• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Week 1: Montana vs Valpo Game Thread

Who wins this game?

• Montana (0-0)

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Valparaiso (0-0)

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Bobcats Suck

Votes: 46 78.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
griz5700 said:
At least this team has one playmaker on offense.

This could be a tough year for everyone involved. Ugh.

I'm optimistic on the offensive side, but holy balls you can't give up 5 monster plays every game even in the defenseless Big Sky. That has to get better quick or else (well after Washington that is).

Williams - 53 yard average!
No missed kicks!
Reese looked pretty darn good! Accurate. Steady in the pocket.
Jensen looked good as well. Nice run. 3-3 passing. Accurate.
However, gave up 450 yards and too many big plays.
Linebackers on receivers worked well for Valpo.

First game. If we continue to improve and evolve, we're going to be ok.

Go Griz!

Wonder when the heat will get turned up on Semore. Last year was a debacle and now giving up over 400 yards to a non-scholly team doesn't bode well. Valpo will finish higher than 10th in the Pioneer, they played well.

grizeyes said:
No missed kicks!
Reese looked pretty darn good! Accurate. Steady in the pocket.
Jensen looked good as well. Nice run. 3-3 passing. Accurate.
However, gave up 450 yards and too many big plays.
Linebackers on receivers worked well for Valpo.

First game. If we continue to improve and evolve, we're going to be ok.

Go Griz!

Are you ok with just ok?

putter said:
Wonder when the heat will get turned up on Semore. Last year was a debacle and now giving up over 400 yards to a non-scholly team doesn't bode well. Valpo will finish higher than 10th in the Pioneer, they played well.

Yep. I think the Griz will be generally ok, but my confidence in Semore is on the wane. Didn't help that his pre-game interview had him sounding like a complete doofus. Kind've has high school coach written all over him....

grizeyes said:
No missed kicks!
Go Griz!
Supposedly Stitt does not like to punt ... but, at least for this one game, the Griz have a punter that you can't ignore. Not only did he average over 53 yards per kick ... but with the fair catches and a downing, he put Valpo at the 20, 17, 15 and 1 yard line. That folks, is a weapon.

Holy shit this thread delivers. People ready to write off the season midway through the first fucking quarter of the first fucking game. How does four TD's in six offensive plays taste? You chicken littles will never be happy, I swear.

Oh, and I was at the Tech/EWU game and they did NOT look good....like most play up games it was close for a while but Tech methodically dominated from the get go.

As far as the Griz go, do people think we will be better or worse when Strong and Strahm get back? When your two starting safeties are Epperley and Delaney things are NOT going to go well. But I'd worry more about finding anybody to play behind Calhoun because Lee doesn't appear to be he guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan said:
Holy shit this thread delivers. People ready to write off the season midway through the first f***[*] quarter of the first f***[*] game. How does four TD's in six offensive plays taste? You chicken littles will never be happy, I swear.

Oh, and I was at the Tech/EWU game and they did NOT look good....like most play up games it was close for a while but Tech methodically dominated from the get go.

As far as the Griz go, do people think we will be better or worse when Strong and Strahm get back? When your two starting safeties are Epperley and Delaney things are NOT going to go well. But I'd worry more about finding anybody to play behind Calhoun because Lee doesn't appear to be he guy.

Did Lee do that bad?

AZGrizFan said:
Holy shit this thread delivers. People ready to write off the season midway through the first f***[*] quarter of the first f***[*] game.

Hey you have to be able to accept the inevitable when you see it without letting emotion get in the way.

I remember when my kid started playing tee ball when he was 4, he was more interested in playing in the dirt than watching the batters...I knew right there his sports career was over. I left, no idea how he got home now that I think about it.

I heard he won a state title in something later on, probably should have went to that, but if they don't win every time what's the point?

jodcon said:
AZGrizFan said:
Holy shit this thread delivers. People ready to write off the season midway through the first f***[*] quarter of the first f***[*] game.

