• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Coach Fired?

dupuyer griz said:
mtgrizrule said:
dirtysoup said:
Scott Frost seems logical, but a name I haven't heard at all is Les Miles. Not saying he would fit at Nebraska necessarily, but you would think someone would be interested...

In no particular order, the names I hear most are Frost, Kelly, Miles, Campbell (Iowa State HC), and Ken Niumatalolo (Navy HC). The Husker fans are really split on Kelly.
Husker fan here and Kelly can take his bullshit offense and piss up a rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Huskers are my favorite BCS/FBS program. I am not a Kelly fan either. Many Husker fans want someone that can bring back overall toughness and defense.

mtgrizrule said:
dupuyer griz said:
mtgrizrule said:
dirtysoup said:
Scott Frost seems logical, but a name I haven't heard at all is Les Miles. Not saying he would fit at Nebraska necessarily, but you would think someone would be interested...

In no particular order, the names I hear most are Frost, Kelly, Miles, Campbell (Iowa State HC), and Ken Niumatalolo (Navy HC). The Husker fans are really split on Kelly.

The Huskers are my favorite BCS/FBS program. I am not a Kelly fan either. Many Husker fans want someone that can bring back overall toughness and defense.

Not a Huskers fan (Oregon is my FBS team), but I know that one of Nebraska's best traditions is the Blackshirts. They need to bring back the nastiness to that side of the ball.

dirtysoup said:
mtgrizrule said:
dupuyer griz said:
mtgrizrule said:

Not a Huskers fan (Oregon is my FBS team), but I know that one of Nebraska's best traditions is the Blackshirts. They need to bring back the nastiness to that side of the ball.

Manny Diaz (Miami's DC) has popularized that turnover chain. Maybe they hire him and he starts the turnover corn cob! :lol:

dirtysoup said:
dirtysoup said:
mtgrizrule said:
dupuyer griz said:

Manny Diaz (Miami's DC) has popularized that turnover chain. Maybe they hire him and he starts the turnover corn cob! :lol:

Huskers couldn't afford a Canes waterboys salary.

I don't know what Joe Glenn is doing these days, but his dream job was always Nebraska and I would, personally, take Glenn over Bohl, but I agree Riley is GONE!

There is 1 thing that may save Riley. Can they justify paying 3 coaches, if they were fire him? They would be paying Pelini (sp?), Riley, and whoever the new coach would be. Then again, it looks to me that he has lost this team. They also have some big boosters that might help with finances.

As of now (could change at any time), the Next Coach Fired turned out to be Tennessee's Butch Jones.

As for Riley, it's close ... but he's not gone yet.
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171112123818095035308&ref=hea&tm=&src=

Fairly long article, but here are a few key quotes:
“Eric Olson said:
Nebraska coach Mike Riley is out of answers and in two weeks very well could be out of a job.
Calls from the fan base imploring new athletic director Bill Moos to make a coaching change are only growing louder, and sports columnists for the state's two largest newspapers suggested that Moos consider firing Riley immediately.
"When you lose a game because the team runs the ball down your throat, that is a team thing," said FS1 analyst Dave Wannstedt, a former NFL and college head coach. "You see someone throw up a jump ball, it's one guy (versus) one guy and the ball comes down and one guy makes a play. When you get run on like today, 400 yards, that's 11 guys responsible for stopping the run.
"This is a tough loss for that Nebraska team, unfortunately. Mike Riley is a good friend of mine. You know the old expression, `Lose some games but don't lose the team.' I'm afraid that these guys have just semi-packed it in."
The Huskers finish the regular season at Penn State next week and at home against Iowa on the day after Thanksgiving. They will not be favored in either game, and if they lose out, they would end with their fewest wins since Bill Jennings' last team went 3-6-1 in 1961.

BigPapa406 said:
dirtysoup said:
dirtysoup said:
mtgrizrule said:

Nebraska has money out the ass. They have so much without any clear idea on how to spend it.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
BigPapa406 said:
dirtysoup said:
dirtysoup said:

Nebraska has money out the ass. They have so much without any clear idea on how to spend it.

I guess if they take out a loan. There is a coach at Youngstown still collecting checks. The alumni has money and lots of it. But they don't write the coach's check. Be interesting to see how the AD goes through the process. Do you think he reads a fan internet board and makes the decision that way?

Zirg said:
I don't know what Joe Glenn is doing these days, but his dream job was always Nebraska and I would, personally, take Glenn over Bohl, but I agree Riley is GONE!
Joe is waiting on his 69th birthday and was 12-34 (6-26 conf.) in his last gig at his alma mater, South Dakota. Don't think he makes the list.

IdaGriz01 said:
As of now (could change at any time), the Next Coach Fired turned out to be Tennessee's Butch Jones.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21393623/tennessee-volunteers-see-four-decommitments-butch-jones-firing

So here's a follow-up question, based on the fact that Nebraska, in front of a home crowd, is getting its a** kicked by Iowa -- currently 35-14, but there plenty of time left. (I thought about a poll, but said, Nah!!)

(1) Will Riley be fired before the game is over? The Huskers look awful, BTW.
(2) If not, how long after the game will the announcement come? Five minutes? An Hour? A day? A week?

Inquiring minds want to know.

IdaGriz01 said:
So here's a follow-up question, based on the fact that Nebraska, in front of a home crowd, is getting its a** kicked by Iowa -- currently 35-14, but there plenty of time left. (I thought about a poll, but said, Nah!!)

(2) If not, how long after the game will the announcement come? Five minutes? An Hour? A day? A week?

Don’t know what you’re talking about, he’s an offensive genius. Give him time...

If big red were on the road they might not let him ride the plane home with the team.

IdaGriz01 said:

I’m guessing Riley is out by Monday. Wednesday at the latest.

Just saw that Arkansas fired their coach just 30 minutes after their last game. That was fast. Nebraska may not wait...

PDXGrizzly said:
Just saw that Arkansas fired their coach just 30 minutes after their last game. That was fast. Nebraska may not wait...
Ouch!

So we're thinking ... two minutes. After all, Arkansas was at least in the game until near the end. Nebraska is getting killed in the second half (I see Iowa just scored again).

ordigger said:
Frost is interviewing with Florida now

Hm. I’d have thought he’d be interested in coming to Missoula ;)

In all reality, he might also be talking with the AD from his alma mater. He did beat Peyton Manning once upon a time in the Orange Bowl...

Back