• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Future Schedule

get'em_griz said:
... Going back to your point about a "home game against the FCS Griz would almost certainly hurt attendance at either Wyoming or USU", I'm not sure that's very accurate. Since our game with Wyoming in 2015, that game is Wyoming's 3rd-highest attended game in 4 years, and was Wyoming's highest-attended game in 2014. It has also been Wyoming's highest-attended home opener as well, beating out the Washington State opener in 2018 (24,131). Pretty impressive for an FCS program to draw larger crowd numbers at an FBS venue than visiting FBS programs do.

1. vs Oregon (2017) - 29,139
2. vs Air Force (2016) - 26,623
3. vs Montana (2014) - 25,243
4. vs Washington State (2018) - 24,131
5. vs #13 Boise State (2016) - 24,023
6. vs San Diego State (2016) - 24,001
7. vs North Dakota (2015) - 23,669
8. vs Colorado State (2017) - 22,840
9. vs Boise State (2018) - 22,271
10. vs Texas State (2017) - 21,784
I stand corrected. And, in this case, glad of it!

Considering that 2014 was in the "down" Delaney years, that is pretty damned impressive. As I recall, most Big Sky teams draw their biggest crowds when the Griz come to town. (Or am I wrong on that?) But to see the "Griz effect" at an FBS school is pretty amazing.

Not sure if the NCAA rules allow them to schedule home and home. The game would be fun as many families have grads from both schools.

Spanky2 said:
PlayerRep said:
Feel free to show any quotes of coaches saying a team has to play only the best, top and touch teams, and can't player any lesser teams, to improve or be the best.

DeCuire said a few years ago, after non-conference play and multiple losses, that the non-conference schedule had probably been too tough.
I would bet the farm that DeCuire didn’t say the non conference games lowered the overall quality of his team.

Why do you think he said that he thought the schedule was probably too hard? I can't recall for sure, but I think he indicated that the tough schedule may have hurt the team's confidence.

Spanky2 said:
Well, the playoffs group will likely attack me, but it would be positive for both Wyoming and Montana to negotiate a home and home series.

Would it? I thought all or most FBS conference prohibited home and homes with FCS?

You might be right. I mentioned that in another post.
I didn’t say DeCuire stated the schedule was too hard. You said DeCuire said the non conference schedule was probably too tough. Did you say that?

Spanky2 said:
You might be right. I mentioned that in another post.
I didn’t say DeCuire stated the schedule was too hard. You said DeCuire said the non conference schedule was probably too tough. Did you say that?

I know what I said, and I know what you said. Then, I asked a question. Why do you think he said the schedule may have been too tough?

Spanky2 said:
You said that you couldn’t recall what he said. You talked to DeCuire, I didn’t.

It was in the newspaper. He said the non-conference schedule may have been too tough. I couldn't recall what else he said.

SoldierGriz said:
Spanky, running the table on an all FCS schedule and winning the BSC gets the Griz a top 4 seed guaranteed...if not top 2. That guarantees home playoff games. It's the path that led to most if not all of the Griz deep playoff runs in the past. It's the formula required now to RTD. Recruits like to win, that's what they like.

I assume what you are saying here is winning 3 fcs non-conf games AND winning the bsc, but not necessarily 11-0 and undefeated gets a top 4 seed, and probably a top 2? I don't think that is really true. 6-2 conference is usually good enough to win the conference, but 3 limited or non-scholarship wins won't lead to a strong enough sos to get a top seed. If you are saying Griz go undefeated in conference then surely a team that good could also afford a loss against a top ranked fcs or bsc and still get a top seed.

I'm not saying it has to be 3 top ranked or FBS teams on the non-conf schedule, but there has to be at least 1 top level fcs and 1 mid level fcs. Again the Griz had 7 d-1 wins in 2017 and got left out of the playoffs because the playoff committee wasn't impressed with the teams they beat including Valparaiso and savannah state.

Spanky2 said:
Well, the playoffs group will likely attack me, but it would be positive for both Wyoming and Montana to negotiate a home and home series.

But, by their conference rules, Wyoming cannot play at UM.

Grizbeer said:
SoldierGriz said:
Spanky, running the table on an all FCS schedule and winning the BSC gets the Griz a top 4 seed guaranteed...if not top 2. That guarantees home playoff games. It's the path that led to most if not all of the Griz deep playoff runs in the past. It's the formula required now to RTD. Recruits like to win, that's what they like.

