• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

um programs being cut

BWahlberg said:
For reference, most recent it would seem that I could find is 2016's: https://mus.edu/data/Athletics/2016/2016-MUS-Summary-Income-Statement_UM-Missoula.htm

After revenue and expenses:

Football made $3,500,000

Of all other sports:

MBB lost $200,000
WBB lost $500,000
Men's tennis lost $150,000
Men's track/XC lost $360,000
Softball lost $700,000
Golf lost $150,000
Women's Tennis lost $185,000
Soccer lost $500,000
Women's track/XC lost $400,000
Volleyball lost $350,000

A total loss of $3,500,000 when combining all sports

Fortunately there's a "non-program specific" field that made $1,700,000 in 2016 to keep athletics in the black.

Don't we have some crazy lease agreement for Dahlberg that hurts UM too?

grizfan95 said:
AZGrizFan said:
“Athletics” don’t run a deficit. What causes the deficit is Title IX and the requirement to have a number of money-sucking non revenue sports offered.

*Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

Title IX is a legal requirement for an athletic program. Without Title IX compliance there would be mo men’s sports. Pointless comment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess what is lost in this a bit, is how 'efficiently' run the athletic department is. Far more efficiently than the rest of the campus obviously, and in my experience its overhead and number of support personnel and positions is smaller than most schools of its size. Wasn't too long ago that it had assistant coaches holding secondary jobs in the department.

The budget cutbacks isn't a reference on the losing money nature of the department, but as I noted earlier is hold back because philosophies have changed. I'll use high school athletics as an example.

30 years ago, almost everything at the high school was funded by the school. I don't know many schools in Montana, Idaho or California that fund their athletic departments fully. As such I have spent much of my time, over the past 15 years as a coach, in a public institution raising money that funds essentially basic elements of the program. There is a principle at play here or at least an ethical question: Are athletics apart of public schools and post secondary schools mission? If your answer is yes, then there is likely a fiduciary requirement by schools to fund them. How much? That is up for debate.

To that end, I am not sure anyone can argue that college or high school athletic programs shouldn't feel the pain. What is different and I think this is the SIGNIFICANT issue, is athletic departments and programs can be privatized or essentially privatized, whereas public education can't. If you can bring in revenue streams that directly fund programs, then you can divest the state support and funnel it elsewhere.

College academic programs aren't asked to generate money in the same way that athletic programs are. They can generate grants and endowments for the university, but they aren't and shouldn't be required to show income for the university. They however should be asked to show solvency, that what we are spending for the right for your program to exist. Are there butts in your seats? If not? you are going to feel the pain, or your program cut.

As a teacher who has felt that pain twice in my career, I wish that colleges in someways were much more beholden to bottom lines. Public schools are, but colleges regardless of type are large entities that are slow to respond to budgetary problems. The UM is in year six of enrollment decline, and its ponderous and sloth like response to remedy its budgetary issues is almost criminal. States, including Montana, are seemingly inclined to allow post secondary schools inefficiently swallow up money, but while they are going to almost in a draconian method excise the fat from primary and secondary schools. Talk about a disconnect.

Apologize for the soap box. This issue sort of gets me right in feelers.

grizpsych said:
BWahlberg said:
For reference, most recent it would seem that I could find is 2016's: https://mus.edu/data/Athletics/2016/2016-MUS-Summary-Income-Statement_UM-Missoula.htm

Football made $3,500,000

Of all other sports:

MBB lost $200,000
WBB lost $500,000
Softball lost $700,000
Golf lost $150,000
Soccer lost $500,000
Volleyball lost $350,000

Fortunately there's a "non-program specific" field that made $1,700,000 in 2016 to keep athletics in the black.

