• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: 3-1

BWahlberg

DONOR
Before diving into some of the thoughts on this game itself, lets first look at the big picture. Realistically the best outcome from the OOC schedule was a 3-1 record, and that's where the Griz are. There was a lot of talk that the Griz could really be 1-3 or 2-2 at this point, but they're not. Yes I know that clearly these OOC teams booked appear to not be as good as thought in the pre-season, but the Griz have done what they needed to and are now on to conference play.

As for the game itself, it had some big moments and great plays, it was also sloppy and concerning at times too. I was hoping for a game where the Griz lock it in, instead we saw a suggestion that some points of needed improvement simply aren't happening yet.

My general takeaways:

- As another thread suggests, Marcus Knight is good and clearly RB1. His one run where he bounced off a defender and kept his balance to extend the run is something almost unseen. His pass protection is getting better, and his cuts and decision making seems to be improving too. We have our guy, and he's shining as the starter. Almost 150 rushing and a score today.

- Dalton Sneed keeps showing us what he brings as the starter, his passing game and pass numbers are through the roof, 334 yards and 4 TDs today is just another banner day for the guy passing. His one pick was a tough break, a high bounce off a deflection. His lost fumble was an issue, needed to slide and avoid that full on hit. I know he's a guy that plays at 100% all the time but sometimes being smarter with the ball will not end drives in a turnover. Sneed did that far too much last season, it's really reduced this year so far, but did spring up today. One thing I will say, while he was 30-40 passing, I think 4 or 5 of those incomplete passes were straight up drops. He was on target today. Dalton hit 8 different targets today and looking at the stats he had 3 or more completions to every target except Knight who caught just 1 pass.

- Its probably time to start getting worried about the pass rush. I don't know if the pass defense, the safeties and corners, are overmatched per se, but I think they've having a hell of a time covering as the DL is not getting pressure, and even heavy blitzes are not delivering pressure effectively - or at least it didn't today. The Grizzly pass defense has given up an average of 325 passing yards per game after 4 games and still have to face UCD, EWU, and other strong pass attack teams. This has become one of my largest concerns of this team going forward.

- Awesome design, blocks, and speed on the kick return TD. Flowers is a unique talent and he showed off what he can do with space. Hope there's more to come for him this year. The threat of Flowers and JLM really changed how MU handled kicking the ball.

- I tweeted about it during the game but did anyone else notice Mo Mallory, #77 on the OL? Getting a start today (with Cook as well) this guy was driving the Monmouth DL crazy. He would intentionally find a guy to lay on if he couldn't do it to his own guy he was blocking. He would lay on the dude and put his hands up in the air and slowly attempt to stand up. It was something else, haha. I think Mallory got to rub his belly on almost every defender that was on the field for Monmouth.

- A few injuries of concern, Villanueva looked ok post game, left the field twice with injuries. Braydon Deming appeared to have some sort of arm injury and didn't return.

- Dante Olson once again was a wrecking ball out there. 13 tackles, 2.5 TFLs, 1 sack. Looking at the stats he had 3 tackles that stopped a drive, two forced a punt, one forced a turnover on downs.

- One of those "stats don't tell the whole story" takeaways from the box score. The Griz were 7-11 on 3rd down offensively. Monmouth was just 4-16, however they were also 3-4 on 4th down.

- Hell of a day for the Grizzly TD corps, 4 receiving TDs for Bingham and Deming. Colin Bingham is such a force, when he has the ball and is barreling down the field he's a tough dude to bring down.

- Mitch Roberts showing some hint of what we've got in store in the years ahead. This guy has been one of the fastest risers of the WR corps, you can see why the staff simply can't keep the kid off the field.

- Far too many PI or holding calls on the defensive secondary today. I know some were ticky-tack but come on guys, we're headed into Big Sky play, it's going to be called even more most likely. Hell of a recovery by Nash to effectively end the game with his pick.

- Concerning misses on PATs, again today was a game that felt a lot of play was a little off/sloppy and this was no exception.

---------------------

Alright, we're on to Davis which promises to be a massive test on the road - where the Griz will be underdogs. There's going to be a lot to clean up from this film I'd bet, but also some good stuff to build off of.

Go Griz!

Agree on the concern over lack of pressure on the quarterback. D backs are going to have some tough games in the Big Sky if the pass rush doesn't improve.

