• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruiting tactics

bgbigdog said:
blackfootipa said:
So.... wild that they would offer kids that they (any coaches) haven't met on a personal level at all.

Seems legit for state ag.

Choate heavily recruited Washington while at UW and Boise State so nearly all of the high schools already had a pretty good relationship with Choate prior to him taking the MSU job. Choate made Kane Ioane the PNW recruiter (specifically the state of Washington) for the Cats last year and he has built some inroads at good programs around the state. So it would be pretty naive to think the Cats haven't met the kid on a personal level since they have already been recruiting them during the 2016 season. Wouldn't be surprised to see more and more players from Washington on the Bobcats roster each year. Man...I love talking about the Bobcats with you guys everyday on Egriz. ;)

Not to mention former MSU star Joey Thomas coaching at Garfield HS as well as MSU's connections to east side catholic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
G-BEARS said:
Alaska Griz said:
G-BEARS said:
Eastern, MSU, and many other Big sky schools battled, both winning and losing recruits against Mt West (etc.) conferences. I don't think it says as much as you think.

Impossible to say at this point. If Stitt ends up here for a good chunk of time and this corp of kids gels and we have a lower turnover ratio than normal and win alot of games and graduate alot of kids, then we may look back and think...that questionaire, etc. was a solid idea. Not to say he invented the process by any means, but if we end up with a great team in a couple of years then the idea won't seem as conservative.

Totally agree with you, not sure what it has to do with my post though. But yeah, you're right.

But I think it's a good point to my post. We just don't know right now. Stitt this year didn't offer recruits until they at least took their visit in the fall. The year before he started offering recruits at camp during the summer and that seemed to work better. 40 offers seems like a low net when MSU probably made 40 offers just yesterday, time will tell. Stitt definitely has his own way to run a program and it's not always conventional.

Both years there were offers made out of camp. 13 of the 18 kids who signed with Montana came to one of the summer camps

I saw many of those offers were 3 star kids. Thank goodness that means we have nothing to worry about. Remember Choate talked about his awesome strategy of pulling offers from three star kids once someone else starts recruiting them. This is how they beat the Griz in every recruiting battle in-state and out-of-state. Very clever strategy.

HookedonGriz said:
I saw many of those offers were 3 star kids. Thank goodness that means we have nothing to worry about. Remember Choate talked about his awesome strategy of pulling offers from three star kids once someone else starts recruiting them. This is how they beat the Griz in every recruiting battle in-state and out-of-state. Very clever strategy.

Careful, Vim is very sensitive.

VimSince03 said:
bgbigdog said:
blackfootipa said:
So.... wild that they would offer kids that they (any coaches) haven't met on a personal level at all.

Seems legit for state ag.

Choate heavily recruited Washington while at UW and Boise State so nearly all of the high schools already had a pretty good relationship with Choate prior to him taking the MSU job. Choate made Kane Ioane the PNW recruiter (specifically the state of Washington) for the Cats last year and he has built some inroads at good programs around the state. So it would be pretty naive to think the Cats haven't met the kid on a personal level since they have already been recruiting them during the 2016 season. Wouldn't be surprised to see more and more players from Washington on the Bobcats roster each year. Man...I love talking about the Bobcats with you guys everyday on Egriz. ;)

I live in a perpetual state of naiveté, but you already knew that.

There's a school of thought around being first & staying connected, wouldn't fault anyone for taking a position and following it through. But what's also naive is believing they've had the chance to thoroughly vet a HS junior when you were there to see other kids. Take a swing @ a bunch of 3 star kids & see who might stick is a strategy - but don't try to sell me on Choate, et.al, being out ahead of the curve because of all the time they put in last year. There's no risk here.

G-BEARS said:
HookedonGriz said:

Jesus :lol:

Griz til I die said:
G-BEARS said:
HookedonGriz said:

Jesus :lol:

iregretnothing_zps3402d221.gif

G-BEARS said:
HookedonGriz said:

No he's not. Vim is an awesome poster and does more homework than everyone on this board combined. While he is a cat fan, he is very objective and he will point out cases where UM does beat out Bozeman in recruiting.