Looking at those numbers it points to mainly one thing. "Poor Management" of the sports programs. Unless you are the US Government, you can't keep operating in the Red. Is this a continuing issue? I mean, has this been a problem over the last few years or for a long time? I know women's softball only came about four years ago and there are probably a lot of startup cost involved.

argh! said:
sounds like athletics might be a good place to start:

"The acute problems may call for unprecedented solutions, such as a smaller subsidy for athletics and one central university in Montana, Cook said. A 2015 analysis by a local legislator and economist showed UM's Athletics Department would run a deficit of some $8.6 million without state subsidies; a separate report also showed UM athletics supported itself more than any other school in the Big Sky Conference."
Paris Gibson, one of the founders of Great Falls, proposed this way back when a new MT state was setting up a HE program. Located in GF, of course. MT would be like WY, sports-wise, if Gibson's proposal had been adopted. OK, enough of dreaming.

reinell30 said:
grizpsych said:
BWahlberg said:

Football made $3,500,000

Of all other sports:

MBB lost $200,000
WBB lost $500,000
Softball lost $700,000
Golf lost $150,000
Soccer lost $500,000
Volleyball lost $350,000

Looking at those numbers it points to mainly one thing. "Poor Management" of the sports programs. Unless you are the US Government, you can't keep operating in the Red. Is this a continuing issue? I mean, has this been a problem over the last few years or for a long time? I know women's softball only came about four years ago and there are probably a lot of startup cost involved.
Completely agree!

bearister said:
grizfan95 said:
AZGrizFan said:
“Athletics” don’t run a deficit. What causes the deficit is Title IX and the requirement to have a number of money-sucking non revenue sports offered.

Title IX is a legal requirement for an athletic program. Without Title IX compliance there would be mo men’s sports. Pointless comment.

You're not an attorney, but you play one on TV?

Everybody knows WHY Title IX exists. But why carry Men's golf, when it only requires you to also carry women's golf? Or similarly, Track & Field? Or men's tennis?

AZGrizFan said:
... Everybody knows WHY Title IX exists. But why carry Men's golf, when it only requires you to also carry women's golf? Or similarly, Track & Field? Or men's tennis?
There are always trade-offs to be made.

But what stood out to me on that list was the $700,000 loss for softball. That's much more than any other sport. If I we're looking for things to cut/replace, I'd give that a hard look.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
... Everybody knows WHY Title IX exists. But why carry Men's golf, when it only requires you to also carry women's golf? Or similarly, Track & Field? Or men's tennis?

But what stood out to me on that list was the $700,000 loss for softball. That's much more than any other sport. If I were looking for things to cut/replace, I'd give that a hard look.

Good luck with that since a truckload of moola went to building, updating and adding on the Softball Complex.

PlayerRep said:
"In 1992, the state picked up 76 percent of the tab for a college education; it's picking up 38 percent in 2018."

To put this dismal fact into context, the percentage covered has indeed shrunk, but the absolute dollars have also increased substantially. Cost inflation has been much, much greater in higher education than in almost any other aspect of the economy.
That said, I personally would favor much higher taxes in order to make college affordable for anyone capable of benefiting from it. The problem is, there is one political party who thinks education is an individual rather than a societal benefit and that low taxes are the be all and end all of good government, regardless of unmet needs.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

But what stood out to me on that list was the $700,000 loss for softball. That's much more than any other sport. If I we're looking for things to cut/replace, I'd give that a hard look.
Good luck with that since a truckload of moola went to building, updating and adding on the Softball Complex.
Fair enough, if the cost of all that upgrading was the main reason for the big deficit. So there's your "hard look" -- if it was a one-time thing and costs drop back to something not so bad, then no problem. Soccer (a half-million dollar loss) would be next in line for a hard look. Did they incur special expenses during the year? If not, why were they so expensive ... soccer should be a relatively cheap sport. Of course, women's BBall also lost a half million, but they've been through a rough patch (in terms of W-L) which can hopefully improve.

IdaGriz01 said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Fair enough, if the cost of all that upgrading was the main reason for the big deficit. So there's your "hard look" -- if it was a one-time thing and costs drop back to something not so bad, then no problem. Soccer (a half-million dollar loss) would be next in line for a hard look. Did they incur special expenses during the year? If not, why were they so expensive ... soccer should be a relatively cheap sport. Of course, women's BBall also lost a half million, but they've been through a rough patch (in terms of W-L) which can hopefully improve.
I'm not saying don't give a hard look - all I'm saying is that cutting Softball would be bananas since it has just barely been established and has had quite a bit of money sunk into it.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
... I'm not saying don't give a hard look - all I'm saying is that cutting Softball would be bananas since it has just barely been established and has had quite a bit of money sunk into it.
Pretty sure we're in agreement on this. That big number looks like a high "startup cost" that will come down once things get rolling.

