• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mont St. transfer from UW - RaeQuan Battle

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
Cats, I don't think 12 has a clue about basketball. Obviously, never played it. He makes statements that no one who played or understands the game would make. Just looks up stuff on internet and makes up stuff.

I see no evidence that the transfer isn't willing to be coached.

"But Sprinkle said the 6-foot-5 shooting guard comes with some “unbelievable” athleticism.

“He’s got to come here and be humble and continue to work. He sounds like he is,” Sprinkle said. “Everything he talked about was the team and what we have to do to win a championship. That really went a long way with me and what he’s looking for. I think he’ll be a great fit. He has elite talent.”

Sprinkle: "Unbelievable" athleticism". "Elite talent." "I think he’ll be a great fit." But 12 thinks he knows more than Tinkle and knows what's in the transfer's head. Using 12's term, 12 is an "idiot".

12, again, learn to read. I said: "Unless it just doesn't work at all, which I doubt."

And yet again, you refer to what people SAY, and not what they DO. Everyone knows he’s an elite athlete. He just doesn’t have the discipline, mindset, or confidence to be an elite player. Could than change? Yes. Is it likely? Who knows. It depends on if he is willing to change his game. You did this same shit with Momberg. Blindly defending players as being better than they are.
Remember Satterwhite? He was an elite athlete as well...What caused him to leave? His mindset, inability to confront challenge and overcome adversity. Just being athletic is not enough. Clearly you aren’t much of an athlete yourself, or you’d know this.

I said from day 1 that Satterwhite was vastly overrated by most on egriz. I was told that he thought he would walk into the starting job, was arrogant, and wouldn't put in the effort. Funny how I can sense what the transfers are, and you can't. Difference is that you never played the game, never played any college sport, and don't know what you are talking about.

I was not blinding defending Momberg. She is a very good player with very good potential. A very good hard worker. You know zero about Momberg,.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:
And yet again, you refer to what people SAY, and not what they DO. Everyone knows he’s an elite athlete. He just doesn’t have the discipline, mindset, or confidence to be an elite player. Could than change? Yes. Is it likely? Who knows. It depends on if he is willing to change his game. You did this same shit with Momberg. Blindly defending players as being better than they are.
Remember Satterwhite? He was an elite athlete as well...What caused him to leave? His mindset, inability to confront challenge and overcome adversity. Just being athletic is not enough. Clearly you aren’t much of an athlete yourself, or you’d know this.

I said from day 1 that Satterwhite was vastly overrated by most on egriz. I was told that he thought he would walk into the starting job, was arrogant, and wouldn't put in the effort. Funny how I can sense what the transfers are, and you can't. Difference is that you never played the game, never played any college sport, and don't know what you are talking about.

I was not blinding defending Momberg. She is a very good player with very good potential. A very good hard worker. You know zero about Momberg,.
You don’t know me nor do you know my background. And yes, Momberg is a very good player. For the NAIA level, where she belongs.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

You don’t know me nor do you know my background. And yes, Momberg is a very good player. For the NAIA level, where she belongs.

True, but I can tell you don't understand the game of basketball. We shall see where Momberg ends her career. You should ask Mike Petrino about her and her potential. Oh never mind, you think you know more than coaches.

Cats, I don't think 12 has a clue about basketball. Obviously, never played it.
[/quote]

You could be right. But as a former player and coach myself my gut says he knows some stuff in regards to Montana/Montana St hoops.

He just might have some maroon glasses on and that’s ok. :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

True, but I can tell you don't understand the game of basketball. We shall see where Momberg ends her career. You should ask Mike Petrino about her and her potential. Oh never mind, you think you know more than coaches.

If Petrino thought she was good, she would have played. The team this year was not good and she still did not see court time. Just because players have a Montana background does not mean they should have a spot on the roster. Potential is just potential until a player becomes driven enough to turn it into ability. This is the same thing I think you don’t realize with Battle. Battle has HUGE potential, absolutely sky high. Even getting 80% of that potential out of him and he’s a big contributor. The problem is that it isn’t that easy. Also don’t see how Momberg has any potential at all, given she is slow, a terrible defender, and isn’t very big to make up for it. Where do you see the upside in that? Please, stop referring to what people say, and look at what they do.

Not true.