I assume what you are saying here is winning 3 fcs non-conf games AND winning the bsc, but not necessarily 11-0 and undefeated gets a top 4 seed, and probably a top 2? I don't think that is really true. 6-2 conference is usually good enough to win the conference, but 3 limited or non-scholarship wins won't lead to a strong enough sos to get a top seed. If you are saying Griz go undefeated in conference then surely a team that good could also afford a loss against a top ranked fcs or bsc and still get a top seed.

I'm not saying it has to be 3 top ranked or FBS teams on the non-conf schedule, but there has to be at least 1 top level fcs and 1 mid level fcs. Again the Griz had 7 d-1 wins in 2017 and got left out of the playoffs because the playoff committee wasn't impressed with the teams they beat including Valparaiso and savannah state.

I understand every year is different. I'm not sure Weber had a top FCS or Mid FCS win outside of conference last year...they did beat ewu and then lost to NAU in conference. Utah loss seemed irrelevant. #2 seed.

If a team has 2 plus conf losses, then yes, would need high quality out of conf FCS wins to get seed consideration. These wins most likely need to be over other playoff teams. But, 1 conf loss, conf champ, and wins in all out of conf FCS games gets top 4 seed vast majority of the time.

Undefeated BSC team with all FCS wins is absolutely guaranteed top 4 seed and I don't think it matters who those teams are. This may not be true for every conference, but it is for BSC.

get'em_griz said:
Going back to your point about a "home game against the FCS Griz would almost certainly hurt attendance at either Wyoming or USU", I'm not sure that's very accurate. Since our game with Wyoming in 2015, that game is Wyoming's 3rd-highest attended game in 4 years, and was Wyoming's highest-attended game in 2014. It has also been Wyoming's highest-attended home opener as well, beating out the Washington State opener in 2018 (24,131). Pretty impressive for an FCS program to draw larger crowd numbers at an FBS venue than visiting FBS programs do.

We beat UND by 1574, which is a pretty good number for the Griz fans in the stands. Suggests about 24,000 as a baseline. Little evidence that Montana had a big impact in bringing out the Cowboy faithful.

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

Would it? I thought all or most FBS conference prohibited home and homes with FCS?
All, as far as I know.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

All, as far as I know.
Army played at Yale a few years ago, but that needed a waiver. Yale bowl holds 61,000.

Missoula223 said:
Spanky2 said:
PlayerRep said:
Feel free to show any quotes of coaches saying a team has to play only the best, top and touch teams, and can't player any lesser teams, to improve or be the best.

DeCuire said a few years ago, after non-conference play and multiple losses, that the non-conference schedule had probably been too tough.
I would bet the farm that DeCuire didn’t say the non conference games lowered the overall quality of his team.

*Avoids every single point made on this page* :D :D

He seems to be good at that :mrgreen:

get'em_griz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
PlayerRep said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Just to reinforce that point: For the 2017 season (official NCAA attendace stats for 2018 are not up yet), the Griz averaged 23,535 attendance for their home games. Wyoming and Utah State averaged 20,614 and 20,108, respectively. Realistically, attendance would go up if either FBS team came to WaGriz ... maybe a lot. Conversely, a home game against the FCS Griz would almost certainly hurt attendance at either Wyoming or USU.
2017 attendance was down almost 2,000 per game from the prior year.
Yep. But a down year for Griz attendance was still about 3000 more than those two FBS venues. And that was a year when both of them were good enough (barely) to go to bowl games.

Going back to your point about a "home game against the FCS Griz would almost certainly hurt attendance at either Wyoming or USU", I'm not sure that's very accurate. Since our game with Wyoming in 2015, that game is Wyoming's 3rd-highest attended game in 4 years, and was Wyoming's highest-attended game in 2014. It has also been Wyoming's highest-attended home opener as well, beating out the Washington State opener in 2018 (24,131). Pretty impressive for an FCS program to draw larger crowd numbers at an FBS venue than visiting FBS programs do.

NAU has been Arizona State's best draw OOC most years we play down there. And a couple of years the NAU game was the best attended all season.

Placement in the schedule helps - first home game of the season, people excited to see what the home team will do (then they suck, so people stop coming, etc).

Spanky2 said:

Never will happen as long as Wyoming is FBS and Montana is FCS

dbackjon said:
Spanky2 said:

Hmmm...if only there were a solution to this problem....

EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:
Spanky2 said:

Hmmm...if only there were a solution to this problem....

That's crazy talk, Everett.

Back