• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Uni

MTGRZ said:
Personally I like our Uni's; hope they don't drastically change them in a year or two.

Finally...

& with names on the back that can be read from space, bastards.

Zirg said:
statler & waldorf said:
Those of us active Griz fans at the time are familiar with the UNI bullshit, which hit the fan in 2001, perhaps setting the stage for the supposed fart, in 2011. Farley returns to the scene of his embarrassment, 38-0.
Quotes from "The Divide War: Montana's Golden Treasure," pp. 470-471:
"Our entire team was really fired up to play Northern Iowa," said (Vince)Huntsberger. "They were a real cheap outfit. They would not send us tape so we could look at them. I remember we had to get tape from other teams because of that fact. We never got tape until Tuesday or Wednesday."
"Then all week long we would read quote after quote in the paper about how they were going to whip our butt. Even when they arrived in Missoula for the game they were still flapping their jaws. By game, time we wanted to absolutely destroy that team."
"It was probably the only time I saw coach Glenn get really irritated was prior to the Northern Iowa game," said (Jon)Skinner. "He was very upset over not getting film. The coaching staff made it very clear to us if we had a chance we'd kick their butt by as much as possible."
"The entire game was a clowns' show," said (John)Edwards "We were upset going into the thing and they were so dirty as a football team. I recall Joe Glenn telling us at halftime not to get caught up in their nonsense because the last thing we needed was to get one of our players tossed from the game. It would mean they would have to sit out the national title game. Joe also told us we were going to put the coals in the burner as much as possible and continue to pour it on these guys."
"It was pure joy kicking their butt," said Huntsberger. "During the game, they were talking trash and punching our players."
"In fact a couple of their guys got kicked out of the game for it. I loved putting it to them. I thought for sure there would be a fight after that game when we were shaking hands because we were tired of all their crap."
"I lived beating them," said Skinner. "They were a very arrogant team. They were punching people and talking trash the whole game. A couple of their players got kicked out of the game. They deserved to get their butt whipped."

I agree about everything in this post. Northern Iowa has been complete bitches over the years concerning the Griz. I have Zero respect for them. I remember the trade-taping fiasco. No other team has ever refused to trade tapes. Concerning the "punching" allegations that Vince and Jon are referring too. I rememberJake Soliday nut-punching one of the DeCoite's. Soliday got ejected if I recall. Class act by those Panthers every time. Show no mercy Griz fans. These guys are jerks, period!

Well, THOSE guys were jerks. Same coach, but completely different players this time. Also, I seem to recall some writer(s) for the Waterloo newspaper were eagerly throwing gasoline on the fire before the game. I wonder if Bill Speltz has any insights? Anyway, they as much as I hope the Griz win, it might be their turn.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/northern-iowa/uni-panthers/2018/08/01/uni-football-puts-six-preseason-all-mvfc-teams/879188002/

Dargan Southard, Des Moines Register

UNI football: Six Panthers named to preseason all-MVFC teams

The Missouri Valley Football Conference finished the two-day release of its preseason all-conference teams Wednesday, and Northern Iowa has six total representatives.

Junior tight end Briley Moore and linebacker Rickey Neal were named first-team all-conference selections, while running back Marcus Weymiller, left tackle Cal Twait, wide receiver Isaiah Weston and defensive back Xavior Williams were second-team selections.

Moore is UNI’s leading returning receiver and will be the primary option in replacing NFL-bound Daurice Fountain. Moore, cut from the hybrid tight end cloth, hauled in 38 catches for 494 yards last year.

Neal, meanwhile, will anchor the Panther defense, which experienced some big losses from last season. Graduated are important pieces Jared Farley, Adam Reth, Malcolm Washington and Elijah Campbell.

Neal, who racked up 51 tackles and a team-high 15 tackles for loss, will look to shoulder much of that defensive leadership.

The Panthers finished third in the MVFC’s preseason poll, slotted behind South Dakota State and defending FCS national champion North Dakota State. UNI will play both the Bison (Oct. 6) and Jackrabbits (Oct. 20) at home this season.
Also for the first time since 2008, the Panthers will play a regular-season game on a non-Saturday. UNI opens conference play Thursday, Sept. 27, against Indiana State, creating a short week coming off the Panthers’ Sept. 22 home-opener versus Hampton.

The Panthers’ last non-Saturday regular-season game came was in 2008.

“You can schedule yourself into great position, and you can schedule yourself into tough positions,” UNI coach Mark Farley said this week on the MVFC teleconference.

“So, our schedule this year with that open date in the second week will give us a week in there to make some adjustments after one game, but that short turnaround to Indiana State, there’s no question, will be a challenge playing on a Thursday night in the middle of the week after our first home game.”

UNI opens the season Sept. 1 at Montana. The Panthers are coming off an 8-5 campaign that saw them reach the FCS playoffs' second round.

Back