Lots of very good LG didn't play much as frosh. I previously provided stats o the current LG upperclassmen. For example, Jace Henderson averaged 1.1 per game as a frosh. She went on to have a great career.

You are the one yelling, and mostly yelling untrue things. Momberg is not slow and a bad defender. She is also a very hard worker. Used to go shoot at 5am every morning at Box Elder. She's terrific ball handler and passer. Also, it is just a fact that Petrino and other coaches liked her.

"On Monday, Momberg was named the MontanaSports.com MVP of the tournament, leading three Box Elder girls on the all-tournament teams. Momberg, a 5-foot-8 junior guard, averaged 20.7 points per game during the Bears’ run to the championship, but she also terrorized opposing offenses with her defense. Momberg averaged four steals per game as the Bears defeated Ekalaka, Savage and Roy-Winifred last weekend at Pacific Steel & Recycling Four Seasons Arena.

Momberg's coach, Joel Rosette, calls her a "gym rat who spends a lot of time in the gym working on her game. She has a quick release and strong ball handler and can score in a variety of ways."

Her Mead coach: “She’s a scorer and a shooter and she just is very unselfish,” Anderson said. “She’s a complete player and it’s really fun to watch.”

“She just lets the game come to her and that’s maturity and someone that just knows the game,” Anderson said. [Complete players also play defense.]

“(Kyla) threw some passes to our girls (Tuesday) and our girls are still adjusting to her, right? There are some passes that hit our girls in the stomach, and they’re like, ‘Oh my god,’ you know?”

I really don't know why you keep trashing Momberg, when you clearly know little about her. You must be a pretty weak excuse for a human.

PlayerRep said:
Not true.

Lots of very good LG didn't play much as frosh. I previously provided stats o the current LG upperclassmen. For example, Jace Henderson averaged 1.1 per game as a frosh. She went on to have a great career.

You are the one yelling, and mostly yelling untrue things. Momberg is not slow and a bad defender. She is also a very hard worker. Used to go shoot at 5am every morning at Box Elder. She's terrific ball handler and passer. Also, it is just a fact that Petrino and other coaches liked her.

"On Monday, Momberg was named the MontanaSports.com MVP of the tournament, leading three Box Elder girls on the all-tournament teams. Momberg, a 5-foot-8 junior guard, averaged 20.7 points per game during the Bears’ run to the championship, but she also terrorized opposing offenses with her defense. Momberg averaged four steals per game as the Bears defeated Ekalaka, Savage and Roy-Winifred last weekend at Pacific Steel & Recycling Four Seasons Arena.

Momberg's coach, Joel Rosette, calls her a "gym rat who spends a lot of time in the gym working on her game. She has a quick release and strong ball handler and can score in a variety of ways."

Her Mead coach: “She’s a scorer and a shooter and she just is very unselfish,” Anderson said. “She’s a complete player and it’s really fun to watch.”

“She just lets the game come to her and that’s maturity and someone that just knows the game,” Anderson said. [Complete players also play defense.]

“(Kyla) threw some passes to our girls (Tuesday) and our girls are still adjusting to her, right? There are some passes that hit our girls in the stomach, and they’re like, ‘Oh my god,’ you know?”

I really don't know why you keep trashing Momberg, when you clearly know little about her. You must be a pretty weak excuse for a human.
I’m not sure why you brought up defense in Box Elder playing total scrubs and expect it to hold any weight at the Division One level. And if you can’t see she’s slow, overall a sub par athlete, and a bit of a defensively liability, you are just kissing her ass. And what do you expect a teammate to say when asked that question? No she sucks? She’s a teammate, you don’t take those words as fact. You watch the games. Apparently you haven’t, or are just in denial. Once again, please stop bringing in words that teammates and coaches say. Those don’t mean shit. Simple fact is Momberg deservedly was cut, and there is nothing you can do about it. Can’t win with large sums of MT players anymore, regardless of how much you dislike it.
This is my last response to you, you are very obstinate despite having no statistical backing, and defending two players you seem to really like for whatever reason.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
Not true.

