• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Winning fairly?

2011BisonAlumni said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
ORGUNGRIZ said:
I have wondered the same in recent years. What sort of academic standards does NDSU have? I don’t know so I was asking. I have heard people indicate Bama has lower academic standards which might allow talent without the book smarts.

I would think that oil money out of North Dakota aids all schools in the Dakotas. Maybe booster help offset coaching salaries etc???

I think NDSU is keeping it above board. I believe they have the money to pay for what they need and do so making sure they don’t get in hot water with the NCAA.

Don’t get me wrong I am not bagging on NDSU and commend them for all they have accomplished.

I am one that believes having a college football program doing well is beneficial for the community and to some extent the state that it’s in. I for one hope Bobby can turn things around nd at UM to get back to those prosperous day. Not only for UM, but for Missoula, Montana, Griz fans and for the BSC and FCS.

Just did a quick search and I see UM has a 92.7% acceptance rate, Bozeman 83.83%, UND 86%, SDSU 92%, USD 88.8%.

In comparison NDSU is 82.7%.

NDSU requires a 22 on the ACT to get in. Montana a 22 ACT or 2.50 high school GPA.

For the hell of it I looked at Bama. They require a 21 ACT score to get in and a 3.0 high school GPA.

Certainly doesn’t seem much different than any of the similar institutions around it.

Haven’t looked lately but I know when Wentz was a senior, 65 guys on the football team were on the honor roll that spring, so they had at least a 3.0 GPA. Would say absolutely they are doing it the right way and certainly when it comes to academics.

Who is your strength and conditioning coach? I've read quite a bit about Wentz and the amount of time he dedicates to working out and studying in the film room. That comes from a winning environment and stability. Senior leadership separates the championship programs from internal squabbling that will fracture and destroy a team, especially if the coaches play kids their teammates know don't belong on the field ahead of better athletes. Your kids, by and large, are earning their way onto the field next fall in your weight rooms at 4:30 to 5:00 in the morning while the "other" programs kids are still out raising hell showing up on police blotters. That eastern Montana, North Dakota mindset of "Nothing good happens after midnight unless you're getting up to go to work" still rings true.

Look at the team GPA. Those grades didn't just magically appear. This coaching staff being assembled understands how hard it is to get to the top and remain there. Change is inevitable and I believe the new university president here will serve as a good role model as to what it takes to get to the top. A hell of a lot of work and sleepless nights working on preparation instead of acting like regular college students.

They call him the Bulldog. All I’ve heard about him is he is the most intense guy you could meet and psychologically is a genius. Doesn’t allow players to wear championship gear or anything that has their name on the back. Every year you go in like a team that hasn’t won a game and every player is a redshirt freshmen in his eyes.

Is he the one who will be doing most of the rehab for Wentz? Is he strictly football or do your nonrevenue sports get access to him?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
ORGUNGRIZ said:
I have wondered the same in recent years. What sort of academic standards does NDSU have? I don’t know so I was asking. I have heard people indicate Bama has lower academic standards which might allow talent without the book smarts.

I would think that oil money out of North Dakota aids all schools in the Dakotas. Maybe booster help offset coaching salaries etc???

I think NDSU is keeping it above board. I believe they have the money to pay for what they need and do so making sure they don’t get in hot water with the NCAA.

Don’t get me wrong I am not bagging on NDSU and commend them for all they have accomplished.

I am one that believes having a college football program doing well is beneficial for the community and to some extent the state that it’s in. I for one hope Bobby can turn things around nd at UM to get back to those prosperous day. Not only for UM, but for Missoula, Montana, Griz fans and for the BSC and FCS.

Just did a quick search and I see UM has a 92.7% acceptance rate, Bozeman 83.83%, UND 86%, SDSU 92%, USD 88.8%.

NDSU requires a 22 on the ACT to get in. Montana a 22 ACT or 2.50 high school GPA.

For the hell of it I looked at Bama. They require a 21 ACT score to get in and a 3.0 high school GPA.

