• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hauck tasked with making Grizzlies relevant in football again

RayWill said:
Mavman said:
griznative24 said:
Paytonlives said:
I’m so sick of spoiled fans. Is top 30 in 120 plus teams relevant? Holy crap. UM just went through what some bandwagon fans want to lambaste as the worst time in UM history. What a joke. So in a time when some of you want to bitch and complain about above average records it really wasn’t that bad and could have been far worse.

Do we all wish it was better sure. But what happened for 20 years was NOT the norm it was a curve breaker.

Come back to the reality that almost every team in the FCS would take the record that UM had the last 7 years.

Y’all just plain spoiled

I agree with your sentiment, but the reality is that "relevant" in the FCS is being one of the last 8 teams standing (which usually means at least one ESPN nationally televised game), and producing CFL and NFL talent, year in, year out.
I was born in '89, so the Griz I know won from the time I went to my first game and up until 2013 or so. I expect the Griz to compete, and I won't let this little run of incompetence ruin my expectations. Am I spoiled as a fan? Hell yea I'm spoiled! I grew up in Missoula, got to sit in one of the best college football venues in the country every fall, and watched the Griz beat the hell out of teams weekly. That's the definition of spoiled, and I want that back!
One other misconception is that griz teams used to "beat the hell out of teams"
Especially during Bobby's tenure there where many many close games that his team pulled out at the end. WE called it "Griz Magic" because no matter how bad the situation the Griz were never out of a game!

Exactly. The only coached team that I remember that routinely beat the hell out of teams was Glenn and a that it was one season and there still some close games but at that those close games never felt in doubt of a Griz Victory. Also I remember alot of games that the final score was closer than the game was becuase of garbage time points. They also got drubbed by Hawaii With Hauck it was the never give up can't win attitude and just plain grit and talent that found a way to win.
You write like a 4th grader. Who could possibly extract your point from this gibberish....

RayWill said:
Mavman said:
griznative24 said:
Paytonlives said:
I’m so sick of spoiled fans. Is top 30 in 120 plus teams relevant? Holy crap. UM just went through what some bandwagon fans want to lambaste as the worst time in UM history. What a joke. So in a time when some of you want to bitch and complain about above average records it really wasn’t that bad and could have been far worse.

Do we all wish it was better sure. But what happened for 20 years was NOT the norm it was a curve breaker.

Come back to the reality that almost every team in the FCS would take the record that UM had the last 7 years.

Y’all just plain spoiled

I agree with your sentiment, but the reality is that "relevant" in the FCS is being one of the last 8 teams standing (which usually means at least one ESPN nationally televised game), and producing CFL and NFL talent, year in, year out.
I was born in '89, so the Griz I know won from the time I went to my first game and up until 2013 or so. I expect the Griz to compete, and I won't let this little run of incompetence ruin my expectations. Am I spoiled as a fan? Hell yea I'm spoiled! I grew up in Missoula, got to sit in one of the best college football venues in the country every fall, and watched the Griz beat the hell out of teams weekly. That's the definition of spoiled, and I want that back!
Especially during Bobby's tenure there where many many close games that his team pulled out at the end. WE called it "Griz Magic" because no matter how bad the situation the Griz were never out of a game!

Exactly. The only coached team that I remember that routinely beat the hell out of teams was Glenn and a that it was one season and there still some close games but at that those close games never felt in doubt of a Griz Victory. Also I remember alot of games that the final score was closer than the game was becuase of garbage time points. They also got drubbed by Hawaii With Hauck it was the never give up can't win attitude and just plain grit and talent that found a way to win.
If one would examine the facts instead of laying out opinion after opinion based on selective memories, one would find that the average scoring margin during the 3 Glenn years was +13.511. The average scoring margin during the 7 Hauck years was +13.134. Maybe we can go 17 pages over that huge discrepancy.

uofmman1122 said:
Silenoz said:
For curiosity's sake, what happens if you start at 2012? Since one could argue that that is when our irrelevance started to become a thing.
We drop to 40-30 (57%).

