• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Reese Phillips Mint Interview

alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
... So I think I’m coming at this from a different point of view. Your defending the journalist’s right (or freedom) to ask the questions he wants to get his story and I get that. There are interviews that do need to be handled that way. I think the reason for the reaction to most on this thread is they see a Griz family member being asked a loaded question and are coming to his defense letting Mint know it wasn’t appreciated.
He does have that freedom. Since I'm "old school" (or just old), I believe that any specially-granted freedom (and it is specially granted, not a "natural right," BTW) comes with an attendant responsibility. That responsibility is to use his/her privileged position wisely and fairly.

So in terms of "incentives," I totally agree with those who jumped on the interviewer -- to let him know that his approach "was not appreciated" and that he should avoid the attempt at sensationalism in the future.

But to then dismiss the entire interview as worthless is neither fair nor smart. The interviewer did not try to belabor the Stitt-Hauck point, and conducted an informative and balanced interview the rest of of the way. The results were well worth hearing, and (in my view) only enhanced Reese's stature.

And now we have reached our conclusion. I agree with all you say there. It’s been a pleasure debating this with you in a very cordial way.

See PR, it’s not hard to debate and not come off as being rude and insulting. :thumb:

You two have been complete cocks to each other throughout this entire evolution and as a result I have blocked you. I can’t read any more of your attack-mode drivel. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
... So I think I’m coming at this from a different point of view. Your defending the journalist’s right (or freedom) to ask the questions he wants to get his story and I get that. There are interviews that do need to be handled that way. I think the reason for the reaction to most on this thread is they see a Griz family member being asked a loaded question and are coming to his defense letting Mint know it wasn’t appreciated.
He does have that freedom. Since I'm "old school" (or just old), I believe that any specially-granted freedom (and it is specially granted, not a "natural right," BTW) comes with an attendant responsibility. That responsibility is to use his/her privileged position wisely and fairly.

So in terms of "incentives," I totally agree with those who jumped on the interviewer -- to let him know that his approach "was not appreciated" and that he should avoid the attempt at sensationalism in the future.

But to then dismiss the entire interview as worthless is neither fair nor smart. The interviewer did not try to belabor the Stitt-Hauck point, and conducted an informative and balanced interview the rest of of the way. The results were well worth hearing, and (in my view) only enhanced Reese's stature.

And now we have reached our conclusion. I agree with all you say there. It’s been a pleasure debating this with you in a very cordial way.

See PR, it’s not hard to debate and not come off as being rude and insulting. :thumb:

You two have been complete cocks to each other throughout this entire evolution and as a result I have blocked you. I can’t read any more of your attack-mode drivel. :lol:

Az, obviously you’ve never debated the game before. ;)

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I’m sorry, did you say something? I have you blocked. :| :|

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Wow! "Attack mode." And not one swear word, personal reference, or even flat-out "you're wrong." Just a matter where we seemed to disagree -- some of it largely semantic -- and we threshed it out. Admittedly, a public fan forum is hardly the ideal venue to work out such differences ... but it can be done, and IMO we managed. But people are "entitled to their own opinion." As for being blocked ... I've only ever "Foe'd" one poster, who seemed to delight in personal innuendo and acrimonious debate. Fortunately that screen name (not necessarily person) is long gone. Even after the spat with PR, I did not block him because I respect and value his information and opinions.

Bottom line: We (all of us, I believe) agree that Reese Phillips is a class guy and should not have had to put up with any of this.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Wow! "Attack mode." And not one swear word, personal reference, or even flat-out "you're wrong." Just a matter where we seemed to disagree -- some of it largely semantic -- and we threshed it out. Admittedly, a public fan forum is hardly the ideal venue to work out such differences ... but it can be done, and IMO we managed. But people are "entitled to their own opinion." As for being blocked ... I've only ever "Foe'd" one poster, who seemed to delight in personal innuendo and acrimonious debate. Fortunately that screen name (not necessarily person) is long gone. Even after the spat with PR, I did not block him because I respect and value his information and opinions.

Bottom line: We (all of us, I believe) agree that Reese Phillips is a class guy and should not have had to put up with any of this.

Easy there killer. AZ has a wild sense of humor....most of the time.

PlayerRep said:
It's a terrific interview. The first question was fine. Long interview, but well worth listening to.

Good insight on Stitt. Some on Hauck. He's been told he's likely to get a 6th year to play. Has graduated. Will rehab in Missoula. If he can run by summer, he's been told he'll get picked up somewhere. Just learned that he doesn't have to be in school this spring to play next fall.

Said offense was much simpler last fall, compared to the prior year. Said he and Jensen could play fast, but that BG was better at checking into plays. Says Jensen will be a great player.

He loved the fans and traditions at UM. Came to UM because his friend the former Kentucky OC knew Stitt and recommended him. Said he was perhaps bit disrespectful to the Cats before the game, but the Cat fans were good to him. Said a couple times that the Cats played very well and deserve credit. He didn't like the day or losing, though.

When asked who on the team he would not like to get in a fight with, he said Buss, or maybe Strahm, but came back to Buss. Said they were 2 of the toughest guys he's ever been around.

For Missoula bars, he said he was more a classy place guy. Meagher Bar. Also Iron Horse, Mentioned Mo Club.