Certainly doesn’t seem much different than any of the similar institutions around it.

Haven’t looked lately but I know when Wentz was a senior, 65 guys on the football team were on the honor roll that spring, so they had at least a 3.0 GPA. Would say absolutely they are doing it the right way and certainly when it comes to academics.

That eastern Montana, North Dakota mindset of "Nothing good happens after midnight unless you're getting up to go to work" still rings true.

Totally. It's a far cry from that Western Montana mindset of cussing and peeing in the shower. Don't even get me started on that Northern Montana mindset of going to the express checkout lane with over 15 items.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
ORGUNGRIZ said:

That eastern Montana, North Dakota mindset of "Nothing good happens after midnight unless you're getting up to go to work" still rings true.

Totally. It's a far cry from that Western Montana mindset of cussing and peeing in the shower. Don't even get me started on that Northern Montana mindset of going to the express checkout lane with over 15 items.

I didn't get you started. Tell me your thoughts and "feelings" about those who choose to go through the express line with more than their maximum suggested numbers in grocery stores, Wally World and other supposedly helpful lines...have you ever gone through an express line with a case of beer? It pisses me off! That's 24 cans-a clear violation of the speed lane! It's as bad as college students graduating and moving to places like Portland and putting their college sweetheart in the passenger seat so they can drive in the express lane! Don't get me started on the hicks from out here moving to the cities and taking their damn blow up dolls with them to Portland after college...geezzz...as bad as all the people from EweTaaahhhaaa having their sheep in the front seat with them dressed like dogs...

I put this question to Lance Trenary, the President and CEO of the Golden Corral chain. His position is that while the ndsuers may play within the general rules on the field, he firmly believes they use unfair tactics in his restaurants.

fuck NDSU and that shit tundra. In North Dakota the restaurants are the scenery and the local hangout spots. Like wtf do they do for fun there? Let's go drill some oil boys woohooo!!

Bison/Bama envy rules....

Pining for the days when we ruled the roost.

Thinking it will take time, patience but in the era of BH II we will reach the promised land!

jcu27 said:
f*** NDSU and that shit tundra. In North Dakota the restaurants are the scenery and the local hangout spots. Like wtf do they do for fun there? Let's go drill some oil boys woohooo!!

Hunt. Fish. A little over 200 miles from the Twin Cities. Not too far from the really good Canuck hunting and fishing...and earn decent wages.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
jcu27 said:
f*** NDSU and that shit tundra. In North Dakota the restaurants are the scenery and the local hangout spots. Like wtf do they do for fun there? Let's go drill some oil boys woohooo!!

Hunt. Fish. A little over 200 miles from the Twin Cities. Not too far from the really good Canuck hunting and fishing...and earn decent wages.

Scavenger hunt for trees???? fuck yeah! Go fishing for some biscuits in gravy? fuck yeah! lets do this!

jcu27 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
jcu27 said:

Scavenger hunt for trees???? fuck yeah! Go fishing for some biscuits in gravy? fuck yeah! lets do this!

You clearly don't have that Eastern Montana North Dakota mindset of "nothing good happens after midnight, or before midnight, or ever, so let's go to bed."

jcu27 said:

Grew up on the Missouri. Other than high school sports, primarily spent time fishing or bird hunting. Got into steamer fishing bigtime during high school, so chasing big browns below Garrison dam was fun.

2011BisonAlumni said:
jcu27 said:

Grew up on the Missouri. Other than high school sports, primarily spent time fishing or bird hunting. Got into steamer fishing bigtime during high school, so chasing big browns below Garrison dam was fun.

Didn't realize steamers were navigable on the Missouri anymore.

2011BisonAlumni said:
jcu27 said:

Have a friend who just moved from Hamilton back to Garrison to get away from the Bitterroot and they'd lived here over 25 years. Not many places to get away from the mob of people left out here. The Hyde and neoprene hatch is probably going to turn the Madison into a permit system like the Smith.