Hey you have to be able to accept the inevitable when you see it without letting emotion get in the way.

I remember when my kid started playing tee ball when he was 4, he was more interested in playing in the dirt than watching the batters...I knew right there his sports career was over. I left, no idea how he got home now that I think about it.

I heard he won a state title in something later on, probably should have went to that, but if they don't win every time what's the point?
:lol: :lol:

signedbewildered said:
AZGrizFan said:
Holy shit this thread delivers. People ready to write off the season midway through the first f***[*] quarter of the first f***[*] game. How does four TD's in six offensive plays taste? You chicken littles will never be happy, I swear.

Did Lee do that bad?

9 carries for just 26 yards. Favors wasn't any better in mop up--3 carries for just 7 yards.

After rewatching the game on TV, it didn't look as bad as it did in person. Definitely need to get the secondary problems fixed. As for the running game, we ran it up the middle quite a bit, which is unusual but maybe that was just being vanilla for today?

Is it bad that I fell asleep early in the 2nd half?** I woke up as the game ended and was pleased with the score though.

**Very first Griz game with our soon to be 8 month old young'n. I'm not used to watching the Griz in such an exhausted state I guess. We are planning on taking him to the EWU game for his first - can't wait.

HelenaHandBasket said:
ordigger said:
first11 said:
Sooo... Valpo only a middling no scholie Pioneer team

Wow, we got some things to fix

Middling? You do understand that just because they dont have scholarships that they suck. USD beat CalPoly last year in the playoffs. Many Pioneer "insiders" believe that Valpo is going to surprise in their league this year - I would bet that that is obvious the case.

You do realize that Valpo was picked to finish 10th in the Pioneer.

There are 11 teams in the Pioneer. If anyone still really thinks that Valpo finishes 10th or 11th this year, I, too, am more than willing to put serious $ that they finish 9th or higher. Perennial power San Diego barely beat Western NM today. Valpo has 40! freshman and only 9 seniors, and that's why they got picked low, but I think their Frosh Qb (who vastly out-played their soph qb) playing his first college game ever looked pretty darn good considering. They are not great, but they have some potential. Griffin Norberg #2 is a solid WR too.

AZGrizFan said:

on the flip side, if you use the logic of many analyses of the game, bw's, for instance, you can 'take away' those four tds in six plays, and start from there. oi.

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

on the flip side, if you use the logic of many analyses of the game, bw's, for instance, you can 'take away' those four tds in six plays, and start from there. oi.

Yep. But at the end of the day, we beat them by 22. I wonder how much would have been enough for some of the shitstain complainers on this board? 30? 40? 50?

Zirg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
ordigger said:
first11 said:
Sooo... Valpo only a middling no scholie Pioneer team

Wow, we got some things to fix

Middling? You do understand that just because they dont have scholarships that they suck. USD beat CalPoly last year in the playoffs. Many Pioneer "insiders" believe that Valpo is going to surprise in their league this year - I would bet that that is obvious the case.

You do realize that Valpo was picked to finish 10th in the Pioneer.

There are 11 teams in the Pioneer. If anyone still really thinks that Valpo finishes 10th or 11th this year, I, too, am more than willing to put serious $ that they finish 9th or higher. Perennial power San Diego barely beat Western NM today. Valpo has 40! freshman and only 9 seniors, and that's why they got picked low, but I think their Frosh Qb (who vastly out-played their soph qb) playing his first college game ever looked pretty darn good considering. They are not great, but they have some potential. Griffin Norberg #2 is a solid WR too.

If Valpo finishes 5-7th in the Pioneer, does it really matter? They are still a bottom level FCS team.

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yep. But at the end of the day, we beat them by 22. I wonder how much would have been enough for some of the shitstain complainers on this board? 30? 40? 50?

AZ, for me, it was not exactly the score that raised flags. I still see big issues with the OL, the defense as a whole, and ST coverage. Personally, I think Valpo is only better than 1 team the Griz played last season.

Latest posts

Back