• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let the coaching Carousel begin...

Grisly Fan said:
PDXGrizzly said:
People out here are pretty shocked. The AD at OSU is an old friend of Andersen's. It genuinely strange. You can see from the players that were interviewed after that they lost all respect for him. He preached resilience, toughness, and team first. Then bails half way through the season. Hypocrisy at its finest. There is some speculation that he had a mental breakdown. Rumors also abound that Jonathan Smith might be in the running. Remember him? He was also one of the best QBs to ever play for OSU. This is gonna be interesting...

He said in the very beginning that if he couldn't win at OSU he'd walk. He hasn't won and so...

Sounds like integrity to me. Timing is tough but it wouldn't be easier later on. At least this gives the team a chance to retool for next year and beyond.

Sorry, you don't quit on your team mid season.

The only rational explanation that anyone is coming up with is that there is some sort of health/psychological issue. One report that I read said that he'd lost 25 lbs so far this season because of it. If that is indeed the case, then I take it all back.

HelenaHandBasket said:
bgbigdog said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
bgbigdog said:
Hauck? That’s got to be a consideration, doesn’t it?

I would say no. OSU needs to make a splash. Haucks effort an UNLV is not what they will or should be looking for.

Was actually a joke, albeit a bad one. Sorry for any confusion in that I have trouble conveying concise, coherent thoughts.

Dropping Stitt would have been funnier.

Jeffy Choate would be funniest.
After he's done at msu, the only place left for him will be joining Krammer as a field hand somewhere in Eastern Washington.

Andersen (Sept. 20):

"I hired the wrong (expletive) guys and are still working our way through a bunch of recruiting years that stunk!! It's year three! If these (expletives) can't get it right I will not just say fire them and start over!! That's not the way to go about it. If I (expletive) it up that bad I will take the bullet and ride off into the sunset! I will stay old school!! I will not die doing this (expletive)!! Stay tuned!"

If Smith gets the head job, I wonder if he will offer Choate the DC job?

Before cats get all upset, Baldwin is precedence. Also know Choate was offered a Pac 12 D Coordinator job over off season and strongly considered it. I don't think this job would be the one to move him, but you never know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I say OSU should go after
1: Johnathan Smith
2: Scott Frost now HC at UCF and was Oregon offensive CO
3: Beau Baldwin
4: Or maybe see what NDSU coach can do in Corvallis. Bring in power football. NDSU has done well as we know against Big 10 schools and well against spread offenses.

Looking like Anderson was a bit unstable at OSU as evident from those text messages. If he is not unstable horrible mistake on his part sending texts like that!

ORGUNGRIZ said:
4: Or maybe see what NDSU coach can do in Corvallis. Bring in power football. NDSU has done well as we know against Big 10 schools and well against spread offenses.

Looking like Anderson was a bit unstable at OSU as evident from those text messages. If he is not unstable horrible mistake on his part sending texts like that!

All are definitely viable with the exception of #2. Scott Frost has more resources and probably a better salary at UCF than OSU is likely to offer. I would love to see OSU get smash-mouth. A hire possibility that's been brought up is Navy's head coach. With Andersen leaving the remainder of his contract, OSU can afford to buy him out.

If Stitt gets hired away as an offensive coordinator (which is entirely possible, even if he hasn't had the most success here), who's our next guy?

I can only hope that it's someone who isn't going to just tear down what we have going here. Lots of G5s and FCS schools lose momentum when a coach gets hired away.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
If Stitt gets hired away as an offensive coordinator (which is entirely possible, even if he hasn't had the most success here), who's our next guy?

I can only hope that it's someone who isn't going to just tear down what we have going here. Lots of G5s and FCS schools lose momentum when a coach gets hired away.

Stitt isn't going to be hired away for an OC position. He's had OC offers before and has always turned those down. He's always said he wants to be the head coach. He'll be at Montana until either 1) he gets a HC offer at a school he wants to go to, or 2) he gets fired. Chances are if Stitt and the team keep improving, he'll be at Montana for several more years before he gets a look at a HC job at the FBS. Even if /when that happens, it'd have to be the right job for Stitt to want to leave Montana.

ORGUNGRIZ said:

Frost has to be #1 on the Husker wish list. I will be surprised if OSU hires a FCS head coach.

Mike Riley was the best thing to ever happen at OSU, but Beavers fans couldn't see it because they were chasing Chip Kelly's Ducks.

Mike's not the most popular guy in Lincoln right now. I doubt OSU would ever bring him back, but if Mike would have them, they should welcome him back with open arms.

Corvallis is a tough place to recruit coaches and players to in the context of the Pac 12.

Jaredkuehn said:
Mike Riley was the best thing to ever happen at OSU, but Beavers fans couldn't see it because they were chasing Chip Kelly's Ducks.

Mike's not the most popular guy in Lincoln right now. I doubt OSU would ever bring him back, but if Mike would have them, they should welcome him back with open arms.

Corvallis is a tough place to recruit coaches and players to in the context of the Pac 12.

It's about as tough as Pullman is. But Riley was able to get some stellar kids in the past.

PDXGrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:

It's about as tough as Pullman is. But Riley was able to get some stellar kids in the past.
Curiosity (no "agenda," really), having been to both places.

Pullman is an okay city, with some decent attractions, and it's not too far from some gorgeous country in Idaho (Lake Coeur d'Alene being at the top). But it's pretty isolated when you get right down to it (the airport is a joke). And you're an hour's drive from a freeway that goes anywhere.

Have to say, on balance, that -- from what we've seen -- Corvallis is a more attractive city, with a wider variety of attractions. And it's not that far to drive to some beautiful Pacific beaches. Its air service is also lame, but you're only 10-15 minutes off a main N-S freeway.

So why is Corvallis considered such a hard place to recruit to?

IdaGriz01 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Pullman is an okay city, with some decent attractions, and it's not too far from some gorgeous country in Idaho (Lake Coeur d'Alene being at the top). But it's pretty isolated when you get right down to it (the airport is a joke). And you're an hour's drive from a freeway that goes anywhere.

Have to say, on balance, that -- from what we've seen -- Corvallis is a more attractive city, with a wider variety of attractions. And it's not that far to drive to some beautiful Pacific beaches. Its air service is also lame, but you're only 10-15 minutes off a main N-S freeway.

Because they're not Oregon. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Because they're not Oregon. :lol:
Yeah, I kinda figured that might be the answer. :?
:lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Corvallis is overshadowed by the larger town of Eugene to the south. Yes the coast isn't far away, the freeway is close, and there are outdoor rec opportunities around, but that's about it. It's too far from a bigger city like Portland and it's consistently overshadowed by the much wealthier and famous school to its south. OSU is more of an engineering and ag school (and a pretty good one) but it just has the small town vibe that Pullman has. Recruiting into it with all the flash next door in Eugene is difficult.

Back