• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Coach Fired?

kemajic said:
Zirg said:
I don't know what Joe Glenn is doing these days, but his dream job was always Nebraska and I would, personally, take Glenn over Bohl, but I agree Riley is GONE!
Joe is waiting on his 69th birthday and was 12-34 (6-26 conf.) in his last gig at his alma mater, South Dakota. Don't think he makes the list.

Agreed. Joe is done coaching.

Riley is out at Nebraska. Maybe he can go back to the pac 12 where they don’t play defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riley officially out a Nebraska.

Chip Kelly officially in at UCLA.

If you like the drama of the college coaching carousel, it’s a good year for you!

dupuyer griz said:
Riley is out at Nebraska. Maybe he can go back to the pac 12 where they don’t play defense.
Took them a bit longer than I expected ... but less than a day.

Also saw the announcement that Chip Kelly is on his way to UCLA.

Hot times in the "musical chairs" game. :lol: :lol:

Edit: Boy, I thought I was being quick. :?

Since FCS doesn't get much (any?) coverage from the big boys, I wondered what the coaching carousel looked like at that level. (Even STATS.com FCS doesn't do much, although they did have a short item about Stitt not being renewed.)

Anyway, hard to dig up, but here's what I found in more or less that past week. They included a bunch in the HBCU ranks:
Mississippi Valley State, Rick Comegy (6-38)
Arkansas Pine Bluff, Monte Coleman (40-70)
Alabama A&M, James Spady (15-30)
Florida A&M, Alex Wood (15-30)
Hampton, Connell Maynor (20-25)
Delaware State, Kenny Carter (3-30)

Most of these guys got four years and the Pine Bluff coach got ten. Four years is also what Robert Morris gave their guy, John Banaszak, who went 8-34. But Marcus Satterfield (6-16) got just two at Tennessee Tech (I'm guessing there's more to that story).

As a kinda aside, Portland State also fired their Defensive Coordinator, for some “strange reason.” Of course, it might have something to do with the fact that PSU ranked #121 (out of 123) in scoring defense in 2017 … giving up 473 points (43.0 ppg).

billgrizfan said:
Stitt? Might as well if your are considering Kelly!
Your point is? Or is there one?

As for Kelly to UCLA: Collegiate head coaching (Oregon) record: 46-7. He took Oregon to big-money bowls every year he was there, including one BCS playoff try, and ended up 2-2 in the post-season. Yes, Oregon did get sanctions for some weird “infraction” in the use of “scouting services” -- but the NCAA can always “get” someone if they want to.

Sure, he tubed his NFL career, although he did end up with a winning record at Phillie (no small achievement, all things considered).

I assume that, for some reason, you personally dislike Kelly ... which is allowed for any fan. But I'm totally confused by your post. Too much Thanksgiving schnapps left over?

PlayerRep said:
Maybe TG with Baldwin to Oregon St?

Opening for Pflu as an assistant at AZ St.?

I did read that Baldwin recommended TG to Choate so that could make some sense. I figured if he doesn’t get someone from Cal’s defensive staff he will get the Eastern D-coordinator.

Arizona State will be looking at Sumlin and Derek Mason. I doubt Pflu would be hired but maybe his son has a shot.

dayday said:
PlayerRep said:
Maybe TG with Baldwin to Oregon St?

Opening for Pflu as an assistant at AZ St.?

I did read that Baldwin recommended TG to Choate so that could make some sense. I figured if he doesn’t get someone from Cal’s defensive staff he will get the Eastern D-coordinator.

Arizona State will be looking at Sumlin and Derek Mason. I doubt Pflu would be hired but maybe his son has a shot.

Baldwin and TG are friends. Think they or another EWU coach have lake houses near each other. When TG left UM, he was asked to be co-DC at EWU. Don't recall who was involved then, or who EWU DC's have been.

Pflu coached at AZ St for 6 years.

1991–1994 Montana (AHC)
1995–2000 Arizona State (WR/RC)
2001–2005 Washington State (TE/RC/AHC)
2006–2008 Oregon (WR)
2009 Montana (WR)
2010–2011 Montana
2013 Weber State (OC/RB)
2015-2016 Phoenix College (OC)
2017-present Phoenix College

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Todd Graham out at Arizona State.
After 7-5 and beating Udub, Oregon and rival Arizona. He wasn't the answer to restore their tradition. Stitt supporters quit crying; there are programs that want to excel, not just roll along.

kemajic said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Todd Graham out at Arizona State.
After 7-5 and beating Udub, Oregon and rival Arizona. He wasn't the answer to restore their tradition. Stitt supporters quit crying; there are programs that want to excel, not just roll along.

:clap:
I think BH knows 7-4 ain't gonna keep him employed.

Back