• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

QB competition

I think that Stitt has already picked his starter, as he will go with the senior, until something else clicks. In my opinion it is Reese's to make it or break it. Hill has the fast track in the race for back up.MHO

retiredfan said:
I think that Stitt has already picked his starter, as he will go with the senior, until something else clicks. In my opinion it is Reese's to make it or break it. Hill has the fast track in the race for back up.MHO

Great. But what are you basing your opinion on, exactly? Just your gut? That is fine, but I would love to hear why you think he has the fast track, especially when the coaches depth chart seems to be the opposite on the back up position.

To answer the question posed in the comment above, Jensen has had a decent amount of reps with the ones but nowhere near what Phillips has. Hill has had next to no reps with the ones, of what I have seen.

grzz said:
retiredfan said:

Great. But what are you basing your opinion on, exactly? Just your gut? That is fine, but I would love to hear why you think he has the fast track, especially when the coaches depth chart seems to be the opposite on the back up position.

To answer the question posed in the comment above, Jensen has had a decent amount of reps with the ones but nowhere near what Phillips has. Hill has had next to no reps with the ones, of what I have seen.

One way of getting confidence in the pick is to watch which players, including qb, are featured in Griz videos, tickets, and pre-season info. Rarely is a player not expected to start featured in these things.

It won't matter who the QB is if this team does not establish some semblance of a running game. Last year the team became one dimensional. Way to easy to defend. I am hopeful this year will be different. Sounds like the O Line has improved/matured.

Stitt decided to go with Phillips all along. He has said from the very beginning, back in early spring, that Phillips was the guy, based on the fact that he has been with the team longer and formed bonds/friendships with the players--he said because of that, the other players will play harder for Phillips. And THAT is what this team is working towards this season, UNITY.

I like Phillips and Hill, both are talented and will be very good QBs this season, I think Jensen will be super down the road...

HookedonGriz said:
I believe 100% Stitt will give Reese the start in the first game. He has all but said so and all indications of reps and his interviews are showing this. It is Reese's job to lose at this point.

However, I don't believe Stitt will be completely hitched to just one QB (finally) and will go "next man up" mode the minute the starter is not meeting expectations. So if Reese dominates Valparaiso and has a good showing at Washington, then he's the guy. If not, I can see Jensen or Hill getting the ball quickly and holding on to it as long as they produce. It's actually a good problem to have.

Good post.

And Phillips should DOMINATE Valpo, they are predicted to finish 10th out of 11 teams in the weak Pioneer:

Pioneer Football League
2017 Preseason Coaches’ Poll

San Diego
Dayton
Marist
Drake
Campbell
Jacksonville
Butler
Morehead State
Stetson
Valparaiso
Davidson

When was the last time you remember a season where the anointed one went wire to wire, minus any garbage time? Be glad you've got three guys who look like they can play a little bit. Likely going to need all three before all is said and done.

bgbigdog said:
When was the last time you remember a season where the anointed one went wire to wire, minus any garbage time? Be glad you've got three guys who look like they can play a little bit. Likely going to need all three before all is said and done.

Very true!!

bgbigdog said:

This is actually a great point that many are missing. The QB ranks generally are in really good shape. While the first fall scrimmage didn't have one guy dramatically out-pace any other, we did see Phillips move the offense with far greater consistency than the other two. However, both Hill and Jensen have made some plays and had some success in both spring and fall scrimmages. Add in, Stitt has not had a single starting QB make every start the whole season. We're presumably going to need each one of these guys to be ready.

BWahlberg said:
bgbigdog said:

This is actually a great point that many are missing. The QB ranks generally are in really good shape. While the first fall scrimmage didn't have one guy dramatically out-pace any other, we did see Phillips move the offense with far greater consistency than the other two. However, both Hill and Jensen have made some plays and had some success in both spring and fall scrimmages. Add in, Stitt has not had a single starting QB make every start the whole season. We're presumably going to need each one of these guys to be ready.

If #1 or #2 break the the GRIZ record for tossing TD's will they still get a chance to play.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Stitt decided to go with Phillips all along. He has said from the very beginning, back in early spring, that Phillips was the guy, based on the fact that he has been with the team longer and formed bonds/friendships with the players--he said because of that, the other players will play harder for Phillips. And THAT is what this team is working towards this season, UNITY.

I like Phillips and Hill, both are talented and will be very good QBs this season, I think Jensen will be super down the road...

Am I missing something? Haven't Phillips and Jensen both been here the same amount of time? I think it's a foregone conclusion who the starter will be as Phillips gets nearly all of the 1st team reps. But this is why I'm not yet on board with those that think this is a 9-2, 8-3 or even a 7-4 team right now. I just don't have confidence yet in the QB situation. I just hope one of these guys, and I don't really care which one, changes my mind quickly.

