• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

It’s time for a new player discussion-RB’s

PlayerRep said:
Diesel said:
PR what are your thoughts on O’Connell for a young LB he appears to have some good potential.

Don't know. Have been out of the loop, working hard and traveling for a couple months. At my son's school now, Sewanee, for dads' weekend at his frat. They had a crayfish boil yesterday. 550 pounds. Fun and good, despite bad weather. Lots of bands on campus last night. Sewanee is a cool school, a bit of a throwback.

This is Vim’s thoughts on him.
VimSince03 said:
In my opinion, the most notable one on this WO list is Patrick O'Connell. He was the Co-Western AA MVP his senior season for Kalispell Glacier in 2016. He was a Top 30 player on my final Top 50 list for the 2017 Montana Recruiting class. Patrick played in every all-star game at LB and went to U-Mary his first season out of high school. If it doesn't work at LB, he has upside as a TE where he thrived being Tadan Gilman's favorite target their senior season. I saw Patrick started following Griz coaches this January during recruiting season so he must have transferred after this past fall.
Sorry Vim if I stepped on your toes. :D

Again, Who cares who starts? I'm pleased that we have three quality guys and their good health is all I care about ! Justine and Boby will, more than, handle the rotation part of things!
Go Griz!

i_the_sky said:
Again, Who cares who starts? I'm pleased that we have three quality guys and their good health is all I care about ! Justine and Boby will, more than, handle the rotation part of things!
Go Griz!

Masculine form of “Justine” is Justin.

Diesel said:
i_the_sky said:
Go Griz!

Well that’s cus Dutch has said many times he has fat fingers and can’t type very well on his little iPad, that should have a spell checker, unless he turned it off due to the inconvenience of it constantly correcting him.

I like what I've seen out of Eastwood so far, good decisive running for sure. I'm told his areas of needed improvement are pretty common ones seen in younger players, mostly things having to do when he's not carrying the ball like picking up blitzes and passing route running, etc. I think we've got quite the group with Calhoun, Lee, Green, and Eastwood.

I know that Bobby preferred a feature back the last time he was here, mostly Reynolds and then Hilliard before him. But he also had seasons where they used a stable of backs and still got good results from it. I see this season being like that. I still maintain that a healthy Jeremy Calhoun is the best running back we have. I like Lee as a change of pace and pass catching back. I could see that generally Eastwood is more the Calhoun-type while Green a little bit more on the path of the use they'd have with Lee.

BWahlberg said:
I like what I've seen out of Eastwood so far, good decisive running for sure. I'm told his areas of needed improvement are pretty common ones seen in younger players, mostly things having to do when he's not carrying the ball like picking up blitzes and passing route running, etc. I think we've got quite the group with Calhoun, Lee, Green, and Eastwood.

I know that Bobby preferred a feature back the last time he was here, mostly Reynolds and then Hilliard before him. But he also had seasons where they used a stable of backs and still got good results from it. I see this season being like that. I still maintain that a healthy Jeremy Calhoun is the best running back we have. I like Lee as a change of pace and pass catching back. I could see that generally Eastwood is more the Calhoun-type while Green a little bit more on the path of the use they'd have with Lee.
Yeah, before everyone just relegates Jeremy Calhoun to the trash bin, I want to see how he’ll do in an offense where the running game is a lot more fleshed out than Stitt’s simplified run/pass options allowed.

I feel like he’s the most complete back we have, and haven’t seen anything from the other backs that has changed my mind yet (not a knock on them, we’re blessed to have so many capable options, which is a credit to Stitt’s recruiting).

I have a feeling if Calhoun’s starting job was in question, he’d be playing right now.

uofmman1122 said:
BWahlberg said:

Yeah, before everyone just relegates Jeremy Calhoun to the trash bin, I want to see how he’ll do in an offense where the running game is a lot more fleshed out than Stitt’s simplified run/pass options allowed.

I feel like he’s the most complete back we have, and haven’t seen anything from the other backs that has changed my mind yet (not a knock on them, we’re blessed to have so many capable options, which is a credit to Stitt’s recruiting).

