• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Week 1: Montana vs Valpo Game Thread

Who wins this game?

• Montana (0-0)

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Valparaiso (0-0)

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Bobcats Suck

Votes: 46 78.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
Holy shit this thread delivers. People ready to write off the season midway through the first f***[*] quarter of the first f***[*] game. How does four TD's in six offensive plays taste? You chicken littles will never be happy, I swear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on the flip side, if you use the logic of many analyses of the game, bw's, for instance, you can 'take away' those four tds in six plays, and start from there. oi.

Yep. But at the end of the day, we beat them by 22. I wonder how much would have been enough for some of the shitstain complainers on this board? 30? 40? 50?

AZ, for me, it was not exactly the score that raised flags. I still see big issues with the OL, the defense as a whole, and ST coverage. Personally, I think Valpo is only better than 1 team the Griz played last season.

Agreed there's things to clean up. There's always things to clean up. I think that Valpo team beats ISU, Sac St, UC-Davis & maybe even CP the way they're playing currently.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
on the flip side, if you use the logic of many analyses of the game, bw's, for instance, you can 'take away' those four tds in six plays, and start from there. oi.

Yep. But at the end of the day, we beat them by 22. I wonder how much would have been enough for some of the shitstain complainers on this board? 30? 40? 50?

AZ, for me, it was not exactly the score that raised flags. I still see big issues with the OL, the defense as a whole, and ST coverage. Personally, I think Valpo is only better than 1 team the Griz played last season.

Agreed there's things to clean up. There's always things to clean up. I think that Valpo team beats ISU, Sac St, UC-Davis & maybe even CP the way they're playing currently.

I guess we agree to disagree on the quality of Valpo.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

I'll have a better feel when I get back home and have a chance to watch the game. What I did see still seemed like we are progressing in fits and starts....

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I'll have a better feel when I get back home and have a chance to watch the game. What I did see still seemed like we are progressing in fits and starts....

I saw nothing yesterday to make be revise my initial prediction of 6-5 this season.

Congratulations Reese Phillips, wow, you looked pretty dang good today...threw some beauties! That was the best he's ever looked with the "Lights On". I feel good with him going forward, he can sling it.

Great job by the Punter Purdy!!!

UM's defensive weakness is when teams go vertical against Sandry.

Sandry is very fast. When he learns to not bite so hard on the run, because he also loves to hit, and puts his addiction to pick-sixing flat routes into perspective, he should be able to stay with any WR in the BSC.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Congratulations Reese Phillips, wow, you looked pretty dang good today...threw some beauties! That was the best he's ever looked with the "Lights On". I feel good with him going forward, he can sling it.

Small thing but the punters name is Eric Williams.

I didn't get a chance to catch your game, but it seems to me that you guys have a very talented quarterback. I also see a lot of people who were upset about a perceived poor performance, particularly in the first half. We had a lot of similar reactions to our game against Rutgers. To that I say....winners win. 1-0 is all that matters. Good luck this weekend!

IntuitiveGriz said:

Especially when he's playing on one leg.

Valparaiso hangs for 3 quarters, Griz win going away
http://skylinesportsmt.com/valparaiso-hangs-for-3-quarters-griz-win-going-away/

Congratulations Griz. :thumb: Great game to watch from a Valpo perspective. I would have liked to have chimed in sooner, but it took us a few days to drive back to Wisconsin.

Don't be too hard on the staff and the Griz players. Since 2010 we had a combined record of 12-65 mainly against non-scholarship PFL and D-III teams (with 9 of those wins coming in only the last 3 years). And given Valpo's overall performance since 2004 against FCS scholarship programs (0-14, average losing margin 46.5, only had a [brief] lead in one game) it is easy to understand why Valpo would be taken very lightly. Your first offensive and defensive series added to that assumption. As Coach Stitt stated, the long gainers we got are fixable. But much of the adjustment is just mental -- i.e., when your guys come into the game more intensely as they will against Washington and Big Sky opponents, it'll be a whole different ballgame.

