• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Ball is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mcg said:
StumptownGriz said:
I feel like we are still a year away. Excited to watch this extremely young team develop. I think this year will say a lot about where this team and coaching staff is headed in the next 2-3 years. Should be one of the more exciting Springs we've had.

Mr. Stitt doesn't have another year.

Hes got two more years

get'em_griz said:
kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
Harm said:
Here's to the outside chance they actually win some games against teams above .500....
Well, Stitt has improved on the previous coach's record there.

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really?
overall: Stitt 14-10; Delaney 24-14 advantage Delaney by
vs BS teams: Stitt 9-8; Delaney 16-9 advantage Delaney
vs. MSU: Stitt 1-1; Delaney 2-1 advantage Delaney
playoffs: Stitt 1-1; Delaney 1-2 advantage Stitt

Never let the facts get in your way.

To be fair here, you gotta compare both by two seasons as Stitt has only had two seasons.

Overall: Stitt 14-10; Delaney 15-9 - Advantage Delaney by +1
vs BS Teams: Stitt 9-8; Delaney 10-7 - Advantage Delaney by +1
vs MSU: Stitt 1-1; Delaney 1-1 - Draw
Playoffs: Stitt 1-1; Delaney 1-1 - Draw

Pretty even, but Stitt has faired better against .500 or greater teams, going 7-7 vs Delaney's 4-7, granted Stitt has had three more games against .500 or greater teams.

You forgot a very important category:

Kicking off to start both halves:
Delaney-1
Stitt-0

Advantage Stitt

BadlandsGrizFan said:
get'em_griz said:
kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
Well, Stitt has improved on the previous coach's record there.

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really?

To be fair here, you gotta compare both by two seasons as Stitt has only had two seasons.

Pretty even, but Stitt has faired better against .500 or greater teams, going 7-7 vs Delaney's 4-7, granted Stitt has had three more games against .500 or greater teams.

Delaney-1
Stitt-0

Advantage Stitt

POTY Nominee here!!! That is something I'll never forget.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
mcg said:
StumptownGriz said:
I feel like we are still a year away. Excited to watch this extremely young team develop. I think this year will say a lot about where this team and coaching staff is headed in the next 2-3 years. Should be one of the more exciting Springs we've had.

Hes got two more years

I hope Stitt gets three more years here. I know the buck stops at the head coach as it should.
However the o-line issues, the youth on the coaching staff are things that will improve this year and even more so next year. I want to see what he can do between now and when this years rs frosh are seniors.
I like the talent he has brought in and love the staff he has assembled.
I like his chances to take Montana back to the top more then starting over next year with a new staff.

getgrizzy said:
go96griz said:
Football was flat out not very good during the Delaney years. He tried to make JJ into an under the center pro style qb and it wasn't until he let him operate out of the gun that we ended up having the one good season while losing at home to CCU in the cold bowl. I like Mick; he is a very good guy and he came along at the right time for what should have been only one season, but his time was also the source of our very poor o-line recruiting which has significantly impacted the last few years of team production. Nobody can argue that the roster isn't loaded with a great deal of talent now. I like the program building that is going on by emphasizing team building, individual accountability, instilling leadership in young players, and bringing in quality academic athletes that really feel they are going to be part of something special. Stitt is trying to change the culture and so far he has mixed results. The coaching needs to show marked improvement this season or else some new coach is going to inherit a great deal of talent next year.

What a bunch of flat out jibberish. If it wasn't good under Delaney, then it really sucks under Stitt. Delaney did a ton to change the culture in terms of team building, accountability, leadership here and if Stitt is changing it from what Delaney instilled, then we all need to brace ourselves. Under Delaney, the culture was better than it had been in at least 15 years. Maybe ever. He's as upstanding of a coach as we've ever had. No need to change the culture.