BWahlberg said:
Before diving into some of the thoughts on this game itself, lets first look at the big picture. Realistically the best outcome from the OOC schedule was a 3-1 record, and that's where the Griz are. There was a lot of talk that the Griz could really be 1-3 or 2-2 at this point, but they're not. Yes I know that clearly these OOC teams booked appear to not be as good as thought in the pre-season, but the Griz have done what they needed to and are now on to conference play.

As for the game itself, it had some big moments and great plays, it was also sloppy and concerning at times too. I was hoping for a game where the Griz lock it in, instead we saw a suggestion that some points of needed improvement simply aren't happening yet.

My general takeaways:

- As another thread suggests, Marcus Knight is good and clearly RB1. His one run where he bounced off a defender and kept his balance to extend the run is something almost unseen. His pass protection is getting better, and his cuts and decision making seems to be improving too. We have our guy, and he's shining as the starter. Almost 150 rushing and a score today.

- Dalton Sneed keeps showing us what he brings as the starter, his passing game and pass numbers are through the roof, 334 yards and 4 TDs today is just another banner day for the guy passing. His one pick was a tough break, a high bounce off a deflection. His lost fumble was an issue, needed to slide and avoid that full on hit. I know he's a guy that plays at 100% all the time but sometimes being smarter with the ball will not end drives in a turnover. Sneed did that far too much last season, it's really reduced this year so far, but did spring up today. One thing I will say, while he was 30-40 passing, I think 4 or 5 of those incomplete passes were straight up drops. He was on target today. Dalton hit 8 different targets today and looking at the stats he had 3 or more completions to every target except Knight who caught just 1 pass.

- Its probably time to start getting worried about the pass rush. I don't know if the pass defense, the safeties and corners, are overmatched per se, but I think they've having a hell of a time covering as the DL is not getting pressure, and even heavy blitzes are not delivering pressure effectively - or at least it didn't today. The Grizzly pass defense has given up an average of 325 passing yards per game after 4 games and still have to face UCD, EWU, and other strong pass attack teams. This has become one of my largest concerns of this team going forward.

- Awesome design, blocks, and speed on the kick return TD. Flowers is a unique talent and he showed off what he can do with space. Hope there's more to come for him this year. The threat of Flowers and JLM really changed how MU handled kicking the ball.

- I tweeted about it during the game but did anyone else notice Mo Mallory, #77 on the OL? Getting a start today (with Cook as well) this guy was driving the Monmouth DL crazy. He would intentionally find a guy to lay on if he couldn't do it to his own guy he was blocking. He would lay on the dude and put his hands up in the air and slowly attempt to stand up. It was something else, haha. I think Mallory got to rub his belly on almost every defender that was on the field for Monmouth.

- A few injuries of concern, Villanueva looked ok post game, left the field twice with injuries. Braydon Deming appeared to have some sort of arm injury and didn't return.

- Dante Olson once again was a wrecking ball out there. 13 tackles, 2.5 TFLs, 1 sack. Looking at the stats he had 3 tackles that stopped a drive, two forced a punt, one forced a turnover on downs.

- One of those "stats don't tell the whole story" takeaways from the box score. The Griz were 7-11 on 3rd down offensively. Monmouth was just 4-16, however they were also 3-4 on 4th down.

- Hell of a day for the Grizzly TD corps, 4 receiving TDs for Bingham and Deming. Colin Bingham is such a force, when he has the ball and is barreling down the field he's a tough dude to bring down.

- Mitch Roberts showing some hint of what we've got in store in the years ahead. This guy has been one of the fastest risers of the WR corps, you can see why the staff simply can't keep the kid off the field.

- Far too many PI or holding calls on the defensive secondary today. I know some were ticky-tack but come on guys, we're headed into Big Sky play, it's going to be called even more most likely. Hell of a recovery by Nash to effectively end the game with his pick.

- Concerning misses on PATs, again today was a game that felt a lot of play was a little off/sloppy and this was no exception.

---------------------

Alright, we're on to Davis which promises to be a massive test on the road - where the Griz will be underdogs. There's going to be a lot to clean up from this film I'd bet, but also some good stuff to build off of.

Go Griz!