Naturally, we felt good that our kids responded well to a very intimidating game environment. Just coming close, hanging in for three quarters and not giving up despite Montana's obvious superiority at all positions gives us much to be positive about. We think we have a good coach in Dave Cecchini and each year we manage to attract a few more better players despite not giving football scholarships.

But the main reason I am posting to this thread is to tell all of you what a marvelous experience it was as fans to visit Missoula, meet Griz fans and enjoy the whole game day atmosphere at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. As we walked around the farmers' market in town and the tailgating area at the stadium we met lots of great people. In sharing comments with other Valpo fans we all agreed that UMT is the friendliest place to watch a college football game. At one point, we needed to get some shade so we sought out a shadow beneath the west press box area and wound up engaged in conversation with a very knowledgeable fan who was very complimentary of the Valpo coaches game plan and the grit of our kids. You don't find that happening in many places. On our way out of the stadium, I can't count the number of times people thanked us for coming to the game.

All in all, this was a great trip and much of that was due to all you Griz fans. Thanks so much. I know Valpo fans will keep a watchful eye on the Griz throughout the remainder of the season and root for you guys to get back to the FCS playoffs.

VULB#62 said:
Congratulations Griz. :thumb: Great game to watch from a Valpo perspective. I would have liked to have chimed in sooner, but it took us a few days to drive back to Wisconsin.

Don't be too hard on the staff and the Griz players. Since 2010 we had a combined record of 12-65 mainly against non-scholarship PFL and D-III teams (with 9 of those wins coming in only the last 3 years). And given Valpo's overall performance since 2004 against FCS scholarship programs (0-14, average losing margin 46.5, only had a [brief] lead in one game) it is easy to understand why Valpo would be taken very lightly. Your first offensive and defensive series added to that assumption. As Coach Stitt stated, the long gainers we got are fixable. But much of the adjustment is just mental -- i.e., when your guys come into the game more intensely as they will against Washington and Big Sky opponents, it'll be a whole different ballgame.

Naturally, we felt good that our kids responded well to a very intimidating game environment. Just coming close, hanging in for three quarters and not giving up despite Montana's obvious superiority at all positions gives us much to be positive about. We think we have a good coach in Dave Cecchini and each year we manage to attract a few more better players despite not giving football scholarships.

But the main reason I am posting to this thread is to tell all of you what a marvelous experience it was as fans to visit Missoula, meet Griz fans and enjoy the whole game day atmosphere at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. As we walked around the farmers' market in town and the tailgating area at the stadium we met lots of great people. In sharing comments with other Valpo fans we all agreed that UMT is the friendliest place to watch a college football game. At one point, we needed to get some shade so we sought out a shadow beneath the west press box area and wound up engaged in conversation with a very knowledgeable fan who was very complimentary of the Valpo coaches game plan and the grit of our kids. You don't find that happening in many places. On our way out of the stadium, I can't count the number of times people thanked us for coming to the game.

All in all, this was a great trip and much of that was due to all you Griz fans. Thanks so much. I know Valpo fans will keep a watchful eye on the Griz throughout the remainder of the season and root for you guys to get back to the FCS playoffs.

Thank you for good wishes. We will be watching Valpo as well. Your guys showed some real skill, #93 is a beast and your QB's are both pretty good. You could be the Dark horse of Patriot League this year. Best of luck to the Crusaders

VULB#62 Thanks for coming out and visiting. Valpo and their fans were great, I only had a brief conversation with a few of them. Your fans were loud in support of their team, it was nice to see the support by the fans that traveled here. Very respectable people and program. Glad to hear the positive feedback.

Hey VULB#62,
Fellow Badger here. Glad you enjoyed your time here and your team played well. I remember another Valparaiso player from way back, #63, Fred "Fuzzy" Thurston who went on to be a great guard for Green Bay. Go Pack.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:

Well they couldn't beat Duquesne and gave up another 45.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

OUCH !!!!!!!! :eek:

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

They also put up 40 themselves...this was closer than you're suggesting.

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

What did I suggest?

kemajic said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

What did I suggest?

That Valpo sucks and the Griz performance against them mandates that the Griz suck as well. Pretty fucking clear, really.

Back