I liked Mick, but from a coaching perspective he didn't exactly nail down the winning culture!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
mcg said:
StumptownGriz said:

Hes got two more years

I'm all about 2-3 more years but only if we make the playoffs and show we can finish a season strong. That was always the Cats problem under Ash. They started strong but fizzled down the stretch. I want a team that gets better each weak, peaks at the right time, finishing strong.

grizfan406 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
mcg said:
StumptownGriz said:

Hes got two more years

I want a team that gets better each weak, peaks at the right time, finishing strong.

Your lips to someone's ear. Anything like last years collapse & they should show him the door.

Mavman said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
mcg said:
StumptownGriz said:

Hes got two more years

I hope Stitt gets three more years here. I know the buck stops at the head coach as it should.
However the o-line issues, the youth on the coaching staff are things that will improve this year and even more so next year. I want to see what he can do between now and when this years rs frosh are seniors.
I like the talent he has brought in and love the staff he has assembled.
I like his chances to take Montana back to the top more then starting over next year with a new staff.

I agree... I hope his success starts to show...I'm a firm beleiver that you shoul dgive most coaches 5 years to get their program up and going, baring any glaring or obvious lack of ability to run a program or legal issues.

By than a coach gets his recruits in his system and the mentality that he wants the program to have pretty well established....

3 years is just too short of time at any leavel...coaches that step right in and have immediate success within the first 2-3 years are an anomaly. NDSU doesnt count for obvious reasons.

HookedonGriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
get'em_griz said:
kemajic said:
Really?

Delaney-1
Stitt-0

Advantage Stitt

POTY Nominee here!!! That is something I'll never forget.

Agree with that. I still remember watching and thinking, "I know they kicked off to start the game..."

Copper Griz said:
Spanky said:
The caddy left with Bobby Hauck.

Completely disagree. Pflu absolutely had the program headed in the right direction. The Caddy was about to roll over the BSC and potentially there would have been a NC appearance. Bummer that the JJ situation happened and Rolls rolled his Pinto management style into town. Everyone is always worshiping BH. He was a great coach, but he left on his own voltition. He left - he was not fired or shown the door. Everyone is enamored with a coach who left the program voluntarily for greener pastures. I wish him nothing but the best of of luck, but he shot himself in the foot if he thought he was going to get the job back. (Never confirmed that he wanted it back, but sure a lot of noise around that topic). Stitt is here. Has the recruits in house that could take the program back to where it once was. I hope he does.

I agree with Copper, I think Stitt has brought in some athletes that can take us back to the promise land. I am betting on him for next year. I also agree, Pflu had the program headed in the right direction and as stated before, had already put in place education on respecting women etc and even had a mandatory meeting on subject. Also provided info on harm of drinking, started program on improving grades and was about to do a program on nutrition. He disciplined where necessary-IMO. His two mistakes: 1) Trying to run a west coast offense with Bobby Ball personal his first year. He should have phased it in, thus the first year was a bust. 2) Defending JJ in front of an idiot head-up his ass journalist. MD then came in and tried to run Bobby Ball with Robin Ball personal. MD should have been one and done.

Liked what I saw today. Nice positive and instructive practice. 11 on 11 twice. Very athletic team.

All 3 QB's can throw, have good size, and looked mobile or fairly mobile. Guessing they are all B's or better. Hopefully, better.

Tons of receivers, very athletic and fast. 82 and 19 are the 2 stud frosh redshirts. 19 is quite tall. All receivers caught the ball well. Ferriter is apparently on the receivers regarding catching the ball.

D-line, as stated in article, is good and deep. Shaw, the MD transfer, is huge. 6'5", 310. Mobile and fast. Didn't like MD's idea to move him to o-line.

Favors has really bulked up. Green seems to have talent at rb. Secondary seems to have considerable athletic talent. Tons of receivers, Including some walk-ons.

