• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vim's 2022 Montana High School Football Recruiting- Final List

IntuitiveGriz said:
Paytonlives said:
Its an opinion by Vim. Over the years he has been pretty honest about his picks... and year after year I don't see a cat bias.

Time will tell, but yes I think Crews was by far the best at the championship game.

Vim however looks at not only the whole senior year, but he follows these players for several years.

Vim is clueless. He barely ranked Tommy Mellott in his TOP 50!

Montana Gatorade Player of the Year... Div 1 FCS Playoff Monster!

Vim = JOKE

I mean, I heard that kid couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Seems he nailed it and he probably won’t be a QB at the next level

Vim does a great job with this. Hitting on every kid is impossible. NFL and college evaluators miss on kids all the time. Some kids may have peaked early on and other kids still have growth spurts. Other kids may be playing out of position because their high school team needed them to play somewhere else. Small school kids can either be overlooked or they can be over valued because they dominate against lesser opponents. The list on walk ons for both the Cats and Griz that have been studs goes on and on. That is in part because desire, toughness, competitiveness, coachability etc.. are also tough to measure. It is an inexact science to say the least.

UncleRico said:
Vim does a great job with this. Hitting on every kid is impossible. NFL and college evaluators miss on kids all the time. Some kids may have peaked early on and other kids still have growth spurts. Other kids may be playing out of position because their high school team needed them to play somewhere else. Small school kids can either be overlooked or they can be over valued because they dominate against lesser opponents. The list on walk ons for both the Cats and Griz that have been studs goes on and on. That is in part because desire, toughness, competitiveness, coachability etc.. are also tough to measure. It is an inexact science to say the least.

Yes... its very hard to be 100% correct, especially in Montana where travel and video is sometimes hard to find

HookedonGriz said:
go96griz said:
I agree that Crews was the best player in state. Not taking anything away from Taco, but Crews may end up being a special talent.

There was LITERALLY a night and day difference on what each of them did for their teams in the chipper. It wasn’t even close. One of the most dominant games I’ve seen by an individual player.

I am afraid we might lose him to Cats or EWU if we are too complacent(heard both are all over him). I know it is a complicated situation, however he is is a good kid that made a mistake. Hurry up and don't mess around

wyomingriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
There was LITERALLY a night and day difference on what each of them did for their teams in the chipper. It wasn’t even close. One of the most dominant games I’ve seen by an individual player.

I am afraid we might lose him to Cats or EWU if we are too complacent(heard both are all over him). I know it is a complicated situation, however he is is a good kid that made a mistake. Hurry up and don't mess around

Do you think some of the players on those teams might not have an issue with what he did?
Coach should gather all his players together and ask if the kid would be a disctraction and then move on with a decision. Give these kids credit they are probably more forgiving then some "adults" in these situations

Mavman said:
wyomingriz said:

Do you think some of the players on those teams might not have an issue with what he did?
Coach should gather all his players together and ask if the kid would be a disctraction and then move on with a decision. Give these kids credit they are probably more forgiving then some "adults" in these situations

I think the situation has already been addressed with team, i agree kids are very forgiving. I have second hand knowledge that he has done everything right in trying to gain coach and team trust, i just hope we don’t lose him. I think he is a good kid and an incredible talent

Surprised Vim doesn't have Callahan Hoffman from Dillon anywhere on his list. He will be wearing a Bobcat or Grizzly uniform next year. 6'8 250 lbs offensive lineman with a frame to add a lot of lbs onto

wyomingriz said:
Surprised Vim doesn't have Callahan Hoffman from Dillon anywhere on his list. He will be wearing a Bobcat or Grizzly uniform next year. 6'8 250 lbs offensive lineman with a frame to add a lot of lbs onto

Almost made my "project" tier but I guess I just didn't see it. I found it strange he mostly just posted DE highlights where he was decent. I mostly just saw a tall kid who doesn't bend very well who would be a 3-4 year project as a potential OT.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Paytonlives said:
Its an opinion by Vim. Over the years he has been pretty honest about his picks... and year after year I don't see a cat bias.

Time will tell, but yes I think Crews was by far the best at the championship game.

Vim however looks at not only the whole senior year, but he follows these players for several years.

Vim is clueless. He barely ranked Tommy Mellott in his TOP 50!

Montana Gatorade Player of the Year... Div 1 FCS Playoff Monster!

Vim = JOKE

Ranked him #1 in his class but I do concede I had concerns about his production going into his senior season...as did other evaluators.