I agree, the premiss of this thread that either are "cheating" is somewhat bogus. It could have been stated different. Like, "How do we match the recruiting ability of NDSU and Bama?" because that is basically why they are where they are. Saban has 5 stars coming out of his ass because everyone wants to go there. I mean shit...he pulled a 5 star Fr QB off the bench to win the NC.

I just looked at the Hero Sports FCS 2017 class rankings, which.....I'm not sure how they figure that because they aren't even done yet, but....... Harvard is #1, JMU is 2nd and NDSU is 3rd. Montana is 13th. Not bad for us. Among NDSU's signees is a 337# OT and a 294# OG plus a hotshot QB from Florida, none of which will even smell the field this next year because of their last three classes. Success breeds success. We need to beat them...again.

daGrizJ said:
I agree, the premiss of this thread that either are "cheating" is somewhat bogus. It could have been stated different. Like, "How do we match the recruiting ability of NDSU and Bama?" because that is basically why they are where they are. Saban has 5 stars coming out of his ass because everyone wants to go there. I mean shit...he pulled a 5 star Fr QB off the bench to win the NC.

I just looked at the Hero Sports FCS 2017 class rankings, which.....I'm not sure how they figure that because they aren't even done yet, but....... Harvard is #1, JMU is 2nd and NDSU is 3rd. Montana is 13th. Not bad for us. Among NDSU's signees is a 337# OT and a 294# OG plus a hotshot QB from Florida, none of which will even smell the field this next year because of their last three classes. Success breeds success. We need to beat them...again.

Calipari said something to the effect when a Big 10 coach accused him of cheating "I don't need to cheat. All I have to do is tell them who I am and would like them to play for Kentucky and they will commit."

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
daGrizJ said:

Calipari said something to the effect when a Big 10 coach accused him of cheating "I don't need to cheat. All I have to do is tell them who I am and would like them to play for Kentucky and they will commit."

100%. When I think "clean program", I think Calipari.

You need only look at the Griz of the past to know how NDSU is doing it. Simply tough, smash mouth football that beats you down for 4 qts. Big dudes on the line, fast and tough guys that are around the ball on offense and a special teams that is well, special. Swagger, yes I know that word has been kicked and beat up, but its a legit frame of mined. The Griz, just like NDSU is now goes into a game knowing they are going to win.
We will get there again, like Bobby said, how long that takes is unknown.

People under estimate how huge of a launching pad Minnesota hiring that moron that refused to recruit mid western kids was. They took the opportunity and have been running with it sense. They loaded up the recruiting coffers while he was there, and havent looked back sense.

Just imagine what it would do to Grizzly football recruiting if say a new coach came into Washington or Boise State and said we are not recruiting the Pacific Northwest anymore, were only going after Cali, Florida, and Texas kids.

Thats essentially what happened for the Bison.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
People under estimate how huge of a launching pad Minnesota hiring that moron that refused to recruit mid western kids was. They took the opportunity and have been running with it sense. They loaded up the recruiting coffers while he was there, and havent looked back sense.

Just imagine what it would do to Grizzly football recruiting if say a new coach came into Washington or Boise State and said we are not recruiting the Pacific Northwest anymore, were only going after Cali, Florida, and Texas kids.

Thats essentially what happened for the Bison.

This. The Bison landed FCS talent when DII and FBS talent once FCS, especially in the trenches. Our o-line guys do not look like theirs. They are bigger and faster, and wear down everyone they play. Does anyone remember what "one loss in two years with two D-II championships" Earle Solomonson did at MSU? He sucked because he couldn't out-recruit his competitors like he could at NDSU. Getting a great coach from Frank Solich's NU staff made a huge difference in this area. Like the Griz, they have players in the NFL so can market that to FBS talent and a good chance at playing on a championship team every year. If they joined the Big Ten next year they would not be the bottom team.

MTOutsider said:
I am curious if any of you on here visit the NDSU forum and if there have been 387 threads about moving up?

Lol you are the first to mention it in this thread!! :thumb:

Back