• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hauck tasked with making Grizzlies relevant in football again

Silenoz said:
Paytonlives said:
I’m so sick of spoiled fans. Is top 30 in 120 plus teams relevant?

Well if you remove the Ivy league, the non/low scholarship leagues like the Pioneer or NEC, the SWAC, most of the MEAC, and so forth, how many teams are you left with? Because finishing top 30 out of 60 teams that actually fully compete in FCS is not impressive.

And even that is assuming teams like Idaho State or Indiana State could be considered fully invested.
Why stop there. If you remove 31-120, we are at the bottom!!! jfc. :roll:

Paytonlives said:
Silenoz said:
Paytonlives said:

Well if you remove the Ivy league, the non/low scholarship leagues like the Pioneer or NEC, the SWAC, most of the MEAC, and so forth, how many teams are you left with? Because finishing top 30 out of 60 teams that actually fully compete in FCS is not impressive.

And even that is assuming teams like Idaho State or Indiana State could be considered fully invested.

And if you take away all the Republicans then Hillary would be president.

And the russians...#TrumpIsPutinsBitch

Basic Law of Gravity -- "What goes up must come down." The question is how long does it take to get back up. Last year, despite the record, was about as down as this team has been in the last 40+ years!

While the 2018 team may not meet some of the lofty expectations that some have promised, one thing is for certain. The Griz will be much improved on both defense and special teams. That, in and of itself should make the team more competitive than the past couple years. The downward slide we have seen the past couple years is coming to an end.

Paytonlives said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz are not even "relevant".
It’s sadly true IMO. I’ve felt that way for some time. Last year when Weber made us look like dog shit it was obvious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m so sick of spoiled fans. Is top 30 in 120 plus teams relevant? Holy crap. UM just went through what some bandwagon fans want to lambaste as the worst time in UM history. What a joke. So in a time when some of you want to bitch and complain about above average records it really wasn’t that bad and could have been far worse.

Do we all wish it was better sure. But what happened for 20 years was NOT the norm it was a curve breaker.

Come back to the reality that almost every team in the FCS would take the record that UM had the last 7 years.

Y’all just plain spoiled

I agree with your sentiment, but the reality is that "relevant" in the FCS is being one of the last 8 teams standing (which usually means at least one ESPN nationally televised game), and producing CFL and NFL talent, year in, year out.
I was born in '89, so the Griz I know won from the time I went to my first game and up until 2013 or so. I expect the Griz to compete, and I won't let this little run of incompetence ruin my expectations. Am I spoiled as a fan? Hell yea I'm spoiled! I grew up in Missoula, got to sit in one of the best college football venues in the country every fall, and watched the Griz beat the hell out of teams weekly. That's the definition of spoiled, and I want that back!

Yukon said:
Silenoz said:
Paytonlives said:

Why stop there. If you remove 31-120, we are at the bottom!!! jfc. :roll:
Cool, we can outcompete the SWAC and NEC. Carry on.

Paytonlives said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
It’s sadly true IMO. I’ve felt that way for some time. Last year when Weber made us look like dog shit it was obvious

I’m so sick of spoiled fans. Is top 30 in 120 plus teams relevant? Holy crap. UM just went through what some bandwagon fans want to lambaste as the worst time in UM history. What a joke. So in a time when some of you want to bitch and complain about above average records it really wasn’t that bad and could have been far worse.

Do we all wish it was better sure. But what happened for 20 years was NOT the norm it was a curve breaker.

Come back to the reality that almost every team in the FCS would take the record that UM had the last 7 years.

Y’all just plain spoiled

Sooo is this a good the word to bring up the word "mediocrity " no?? Yes ??

The title of this thread is the “relevance” versus possible “irrelevance” of Griz football. Sure, we’d all like to see conference championships, playoff runs, and even a National Championship (and preferably several). But only one team can win the Nattie, so relevance has to be judged on the basis of win and losses. Some people on here are pulling numbers out of their a**es, and eliminating willie-nillie teams that “don’t matter.” One of those numbers is that the Grizz are in the “top 30” of all FCS. On what basis? I assume last year’s NCAA power ranking, which seems reasonable to me.

But that’s just one year. Paytonlives settled on the last seven years as an overall W-L period for a comparison. That encompasses Pflugrads last year on to the present … which works for me. So here we go with some actual numbers. (What a concept!) For my own amusement, I have grayed out teams that “don’t matter” -- to me. That’s mostly based on last year’s power rankings.