I understand the concern with the d-line pressure, but feel that the Griz were trying to stop the run and be gap sound. After watching this quarterback today, I feel like he will probably be as good as any we face the rest of the year. Very heady, pretty much constantly got them into the right play, very good arm, extended some plays. I know we have a two or three left on the schedule that will be a handful. I don't like all of the pass yards either, but if I had a choice, I'd rather take away the run and give up a little extra pass yards than let them run it down our throat. This team was a very good running team that we shut down.

My only big complaint: why the hell doesn't Sneed just take that swing to Knight? It was called and he checked off it like three times when it would have definitely gotten us a first down, and his other choice didn’t work out one time. Pretty sure he had several third downs where he forced a pass to JLM where he was blasted, threw a pick that Akem couldn’t handle, and threw another incomplete. That pass was there all game, and he hardly took it at all.

As I said, my only big complaint about this game.

Great write up. Kicking game definitely took a step back today. Hope we can get some guys that are dinged up healthy for the aggies next weekend

Thanks and Great post BW, as always. UM will need to play "mistake-free" and dominate TOP to compete at Davis next week. Your point is accurate, UM will need to generate a strong pass rush with 3-4-5 guys. Can't send 6 every play. Loved the new DOLA and Knight rushing game. :clap:

BWahlberg said:
look at the big picture. Realistically the best outcome from the OOC schedule was a 3-1 record, and that's where the Griz are. There was a lot of talk that the Griz could really be 1-3 or 2-2 at this point, but they're not.

My general takeaways:

- As another thread suggests, Marcus Knight is good and clearly RB1. Almost 150 rushing and a score today.
- Dalton Sneed His lost fumble was an issue, needed to slide and avoid that full on hit. I know he's a guy that plays at 100% all the time but sometimes being smarter with the ball will not end drives in a turnover.
---------------------

Go Griz!

uofmman1122 said:
My only big complaint: why the hell doesn't Sneed just take that swing to Knight? It was called and he checked off it like three times when it would have definitely gotten us a first down, and his other choice didn’t work out one time. Pretty sure he had several third downs where he forced a pass to JLM where he was blasted, threw a pick that Akem couldn’t handle, and threw another incomplete. That pass was there all game, and he hardly took it at all.

As I said, my only big complaint about this game.

I saw the same thing. Knight not being picked up coming out of the backfield and Sneed never looked at him.
One other negative comment on Sneed, please just slide from now on!
I love the way Sneed plays, we need him healthy!
We have A lot going right on this team. We are definitely a better team than we were last year. The time is now upon us to see how much better we are.
Go Griz!

Go Griz!
[/quote]

I agree with you for the most part , but the Monmouth QB was very good .
Quick reads and when he decided to throw the ball it was out quick .
One of the better QBs will see this year .

I like the strategy of making a running team beat you by passing (and vice-versa). Clearly MU has had most of their success running this year so the Griz shutting down the run game and taking their lumps with passes was brilliant in my opinion. It is especially difficult to stay with the strategy when your opponent actually has success doing what they haven't done much of previously so kudos to the Griz D staff for sticking with it. It takes guts. More often than not, taking a team out of their comfort zone will pay off even if the results aren't as stunning as you might hope.

Grisly Fan said:
I like the strategy of making a running team beat you by passing (and vice-versa). Clearly MU has had most of their success running this year so the Griz shutting down the run game and taking their lumps with passes was brilliant in my opinion. It is especially difficult to stay with the strategy when your opponent actually has success doing what they haven't done much of previously so kudos to the Griz D staff for sticking with it. It takes guts. More often than not, taking a team out of their comfort zone will pay off even if the results aren't as stunning as you might hope.

While Monmouth does their best running the ball they're very much a balanced team with an experienced QB and better-ish WRs. I've read from others and saying the team sold out to stop the run and thus gave up a lot of passing yards but I think that's a bit of an overly simple generalization of what happened. In the 2nd half the Griz were trying all sorts of looks to try to disrupt the passing game. Zone while rushing 3 or 4, man coverage, pressing at the line, blitzing both LBs, blitzing a safety... and still couldn't regularly disrupt the QB. Two weeks ago against UNA they were able to do that, adjust at the half and stop the pass attack. Yesterday, didn't happen as well.

