• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz soccer 2017

We get in the final 1/3 and just dont put it in good places very often and when we do noone is finishing. Most shots are from way outside which I understand as we are not being successful from closer in

cmtgrizzly said:
We get in the final 1/3 and just dont put it in good places very often and when we do noone is finishing. Most shots are from way outside which I understand as we are not being successful from closer in

SOG are generally score threatening shots and we are dominating in those also. The way we attack and take over, like in that OT period there is awesome. If we can maintain that into the post season, we'll win us another BSC championship.

Big soccer game today at 2:00 at Eastern Washington. Griz (4-1-1) in conference play the Eagles (5-0-1). Eagles have been smoking their conference opponents outscoring them 15 to 1 in the six conference games.

84GRIZ said:
Big soccer game today at 2:00 at Eastern Washington. Griz (4-1-1) in conference play the Eagles (5-0-1). Eagles have been smoking their conference opponents outscoring them 15 to 1 in the six conference games.
Unfortunately, Griz lost 1-0 on an own-goal against EWU...Griz out shot them 15-6, but the own goal was scored in the first minute of the match.

Yep, good result for regular season. They do have to find a way to score more. Thankfully our D is good. I think there will be at least one game that will require at least two goals or more to win.

cmtgrizzly said:
Yep, good result for regular season. They do have to find a way to score more. Thankfully our D is good. I think there will be at least one game that will require at least two goals or more to win.

Frustrating to have 15 shots and 1 goal. Need to work on that...

AZDoc said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Frustrating to have 15 shots and 1 goal. Need to work on that...

Agreed! If we improve our scoring efficiency a little bit we will be tough to beat. I have been to two games and watched another 4 or so online. We take a lot of shots from well outside the 18 which is fine but most are not dangerous shots. Got to play the ball through a bit sooner and cross it a bit sooner as well. We dont get very many body parts (feet, heads, etc) on crosses. I am sure we will improve this area and will be a really tough team, not just in the BSC, over the next few years.

cmtgrizzly said:

We were doing this same thing against Portland State. Launching shots from 30 and 40 yards out that have basically zero chance of scoring, really frustrating, especially when the forwards are making runs into the box. We were also shooting from the wing at terrible angles or crossing from the wing right at the goalie instead of to the middle of the box. That was why at one point the announcer said we had 16 shots and only one was on goal and that was the goal we scored.

In the extra time we started to work the ball in and really dominated but could not get one across. It is really frustrating to watch them do that in the last game of the conference season and take 90 minutes in that game to figure it out.

84GRIZ said:
cmtgrizzly said:

We were doing this same thing against Portland State. Launching shots from 30 and 40 yards out that have basically zero chance of scoring, really frustrating, especially when the forwards are making runs into the box. We were also shooting from the wing at terrible angles or crossing from the wing right at the goalie instead of to the middle of the box. That was why at one point the announcer said we had 16 shots and only one was on goal and that was the goal we scored.

In the extra time we started to work the ball in and really dominated but could not get one across. It is really frustrating to watch them do that in the last game of the conference season and take 90 minutes in that game to figure it out.

Agree. Have to find a way to get the ball in the box to one of our players. Take less deep shots and instead work the ball into the box. I am all for taking some shots from outside but alot of those shots feel like surrendering the possession and instead we should hold the possession and get the ball in a more dangerous position by executing a switch to the other side and crossing it or chipping it in the box for someone to attack through the middle. Easy for me to say since I am not the one doing the work but would like the team to be successful. I am sure Plakorus has a plan and better ideas than me and will improve our scoring efficiency. We will be a tough out in the tourney!

cmtgrizzly said:
84GRIZ said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Agree. Have to find a way to get the ball in the box to one of our players. Take less deep shots and instead work the ball into the box. I am all for taking some shots from outside but alot of those shots feel like surrendering the possession and instead we should hold the possession and get the ball in a more dangerous position by executing a switch to the other side and crossing it or chipping it in the box for someone to attack through the middle. Easy for me to say since I am not the one doing the work but would like the team to be successful. I am sure Plakorus has a plan and better ideas than me and will improve our scoring efficiency. We will be a tough out in the tourney!

I'm not comparing them to my 11 year old daughter's team (that I helped coach...uuughhh), but we would get multiple similar issues. It seems like 1 more dribble to change the angle or get just that much closer before the shot made all the difference. I imagine the same in college, especially with their ability. I get the speed, blah blah, but it's all about angles, location, rebounds, crosses at any level...and 30 is a boot.

AZDoc said:
cmtgrizzly said:
84GRIZ said:
cmtgrizzly said:

I'm not comparing them to my 11 year old daughter's team (that I helped coach...uuughhh), but we would get multiple similar issues. It seems like 1 more dribble to change the angle or get just that much closer before the shot made all the difference. I imagine the same in college, especially with their ability. I get the speed, blah blah, but it's all about angles, location, rebounds, crosses at any level...and 30 is a boot.

Totally right. Angles matter. Alot of it comes from making the decision to play the ball through a step or two sooner and crossing it a step or two sooner. Makes all the difference kind of like being able to put the ball in tight windows in football.

Griz up 1 to zip and just got a goal called back for offsides when NC had a defender literally standing on the end line. Guess the Big Sky refs suck in all sports.

Guess we need to start a "fire Plakorus" thread. Just kidding. Bummer finish to the year though. I hate having to play in Cheany. Still, this team will be stronger next year. All in all, we were a very young team. Of the 8 Sr's on this team, only 3 of them were regular starters. A lot of Fr played big minutes.

alabamagrizzly said:
Guess we need to start a "fire Plakorus" thread. Just kidding. Bummer finish to the year though. I hate having to play in Cheany. Still, this team will be stronger next year. All in all, we were a very young team. Of the 8 Sr's on this team, only 3 of them were regular starters. A lot of Fr played big minutes.

More like fire the BSC assistant ref that called our 2nd goal offsides. Rewatched it on Big Sky TV (42:39 of the second half) clearly not off sides since one NC defender was almost on the end line and the Griz that scored was in front of the goalie when the pass was made. That call changed the whole complextion of the game.

Back