Not sure where that puts us among the other teams, but it’s a pretty sizable drop.

Not sure where you got your numbers from mann. Maybe you looked at MSU’s record.

2012 5-6
2013 10-3
2014 9-5
2015 8-5
2016 6-5
2017 7-4

Total 45-28 .616%

Not world beaters but not disgraceful. I’m sure it’s probably still in the top 30 of the FCS. For the ultimate cherry pickers, Stitt’s 3 year reign was 21-14, good for a .600%, also in the top 30 I’d bet.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
Silenoz said:
For curiosity's sake, what happens if you start at 2012? Since one could argue that that is when our irrelevance started to become a thing.
We drop to 40-30 (57%).

Not sure where that puts us among the other teams, but it’s a pretty sizable drop.

Not sure where you got your numbers from mann. Maybe you looked at MSU’s record.

2012 5-6
2013 10-3
2014 9-5
2015 8-5
2016 6-5
2017 7-4

Total 45-28 .616%

Not world beaters but not disgraceful. I’m sure it’s probably still in the top 30 of the FCS. For the ultimate cherry pickers, Stitt’s 3 year reign was 21-14, good for a .600%, also in the top 30 I’d bet.
I see what happened. The previous post didn’t include all the games from 2011. So we should be 56-31 (.643) since 2011. I think I also confused us with Fordham, who had 33 losses.

uofmman1122 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
Silenoz said:
We drop to 40-30 (57%).

2012 5-6
2013 10-3
2014 9-5
2015 8-5
2016 6-5
2017 7-4

Total 45-28 .616%

I see what happened. The previous post didn’t include all the games from 2011. So we should be 56-31 (.643) since 2011. I think I also confused us with Fordham, who had 33 losses.

Gotchya, I’m with grizfan95 on the ‘11 games. I don’t care what the NCAA says about some hotdogs or watever. Our record was 11-3 with our season ended by a pretty awesome Sam Houston St team who has owned the Big Sky in the post season. They are 9-2 against us in the postseason since ‘01 with both losses coming to us early in their maturation. That’s including ‘12 where they were the true “Big Sky Champs” going 3-0 against the top three teams in the con in the postseason.

kemajic said:
RayWill said:
Mavman said:
griznative24 said:

If one would examine the facts instead of laying out opinion after opinion based on selective memories, one would find that the average scoring margin during the 3 Glenn years was +13.511. The average scoring margin during the 7 Hauck years was +13.134. Maybe we can go 17 pages over that huge discrepancy.

Have to love stats! Thanks for posting this.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
We drop to 40-30 (57%).

2012 5-6
2013 10-3
2014 9-5
2015 8-5
2016 6-5
2017 7-4

Total 45-28 .616%

Gotchya, I’m with grizfan95 on the ‘11 games. I don’t care what the NCAA says about some hotdogs or watever. Our record was 11-3 with our season ended by a pretty awesome Sam Houston St team who has owned the Big Sky in the post season. They are 9-2 against us in the postseason since ‘01 with both losses coming to us early in their maturation. That’s including ‘12 where they were the true “Big Sky Champs” going 3-0 against the top three teams in the con in the postseason.
I also love how we had to forfeit just our wins, while the Sam Houston loss is still official. :roll:

kemajic said:
RayWill said:
Mavman said:
griznative24 said:

Exactly. The only coached team that I remember that routinely beat the hell out of teams was Glenn and a that it was one season and there still some close games but at that those close games never felt in doubt of a Griz Victory. Also I remember alot of games that the final score was closer than the game was because of garbage time points. They also got drubbed by Hawaii With Hauck it was the never give up can't win attitude and just plain grit and talent that found a way to win.

As I stated only one season where they had a few games that really drubbed the opponent and then let them catch up in overtime making the scoring margin much lower. Statistics do not always show the whole story. You are correct though that over the three years he was here he about the same average and more than a fair share of close games. Even in 2001 ISU Bengals gave the Griz a surprisingly tough game.

Latest posts

Back