My evaluations and/or thoughts on UM recruits that made my list:

2.) Zac Crews (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'5", 205 lbs. - ATH/DE/LB
6129c278df088.image.jpg

61612ecf009e0.image.jpg

1113_SPO_DIL_Glacier_vs_Missoula_Sentinel_15_t1170.jpg

Why is Zac "rare" for a Montana recruit?
- 2021 AA Offensive MVP as a QB
- Three-time All-State DE, All-State TE as a junior, and All-State QB as a senior
- 13.5 sacks and 27.5 TFLs throughout his career with an 8.5 sack/14 TFL effort his junior year (keep in mind he did not play full defensive reps his senior season)
- 1771 passing yards, 869 rushing yards, a 20/3 TD/INT ratio, 11 rushing TDs, and a 68% completion rate his senior season
- A long and lean edge defender who can wreak havoc on opposing offenses as a pass-rusher and run defender
- Hard to block with explosive get-off quickness and great feel for winning with his hands
- Slips/slithers around pass protection and run blocking with relative ease by contorting his long frame
- Will use his length to his advantage upon contact by locking out offensive lineman early in reps
- Pad level is not a problem despite his size and its actually a strength of Zac's
- Despite his lean frame, he doesn't get washed out in the run game as much as one would assume due to his high motor and qualities stated above
- Long strider in the open field with explosive burst upon contact
- Plays through the echo of the whistle with incredible effort every play including a highlight from his junior season where he ran down a Billings West receiver 60 yards down the field after being in the backfield at the beginning of the play
- Arguably was the best dual-threat QB in the state his senior season...even better than Kaden Huot
- 2021 AA State Champion in the 110M Hurdles and Javelin
- 2021 3rd Place Finish in the 205 lb. weight class in AA wrestling (first year wrestling as well)
- Receiving significant interest from Boise State over the summer prior to committing to Montana last fall

Final Thought on Zac: If Zac ever gets a chance to play football, its scary to think what he could develop into once he actually starts adding weight on that lean frame.

3.) Kaden Huot (Helena High) - 6'4", 200 lbs. - QB
5f813c8c5e38d.image.jpg

What makes Kaden a "blue chip" prospect?
- Two-time All-State QB who broke nearly every Helena High QB record throughout his career
- A 49/11 TD/INT ratio his final two seasons with 2249 passing yards (28 TDs) and 752 rushing yards (9 TDs) his senior season
- Prototype size, athleticism, and traits for a QB prospect that can make throws at all three levels and gains momentum throughout games
- Has dual-threat capabilities showing decent wheels and physical running style his senior season
- Can make throws from a bunch of different angles while still delivering a catchable ball consistently

Biggest obstacle to overcome at the next level: production dived against better competition.

5.) Marcus Evans (Helena High) - 6'1", 215 lbs. - LB
241165316_3104954816415392_1726382432167378319_n.jpeg

What makes Marcus a "blue chip" prospect?
- Can play any of the three LB positions at the next level at a high level
- Physical at the point of attack showing strong leverage as a tackler and early arm extension to keep himself clean from blockers
- Decent in coverage where he can matchup with mostly positive results (also not afraid to be physical with TE's in press coverage)
- Makes quick decisions that commonly put him in a spot to win the play including special teams (blocked a few kicks in high school)
- One of the best RBs in the state showing off agility and balance as a runner on top of his physicality

Biggest obstacle to overcome at the next level: will his limited athleticism hurt his development despite above-average traits in all other areas of playing LB.

6.) Tyson Rostad (Hamilton) - 6'1", 205 lbs. - LB/S
1003_SPO_DIL_CFalls_vs_Hamilton_16_t1170.jpg

What makes Tyson a "blue chip" prospect?
- All-State production as both a QB and LB/S as a senior/junior and WR as a sophomore so the versatility is fantastic
- Career offensive production: 48/8 TD/INT, 3925 passing yards (67% comp.), 1252 rushing yards (25 TDs), 612 receiving yards (10 TDs)
- Solid athleticism and frame to either develop as a college safety or linebacker but will likely do a mix of both
- Great tackler in space with good physicality, instincts, and flow to the football
- Good feel for playing the deep ball which offsets his lack of speed with 6 career interceptions (4 his senior season)

Biggest obstacle to overcome at the next level: can he settle into a position and max out his development (same as Caden Dowler).

