• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Love me some Stitt

daGrizJ said:
First, I don't think there are many coaches that could have taken the crap the Griz have been through in the last few years and turned us onto a contender in 1 or 2 years. That's just beyond expectations, IMO. Am I sure Stitt is the answer? No, after last year, not yet. But...considering the high quality of players that have committed to this program, coaches, and "system" since the change I feel the corner has been turned.

Second, I think the idea that this O needs a superior QB to be successful is incorrect. What it needs is a balanced offense, with a smart athletic QB, and a solid D. Three things that have been lacking, but I feel are being built upon. There were several years at CSM where they had a 1000, or close, yrd RB to support the QB. Yes, a running game. Imagine that. The QB does needs to be able to read defenses and adjust at the line. That's what separates this spread O from most of the others. The QB has to think. Stitt's O gives the QB a good deal of power in that respect. Brady, when he wasn't scared, beat the 4 time FCS champions with this scheme. When he was scared, he checked down to 50 bubble screens. With the quality of WRs on this team, a QB who can move, even just a little, to allow them time, will be a nice asset. All of this needs a strong OL, which isn't unusual in elite teams.

Third, we still have a ways to go to achieve this,folks. I support giving it some time.

He does have some time. He has an entire season. His players...his coaches...his system.

Excuses are expired. Coaching transition is over. Player turnover is over. Coaching adjustments are complete. It's time to win. He knows it.

daGrizJ said:
First, I don't think there are many coaches that could have taken the crap the Griz have been through in the last few years and turned us onto a contender in 1 or 2 years. That's just beyond expectations, IMO. Am I sure Stitt is the answer? No, after last year, not yet. But...considering the high quality of players that have committed to this program, coaches, and "system" since the change I feel the corner has been turned.

Second, I think the idea that this O needs a superior QB to be successful is incorrect. What it needs is a balanced offense, with a smart athletic QB, and a solid D. Three things that have been lacking, but I feel are being built upon. There were several years at CSM where they had a 1000, or close, yrd RB to support the QB. Yes, a running game. Imagine that. The QB does needs to be able to read defenses and adjust at the line. That's what separates this spread O from most of the others. The QB has to think. Stitt's O gives the QB a good deal of power in that respect. Brady, when he wasn't scared, beat the 4 time FCS champions with this scheme. When he was scared, he checked down to 50 bubble screens. With the quality of WRs on this team, a QB who can move, even just a little, to allow them time, will be a nice asset. All of this needs a strong OL, which isn't unusual in elite teams.

Third, we still have a ways to go to achieve this,folks. I support giving it some time.

"When Brady wasn't scared." Ha. Get real.

More like when Brady wasn't throwing to Jones, Henderson and Roberts.

sdk.catfish said:
by Sam A. Blitz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 pm

1. I'm impressed with he did at Mines. When it comes to NCAA football programs in the Western U.S. Mines is among the very most difficult to recruit to. You have a very limited pool of athletes you can recruit, so it is difficult to maintain strong depth of talent. You can't ignore that when analyzing his record at Mines.

2. It doesn't take players much longer to learn this system than other systems.

3. See #2. He had to pick up a transfer because of the gap. Our depth would have been extremely young and inexperienced this year had he not picked up Phillips last year.

Sorry, I simply disagree with most of your post. History is history. Stitt has a record of a good season followed by several poor to average seasons. I guess many Griz fans on this board are willing to settle for that but I am not. There is no record of a Stitt dynasty. Secondly many Stitt supporters on this board have belabored how long it takes to learn the system as an excuse for more time for Stitt. You apparently disagree with that but at some point we can't have it both ways. I am not naive enough to think there didn't need to be a back-up plan at quarterback but I'm not sure that even last year, if Jensen had started and letting the redshirt go, the record would have been much worse than 5-6. I mean what is the difference in mediocre if it means a year of QB experience. What if Hill starts for 2 years and Jensen is a Jr? What if Jensen says the hell with recruiting transfers and leaves? Difference of opinion and no ill will meant. This season might tell the tale but history shows us good Stitt seasons are followed by poor or average Stitt seasons.

I don't think there are very many coaches in the country that could build a dynasty at Mines. Hard to build depth and consistency when you can only recruit A students with high test scores. Imagine if Montana had those barriers, we would never have had our run and we wouldn't have 2 NC banners.

