• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

It's official!

Fushiznitz said:
GrizGeneral said:
This is dumb. It's really simple, last weekend was a 3:30 pm game and half our fans come from out of town. With bad weather and a late start, it just made more sense to stay home.

This weekend we played a 2 win team.

That's the whole story.

This.

Having said that, anecdotally, I have several friends who live in Missoula who are choosing not to go to another game while Stitt is head coach. Again, small sample size.

I know a few people like that as well. Maybe not as small as you think, which is really really sad.

I'm looking to get some season tickets....so how do we get this done? Not all of us young fans (31 years old) have given up the faith!

The fan base has been spoiled for so long it's okay by me if a few can't "handle" a 7-3 performance thus far.

grizpsych said:
Griz Man said:
But why? The great sports franchises pro and college are great franchises because their fan base doesn't give up on them. You'll find the Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, USC, Michigan football, etc with occasional mediocre seasons (or more than occasional for the Cowboys) but the fan base stays almost irrationally energized.

Is there something I'm missing? Hunting season...?
Every Cowboy/Yankee season is mediocre.
Clearly Yankee envy.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
Fushiznitz said:
GrizGeneral said:
This is dumb. It's really simple, last weekend was a 3:30 pm game and half our fans come from out of town. With bad weather and a late start, it just made more sense to stay home.

That's the whole story.

This.

Having said that, anecdotally, I have several friends who live in Missoula who are choosing not to go to another game while Stitt is head coach. Again, small sample size.

I know a few people like that as well. Maybe not as small as you think, which is really really sad.

Fucking crybabies....the epitome of a spoiled fan base.

GrizGeneral said:

That's the whole story.
Your first post is what's dumb. Do you drive distances to Missoula for games? I do. The 3:30 start time is perfect as it allows time for an easy drive to the game on gameday. Most fans driving any distance and tailgating stay over Saturday night anyhow. Otherwise why do you suppose Missoula hotels are sold out on game nights? The worst start times are November noon games. Requires a two night stay unless you want to drive in the dark with often bad roads. The attendance for the NAU game was down because of the bloody awful road conditions coupled with a slightly reduced passion for the inconsistent team, not the start time.

kemajic said:
GrizGeneral said:

That's the whole story.
Your first post is what's dumb. Do you drive distances to Missoula for games? I do. The 3:30 start time is perfect as it allows time for an easy drive to the game on gameday. Most fans driving any distance and tailgating stay over Saturday night anyhow. Otherwise why do you suppose Missoula hotels are sold out on game nights? The worst start times are November noon games. Requires a two night stay unless you want to drive in the dark with often bad roads. The attendance for the NAU game was down because of the bloody awful road conditions coupled with a slightly reduced passion for the inconsistent team, not the start time.

My view too. Would only be bad for long distance day trippers. Like 3 hours or less.

HelenaHandBasket said:
CFallsGriz said:
signedbewildered said:
Dunno looks 22,000ish is pretty accurate from my seat. I didn't know we had a 44,000 capacity stadium

Exactly. It was not "half-full." That's an enormous exaggeration. And of course many, many factors play into that, including the fact that it was NORTHERN f***[*] COLORADO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the BSC, they are all pretty much Northern Colorado's. So that is a stupid f***[*] excuse for missing a game.

Say what you will but it plays a role. And please spare me any "good fan" lectures as I was there.

CFallsGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
CFallsGriz said:
signedbewildered said:
Dunno looks 22,000ish is pretty accurate from my seat. I didn't know we had a 44,000 capacity stadium

Exactly. It was not "half-full." That's an enormous exaggeration. And of course many, many factors play into that, including the fact that it was NORTHERN f***[*] COLORADO!

In the BSC, they are all pretty much Northern Colorado's. So that is a stupid f***[*] excuse for missing a game.

Say what you will but it plays a role. And please spare me any "good fan" lectures as I was there.

