• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

S Utah Game Thread

Does anyone else believe having the top teams continue to win helps the griz long term. In my opinion, we need the top big sky teams to continue winning, to bolster our record.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What a weird game. The engine was sputtering during the first half but the Griz came alive in the second half. What I love about this team this year is that they are able to make adjustments at the half and carry out the plan. Every game in conference we have been generally better than the first half. Maybe NoCo was the exception but that was the refs fault.

I was wondering why Timmy wasn't playing much in the second and then realized he had 4 fouls pretty early on. He and Nicholas are going to be so fun to follow the next 3+ years.

Yet again, these Griz found a way to scrap and pull out a good win despite a weak first half. Defense and rebounding are our staple and the guys clearly have bought into that notion that no matter what, there is no excuse for poor D play.

The Flippin vandals cannot get their graphics right! The Bears did not have 55 as stated above keep rolling back-and-forth back-and-forth. The graphics are rolling like a slot machine! Now the bears are up 56 to 41.

Give credit to SUU, they came out very physical in the first half and threw the Griz off their game. It took 10-12 minutes for the Griz to adjust and punch back. Refs were allowing a lot of contact in the first half. Akoh was being doubled up, I thought there should have been some whistles on a few of those missed shots.

Defense was key again tonight. Griz won by a lot of points, but it wasn’t a pretty game. Shots weren’t falling for a lot of our guys, especially early. Defense kept them on the game until Oguine got going.

I like to see the Griz challenged and have to adjust, and they adjusted well tonight.

Nice win. 8-0 in conference. Student section was great tonight, it’s nice to have them back! Now, can we flipping get 5000 people there on saturday night?

HookedonGriz said:
Glad Griz have A struggling SUU tonight bc this is not their best night. They are having a tough time making baskets

Only shooting 35%

Didnt get to watch the game. Maybe SUU was struggling because of how we played. A lot of BSC teams will struggle or appear to not be at their best against us

cmtgrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
Glad Griz have A struggling SUU tonight bc this is not their best night. They are having a tough time making baskets

Only shooting 35%

Didnt get to watch the game. Maybe SUU was struggling because of how we played. A lot of BSC teams will struggle or appear to not be at their best against us
Griz definitely deserve credit for SUU’s performance. They completely shut down the T-birds from the arc. I think SUU came to play, and challenged the Griz early, the Griz responded and shut them down.

Griz suffocate T-Birds for 8th straight Big Sky win
https://skylinesportsmt.com/griz-suffocate-t-birds-for-8th-straight-big-sky-win/

Just home from the game. Thankfully the GRIZ take so much pride in defense. The GRIZ offense could not throw it in the ocean the 1st 12 minutes, yet were still in the game, thanks to the defense.

Speaking of defense, this year's team is by far the best defensive team I've watched. All 8 players in the rotation bust ass, move their feet (I've not seen any team this season move like this GRIZ defense), and just refuse to give in. Seriously, it is almost impossible to get an uncontested shot, let a lone make a shot against this defense. Penetrating off the dribble is difficult too. Teams are consistently having forwards trying to go 1 on 1 against the GRIZ bigs by handling the ball on top. Conventional guard and perimeter play is shutdown by this defense. They also play tenacious, tough defense EVERY possession. Seriously, they just don't give in EVER on defense. Defense, rebounding, and guard play, this team can play with or hang with most teams in the country. Because of those things, they are plenty capable of pulling off an upset or 2, as a 12 to 15 seed (praying we make the tournament).

Bobby Moorehead is becoming the "glue" to this team. He scores when needed, plays absolutely terrific defense, and somehow manages to get 6+ rebounds per game. The last few games he has flirted with double doubles. Timmy Falls and Pridgett are not far behind him in doing little things well too. Falls has quick hands too.

Karl Nicholas, must have close to a 7' wing span. He contests shots every damn time someone gets the ball into the paint. He may not get a high number of blocks, but he influences shots so well. He jumps high and quick. He blocks shots after players release a shot and the ball is almost 11 to 12 feet in the air. I project him as a 2+ block shots per game player, once he is averaging 20+ minutes per game (which could be next season). He is as athletic as they come in this conference.

Speaking of athleticism, 6 of the 8 rotational players are quick, great leapers, and athletic. Oguine and Nicholas have high end athleticism. Rorie, Pridgett, Falls, Moorehead all have quick feet and great athletes with good to great verticals. Akoh is strong with surprising quickness for a post player his size. Krslovic, is solid, and plays with great position.

If the GRIZ had 1 more 6'8" plus true athletic post, they could be a top 30 team come season's end. Who knows, they may still get there. I am thinking that is likely a year away though. this a rare team in being able to win, even when the offense struggles. DEFENSE, REBOUNDING, and tenacity are staples in this team. They absolutely believe they can shut down their opponents. I just hope and pray they can sustain what they are doing. #colormeimpressed

HookedonGriz said:
grizonbob said:
HookedonGriz said:
Stiles scores 26 for lady Griz in comeback win!

I watched the Lady Cat/Lady Griz game and was impressed by how Stiles came in and gave the Lady Griz a real spark....

May be sexist to say, but she's certainly easy on the eyes, too....

If the ladies can say JLM is hot then we can say Stiles is easy on the eyes haha

Stiles is also very friendly and personable. And, yes, pretty. She obviously had an unbelievable game tonight. Pretty amazing.

Spuds lose on their home floor by 17 to noco tonight. Following the game Verlin said that noco "is the team to beat" in the bsc.

Perhaps he's not smart enough to read the standings, but noco is 3 full games behind the GRIZ.

GO isu.

EverettGriz said:
Spuds lose on their home floor by 17 to noco tonight. Following the game Verlin said that noco "is the team to beat" in the bsc.

Perhaps he's not smart enough to read the standings, but noco is 3 full games behind the GRIZ.

GO isu.

Well what else you gonna say about a team that just rolled you on your home court? :lol: :lol:

EverettGriz said:

GO isu.
I don't see Verlin's statement to be totally absurd. Watching UNC here I see them as a very good team. We will have a difficult time beating them on their home court. Also we have a tough away schedule left. It is possible to pick up three losses. Our defense is so good, it always keeps us in games, but the rest of the season is still in front of us.

EverettGriz said:

GO isu.
All winning the season title gets us is a higher seed, no home court advantage. We would still most likely face a stiff test in Reno. So his team to beat statement may hold some value.

EverettGriz said:
Along those same lines, I think the Vikings are the team to beat in the Super Bowl.

As they say on egriz, defense wins championships, and the Vikes had the best defense in the NFL this year.

cmtgrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:

Only shooting 35%

Bad wording, I meant a Southern Utah team who has been struggling all season. Yes the grizzly defense absolutely stifled them like we do most teams this year

LivingstonNative said:
The Flippin vandals cannot get their graphics right! The Bears did not have 55 as stated above keep rolling back-and-forth back-and-forth. The graphics are rolling like a slot machine! Now the bears are up 56 to 41.

Your online score keeper neighbor in Bozeman is no better... takes so long to update baskets it's a wonder he/she remembers to do it at all. Must be a multitasker preoccupied with more important stuff. Lame...

Latest posts

Back