FCS W-L Records, 2011-2017

NDSU . . . . . . . . . 97-08 . . 92.4%
Harvard . . . . . . . 57-13 . . 81.4%
SHSU . . . . . . . . . 80-22 . . 78.4%
San Diego . . . . . 63-18 . . 77.8%
Jacksonville St . . 67-21 . . 76.1%
JMU . . . . . . .. . . 67-24 . . 73.6%
NC A&T . . .. . . . 59-22 . . 72.8%
EWU . . . . . . . . . 64-24 . . 72.7%
Beth-Cook . . . . 56-24 . . 70.0%
McNeese . . . . . . 54-25 . . 68.4%
Central Ark. . . . 58-27 . . 68.2%
UNH . . . . . . . . . 62-30 . . 67.4%
SDSU . . . . . . . . 60-31 . . 65.9%
Dartmouth . . . . 46-24 . . 65.7%
Dayton . . .. . . . 51-27 . . 65.4%

Illinois St. . .. . . 56-30 . . 65.1%
Jacksonville . . . 49-27 . . 64.5%
Lehigh . . . .. . . 52-29 . . 64.2%
Drake . . . . . . . 49-28 . . 63.6%
Duquesne . . . . 50-29 . . 63.3%

Wofford . . .. . . 53-32 . . 62.4%
Montana . . . . . 51-31 . . 62.2%
Fordham . . . . . 51-33 . . 60.7%
YSU . . . . . . . . 51-33 . . 60.7%
NAU . . . . . . . . 49-32 . . 60.5%
Samford . . . . . 49-32 . . 60.5%
No. Iowa . .. . . 53-35 . . 60.2%
Richmond . . . . 52-35 . . 59.8%
MSU . . . . . . . . 50-34 . . 59.5%
Towson . . . . . . 51-35 . . 59.3%
Stony Brook . . . 49-34 . . 59.0%
Chattanooga . . 50-35 . . 58.8%
Grambling . . . . 49-35 . . 58.3%
Prairie View . . . 50-36 . . 58.1%
UT-Martin . . . . 46-34 . . 57.5%
Tennessee St. . . 46-34 . . 57.5%
Alabama St. . . . 45-34 . . 57.0%

Villanova . . . . . 47-36 . . 56.6%

Various people might quibble about the teams I have grayed out … and that’s fine. I hesitated about North Carolina A&T, but they had a really good power number, so they "stayed." But I don’t think many would argue about down-grading San Diego, Bethune-Cookman, Dayton and the others.

Anyway, when you do that cut and use the overall 2011-2017 records, there are only twelve teams ahead of the Griz. I’d call that pretty damn good. And pay attention to some teams that we think of as pretty good, but they’re below UM, like: Northern Iowa, Richmond and Villanova. Are those teams irrelevant? I don’t think.

For curiosity's sake, what happens if you start at 2012? Since one could argue that that is when our irrelevance started to become a thing.

IdaGriz01 said:
The title of this thread is the “relevance” versus possible “irrelevance” of Griz football. Sure, we’d all like to see conference championships, playoff runs, and even a National Championship (and preferably several). But only one team can win the Nattie, so relevance has to be judged on the basis of win and losses. Some people on here are pulling numbers out of their a**es, and eliminating willie-nillie teams that “don’t matter.” One of those numbers is that the Grizz are in the “top 30” of all FCS. On what basis? I assume last year’s NCAA power ranking, which seems reasonable to me.

But that’s just one year. Paytonlives settled on the last seven years as an overall W-L period for a comparison. That encompasses Pflugrads last year on to the present … which works for me. So here we go with some actual numbers. (What a concept!) For my own amusement, I have grayed out teams that “don’t matter” -- to me. That’s mostly based on last year’s power rankings.

FCS W-L Records, 2011-2017

NDSU . . . . . . . . . 97-08 . . 92.4%
Harvard . . . . . . . 57-13 . . 81.4%
SHSU . . . . . . . . . 80-22 . . 78.4%
San Diego . . . . . 63-18 . . 77.8%
Jacksonville St . . 67-21 . . 76.1%
JMU . . . . . . .. . . 67-24 . . 73.6%
NC A&T . . .. . . . 59-22 . . 72.8%
EWU . . . . . . . . . 64-24 . . 72.7%
Beth-Cook . . . . 56-24 . . 70.0%
McNeese . . . . . . 54-25 . . 68.4%
Central Ark. . . . 58-27 . . 68.2%
UNH . . . . . . . . . 62-30 . . 67.4%
SDSU . . . . . . . . 60-31 . . 65.9%
Dartmouth . . . . 46-24 . . 65.7%
Dayton . . .. . . . 51-27 . . 65.4%

Illinois St. . .. . . 56-30 . . 65.1%
Jacksonville . . . 49-27 . . 64.5%
Lehigh . . . .. . . 52-29 . . 64.2%
Drake . . . . . . . 49-28 . . 63.6%
Duquesne . . . . 50-29 . . 63.3%