I have a feeling if Calhoun’s starting job was in question, he’d be playing right now.

Nobody is being relegated. I see a lot of folks reveling in the fact that there’s an abundance of talented options to turn to when/if needed. And given this is football, it is a question of when. This too can be turned into another egriz competition discussion ala the QB’s, or we can let the coaches decide who gets the carries & playing time. The reality is that they’re going to do that, like it or not because Hauck said the best 11’s would play.

alabamagrizzly said:
Dutch Lane said:
He saw the rb talent on the roster and went out and got a D1 guy

So for arguments sake, your saying the guys on our roster are not good enough cus they’re not D1A guys. I think the likes of Mariani, Beirman, Tim Hauck and many others would argue with you that just because they didn’t play D1A football, they were certainly good enough.

Yes, I do think he’ll play a lot, but I think if anyone’s gonna start over Calhoun, it’s gonna be Lee. I think Calhoun’s a better pass blocker, for one, he’s been working with Justin Green for four years now and that’s something Green really emphasizes. Lee runs with a fierce determination though that I think we haven’t seen since Chase and maybe even Lex. I imagine Eastwood isn’t a slouch at pass blocking since he was gonna play FB at SDS but obviously he wanted to run the ball and Bobby asking him to transfer was a great opportunity for him. But I’m sure he’s got a lot to learn in the protection aspect of the position still and that’s gonna take away some of his PT.

So back to your argument Dutch, are you saying Eastwood will start just because he’s a Bobby guy, or do you believe he’s a better all around back then Calhoun and Lee, who was also a D1A guy?

No AG what I said is I believe that Eastwood will be the feature back, meaning he will be featured or will be the star running back the starter if you will. Yeah all grizzly greats that defied the odds, you seem to be the only one who is arguing about whether they would be good enough to beat out Eastwood. Yeah in another fantasy world. But in this fantasy world I thought we were talking about the current rb crop. Because the thread is about who we like at running back not sure how referencing former Grizzly greats equates to who will start in Bobby’s offense.

I believe he will start because he has better size and all round skills, and I’m sure he’ll do fine in protection as a former fullback at a D1 school. Lol. I think you really hate the D1 think that Snead and Eastwood have going for them that and the fact Bobby brought them into specifically fill a need that he saw, and I’m sure Justin was consulted too. I’m relatively new here so don’t know if you are a Bobby guy or a stitt guy.

Back to your argument that Lee was also a D1 guy. When I use the term D1 guy, I’m referring to Snead and Eastwood who both accepted scholarships to D1 schools before Bobby brought them on board. Lee walked on at WSU, and sure he played on special teams some, but to say he was also D1 is pretty disengenuous, and pretty lame. Thanks

Dutch Lane said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Dutch Lane said:

So for arguments sake, your saying the guys on our roster are not good enough cus they’re not D1A guys. I think the likes of Mariani, Beirman, Tim Hauck and many others would argue with you that just because they didn’t play D1A football, they were certainly good enough.

Yes, I do think he’ll play a lot, but I think if anyone’s gonna start over Calhoun, it’s gonna be Lee. I think Calhoun’s a better pass blocker, for one, he’s been working with Justin Green for four years now and that’s something Green really emphasizes. Lee runs with a fierce determination though that I think we haven’t seen since Chase and maybe even Lex. I imagine Eastwood isn’t a slouch at pass blocking since he was gonna play FB at SDS but obviously he wanted to run the ball and Bobby asking him to transfer was a great opportunity for him. But I’m sure he’s got a lot to learn in the protection aspect of the position still and that’s gonna take away some of his PT.

So back to your argument Dutch, are you saying Eastwood will start just because he’s a Bobby guy, or do you believe he’s a better all around back then Calhoun and Lee, who was also a D1A guy?

