• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let the coaching Carousel begin...

PDXGrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:
Mike Riley was the best thing to ever happen at OSU, but Beavers fans couldn't see it because they were chasing Chip Kelly's Ducks.

Mike's not the most popular guy in Lincoln right now. I doubt OSU would ever bring him back, but if Mike would have them, they should welcome him back with open arms.

Corvallis is a tough place to recruit coaches and players to in the context of the Pac 12.
It's about as tough as Pullman is. But Riley was able to get some stellar kids in the past.
Curiosity (no "agenda," really), having been to both places.

Pullman is an okay city, with some decent attractions, and it's not too far from some gorgeous country in Idaho (Lake Coeur d'Alene being at the top). But it's pretty isolated when you get right down to it (the airport is a joke). And you're an hour's drive from a freeway that goes anywhere.

Have to say, on balance, that -- from what we've seen -- Corvallis is a more attractive city, with a wider variety of attractions. And it's not that far to drive to some beautiful Pacific beaches. Its air service is also lame, but you're only 10-15 minutes off a main N-S freeway.

So why is Corvallis considered such a hard place to recruit to?

Corvallis is overshadowed by the larger town of Eugene to the south. Yes the coast isn't far away, the freeway is close, and there are outdoor rec opportunities around, but that's about it. It's too far from a bigger city like Portland and it's consistently overshadowed by the much wealthier and famous school to its south. OSU is more of an engineering and ag school (and a pretty good one) but it just has the small town vibe that Pullman has. Recruiting into it with all the flash next door in Eugene is difficult.

PDX nailed it. OSU in a hard spot competing with UO to the south and all that school has to offer especially when it come to athletic facilities.
OSU is an engineering, agricultural and marine science school that has not have a lot of splash honestly. It sort of a Mayberry sort of place compared to Salem, Eugene and Portland. That’s personally why I think a coach Like NDSU coach would do well in Corvallis. You need to recruit kids that like it low key and quite. For the most part I think those are the kinds of kids Riley recruited.

PDXGrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:
Mike Riley was the best thing to ever happen at OSU, but Beavers fans couldn't see it because they were chasing Chip Kelly's Ducks.

Mike's not the most popular guy in Lincoln right now. I doubt OSU would ever bring him back, but if Mike would have them, they should welcome him back with open arms.

Corvallis is a tough place to recruit coaches and players to in the context of the Pac 12.
It's about as tough as Pullman is. But Riley was able to get some stellar kids in the past.

Pullman is an okay city, with some decent attractions, and it's not too far from some gorgeous country in Idaho (Lake Coeur d'Alene being at the top). But it's pretty isolated when you get right down to it (the airport is a joke). And you're an hour's drive from a freeway that goes anywhere.

Have to say, on balance, that -- from what we've seen -- Corvallis is a more attractive city, with a wider variety of attractions. And it's not that far to drive to some beautiful Pacific beaches. Its air service is also lame, but you're only 10-15 minutes off a main N-S freeway.

Corvallis is overshadowed by the larger town of Eugene to the south. Yes the coast isn't far away, the freeway is close, and there are outdoor rec opportunities around, but that's about it. It's too far from a bigger city like Portland and it's consistently overshadowed by the much wealthier and famous school to its south. OSU is more of an engineering and ag school (and a pretty good one) but it just has the small town vibe that Pullman has. Recruiting into it with all the flash next door in Eugene is difficult.

Like I said, much more succinctly..."they're not Oregon".

IdaGriz01 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:

I think if you are a PAC 12 talent, and you can choose from Los Angles, the Bay Area, Seattle, Boulder, Nike U, Tempe, Tucson and even Salt Lake, Corvallis (and Pullman) could be pretty underwhelming. The Pac 12 is the Hollywood of P5 conferences.

I've spent some time in Corvallis and think it's a great campus, and a nice college town...just not flashy like most of the rest of the pac 12.

Living in Portland, I always seemed to have more of a connection the Beav's fans than Ducks fans.

Rocky Long could be a great choice. SDSU has been a good team out of MWC, he must have SoCal recruiting contacts, and at his current salary of around $800,000, they could easily bump that up quite a bit to get him. Heck Mike Leach (albeit a more famous resume) is getting almost $3 mil. at Wazzu and he'll be worth every penny if both Wazzu and UW are unbeaten at Apple Cup time.

Currently SDSU is unbeaten and ranked #19 . (And I hear they have great ST's - sorry,I couldn't resist)

Jaredkuehn said:
IdaGriz01 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:

I think if you are a PAC 12 talent, and you can choose from Los Angles, the Bay Area, Seattle, Boulder, Nike U, Tempe, Tucson and even Salt Lake, Corvallis (and Pullman) could be pretty underwhelming. The Pac 12 is the Hollywood of P5 conferences.

I've spent some time in Corvallis and think it's a great campus, and a nice college town...just not flashy like most of the rest of the pac 12.

Living in Portland, I always seemed to have more of a connection the Beav's fans than Ducks fans.
That's because you can't spell '_ umb f_ _ _ _' without 'ducks...'. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back