• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pflugrad

kemajic said:
RABIDAWG said:
Redemption in Zootown would be firing Haslam & getting O'Day and Pflu back. :cool:
The only mistake I have seen from Haslam was his hiring of Stitt in favor of some very good candidates. He has done a wealth of other good things and deserves more than one mistake. Retaining Stitt if things keep going this direction would be a bigger mistake.

Just curious Kem, but would you list these very good candidates?

HelenaHandBasket said:
fanofzoo said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Pretty sure Pflu is a no go.

How about royce?

What about Royce?

Pretty sure Royce can't coach and I KNOW he can't kick, so I don't see him coming back either.

BTW:
Pflugrad to Playoffs: 50% (or zero depending on how you look at it)
Mick to play offs: 66%
Stitt to Playoffs: 50%

kemajic said:
RABIDAWG said:
Redemption in Zootown would be firing Haslam & getting O'Day and Pflu back. :cool:
The only mistake I have seen from Haslam was his hiring of Stitt in favor of some very good candidates. He has done a wealth of other good things and deserves more than one mistake. Retaining Stitt if things keep going this direction would be a bigger mistake.

Who were the other candidates anyway? I can't remember. :?:

To answer your first question, it is doubtful pflu will coach at UM again, and in fact it may be that he won't get another shot at d1 again. The UM (more specifically engstrom) really messed up that guys career and in my opinion hurt UMs reputation within the coaching community.

As to why pflu was fired, it was politics. Pflu had the misfortune of taking over a team that already had a reputation for having several questionable characters any given season under hauck. Then beau Donaldson, jordy Johnson, trumaine johson (am I forgetting anyone?) all got in legal trouble within a few months. When pflu stood behind jordy and made a statement about his good character, engstrom. Well u know the rest. The legal issues and bad press were the main reasons IMO, but there were academic issues at play as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know everyone says it will never happen, but I believe it could; but only with the backing of the major donors. I recall my freshman year, when Dennison took over for Koch- the first thing he did was inform the athletic department (football team in particular) that they were facing major budgetary cuts, because UM was going to be academia first. If my memory serves, he was singing a different tune within about 48 hours after many, major, donors threatened to pull all financial support.

Now, take that with a grain of salt, as it was 30 years ago.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
It was politics. Plain and simple. Pflu had the misfortune of taking over a team that already had a reputation for having several questionable characters any given season under hauck. Then beau Donaldson, jordy Johnson, trumaine johson (am I forgetting anyone?) all got in legal trouble within a few months. When pflu stood behind jordy and made a statement about his good character, engstrom. Well u know the rest. The legal issues and bad press were the main reasons IMO, but there were academic issues at play as well.

What academic issues?

Yes, lots of bad press then. Tru pled nolo to disorderly conduct and has made $33 million the past 2 years. Engstrom wanted Oday to get rid of him and then not let him use the weight room early the next winter. O’Day resisted. Yes, Donaldson had had his thing, which got reported 16 months later, during the bad press. Too bad for the girl, whom I dont know, but I will still support Donaldson in the future. JJ should not have had any charge brought against or had a school problem. Never lost his scholie or got kicked out of school. Played 2 mores years. Graduated and now married. F Engstrom, the Dean, Florio and whomever made the decision to charge him. Also Pat Williams. Was over the hill Long ago. Really a bad person. May they all rot in hell. Truly bad and despicable people, in my view.

I applaud Pflugrad and Oday for sticking up for what was right, and for a fight fighter like Dave Paoli. They can play on my team any day, and if I am in a jam, I will look for paoli.

jcu27 said:
Alll I know is Stitt doesn't have stit on Pflu. Was watching some games last night and Damn I sure do miss that offense!

+1. I firmly believe UM would have won 1 or more championships by now had pflugrad been at the helm

Fushiznitz said:
I know everyone says it will never happen, but I believe it could; but only with the backing of the major donors. I recall my freshman year, when Dennison took over for Koch- the first thing he did was inform the athletic department (football team in particular) that they were facing major budgetary cuts, because UM was going to be academia first. If my memory serves, he was singing a different tune within about 48 hours after many, major, donors threatened to pull all financial support.

The day that boosters influence coaching hires or personnel changes with their checkbooks, would be the day that I would withdraw my support for the program.

I think it is pretty telling that after 3 games fans are calling for Stitt's head. I don't disagree for the most part. I thought 2 years were enough to show some progress.
but that was not the case. We were lead to believe that he was some sort of offensive mastermind.
well......

How about coach Greg... ?

Sam A. Blitz said:
Fushiznitz said:

The day that boosters influence coaching hires or personnel changes with their checkbooks, would be the day that I would withdraw my support for the program.

Boosters, with or without checkbooks, influence coach selections every single time a coach is selected. So, feel free to withdraw your support.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
What academic issues?

Academic issues that were hinted at in the investigation report, which stated that 2 athletes competed while ineligible.

Wasn't academic problems. It was Kemp/Tru. They were deemed to have gotten a small amount of free legal services (even tho the law firm was representing them on a contingency fee basis, in hopes of setting up and evaluating a civil case against the cops), and then played a few games (or at least Tru did). That's my recollection.

PlayerRep said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
Fushiznitz said:

Boosters, with or without checkbooks, influence coach selections every single time a coach is selected. So, feel free to withdraw your support.

Correct ,people that refuse to believe this are naive

Sam A. Blitz said:
Fushiznitz said:

Holy sh1t. I hope you aren't this naive in real life.

The day political donors influence elections with their checkbooks will be the day that I withdraw my support for America.

The academic problems belong to Stitt and there is some concern....

The Montana football team's APR had been steadily climbing since falling below the 930 mark at 929 for 2010-11. A 972 for 2013-14 helped the program reach 938 before last year's 937 dropped it slightly to the average.

The multi-year average of 937 represents the second-worst APR among the Big Sky Conference's 13 football-playing teams ahead of only Weber State's 931 -- as was the case for 2013-14 as well. UC Davis leads the way in that category at 981, followed by Idaho State's 977 and Montana State's 965.

The FCS average for football is 954.

Crock. Stitt has done fine with Jensen. A couple fewer drops and some help from the D and we'd have won that game.

PlayerRep said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
Fushiznitz said:

:lol: yeah, I laughed out loud at his post.

Back