I’m not sure why you brought up defense in Box Elder playing total scrubs and expect it to hold any weight at the Division One level. And if you can’t see she’s slow, overall a sub par athlete, and a bit of a defensively liability, you are just kissing her ass. And what do you expect a teammate to say when asked that question? No she sucks? She’s a teammate, you don’t take those words as fact. You watch the games. Apparently you haven’t, or are just in denial. Once again, please stop bringing in words that teammates and coaches say. Those don’t mean shit. Simple fact is Momberg deservedly was cut, and there is nothing you can do about it. Can’t win with large sums of MT players anymore, regardless of how much you dislike it.
This is my last response to you, you are very obstinate despite having no statistical backing, and defending two players you seem to really like for whatever reason.

Are you prejudice against Native Americans? You sure seem to spend considerable time attacking two Native Americans. A number of things you are saying border on ignorance and racism.

Washgrizfan1 said:
UMFan12 said:

Are you prejudice against Native Americans? You sure seem to spend considerable time attacking two Native Americans. A number of things you are saying border on ignorance and racism.

Congrats, you are a fucking idiot. All of the women Holsinger cut deserved to be cut. Momberg wasn’t even the best or the bunch, yet PR defends her while not mentioning the better players who lost a roster spot as well. And all of a sudden you make it about race? What does cutting a player who showed no promise have to do with race? What does Battle having poor shot selection and not showing any discipline in the past have to do with race? Care to explain? Is Class C basketball not bad? Seriously, I’d love to hear you explain how any of this is about race, and not Momberg and Battles abilities as basketball players.

UMFan12 said:
Washgrizfan1 said:

Congrats, you are a f###[#] idiot. All of the women Holsinger cut deserved to be cut. Momberg wasn’t even the best or the bunch, yet PR defends her while not mentioning the better players who lost a roster spot as well. And all of a sudden you make it about race? What does cutting a player who showed no promise have to do with race? What does Battle having poor shot selection and not showing any discipline in the past have to do with race? Care to explain? Is Class C basketball not bad? Seriously, I’d love to hear you explain how any of this is about race, and not Momberg and Battles abilities as basketball players.

Goodness, goodness. It looks like one of your nerves was tweaked. I'm questioning some of the wording in your posts and your continued unfair and seemingly dishonest attacking of two Native Americans, neither of whom play or now play for Montana. I'm not suggesting anything racial regarding what the coach did. You need to tone down your posts, or stop making them.

Washgrizfan1 said:
UMFan12 said:
Congrats, you are a f###[#] idiot. All of the women Holsinger cut deserved to be cut. Momberg wasn’t even the best or the bunch, yet PR defends her while not mentioning the better players who lost a roster spot as well. And all of a sudden you make it about race? What does cutting a player who showed no promise have to do with race? What does Battle having poor shot selection and not showing any discipline in the past have to do with race? Care to explain? Is Class C basketball not bad? Seriously, I’d love to hear you explain how any of this is about race, and not Momberg and Battles abilities as basketball players.

Goodness, goodness. It looks like one of your nerves was tweaked. I'm questioning some of the wording in your posts and your continued unfair and seemingly dishonest attacking of two Native Americans, neither of whom play or now play for Montana. I'm not suggesting anything racial regarding what the coach did. You need to tone down your posts, or stop making them.
What language did I use that was in any way racist? One of them did play for Montana, and the other for MSU. I compared Battle to Satterwhite. Remember, this is a BASKETBALL forum talking about BASKETBALL players. For some reason PR seems to overrate the pair involved in this discussion and hate everything the new coach does, and doesn’t talk about the many other players Holsinger cut, just Momberg. That right there is what confuses me.

Washgrizfan1 said:
UMFan12 said:

UMFan12 you are very sassy bro haha

Washgrizfan1 said:
UMFan12 said:

You don't get to make that call, bro. I disagree with 12's take at times. He ain't diplomatic and has strong opinions re players, sure has hell isn't being racist in his critique of these two. I happen to think being farther away from home and out of the local spotlight could be positive for Battle, we'll find out. His opining that Momberg hasn't the size or athleticism to be a factor in D1 is shared by others and has nothing to do with race. Throwing out that card with no basis is common these days, it's still a shitty thing to do. Pretty sure the mod squad would take care of actual racist posting and no one here condones it.

Hoops,

"His opining that Momberg hasn't the size or athleticism to be a factor in D1 is shared by others and has nothing to do with race."