He's by far the best source for in state recruiting information....period.

brewskis said:
G-BEARS said:
HookedonGriz said:

No he's not. Vim is an awesome poster and does more homework than everyone on this board combined. While he is a cat fan, he is very objective and he will point out cases where UM does beat out Bozeman in recruiting.

You're right. He's also very sensitive. So are you.

G-BEARS said:
brewskis said:
G-BEARS said:
HookedonGriz said:

Obviously by responding so are you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

brewskis said:
G-BEARS said:
HookedonGriz said:

I'm griz to the bone,,,,but vims knowledge in this state regarding football and recruits can not be disputed and I believe him to be as objective as any fan could be....

ordigger said:
G-BEARS said:
brewskis said:
G-BEARS said:

Obviously by responding so are you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one.

I see the cats have offered the whole town of Bakersfield for the 2019 class. I guess if you cast a big enough net earlier enough you're bound to catch one.

VimSince03 said:
dayday said:
VimSince03 said:
Somehow I knew this page would turn into a "UM's recruiting strategy is better than MSU's strategy".

I don't think anyone can say which way is better right now but they are definitely different approaches.

Exactly. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.

According to their twitter, here are the players from Washington who have received offers from MSU:

Nash Fouch - 3-star Safety - Woodinville High School
Tre Weed - 3-star ATH - Sumner Senior High School
Jovan McConico - 3-star Safety - Garfield High School
Cole Ramseyer - 3-star TE - Coeur D'Alene High School (Basically Washington :roll: )
Daniel Arias - 3-star WR - Henry M Jackson High School
Jesiah Irish - 3-star WR - Mount Si High School
Malik Putney - 3-star Safety - Eastside Catholic High School
Anthony Stell - 3-star WR - Rainier Beach High School
Jarrell Anderson - 3-star TE - Bethel High School
Micah Smith - 3-star RB - Graham Kapowsin High School
Matthew Cindric - 3-star OT - Skyline High School

So it is 11 players from 11 different high schools around the state of Washington. What a shocker that they get an offer from a FCS school trying to get more players from a state that has been dominated by rival schools in their conference...

Did the cats get any of these players? The Griz have signed one and the rumor is there may another defensive one on the way.

go96griz said:
VimSince03 said:
dayday said:
VimSince03 said:
Somehow I knew this page would turn into a "UM's recruiting strategy is better than MSU's strategy".

I don't think anyone can say which way is better right now but they are definitely different approaches.

Exactly. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.

According to their twitter, here are the players from Washington who have received offers from MSU:

Nash Fouch - 3-star Safety - Woodinville High School
Tre Weed - 3-star ATH - Sumner Senior High School
Jovan McConico - 3-star Safety - Garfield High School
Cole Ramseyer - 3-star TE - Coeur D'Alene High School (Basically Washington :roll: )
Daniel Arias - 3-star WR - Henry M Jackson High School
Jesiah Irish - 3-star WR - Mount Si High School
Malik Putney - 3-star Safety - Eastside Catholic High School
Anthony Stell - 3-star WR - Rainier Beach High School
Jarrell Anderson - 3-star TE - Bethel High School
Micah Smith - 3-star RB - Graham Kapowsin High School
Matthew Cindric - 3-star OT - Skyline High School

So it is 11 players from 11 different high schools around the state of Washington. What a shocker that they get an offer from a FCS school trying to get more players from a state that has been dominated by rival schools in their conference...

Did the cats get any of these players? The Griz have signed one and the rumor is there may another defensive one on the way.

This about Tre Weed? Or another? Weed went on a OV to Ewu, no commit yet. Havent seen much UM stuff from him tho.

I’ve been hearing for a while that there was strong interest in Malik Putney. He has a big connection as well since he is related to Griz guard Ahmaad Rorie. I was told Malik was tripping to UM soon, possibly this weekend or next. I haven’t been able to confirm this weekend so I’m thinking next weekend when many recruits are coming.

go96griz said:
I’ve been hearing for a while that there was strong interest in Malik Putney. He has a big connection as well since he is related to Griz guard Ahmaad Rorie. I was told Malik was tripping to UM soon, possibly this weekend or next. I haven’t been able to confirm This weekend so I’m thinking next weekend.

Hope you're right and this isnt a peek into the future.

https://twitter.com/_mputney3/status/954891806658904064

I see he had an OV in Cheney last week too.

Latest posts

Back