Worst place to play in Big Sky. No. Colorado. Not just the facility and small crowed, but the smell from the cow pastures was horrible. Said he felt like he was hallucinating from the smell by the end of the game.

Thanks!

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:

And I shouldn’t have to put up with your inability to detect sarcasm, but there it is. :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
... And I shouldn’t have to put up with your inability to detect sarcasm, but there it is. :lol: :lol:
Oh, okay. My bad :oops: :oops:

We got a bit too serious, I guess. Mea culpa. As I said to 'Bama in a PM, I don't like to get cross-wise with anybody ... way too old for that s**t.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
... And I shouldn’t have to put up with your inability to detect sarcasm, but there it is. :lol: :lol:
Oh, okay. My bad :oops: :oops:

We got a bit too serious, I guess. Mea culpa. As I said to 'Bama in a PM, I don't like to get cross-wise with anybody ... way too old for that s**t.

For the record, about 98.6% of my posts are sarcasm. So read them in that vein.... :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

My hope is that all the thin-skinned posters, know-nothing posters, and jerks, block me, so that we can have better discussions without them and their BS. You know who you are.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:

My hope is that all the thin-skinned posters, no-know nothing posters, and jerks, ublock me, so that we can have better discussions without them and their BS. You know who you are.

I will never block you PR, how will I know when to pick on you?

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

My hope is that all the thin-skinned posters, no-know nothing posters, and jerks, ublock me, so that we can have better discussions without them and their BS. You know who you are.

Great, but I wish everyone but my friends would block me. I'd prefer that only the good people would see and get the benefit of my posts. I don't me to be inappropriate, but I truly don't care what anyone from Alabama thinks, except Alabama coaches and players, and the ghost of the Bear.

What if they discussed it before they started recording and it was explained to Phillips it was more of a joke question due to how most of griz nation felt about Stitt? Just a thought but it seemed like it could have been talked about before recording started

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Great, but I wish everyone but my friends would block me. I'd prefer that only the good people would see and get the benefit of my posts. I don't me to be inappropriate, but I truly don't care what anyone from Alabama thinks, except Alabama coaches and players, and the ghost of the Bear.

Luckily for me, I was “Made in Montana”. Due to the Grizzly fan relocation program to spread us around the country, I’ve been relocated to Alabama. There ain’t many of us down here but I have made a few more Montana fans since relocating. Also, I know you care or you wouldn’t respond. :cool:

Well my perspective on the whole Montana Mint thing. Some dudes got together some being Griz fans & some being cat fans & doing this podcast thing throughout the season. I assume they are not professional journalists nor pretend to be. I listened to there podcasts throughout the season & found them entertaining. Give them a freaking break!

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:

What are you talking about...he's the master debater! Sheesh...or maybe just a jerk off. Who knows! :D I kid...i kid...

Montana Mint said:
PlayerRep said:
It's a terrific interview. The first question was fine. Long interview, but well worth listening to.

Good insight on Stitt. Some on Hauck. He's been told he's likely to get a 6th year to play. Has graduated. Will rehab in Missoula. If he can run by summer, he's been told he'll get picked up somewhere. Just learned that he doesn't have to be in school this spring to play next fall.

Said offense was much simpler last fall, compared to the prior year. Said he and Jensen could play fast, but that BG was better at checking into plays. Says Jensen will be a great player.

He loved the fans and traditions at UM. Came to UM because his friend the former Kentucky OC knew Stitt and recommended him. Said he was perhaps bit disrespectful to the Cats before the game, but the Cat fans were good to him. Said a couple times that the Cats played very well and deserve credit. He didn't like the day or losing, though.

When asked who on the team he would not like to get in a fight with, he said Buss, or maybe Strahm, but came back to Buss. Said they were 2 of the toughest guys he's ever been around.

For Missoula bars, he said he was more a classy place guy. Meagher Bar. Also Iron Horse, Mentioned Mo Club.

Worst place to play in Big Sky. No. Colorado. Not just the facility and small crowed, but the smell from the cow pastures was horrible. Said he felt like he was hallucinating from the smell by the end of the game.

Thanks!

Perhaps a lesson learned?

If the goal is to expand your following and be taken seriously, it sounds like this type of question isn’t going to be effective (see the ratio of support above).

If that is not the goal, continue to ask these questions. When you’re not taken seriously, you will likely not have many substantive guests on the show in the future.

Good luck

alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

There was nothing rude and insulting in my posts that were done ahead of your post. My posts were my opinion, matter of fact in presentation, and I'm the only one who bothered to summarize the interview for the board. I find it interesting that everyone seems to be entitled to an opinion except me. If I disagree with others views, like in this thread, then people start complaining and crying, and claiming that my disagreement is rude and insulting. This board has too many crybabies, in my view.

In this thread, I value only the opinion of the most knowledgeable person regarding the interview, MontanaMint.

Fathergriz said:
What if they discussed it before they started recording and it was explained to Phillips it was more of a joke question due to how most of griz nation felt about Stitt? Just a thought but it seemed like it could have been talked about before recording started

I wondered the same thing. I thought Phillips answered the question well, perhaps because he was ready for it.

Back