Momberg is 5'8". That's plenty tall for D-I hoops. Anyone who says that is too small, doesn't have a clue, in my view. Momberg actually has some athleticism. At Box Elder, they ran and pressed. She can get to the hoop with either hand and finish (often with kind of a girls' style sweeping layup). She is a very good ball handler and good passer. Is confident dribbling behind her back. Knows the game well. She was the best long-range shooter on the team, and has a quick release. Her defense is fine, especially for modern-day help defenses.

She is probably in a a bit of a tough position now, because she committed so early (Griz camp after her sophomore year) and thus didn't meet lots of coaches in the recruiting process. Now she has little college game tape and perhaps the stigma of being cut. The covid in-person visit limitation is in effect until June 1. While I don't know if this is true with her, a lot of reservation Native Americans prefer not to venture very far from home or their reservation, for college. While I don't know, I could see her staying in MT initially, and then hoping her strong play could get her a chance to move back to D-I. I'm curious as to how the Glendive girl got the quick offer from Chattanooga. Petrino told me he wold help Momberg, and I believe the 2 asst coaches not retained have already talked to her.

The Oregon frosh was probably seen by more coaches out there, and probably has more contacts,. I assume she will do fine,

I wonder what coach Nate will do.

PlayerRep said:
Hoops,

"His opining that Momberg hasn't the size or athleticism to be a factor in D1 is shared by others and has nothing to do with race."

Momberg is 5'8". That's plenty tall for D-I hoops. Anyone who says that is too small, doesn't have a clue, in my view. Momberg actually has some athleticism. At Box Elder, they ran and pressed. She can get to the hoop with either hand and finish (often with kind of a girls' style sweeping layup). She is a very good ball handler and good passer. Is confident dribbling behind her back. Knows the game well. She was the best long-range shooter on the team, and has a quick release. Her defense is fine, especially for modern-day help defenses.

She is probably in a a bit of a tough position now, because she committed so early (Griz camp after her sophomore year) and thus didn't meet lots of coaches in the recruiting process. Now she has little college game tape and perhaps the stigma of being cut. The covid in-person visit limitation is in effect until June 1. While I don't know if this is true with her, a lot of reservation Native Americans prefer not to venture very far from home or their reservation, for college. While I don't know, I could see her staying in MT initially, and then hoping her strong play could get her a chance to move back to D-I. I'm curious as to how the Glendive girl got the quick offer from Chattanooga. Petrino told me he wold help Momberg, and I believe the 2 asst coaches not retained have already talked to her.

The Oregon frosh was probably seen by more coaches out there, and probably has more contacts,. I assume she will do fine,

The goal of the “modern day help defense” is to help as little as possible. Help forces rotations which is where you get beat. If one player is the one needing help more than others, they are a liability. You can’t just say that it’s fine because they get help. That’s where the “dunker spot” comes into play. If she forces a big to rotate and help, either the dunker spot is open or someone on the perimeter is. It is extremely hard to rotate towards the dunker spot and not throw off any following rotations. The “modern help defense” is meant to help off of traps, ball screens, and is mainly focused around the roll man in PnR. It is not a defense meant to allow people to get beat off the dribble as Momberg does. What a terrible excuse.
The point of saying she isn’t athletic or tall is that she becomes a bit of a “tweener”. Not tall or strong enough to be a wing, not quick enough to be a guard and defend other guards. I’m sure she will fair just fine perhaps at a lower level D-1 or at a Montana NAIA school. But for the level Griz fans expect and desire, she won’t cut it.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
Hoops,

The goal of the “modern day help defense” is to help as little as possible. Help forces rotations which is where you get beat. If one player is the one needing help more than others, they are a liability. You can’t just say that it’s fine because they get help. That’s where the “dunker spot” comes into play. If she forces a big to rotate and help, either the dunker spot is open or someone on the perimeter is. It is extremely hard to rotate towards the dunker spot and not throw off any following rotations. The “modern help defense” is meant to help off of traps, ball screens, and is mainly focused around the roll man in PnR. It is not a defense meant to allow people to get beat off the dribble as Momberg does. What a terrible excuse.
The point of saying she isn’t athletic or tall is that she becomes a bit of a “tweener”. Not tall or strong enough to be a wing, not quick enough to be a guard and defend other guards. I’m sure she will fair just fine perhaps at a lower level D-1 or at a Montana NAIA school. But for the level Griz fans expect and desire, she won’t cut it.