I'm not saying your concerns aren't credible though. The last half of last season is concerning. I really don't think you can dismiss that. However, I am not ready to give up on the coaching staff. They have a plan in place and will need to show lots of improvement this year to finish their plan. It can be done. See what EWU did last year compared to ending their 2015 season with 3 straight losses. Stitt should be given support to prove if he can pull off something similar or not, IMO.

I don't see what Stitt is doing with the QB position as any different than what most coaches would have done in a similar situation though. If Jensen can't win the job next season, he may leave, but that happens in a lot of programs to some very highly ratet QB's. It's best for the program that Stitt brings in at least one viable QB recruit each year to bring steady depth and competition to that position.

Sam A. Blitz said:
sdk.catfish said:
by Sam A. Blitz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 pm

1. I'm impressed with he did at Mines. When it comes to NCAA football programs in the Western U.S. Mines is among the very most difficult to recruit to. You have a very limited pool of athletes you can recruit, so it is difficult to maintain strong depth of talent. You can't ignore that when analyzing his record at Mines.

2. It doesn't take players much longer to learn this system than other systems.

3. See #2. He had to pick up a transfer because of the gap. Our depth would have been extremely young and inexperienced this year had he not picked up Phillips last year.

Sorry, I simply disagree with most of your post. History is history. Stitt has a record of a good season followed by several poor to average seasons. I guess many Griz fans on this board are willing to settle for that but I am not. There is no record of a Stitt dynasty. Secondly many Stitt supporters on this board have belabored how long it takes to learn the system as an excuse for more time for Stitt. You apparently disagree with that but at some point we can't have it both ways. I am not naive enough to think there didn't need to be a back-up plan at quarterback but I'm not sure that even last year, if Jensen had started and letting the redshirt go, the record would have been much worse than 5-6. I mean what is the difference in mediocre if it means a year of QB experience. What if Hill starts for 2 years and Jensen is a Jr? What if Jensen says the hell with recruiting transfers and leaves? Difference of opinion and no ill will meant. This season might tell the tale but history shows us good Stitt seasons are followed by poor or average Stitt seasons.

I don't think there are very many coaches in the country that could build a dynasty at Mines. Hard to build depth and consistency when you can only recruit A students with high test scores. Imagine if Montana had those barriers, we would never have had our run and we wouldn't have 2 NC banners.

I'm not saying your concerns aren't credible though. The last half of last season is concerning. I really don't think you can dismiss that. However, I am not ready to give up on the coaching staff. They have a plan in place and will need to show lots of improvement this year to finish their plan. It can be done. See what EWU did last year compared to ending their 2015 season with 3 straight losses. Stitt should be given support to prove if he can pull off something similar or not, IMO.

I don't see what Stitt is doing with the QB position as any different than what most coaches would have done in a similar situation though. If Jensen can't win the job next season, he may leave, but that happens in a lot of programs to some very highly ratet QB's. It's best for the program that Stitt brings in at least one viable QB recruit each year to bring steady depth and competition to that position.

Even if Jensen doesn't win the QB battle this year, I don't see him bolting. If he's as good as advertised, he'll have just as good a shot taking over the reigns in 2018 as any of the other QBs competing.

I wouldn't bet against Jensen. I like what I've seen out of the young QB so far. He'll have every chance to win the job and will either earn that job or not. There are some other good QB recruits coming in that will push him too. As a player, you should thrive on that competition. No coach should worry about a player leaving because they can't earn their desired spot.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
The_Real_Chief said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:
The problem with "believing in the system" or "trusting the process" is that it is so highly dependent upon a truly gifted QB which we have not seen yet, and I'm skeptical there will be one this year.

This is accurate...if Stitts team has Carson Wentz that first year we are probably at the very least in the semi finals.

I like Gus as a guy..but he was not the QB we were going to ride to the deep playoff runs....he just wasnt.

Did you know Gus as a guy? No way you knew him as well as PR probably did.

I mean he frequently comes to my cabin up on Flathead..along with Dave D and Jesus Christ....I'm best friends with most every person thats ever played football in Montana....

I often let them come around and I'll serve them brunch followed afterwards by a nice romp with the wife...but I mean come on..I got all the inside info so its totally worth it.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

brewskis said:
reinell30 said:
How come the QB that is in the pipeline is always better then the one we have? I think Phillips will do just fine. If not, Jensen will take over the show. We have very gifted QB's on this team already!
Just speaking to the future and stability. I'm really high on Caleb Hill. I think he could take us on a deep playoff run next season or possssssibly this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this as well. I have heard that Jensen and Hill have struck up a pretty good friendship and really push each other in drills.

Back