There are so many schools in this conference that really should not be playing FCS football. It is absolutely embarrassing to go to Portland State and play at that dump in Hillsboro, or whatever high school field Northern Colorado uses.

As a dastardly millennial college student, the games are just...boring. NAU was the most fun I’ve had at a Griz game in a long time, maybe since NDSU.

I don’t have much as to insights into what’s wrong or why it’s become so boring, but it’s just not the same as it was in my undergrad back when Bobby/Pflu were coaching.

It’s not just us, though. It seems the majority that showed up yesterday just waited until the split the pot numbers were up, and then bolted.

You could say it’s just winning/performance, but I’m not even sure that’s the case. Who knows. Could just be effects from last year’s abysmal showing.

uofmman1122 said:
As a dastardly millennial college student, the games are just...boring. NAU was the most fun I’ve had at a Griz game in a long time, maybe since NDSU.

I don’t have much as to insights into what’s wrong or why it’s become so boring, but it’s just not the same as it was in my undergrad back when Bobby/Pflu were coaching.

It’s not just us, though. It seems the majority that showed up yesterday just waited until the split the pot numbers were up, and then bolted.

You could say it’s just winning/performance, but I’m not even sure that’s the case. Who knows. Could just be effects from last year’s abysmal showing.

I too am a dastardly millennial college student and I agree the games do not feel the same as they have in the past. This could have to do with the majority of Big Sky teams being butt.

I have said this before on other threads, but the overall sentiment of faculty and students towards the UofM right now is negative. People just aren't real happy with the previous administration and how things have played out in the last 5 or 6 years. I think this is finally affecting the sports crowd. I know a couple of students that used to love going to games but the UofM isn't a priority for them at the moment.

With that said, I do think that winning will solve this. This team is fun, they stay out of trouble, and I do believe they will be better next year. The fans that left will soon be back and new fans will be created with consistent winning.

Go Griz!

Fushiznitz said:
GrizMusician said:
Fushiznitz said:
GrizGeneral said:

That's the whole story.

This.

FFS... the Griz are 7-3 and your friends are boycotting the team.

YAAGDB....I didn't suggest that their stance is justified. I merely pointed out their opinion, which others could possibly hold, and thus account for a portion of the obvious attendance reduction.

Not trying to shoot the messenger. :lol: Get your friends tuned up, ok? :lol:

Oh, really?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizFB/status/930838456581758977[/tweet]

I’m 30, have season tickets, and drive 250 miles one way to attend games, so there are passionate, dedicated, young griz fans out there...all the while forging a career and starting a family.

The one aspect of the crowd I can’t grasp is the student section. When I attended UM (05-09) it was insanity...actually witnessed someone have a claustrophobic induced panic attack due to overcrowding. Every student I associated with took their fandom seriously. I can buy students being down on the admin, but when you attend classes with these players, get to know these players, you support the players!

On a different note, I spoke to an older alum/donor/season ticket holder who mentioned to me that the quality of the gameday broadcasts have improved so much in the past decade that it makes it easier to stay home at his age when inclement weather hits, or life events come up. I can buy into this a bit, as I can remember as a kid yelling at the tv when the camera man couldn’t follow a play action play...ever! Just another variable to add to the discussion

2017: 141,221, or 23,535 per game

2016: 152,261, or 25,377 per game

Down 1842 per game.

At $30 per ticket, that would be $331,200 less revenue for the year (30 times 11,040)

Cat game in 2016. In 2016, there were 3 games over 26,000, 1 more over 25,000 and 2 more over 24,000. In 2017, no games over 26,000, 2 more over 25,000, 1 more over 23,000 and 3 more over 22,000.

These are fairly big numbers.

2 far away teams flown to Missoula each year. Pay game at UW in 2017.

It has GOT to have something to do with the home schedule.

Valpo?
Savannah St?
UNC?

Those are NOT games that are gonna get anybody jazzed up.

Back