If anyone has the time, has there been a game where Dalton Sneed hasn't had a turnover? I feel like he causes at least 2 turnovers a game. It's going to eventually cost us a couple or few games. He needs to clean it up, quickly! I was hoping this year he'd be a bit more careful. I also noticed he throws into some tight coverage to certain players even when there's some guys wide open with daylight for days. Imo if he doesn't get this figured out it might cost us the playoffs or get throttled come playoff time.

Also not impressed with our d line. We need to get pressure on the QB without the help of our LBers!! Sims and Gubner are pretty good but both need to be more consistent and we need some other guys step up. Need to kick it in 2nd gear and force some damn pressure! I'd be making the whole d line run the M for every poor performance! Which is every game this year! Step it up D line and clean it up Sneed and we are a National contender! We should not be allowing QBs to scan the whole damn field without blitzing!

Better yet make whole team run up to the M so the whole team also holds the D line accountable for their lackluster performances!

I didn’t read everything above, but I was more impressed with Behar than I was unimpressed by our d-line. I had Shoota flashbacks watching our guys chase Behar. I posted it elsewhere, but I thought it was odd to bring delayed blitzes when the guy was elusive enough to avoid it and was killing us underneath.

On a positive note I love the way Marcus Knught runs! Does not want to go down for anyone! He's a shifty, slippery, fighter, and has a ton of heart! Very impressed with him and glad we have him. Biggest pick up in the off season for sure. O Line also seems to be greatly improved and hope they keep improving. Our WRs well we all know that position is stacked with depth for years. Same for the LBers. CBs are okay would be better if d line provided pressure. Sandry is also a baller. I want to see that dude always on the field. I feel like he's not out there as muc hmm as he should be. By far our best safety and it's not even close. Was also extremely impressed with O'Connell. LBer legacy continues!

I think we need to understand the D set up before we get after the lack of D-line pressure. Nobody gets pressure out of a 3 man front. One of the top 5 all-time d-ends in NFL history; Lee-Roy Selmon used to get like 4 sacks a year and then 3 in a half at the Pro-Bowl (back when the Pro-Bowl was kind of a game and not just....well). The reason was math 3 v 5. We usually have a hybrid (Rice, O'Connell, etc) who comes about 2/3 of the time but often has spy/flat reads, notice Rice handled a first half play off this and Vika blew up a screen in the 2nd half. Most of the great DE we all wish we had (Kroy, Wags, Holmes) rushed out of a 4 front where they had no inside responsibilities so they could set wide and just out quick the OT. This D is about discipline and humility (if that word works), maintain gap control, eat blocks and watch Dante and Robbie and Gavin get the stats. Add to that our rush ends tend to be light, young or some combination of the two.

CDAGRIZ said:
I didn’t read everything above, but I was more impressed with Behar than I was unimpressed by our d-line. I had Shoota flashbacks watching our guys chase Behar. I posted it elsewhere, but I thought it was odd to bring delayed blitzes when the guy was elusive enough to avoid it and was killing us underneath.

This. The guy is on the Peyton Award watch list...he's very good.

Good post Sask, and I think we all agree / understand this defense is structured differently. Nevertheless, they had better get some really good pressure on UCD's quarterback Jake Maier (or he will pick them apart like a surgeon). Maier will not be fooled/confused very often, so UM will have to rush him into his decision/throws.

SaskGriz said:
I think we need to understand the D set up before we get after the lack of D-line pressure. Nobody gets pressure out of a 3 man front. The reason was math 3 v 5. This D is about discipline and humility (if that word works), maintain gap control, eat blocks and watch Dante and Robbie and Gavin get the stats. Add to that our rush ends tend to be light, young or some combination of the two.

Proud Griz Man said:
Good post Sask, and I think we all agree / understand this defense is structured differently. Nevertheless, they had better get some really good pressure on UCD's quarterback Jake Maier (or he will pick them apart like a surgeon). Maier will not be fooled/confused very often, so UM will have to rush him into his decision/throws.

SaskGriz said:
I think we need to understand the D set up before we get after the lack of D-line pressure. Nobody gets pressure out of a 3 man front. The reason was math 3 v 5. This D is about discipline and humility (if that word works), maintain gap control, eat blocks and watch Dante and Robbie and Gavin get the stats. Add to that our rush ends tend to be light, young or some combination of the two.

100% agree, just saying our pressure comes out of scheme or "games" rather than formation. We can't just "pin our ears back and go".

Latest posts

Back