I got my info on Momberg from several of her coaches. Help defense is a fact; it's different from the defenses of old. I suppose you thought Mike Warhank was too small and slow, and bad at defense, to be a D-I player. I think it's funny that you think you know more than college coaches, including Sprinkle. That is a dead give away that you don't know what you're talking about. I still think you are prejudice against Native Americans is showing through. Ignorance and bias. It creeps out of some of your posts. Consistently going after 2 Native Americans, and sometimes just making up stuff about them, especially the Cat.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

I got my info on Momberg from several of her coaches. Help defense is a fact; it's different from the defenses of old. I suppose you thought Mike Warhank was too small and slow, and bad at defense, to be a D-I player. I think it's funny that you think you know more than college coaches, including Sprinkle. That is a dead give away that you don't know what you're talking about. I still think you are prejudice against Native Americans is showing through. Ignorance and bias. It creeps out of some of your posts. Consistently going after 2 Native Americans, and sometimes just making up stuff about them, especially the Cat.
Did you even read what I just said or are you just dancing around it?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:
[*]

I don't know the ranch, but I met the owner Buck Anderson a few times years ago. He was on the Bridger Bowl Ski Area board with my uncle.

The whole area has (or is) changing ownership. Hell, the Bozeangeles airport in Belgrade is now Montana's busiest airport and I keep waiting for the filthy rich bastards to tire of the drive up the canyon and do like they did in Jackson, Wyoming with their airport. Ennis is only 15 miles from Lone Peak. Who the hell cares at this point in life? Even Horace Morgan's kids are turning his ranch into a damn dude ranch like Buck had or the 320 up the canyon.

Great book out right now by some Wyoming kid who teaches at one of the schools in the conference you got your bachelors from that basically states the billionaires are pushing the millionaires out of Jackson and Jackson Hole and they're going over into the Big Horn Basin and the area around Sheridan, Story and Buffalo.

Christ, the transplants in the Gallatin are even driving all the way over to Fort Peck just to catch walleye and smallmouth. Poplar is now nicer and a hell of a lot cleaner than Polson or Bigfork were when we were kids, not to mention what Columbia Falls was. (Mr. Ruis has transformed that town all by himself and his bank account dwarfs the majority of the Whitefish 'rich' transplants. He's a high school dropout, and proud of his pedigree...ha!).

The ranch is already under contract. Summer closing. "The property, known as the Climbing Arrow Ranch, sold for around its $136.25 million asking price following a bidding war, according to two other people familiar with the deal."
Wall St Journal.

PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
The whole area has (or is) changing ownership. Hell, the Bozeangeles airport in Belgrade is now Montana's busiest airport and I keep waiting for the filthy rich bastards to tire of the drive up the canyon and do like they did in Jackson, Wyoming with their airport. Ennis is only 15 miles from Lone Peak. Who the hell cares at this point in life? Even Horace Morgan's kids are turning his ranch into a damn dude ranch like Buck had or the 320 up the canyon.

Great book out right now by some Wyoming kid who teaches at one of the schools in the conference you got your bachelors from that basically states the billionaires are pushing the millionaires out of Jackson and Jackson Hole and they're going over into the Big Horn Basin and the area around Sheridan, Story and Buffalo.

Christ, the transplants in the Gallatin are even driving all the way over to Fort Peck just to catch walleye and smallmouth. Poplar is now nicer and a hell of a lot cleaner than Polson or Bigfork were when we were kids, not to mention what Columbia Falls was. (Mr. Ruis has transformed that town all by himself and his bank account dwarfs the majority of the Whitefish 'rich' transplants. He's a high school dropout, and proud of his pedigree...ha!).

The ranch is already under contract. Summer closing. "The property, known as the Climbing Arrow Ranch, sold for around its $136.25 million asking price following a bidding war, according to two other people familiar with the deal."
Wall St Journal.

Never saw that. Thanks. I can't help but wonder what this means for Bridger Bowl. I suppose Timothy goes home and takes Cold Smoke home with him? A decent ski area close to Missoula would do to that part of the state what Big Sky did to Gallatin County.

Back