No AG what I said is I believe that Eastwood will be the feature back, meaning he will be featured or will be the star running back the starter if you will. Yeah all grizzly greats that defied the odds, you seem to be the only one who is arguing about whether they would be good enough to beat out Eastwood. Yeah in another fantasy world. But in this fantasy world I thought we were talking about the current rb crop. Because the thread is about who we like at running back not sure how referencing former Grizzly greats equates to who will start in Bobby’s offense.

I believe he will start because he has better size and all round skills, and I’m sure he’ll do fine in protection as a former fullback at a D1 school. Lol. I think you really hate the D1 think that Snead and Eastwood have going for them that and the fact Bobby brought them into specifically fill a need that he saw, and I’m sure Justin was consulted too. I’m relatively new here so don’t know if you are a Bobby guy or a stitt guy.

Back to your argument that Lee was also a D1 guy. When I use the term D1 guy, I’m referring to Snead and Eastwood who both accepted scholarships to D1 schools before Bobby brought them on board. Lee walked on at WSU, and sure he played on special teams some, but to say he was also D1 is pretty disengenuous, and pretty lame. Thanks

No, thank you.

alabamagrizzly said:
Diesel said:
i_the_sky said:
Go Griz!

Well that’s cus Dutch has said many times he has fat fingers and can’t type very well on his little iPad, that should have a spell checker, unless he turned it off due to the inconvenience of it constantly correcting him.
AG what’s with the weird obsession with me and I the sky? Does poor grammar and spelling and run on posts carry more weight with you then football comments on a griz football board? My fat fingers and my randomly functioning spell check option on my little iPad are here for the football and not to be graded by one who fancies himself an American literature afficiandao. What does your post have anything to do with thread? Try to stay on point and remind us who all the other former Grizzly greats are who will start in front of Eastwood this season. Thanks

Dutch Lane said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Diesel said:
i_the_sky said:
Go Griz!

AG what’s with the weird obsession with me and I the sky? Does poor grammar and spelling and run on posts carry more weight with you then football comments on a griz football board? My fat fingers and my randomly functioning spell check option on my little iPad are here for the football and not to be graded by one who fancies himself an American literature afficiandao. What does your post have anything to do with thread? Try to stay on point and remind us who all the other former Grizzly greats are who will start in front of Eastwood this season. Thanks
That’s pretty funny right there. :D

grizfan95 said:
Dutch, two questions/points:

1) Do you have a job?

2) Please don't tell me it's for the state.

Lol. Actually the state wouldn’t hire me. So what are you implying that the frequency and length of my posts are somehow related to me having too much time on my hands? I have no idea what you could possibly be talking about

Dutch Lane said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Dutch Lane said:

Dear Dutch,

If you are going to continue to make this argument, with any authority, then you should know that Montana, and every other school in the BSC, ACC, MVCC, etc is "D1". The distinction is FBS or FCS.

Calhoun is the starting RB, baring any more injuries. He is a beast and he will show that in the fall in this offense. Eastwood, as a RS-fr, should make a solid back up this year and possibly push for a starting job next year.

I see nothing wrong with having 6 capable RBs and 2 good QBs. It is possible they will all be called upon next season.

I’m stuck in the past and still call it D1 A and D1 AA. Lol. I believe the rotation will be EAstwood, Calhoun and then Lee. I think if you go deeper then that then your best guys won’t get enough touches. And I believe that a qb gets better as the season goes and therefore am not a fan of qb carousels. The 1 needs to get as many snaps in a game to keep improving and only bring in the 2 to mop up and get experience, unless the 1 gets benched for sucking. Lol. I m in agreement that being loaded is obviously a good thing. I just thought we were just giving our predictions at qb and rb.

Dutch:Calhoun, Lee than whoever as far as depth chart. Calhoun and Lee are proven SRs. Your comparison between Lee and Eastwood is wrong. Size and durability go to Lee, I don’t care what size and weight are listed on a piece of paper. Lee is bigger than last year, he is built like a brick shithouse. Eastwood has twigs for legs. Lee has more experience and has done nothing to get bumped. Don’t get caught up in preseason stats, Eastwood is getting carries in spring ball, however Lee is better right now.

Back