Wofford . . .. . . 53-32 . . 62.4%
Montana . . . . . 51-31 . . 62.2%
Fordham . . . . . 51-33 . . 60.7%
YSU . . . . . . . . 51-33 . . 60.7%
NAU . . . . . . . . 49-32 . . 60.5%
Samford . . . . . 49-32 . . 60.5%
No. Iowa . .. . . 53-35 . . 60.2%
Richmond . . . . 52-35 . . 59.8%
MSU . . . . . . . . 50-34 . . 59.5%
Towson . . . . . . 51-35 . . 59.3%
Stony Brook . . . 49-34 . . 59.0%
Chattanooga . . 50-35 . . 58.8%
Grambling . . . . 49-35 . . 58.3%
Prairie View . . . 50-36 . . 58.1%
UT-Martin . . . . 46-34 . . 57.5%
Tennessee St. . . 46-34 . . 57.5%
Alabama St. . . . 45-34 . . 57.0%

Villanova . . . . . 47-36 . . 56.6%

Various people might quibble about the teams I have grayed out … and that’s fine. I hesitated about North Carolina A&T, but they had a really good power number, so they "stayed." But I don’t think many would argue about down-grading San Diego, Bethune-Cookman, Dayton and the others.

Anyway, when you do that cut and use the overall 2011-2017 records, there are only twelve teams ahead of the Griz. I’d call that pretty damn good. And pay attention to some teams that we think of as pretty good, but they’re below UM, like: Northern Iowa, Richmond and Villanova. Are those teams irrelevant? I don’t think.

I knew you’d come through... :clap:

Silenoz said:
For curiosity's sake, what happens if you start at 2012? Since one could argue that that is when our irrelevance started to become a thing.
We drop to 40-30 (57%).

Not sure where that puts us among the other teams, but it’s a pretty sizable drop.

griznative24 said:
Paytonlives said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Y’all just plain spoiled

I agree with your sentiment, but the reality is that "relevant" in the FCS is being one of the last 8 teams standing (which usually means at least one ESPN nationally televised game), and producing CFL and NFL talent, year in, year out.
I was born in '89, so the Griz I know won from the time I went to my first game and up until 2013 or so. I expect the Griz to compete, and I won't let this little run of incompetence ruin my expectations. Am I spoiled as a fan? Hell yea I'm spoiled! I grew up in Missoula, got to sit in one of the best college football venues in the country every fall, and watched the Griz beat the hell out of teams weekly. That's the definition of spoiled, and I want that back!
One other misconception is that griz teams used to "beat the hell out of teams"
Especially during Bobby's tenure there where many many close games that his team pulled out at the end. WE called it "Griz Magic" because no matter how bad the situation the Griz were never out of a game!

Mavman said:
griznative24 said:
Paytonlives said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Y’all just plain spoiled

Especially during Bobby's tenure there where many many close games that his team pulled out at the end. WE called it "Griz Magic" because no matter how bad the situation the Griz were never out of a game!

Exactly. The only team that I remember that routinely beat the hell out of teams was Glenn and at that it was only one season (2001) Had few lousy games too, Hawaii, few squeakers (ISU). Also I remember a lot of games that year that the final score was closer than the game was, becuase of garbage time points. With Hauck it was the never give up can't win attitude and just plain grit and talent that found a way to win but they never blew teams out of the water.

Mavman said:
griznative24 said:
Paytonlives said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Y’all just plain spoiled

Sometimes you can "beat the hell out of teams" in various ways.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgu7GtFhGY[/media]

Quick question and this is important. Does Costco have any Griz lawn chairs? Spokane has Seahawks, WSU and UW chairs. If they do how much? Thanks for listening to my relevant question.

Yes, and a kickass awning. The chairs that I've seen, if I recall correctly, go for about $35/per. I admit I was more focused on the 82" UHD TV tho... I'm waffling btwn that and a 120" high def projection screen system. It'd go great with my 7.2 internal surround sound system in my theater room, but I digress....u can see why the wife had to drag me away...

IdahoGrizFan said:
Quick question and this is important. Does Costco have any Griz lawn chairs? Spokane has Seahawks, WSU and UW chairs. If they do how much? Thanks for listening to my relevant question.

Didn't hear a thing...

IdahoGrizFan said:

I too find this relevant and would seriously like to know

Harm said:
Yes, and a kickass awning. The chairs that I've seen, if I recall correctly, go for about $35/per. I admit I was more focused on the 82" UHD TV tho... I'm waffling btwn that and a 120" high def projection screen system. It'd go great with my 7.2 internal surround sound system in my theater room, but I digress....u can see why the wife had to drag me away...

Thanks for the info. Be in Missoula on Saturday and plan to pick up a couple.

Griz fans are spoiled and I am not sure that is debatable at this point. Fairly obvious. The author of the article is correct - things have changed. For one, Wa Griz is better. The BSC better get used to Bobby and the Griz kicking their ass. They will get one or two years at most before the Griz start rolling. I was never a huge fan of Bobby’s swagger, but he is a winner. He gloats sometimes, but he is a winner and he is hard nosed. His players will be also. Time is all they need. Time and continued solid recruiting

Back