Grizzoola said:
argh! said:
sounds like athletics might be a good place to start:

"The acute problems may call for unprecedented solutions, such as a smaller subsidy for athletics and one central university in Montana, Cook said. A 2015 analysis by a local legislator and economist showed UM's Athletics Department would run a deficit of some $8.6 million without state subsidies; a separate report also showed UM athletics supported itself more than any other school in the Big Sky Conference."
Paris Gibson, one of the founders of Great Falls, proposed this way back when a new MT state was setting up a HE program. Located in GF, of course. MT would be like WY, sports-wise, if Gibson's proposal had been adopted. OK, enough of dreaming.
Could have followed the Penn St. model. Find the geographical center of the state; build the university there and they will come. Once a town grows around the university, call it "State College."

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Not to mention the Dennison initiated accounting creativity which sucks money from athletics to other areas of the University. Many, many examples; the AD gets nothing from concessions at the games; that all goes to the food service. UM is in the top 60 nationally for logo, gear and license sales; that all goes to the bookstore. AD pays rent for facilties, even when the capital came from the AD and AD donations. Gameday parking and tailgate fees? Nada. While the AD pays for gameday services, security, etc. Maybe that is good for the University, but it makes for sqewed numbers relative to other universities with conventional accounting practices.

Good god, I knew it was bad, but had no idea it was THAT bad. Perhaps if I lived closer and wasn’t too far removed to understand... :cool:
It's even worse. I neglected to mention that the "Institutional Support" provided to the AD is predominantly scholarships which the University credits itself at total cost, including out-of-state, when in fact they are of course incremental.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Not to mention the Dennison initiated accounting creativity which sucks money from athletics to other areas of the University. Many, many examples; the AD gets nothing from concessions at the games; that all goes to the food service. UM is in the top 60 nationally for logo, gear and license sales; that all goes to the bookstore. AD pays rent for facilties, even when the capital came from the AD and AD donations. Gameday parking and tailgate fees? Nada. While the AD pays for gameday services, security, etc. Maybe that is good for the University, but it makes for sqewed numbers relative to other universities with conventional accounting practices.

Good god, I knew it was bad, but had no idea it was THAT bad. Perhaps if I lived closer and wasn’t too far removed to understand... :cool:
It's even worse. I neglected to mention that the "Institutional Support" provided to the AD is predominantly scholarships which the University credits itself at total cost, including out-of-state, when in fact they are of course incremental.

Any chance these "contracts", for lack of a better term, are changed with new leadership? It seems we are paying for the sins of our fathers here.

srgrizizen said:
PlayerRep said:
"In 1992, the state picked up 76 percent of the tab for a college education; it's picking up 38 percent in 2018."

To put this dismal fact into context, the percentage covered has indeed shrunk, but the absolute dollars have also increased substantially. Cost inflation has been much, much greater in higher education than in almost any other aspect of the economy.
That said, I personally would favor much higher taxes in order to make college affordable for anyone capable of benefiting from it. The problem is, there is one political party who thinks education is an individual rather than a societal benefit and that low taxes are the be all and end all of good government, regardless of unmet needs.
You can thank the government funded and guaranteed student loan program (and more recent 2010 Federal Direct Student Loan program) for the bolded part. College cost escalation happened right in line with the ability of universities to get their snout in the government trough WRT a giant pile of easily available money.
Higher%20Ed%20Inflation-thumb-525x397.jpg

So no, it's not about raising everyones taxes more. It's about understanding cause and effect (and unintended consequence) of OTHER government programs with ostensibly good intentions.

AZGrizFan said:
bearister said:
grizfan95 said:
AZGrizFan said:

You're not an attorney, but you play one on TV?

Everybody knows WHY Title IX exists. But why carry Men's golf, when it only requires you to also carry women's golf? Or similarly, Track & Field? Or men's tennis?

For one, they don't carry men's golf. Second, there is a minimum number of sports required by the NCAA, and third, there are specific sports mandated by the BSC to be a full member in addition the the Title IX requirements.

Back