11.) Ian Finch (Missoula Hellgate) - 6'3", 185 lbs. - WR
The best way to describe Ian as a WR prospect is "clean". He just doesn't have a ton of major flaws other than a lack of top-end speed.
Ian's the clear #2 receiver in this class and the #1 outside receiver prospect. He's a savvy route runner, natural hands catcher, reliable blocker, and has the awareness to know where he's at on the football field in order to not only help his QB but also make catches near the sidelines or first down markers. His 2,741 career receiving yards and 162 career receptions both rank him 4th on the all-class MHSA record books for football. Ian is a kid where the production is clearly there at the highest classification in Montana with his only major hurdle being how much further he can develop his athleticism. The fact that he got all of that production without being a speed demon or physical imposing player speaks to how intriguing he is as a prospect and I think there is a little Mitch Roberts in his game that the Griz may be able to tap into these next few years.

17.) Beau Dantic (Laurel) - 5'11", 175 lbs. - RB/ATH
Beau is one of the top RB prospects in this class but he also has position flexibility as a WR and return man. Biggest trait that jumps off the tape is his agility and explosion as a runner as he can cut on a dime when running inside or burst outside to hit the edge. Beau is a playmaker with the ball in his hands and Laurel did a good job of getting it to him in a variety of ways on offense. He played OLB on defense showing the ability to set the edge and make life tough on outside runs while also being a pest in pass coverage. I really think he'll carve out some type of role within a few years for the Grizzlies and he's one of my favorite highlight tapes of this Montana crop.

18.) Joseph Weida (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'4", 220 lbs. - TE
Joseph is built just how a classic TE prospect is supposed to look: great feel for blocking duties, can operate in-line or in space, and reliable hands. He's got a knack for finding soft spots in zone coverage to help his QB. Joseph still has some work to do as a blocker (mostly strength related) but he's got decent technique already and he understands his job based off film. While not the fastest TE prospect, he's decent after the catch and can use his big frame to get tough yards. Joseph is exactly what you want in developmental in-line TE prospect and the fact he adds additional value as a receiver is the cherry on top.

20.) Braunson Henriksen (Polson) - 6'5", 230 lbs. - DE
First thing that jumps off the page and tape is Braunson's length as he's all of 6'5" with a decent frame that can add on more weight. Braunson improved as a pass rusher his senior season and was really a force for a Polson squad that lost in the Class A semifinals. However, there are clear reasons on tape why a kid with Braunson's measurables didn't garner a full-ride scholarship as he doesn't have a quick twitch off the line, plays high, and doesn't really use those long arms consistently to his advantage on a per play basis. Braunson reminds me a ton of former Helena Capital and Griz Cole Rosling, player who was very productive his senior season but couldn't quite develop that into a contributing role at the next level. This doesn't mean he can't grow into a rotational role with the current Griz defensive line as weaknesses like lack of pad level and hand usage can be developed and if he does refine those skills, the Griz might have a steal because that length is real.

24.) Chase McGurran (Helena High) - 6'1", 180 lbs. - DB
Chase is a versatile athlete who can develop at multiple positions at the next level. As a corner, he can line up on the outside or in the slot with the latter being his best position on defense. Chase has good instincts in coverage, doesn't hesitate when breaking on the ball, and brings a physical presence when arriving at the ball carrier. On offense, he's a slot receiver all the way and really improved his YAC ability his senior year. However, Chase's best chance to be a contributor for the Griz is on special teams either as a gunner or return man where he starred in high school and was a legitimate threat in AA.

30.) Joey Visser (Jefferson) - 6'1", 175 lbs. - S/DB
Joey is an under the radar find by the UM coaching staff. When you turn on the tape, you can see why he received interest from the Griz as a safety prospect and likely special teamer in training (he plays the game fast). He'll need to add weight but Joey plays with a ton of pop on the back end and can defend the deep half of the field due to his speed and range. Like Colby Martinez, he's another great track athlete from Class B that can make highlight plays on the football field due to his natural athleticism.

VimSince03 said:
wyomingriz said:

Almost made my "project" tier but I guess I just didn't see it. I found it strange he mostly just posted DE highlights where he was decent. I mostly just saw a tall kid who doesn't bend very well who would be a 3-4 year project as a potential OT.

You are spot on, he is a project, but i will be surprised if he doesn’t land in Bozeman or Missoula

Vim.......thanks for sharing your insight....I appreciate it along with many of my e-Griz peers...

Vim.......thanks for sharing your insight....I appreciate it along with many of my e-Griz peers...

Back