Griz2k said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Am I missing something? Haven't Phillips and Jensen both been here the same amount of time? I think it's a foregone conclusion who the starter will be as Phillips gets nearly all of the 1st team reps. But this is why I'm not yet on board with those that think this is a 9-2, 8-3 or even a 7-4 team right now. I just don't have confidence yet in the QB situation. I just hope one of these guys, and I don't really care which one, changes my mind quickly.

Phillips was here for Spring Practices and played in several games last season (though very limited, only a few passes). Jensen was a true Freshman last season and Red Shirted so did not join the team until Fall I believe.

Copper Griz said:
It won't matter who the QB is if this team does not establish some semblance of a running game. Last year the team became one dimensional. Way to easy to defend. I am hopeful this year will be different. Sounds like the O Line has improved/matured.

I think that a more mobile QB helps negate this. Just the thought of a QB keep can cause just enough hesitation for a hole to open/stay open. This will help overall run game in my opinion. I looked at last years stats and average was 4.4 ypc for the season. If that number is near 5 for the season, much better results will be had. Doesn't seem like much, but 1/2-1 ypc is a solid improvement. That is an accumulation of a lot of things: better holes, QB mobility, less sacks (since that counts in rushing stats in college). That also means that most likely the RB average is higher as well due to the sack situation. I'd like to see 5.5+, but that's quite a bit of a jump.

Triwest said:
Griz2k said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Phillips was here for Spring Practices and played in several games last season (though very limited, only a few passes). Jensen was a true Freshman last season and Red Shirted so did not join the team until Fall I believe.

Ah yes, spring vs fall of last year. I believe you're correct.

IntuitiveGriz said:
...they (Valparaiso) are predicted to finish 10th out of 11 teams in the weak Pioneer:

Pioneer Football League

San Diego
Dayton
Marist
Drake
Campbell
Jacksonville
Butler
Morehead State
Stetson
Valparaiso
Davidson

That Valparaiso seems pretty positive on their upcoming season may make pre-season prognosticators doing doubles on their next bar hopping tour: http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2017-18/17487/crusaders-readt-to-begin-2017-fall-camp/#.WZfB01WGO2w

WyomingGrizFan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
...they (Valparaiso) are predicted to finish 10th out of 11 teams in the weak Pioneer:

Pioneer Football League

San Diego
Dayton
Marist
Drake
Campbell
Jacksonville
Butler
Morehead State
Stetson
Valparaiso
Davidson

That Valparaiso seems pretty positive on their upcoming season may make pre-season prognosticators doing doubles on their next bar hopping tour: http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2017-18/17487/crusaders-readt-to-begin-2017-fall-camp/#.WZfB01WGO2w

Yeah, they'll finish 4th or 5th

mtgrizfankb said:
Reese is the leader. Reese is "the guy" to them and he allows them go make plays and the WRs love that. I have 0 doubt that Reese will start. HIll I think is a really good player and not a drop off if Reese goes down, but Reese has the leg up and it would take a real bad week for him to lose the job. Hill will be a great QB next year and Jensen...is gonna be in the same spot hill is next year. very talented but someone who is just as talented and more experienced in front of him.

I noticed that Reese Phillips has the same jersey number he had in high school; number 11. I don't foresee Him doing much less than what he shows in the following:

http://www.247sports.com/Video/Reese-Phillips-2011-College-Recruitment-Video-485495?View=Full

So, sit back and enjoy. Geez. What a bunch or worry warts.

His main problem is going to be figuring out who his top five or six or so pass receivers are going to be from a stable of a dozen or so.

One of these years we should look ahead and play the talented youth and prepare him for next year instead playing the oldest player all the time, just because he is the oldest,it doesn't, always pay off.. I ave watched both NDSU and EWU sit very good sr. players to prepare their youth for the future and both ended up getting multiple great years from their young QB's just because they got the chance!!! I would like to see Caleb Hill a chance more sooner than later!!! RP might very well be the better right now but he can't help us next year or the year after!!! Wince sat to play the younger guy at North Dakota State and Eastern Washington sat their older guy to play youth, last year, he ended up being the best QB in the league, last year! "Just saying" :) :)

i_the_sky said:
One of these years we should look ahead and play the talented youth and prepare him for next year instead playing the oldest player all the time, just because he is the oldest,it doesn't, always pay off.. I have watched both NDSU and EWU sit very good sr. players to prepare their youth for the future and both ended up getting multiple, great years from their young QB's just because they got the chance!!! I would like to see Caleb Hill get a chance more sooner than later!!! RP might very well be the better right now but he can't help us next year or the year after!!! Wince sat to play the younger guy at North Dakota State and Eastern Washington sat their older guy to play youth, last year, he ended up being the best QB in the league, last year! "Just saying" :) :)

Back