Talked briefly or said hi to Stitt, Semore, JB, Travis, Ferriter. Coaches were friendly and seeming to like being back on the field. Troxel's wife and 2 young kids were there. Green said Nguyen was not slow. Ha. No other fans that I saw. I was on the field, so great view. Still lots of snow just off field, with lots of rubber on it. UM may suck out some rubber and replace with cork, to keep field cooler in the early hot games. Coach from a small Wisconsin school observing. Coached against Stitt at Mines. Nice guy. Another coach has been around observing. Nolan S may have gone to a DIII back east.

Obviously, very limited view. But I feel good about the team, and better than before I went to practice.

PlayerRep said:
Liked what I saw today. Nice positive and instructive practice. 11 on 11 twice. Very athletic team.

All 3 QB's can throw, have good size, and looked mobile or fairly mobile. Guessing they are all B's or better. Hopefully, better.

Tons of receivers, very athletic and fast. 82 and 19 are the 2 stud frosh redshirts. 19 is quite tall. All receivers caught the ball well. Ferriter is apparently on the receivers regarding catching the ball.

D-line, as stated in article, is good and deep. Shaw, the MD transfer, is huge. 6'5", 310. Mobile and fast. Didn't like MD's idea to move him to o-line.

Favors has really bulked up. Green seems to have talent at rb. Secondary seems to have considerable athletic talent. Tons of receivers, Including some walk-ons.

Talked briefly or said hi to Stitt, Semore, JB, Travis, Ferriter. Coaches were friendly and seeming to like being back on the field. Troxel's wife and 2 young kids were there. Green said Nguyen was not slow. Ha. No other fans that I saw. I was on the field, so great view. Still lots of snow just off field, with lots of rubber on it. UM may suck out some rubber and replace with cork, to keep field cooler in the early hot games. Coach from a small Wisconsin school observing. Coached against Stitt at Mines. Nice guy. Another coach has been around observing. Nolan S may have gone to a DIII back east.

Obviously, very limited view. But I feel good about the team, and better than before I went to practice.

Thanks for the report. Glad to see some football talk!

Gallatin Griz said:
What Hooked said! Thanks, PR. Keep the updates coming, please.

I will be at Big Sky/Bozeman for spring break. Will try to give a Cat spring ball report, "out of respect for the rivalry". Ha, joke.

PlayerRep said:
Gallatin Griz said:

I will be at Big Sky/Bozeman for spring break. Will try to give a Cat spring ball report, "out of respect for the rivalry". Ha, joke.

"Out of respect for the rivalry", you better say the Cats look like garbage. :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
Gallatin Griz said:

I'm at Huntley Lodge this weekend. Are you by chancing skiing Big Sky Sat/Sun.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Player, you have been somewhat critical of Stitt's program. I find it very encouraging that you posted many positive things. I am hopeful that he can turn the corner. Thanks!

VimSince03 said:
PlayerRep said:
Gallatin Griz said:

"Out of respect for the rivalry", you better say the Cats look like garbage. :thumb:

I generally call them as I see them, whether it's Griz/Cat or Dartmouth/Harvard. There is never any "hatred". I am not blinded by competition or rivalries. Dartmouth/Harvard was an intense rivalry in my day, and I still don't love Harvard. However, I can still appreciate when the Harvard women hoops team knocks off no. 1 seed Stanford, or when Jeremy Lin of Harvard does well in the NBA. In fact, I affirmatively like that.

go96griz said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Player, you have been somewhat critical of Stitt's program. I find it very encouraging that you posted many positive things. I am hopeful that he can turn the corner. Thanks!

Don't think I've been particularly "critical" of Stitt's program. Yes, I've joined in some discussions. However, I like Stitt and think he is more likely than not to get it going at UM. Of course, after the end of last season, I'm not betting the ranch on that. I am rooting for Stitt and the team. Lots of athletic talent out there. Hopefully, a strong o-line will emerge, and a qb will step up. Stitt is a very competitive guy, and no one wants him to succeed at UM more than he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back