on a fan message board. for certain! :roll: :roll: :roll: Nobody could make this stuff up....

And if a kid did make a choice like that, he can go fu*k himself.....hes a loser and........I wouldnt want a "simple" boy like that on a Griz team anyway.

Add this guy as a possibility, has offers from Air Force, UNH, and MSU arleady

http://washington.scout.com/a.z?s=147&p=8&c=1&nid=4350456

Anyone know what's up with all the kids from Kapolei HS? You'd think it was a football powerhouse to have so many players on the Griz list incluging the QB, but the school won one game this year. Any insights?

Also, the Butte Central athlete suffered at least a partial tear to his MCL during the playoffs this year. He sounds like a great athlete, but he's going to have to mend.

griz4life said:
Anyone know what's up with all the kids from Kapolei HS? You'd think it was a football powerhouse to have so many players on the Griz list incluging the QB, but the school won one game this year. Any insights?

Also, the Butte Central athlete suffered at least a partial tear to his MCL during the playoffs this year. He sounds like a great athlete, but he's going to have to mend.
Don't know the school, but I know where kapolei is (right next to my house). I guess I'd better start paying attention to them next year.

Growler1 said:
krammer said:

If you look at the incredible disproportionate number of seniors on our team next year, it will be scary how young we will be in 2012! I have no idea how our mix of classes became so skewed, but just check out the number of juniors on this year's team. We will have about 30-35 schollies to give in next year's recruiting class!

I don't know what the max number of schollies that can be given in a given year in FCS is , but in the FBS it's 25.

maroonandsilver said:
I don't know what the max number of schollies that can be given in a given year in FCS is , but in the FBS it's 25.
Because FCS schools can use their 63 scholarships to spread to a maximum of 85 receiving full or partial, FCS schools can provide a maximum of 30 new scholarships a year. And, yes, all 30 can be full but that would really hamstring a program for a couple of years if they did...

With Mchnight being a senior next year, they need to go after Matt Berg from butte.He can do it all ,great fieldgoal kicker ,kickoffs and a hell of a QB.He has the intangibles.

HI Griz Fan said:
griz4life said:

Don't know the school, but I know where kapolei is (right next to my house). I guess I'd better start paying attention to them next year.

After doing a little research, I can see how Kapolei could hit a rough patch and still have good players. Seems that they had some significant transfers out before the 2010 season and for good off field reasons.
That's a rough place to grow up. Fights break out at the football games between rival schools. There's quite a bit of youtube stuff on it. Butte Montana has nothing on Kapolei.

Back